What if we don't get Sancho over the line?

OleTheGreat

I'm an optimistic person and I believe our board (Ed and company) our working towards an agreement with the player and his agents and soon we can hear the good news but the pessimistic side of me is asking this question, what if we don't manage to get him? Is this the end of the world? Maybe for him. Honestly, how bad can it be without him? Is top 4 unreachable? Are we going to watch Ole struggle to get them to score goals? What's this obsession about this one player? Get your thoughts in!

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Chelsea have seriously brought in quality this season, United would be scrapping for top 4, but the squad is very good, the young players are maturing. Greenwood, Rashford, Martial will only ever get better, and with a fully fit Pogba, Bruno and VDB it's still an upwards trajectory.

It wouldn't be the end of the world, but Sancho is needed for a title challenge (with a few other additions).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We should still get top 4.

But it would be a big blow to miss out on a top class talent that's clearly available.

It's important to move forward in every summer window though. And we'd need to add more players to make up for it. VDB is not nearly enough.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It’s do or die. At least it’s do or die without some attacking signing.

We have no attacking subs that can come on and make an impact in a game and one injury, and we are starting Mata/Lingard/James in important games. It’s too many potential points dropped.

Chelsea have a wealth of options, even Arsenal now have Willian/Saka/Martinelli

In short, we desperately need an attacking signing before the window closes, or top 4 is the very best we can hope for, and even that depends on who we have available in that front 3 over the course of a long season.

maximus419

I think a central striker is more of a pressing concern than a need to sign Sancho.

I think we don't have an alternative to mix up the play without a physical striker and that for me is key to the teams chances of success.

A few teams last season showed that if they defend deep, deny space and make it a physical contest that utd struggle to score. We are very open to counter attacks as we commit more players in an attempt to break teams down.

So a quick central defender and a powerful striker are necessary to negate these teams we seem to struggle against often. We also need that depth to the squad with a tough champs league campaign ahead too.

CG1010

Given our three massive attacking talents at the club along with Bruno and Pogba, we should be fine for top 4. And we have added Van De Beek to the roster too.

But if we want to grow as a team closer to the PL title, then we need atleast one of Rashford, Martial or Greenwood to really step up this season. Which is entirely possible btw. To me, Martial specially looks ready to take the world by storm. Greenwood in comparison may have a subdued season after a brilliant first one. Which is why adding Sancho would have been great. But it is certainly not the end of the world.

lsd

The Oracle
We could then start one million threads saying "why did we not sign Sancho " and "who is to blame for not signing sancho " etc

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Then Sancho will remain at the wrong side of the line

MrEarl

United's fullbacks have serious limitations on their ability to provide offensive width . So they need two wingers. Rushford meets the need on the left but they still have to fill the right wing. Hence the big push for Sancho. He is a huge talent that plays a position United need to strengthen.

Greenwood is an excellent number 9 with enormous potential but he is not a winger. If United don't land Sancho, they are going to have to fill that right wing position. They are trying to do what City has done with their lack of fullback offense.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
If they don’t get Sancho, and I don’t think they will then they should have another option for a player who plays in a similar position.

If the back end of last season showed us anything, it was that the first 11 is good enough for top 4 but behind that there’s not a right lot else.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He only has to look at what happened to Griezmann for not joining us when he had the chance. All downhill from there.

pacifictheme

I think the squad benefits more this summer from getting in 3 players of the level of vdb than 1 sancho. Personally. Think getting sancho without strengthening other areas is putting a cherry on top of a cake before you've made the cake.

Adding Sancho to the squad that ended last season doesn't make us title contenders, and if we had just signed him I think we would have still had such a weak second 11, with very few rotation options. I expect vdb to be able to rotate with fernandes and pogba, not just be their cover.

If we can get 2 more like him over the line I think we are much better prepared for a condenced season than bringing in one mega star. The aim this season should be comfortably top 4, looking to get 75 plus points.

R0nald0

Under a rug on top of a mountain under the stars.
If we don't get Sancho (and I think we will) then I wouldn't be against bringing Bale in on either a loan or a free transfer for a couple of seasons. Bale could be the stop gap until Greenwood matures into the world class player he has the potential to be. They would all get enough games as Greenwood can cover RW and CF, Bale can also cover LW as well as rotate on the RW with Greenwood

Okey

Get another good right winger. There has to be a good few out there. A scouting network can't possibly find only one option for a position of need. Surely Sancho is Option A, but if that fails, activate option B or even C. We'll be a better team with any decent quality right winger next season.

