What if we get Maguire? (not so much if anymore)

AUnitedOpinion

I don't think he is the "big fish" we all want but i think he will be vital for us. Any other half decent center back would to be honest.
But he is good in the air, good with his feet and will improve our team straight away.
Him and AWB as new signings in our back four i think would really help us this season from conceding too many goals.

kirk buttercup

He will become a very stable favourite here I believe . Apparently a good leader which above all else is what we need when Ashley young is your captain you can see we lack leaders . Alot of debate over him but I think he will do well here .

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
So many pre any pre-season games questioned AWB and now look at the praise he's getting

I have no doubt Maguire will be a fan favourite just like he's become for the England national team

Revaulx

I’m not convinced he's much better than Jones, though his injury record clearly makes him a far more useful player. That could change as soon as he’s signed for us of course.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think our problems at building the ball up from the back will be gone, while also having a dominant center back in the air, and also having a clear and stable back 4 that we always pick and who can manage to stay fit (well, for the most part). Problems will then shift to defensive coverage in midfield leaving the back 4 exposed too often as we'll play Pogba next to McTominay and really be lacking in that holding player.

3KDré

If we assume he is a good signing, I still believe we need a 'controlling' type midfielder and a right winger neither of which we are likely to sign before the end of the window.

Alemar

Is he the big fish we all want and what do you believe his impact would be for our club regarding the upcoming campaign?
First off, and it is conditional upon him staying injury-free of course, we will pretty much stop playing mediocre players in Bailly, Jones and Marcos Rojo. Maguire is not joining us to be a squad player - only to be an undisputable starter (so oportunities for the others become more limited). The standard of required performance will improve.

Secondly, Maguire's biggest strength is fantastic heading - it will help greatly considering that dealing with crosses is perhaps the single obvious weakness of David de Gea. This factor alone may be worth 10 less goals conceded over the season. His heading ability may also bring us about 5 more goals scored over the season (as we now score very few headers from set play compared to other teams).

Thirdly, Maguire can actually make a decent pass and has decent ball control, so he may become the addressee of a pass when the opposition presses us. It is very important as we dont have such luxury currently.

snk123

Yes!! Our defence needed a cool head and Maguire is exactly that.

Will partner Lindelof and keep Smalling/Jones out from the team. I'll be extremely delighted with this signing!

Red_toad

He will make Jesse realise he needs to grow up, looking at a mountain of a man who's a mature leader and realising he's older than him may well shock him :lol:

gregor

He usually plays as left sided CB if I'm not wrong, which means Lindelof will play as RCB what IMO is his better position.

Sylar

I reckon it gives us a much better option for playing 3 at the back btw.
Id like to see Maguire, Lindelof and Tuanzebe (just a shame we cant try it pre-season)

Kag

He’ll win lots of headers and pass the ball out from the back. Only Smalling is good at the former and only Lindelof is good at the latter. He isn’t perfect, but he’ll be a steady figure at the back. He’s never injured either.

Sylar

He’ll win lots of headers and pass the ball out from the back. Only Smalling is good at the former and only Lindelof is good at the latter. He isn’t perfect, but he’ll be a steady figure at the back. He’s never injured either.
Well, we now know how his career at United is going to go :lol:

romufc

I’m not convinced he's much better than Jones, though his injury record clearly makes him a far more useful player. That could change as soon as he’s signed for us of course.
Really? you clearly havent seen Jones play then.

Camilo

I think he's exactly the right defender to sign. A good age, experienced, English (and therefore unlikely to agitate for a move), a very good footballer and someone who will dominate in the air making set-pieces a much more relaxed affair.

Who knows if he'll work out, it doesn't really matter, nobody can guess the future. But knowing what we know, buy the man - it's daft to pass on a player we can't realistically better in the transfer market. Do we want to be good? Or do we want to save the money for imaginary future players?

reddevil80

For me, great, when we get him. This saga has gone on too long, time to move on to the next target. Bruno must surely be next. Will be a gamble but some gambles pay off, and handsomely too. I hope he will become Lindelofs left hand man.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I think you only have to look at the stats for him and his performances for England and Leicester to see he is a very good CB.

He’s by no means the best in the PL but IMO he’s the best outside of the top 6 so bringing him in is a sensible transfer.

I’d be happy to get him I do however think the fee is stupid. I’d love him to have a Van Dijk impact but that would be a surprise.

If he helps us play a bit better then I’ll be happy and I think we will.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The big ticks are his consistency, attitude and ability to play the ball out from the back.
Along with AWB and De Gea hopefully being back to his usual high standards, we will concede 20 goals fewer in the Premier League, how many additional points that equates to is anyone's guess, but that stat alone, would make an enormous difference to the outcome of our season.

Irrational.

He's not the all-singing, all-dancing bells and whistles CB we want but he is what we need. I think he'll integrate into our system very well and an instant upgrade on Smalling, Jones, Bailly and Rojo.

Bwuk

Very happy with Maguire. Him and AWB will improve our defence to no end.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It won't be Rio and Vidic but a backline of AWB - Lindelöf - Maguire will be a far cry from what we've experienced last season. I still don't trust in Shaw but that's a fix for a later date.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
Will be similar to when City got Walker. Wasn’t a world class player but was a top player in the league, English, and acquired from a team that wasn’t obligated to sell meaning an inflated price...Walker was a record signing fee at the time due to those things and likewise so will Maguire with inflation(prices) only being higher.

& like Walker, I fully expect Maguire to make a solid impact once/if the transfer is agreed to. He is closer to world class than average - his form is good and often times great which regularly brings stability to the back line! :)

I think he'll fit in seamlessly and become our best CB. His technical qualities ,with the ball, are rightly praised but his dominance in the air is just as much as a major attribute. Even against a striker-less Inter I felt our defence looked a tad wobbly.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He'll improve us but not by as much as some think. He isn't a top tier CB in my opinion and that will become clear when the spot light is on him.

But our options are so bad that it's an improvement. Just a very expensive one.

reddevil80

It won't be Rio and Vidic but a backline of AWB - Lindelöf - Maguire will be a far cry from what we've experienced last season. I still don't trust in Shaw but that's a fix for a later date.
How can ya not trust Shaw? He is a stockier version of AWB, very quick, cracking shot, ability to dribble and drive, can see the long pass as well as the short pass AND can make both. Tackles hard and direct, tracks back, overlaps and is fitter than he looks. Has no fear etc etc etc.

El Jefe

I don't think people understand how good he is on the ball for a CB. He looks awkward as hell on it but his passing both long and short as well as driving runs from deep are as good as any other CB in the league.

Pairing him with Lindelof who's also good on the ball will ensure we keep the ball better but more importantly shift our team forward by a few yards when starting attacks. This will mean the likes of Pogba and Martial won't have to come as deep to collect the ball. Last season with Young and Smalling we had two awful defenders playing out from the back and Lindelof wasn't as comfortable in the LCB position as he is in RCB.

He's also someone who defends in the front foot so I see us scoring many more goals on transitions next year.

His defending skills are good too but I'm hoping he can improve his current level there too.

He's an improvement on what we have and that's all we need to worry about. He's not the best in the world but he is better than anyone else we could partner Lindelof with, and if we are happy to pay 80m for that then so be it. There aren't many great defenders about at the moment and certainly not any who are available.

A backline of AWB - Maguire - Lindelof - Shaw all of a sudden looks quite good.

Last edited:

Reynoldo

I don't think people understand how good he is on the ball for a CB. He looks awkward as hell on it but his passing both long and short as well as driving runs from deep are as good as any other CB in the league.

Pairing him with Lindelof who's also good on the ball will ensure we keep the ball better but more importantly shift our team forward by a few yards when starting attacks. This will mean the likes of Pogba and Martial won't have to come as deep to collect the ball. Last season with Young and Smalling we had two awful defenders playing out from the back and Lindelof wasn't as comfortable in the LCB position as he is in RCB.

He's also someone who defends in the front foot so I see us scoring many more goals on transitions next year.

His defending skills are good too but I'm hoping he can improve his current level there too.
Its an excellent point. How many times have you been pulling your hair out the last few years watching our defenders pass the ball 5-10 between them and then ultimately Pogba or another midfielder who had to come back to collect the ball from 5 feet away, it just kills any attacking impetus.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think he'll either surprise everyone and be really good, or just decent, and we'll back in the same position as we are now next summer - where we're looking for a Top CB to partner him, like we are doing with Lindelof currently (who is decent but hardly a world beater)

simplyared

Reckon his impact could be enormous. Maybe a push for top 3 instead of being in a battle with the likes of Leicester, Everton, Wolves etc for a place in the EL.

R'hllor

I was wondering before, is he best we can get on this whole God damn planet for that money, i mean really?

Then i saw, people use this "better than what we have " line, which makes things even worse, so target doesnt need to be a world class, no no, just better than what we have. So there isnt anybody else on this earth, who is better than our CBs, nobody, no one, for 80mil.

I personally dont give a shit about money spent, just dont wanna see him in our shirt, at all, free, 5 mil, or 80 mil.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I hope he spends the best years of his footballing career at OT and eventually become a huge part of United's renaissance. Will he be a definite success? Nobody really knows. Only time will tell...

But, for the price that's currently doing the rounds, he most certainly will be a mission statement by Ole. A clear statement that the chuckle brothers and Young had their day in the sun and that we need to move on to better things by building a better and more stable defence.

Fuethermore, just imagine if Maguire & AWB are a success here and Ole manages to get the best out of Shaw, Rashford, McTominay and James too. We could become the primary destination for English talents once more. Which i suspect is a huge part of the plan under Ole (the British core thing).

Short term: A modern and well functioning partnership between him and Lindelof, one that will be able to start most games throughout the season, thus allowing us to have a stable defensive line and be less dependent on the likes of Rojo, Jones etc. for a huge bulk of the season.

Long term: A leader of a backline whose best footballing years are ahead of them and proof that United are once again a club where good/top players can enjoy their best years and fulfill their ambitions.

Reynoldo

I think he'll either surprise everyone and be really good, or just decent, and we'll back in the same position as we are now next summer - where we're looking for a Top CB to partner him, like we are doing with Lindelof currently (who is decent but hardly a world beater)
Not that I want that to happen (or think it necessarily will as we don't know how Lindelof performs with someone better next to him) but if it does than you know what its not actually a bad thing (transfer hassle aside) as it will mean we are moving in the right direction in terms of upping the overall quality of our first eleven.