Nickelodeon

Not his biggest fan, far from it, but if we don't get him, I'll kill myself

Red Comet

But it would be a big blow to miss out on a top class talent that's clearly available.

It's important to move forward in every summer window though. And we'd need to add more players to make up for it. VDB is not nearly enough.
We would be lucky to still stay in top 4.

Safe to say, barring a meltdown of epic porportions Liverpool and Man City will be there. Chelsea has strengthen massively and has shown a spotlight on the incompetence that is Ed Woodward / Matt Judge. It is up to Lampard to make use of the talent at his disposal, and one hopes that the new signings don't gel too quickly.

This leaves the 4th spot.

Arsenal is slowly getting their shit together under Arteta and this is Jose's first full season for Spurs so expect a strong challenge from them. Leicester has somehow manage to sell a key player every season but still challenge.

We have only signed VDB. While no doubt a good signing, MF is not the most urgent and pressing part where we need a player. A lot hinges on whether Woodward and get Sancho across the line, and if not, if he can quickly bring in alternatives.

AneRu

This but I think there are other ways of improving this team besides just getting Sancho in. We could tighten up the defense by getting an upgrade on Lindelof for example or use up funds we had set aside to bring in Sancho on a DM like Partey and sign someone like Brooks for the squad.

If all goes well Greenwood has the ability to match whatever output we could expect from Sancho so if we get Brooks we would have depth plus quality. Someone like Partey would bring European pedigree and bite to our midfield also enabling us to play Pogba and Bruno/VDB without having to worry about being overly exposed defensively.

That being said I still want us to sign Sancho but missing out on him wont be disastrous if we play our cards right. Going Sancho or bust will kill our season imo.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Safe to say, barring a meltdown of epic porportions Liverpool and Man City will be there. Chelsea has strengthen massively and has shown a spotlight on the incompetence that is Ed Woodward / Matt Judge. It is up to Lampard to make use of the talent at his disposal, and one hopes that the new signings don't gel too quickly.

Arsenal is slowly getting their shit together under Arteta and this is Jose's first full season for Spurs so expect a strong challenge from them. Leicester has somehow manage to sell a key player every season but still challenge.

We have only signed VDB. While no doubt a good signing, MF is not the most urgent and pressing part where we need a player. A lot hinges on whether Woodward and get Sancho across the line, and if not, if he can quickly bring in alternatives.
Our squad is much better than Spurs and Arsenal's. If Ole can't ensure that we finish above those two then we are in serious trouble anyway.

Josep Dowling

If we don’t get Sancho go a buy another bloody RW! If we target only one player is it any wonder we pay over the odds. That’s football. Move on and still try to strengthen.

Smores

Lucky to get top 4 with this squad, the best one we've had in years?

What's with this mental downplaying of expectations from posters recently. Did i dream all those recent seasons where dropping out of the top 4 was adject failure and even 2nd was just okay.

The Sancho signing should have us challenging for the title ffs.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It would mean we aren't much stronger than last year and Chelsea especially have probably over taken us.

On the plus side it would mean more football for Greenwood, and if he can realise his potential we might not ever think of Sancho again.

Saying that though Sancho is cover for both wings which is very important. It'll mean relying on Mata/Lingard/James.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Battle for 4th.

Van de Beek, Thiago, Reguilon & a CB wouldn’t be a disaster, but it wouldn’t be great either. Unlikely anyway as Thiago most likely ends up at Liverpool

It means more Dan James or Lingard getting 30+ games. Urgh.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I always have the idea that with the same attacking players we are currently have, those attacking players are still good enough to make top 4. So not getting Sancho is just not the end of the world. Can we hit 80 league goals minimum next season without Sancho? I would say yes which depends on how Greenwood, Rashford & Martial can step up their level from previous season.

In ideal world but also reachable, this is what you expect from our attackers to perform to help us to reach that 80 league goals:

Rashford - 15 league goals
Martial - 20 league goals
Greenwood - 15 league goals
Bruno - 15 league goals

Total: 65 goals from 4 players

Van de Beek - 8 league goals
Pogba and others - 10 league goals

So total goals will be: 83 goals which I think in term scoring goals alone that's very good output and we won't feel like we are missing signing Sancho. Improving the defense to perform more consistent would give us solid season.

choccy77

I'd be more worried if we fail to get the ball over the line tbh.

TheRedHearted

I was reading in a Dortmund thread how they’ve heard absolutely no news for a long long time. Basically the news united fans have been hearing is full of hot air. They haven’t heard a drop and they sort of feel bad for us for getting all of these pieces of “news” information

Bobski

With all the issues at Barca I wonder if Demebele on loan for a year is possible.