What is a modern goalkeeper?

Boycott

One big change that is very noticeable is even at the lower league levels goalkeepers no longer simply dropkick and boot the ball high and straight down the middle of the pitch. They now swing their body shape to direct the ball into a wide area and also put some backspin on the ball.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Not me, I'm forty and try to keep like Schmeichel with the chat of van der Sar.

I basically don't want to touch the ball for 90 minutes, so I try and move my defenders like chess piece.

Oranges038

Not me, I'm forty and try to keep like Schmeichel with the chat of van der Sar.

I basically don't want to touch the ball for 90 minutes, so I try and move my defenders like chess piece.
Not far off it myself I do this a lot more than I used to, think it comes with experience and a better understanding of the game. Personally I love claiming high balls around the box and setting off a quick counter with a long throw a la Schmeichel or an Ederson style low 70 yard raking punt over the top.

But I also like getting on the ball and moving it around the back, I feel like that and talking a lot stops me from drifting out of the game and losing concentration. The one thing I still consciously have to think about and still adapt to is playing higher and further away from the goal to sweep. As the legs get older the distance needs to be shorter so I find myself drifting further out to make sure I can get there when I need to.

Peter van der Gea

Not far off it myself I do this a lot more than I used to, think it comes with experience and a better understanding of the game. Personally I love claiming high balls around the box and setting off a quick counter with a long throw a la Schmeichel or an Ederson style low 70 yard raking punt over the top.

But I also like getting on the ball and moving it around the back, I feel like that and talking a lot stops me from drifting out of the game and losing concentration. The one thing I still consciously have to think about and still adapt to is playing higher and further away from the goal to sweep. As the legs get older the distance needs to be shorter so I find myself drifting further out to make sure I can get there when I need to.
I think it comes from the 15 years of National League hockey, there are no offsides, so the keeper has to be very alert and vocal.

With high balls I'm punching currently, I've only been back playing in a football team for two months, so I'm still a bit nervous about catching the high balls, but I'm looking to invest in some gloves with really, really good grip. I've also heard about "goalkeeper glue", but I'm not sure if it's allowed.

Luckily I've still got a bit of pace, so I don't have to go too high.

Oranges038

I think it comes from the 15 years of National League hockey, there are no offsides, so the keeper has to be very alert and vocal.

With high balls I'm punching currently, I've only been back playing in a football team for two months, so I'm still a bit nervous about catching the high balls, but I'm looking to invest in some gloves with really, really good grip. I've also heard about "goalkeeper glue", but I'm not sure if it's allowed.

Luckily I've still got a bit of pace, so I don't have to go too high.
Never used the glue, I've got good hands probably from time spent playing GAA in different positions. Plus I always buy decent gloves.

I've been using Sells gloves for years, tried numerous other brands like Reusch, Nike, Adidas, Uhlsport and J4k but never found them to be as good in terms of quality or value for money. For me it really all depends on comfort and grip, I've found their total contact all weather gloves to provide the best of both for all conditions. Recently bought a new pair, only worn them once since in really dry weather and they have excellent grip once they are kept damp.

https://www.prodirectsoccer.com/p/sells-ghost-total-contact-white-white-mens-gk-gloves-238376/

Come in black too.

https://www.prodirectsoccer.com/p/sells-devil-total-contact-black-black-mens-gk-gloves-238374/

BigDycheEnergy

The modern goalkeeper wears 90's fashion, spends 10 hours a day on TikTok, has anxiety and does MDMA.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The sweeping and the passing out from the back and being important to the build up are the 2 main things that older generation goalkeepers didn't have.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
One big change that is very noticeable is even at the lower league levels goalkeepers no longer simply dropkick and boot the ball high and straight down the middle of the pitch. They now swing their body shape to direct the ball into a wide area and also put some backspin on the ball.

The real technicians letting it bounce and booting it on the half volley. :lol:

Peter van der Gea

Never used the glue, I've got good hands probably from time spent playing GAA in different positions. Plus I always buy decent gloves.

I've been using Sells gloves for years, tried numerous other brands like Reusch, Nike, Adidas, Uhlsport and J4k but never found them to be as good in terms of quality or value for money. For me it really all depends on comfort and grip, I've found their total contact all weather gloves to provide the best of both for all conditions. Recently bought a new pair, only worn them once since in really dry weather and they have excellent grip once they are kept damp.

https://www.prodirectsoccer.com/p/sells-ghost-total-contact-white-white-mens-gk-gloves-238376/

Come in black too.

https://www.prodirectsoccer.com/p/sells-devil-total-contact-black-black-mens-gk-gloves-238374/
Cheers mate, they look really good, I think I'm going to buy a pair!

padr81

Supports
Man City
Neuer clone = ,modern goal keeper.

Basically he has to be way better on the ball than previous keepers (but he doesn't quite have to be Ederson). Also has to be much better at 1 on 1's than previous keepers because teams play crazy high lines and keepers get exposed 1 on 1 more (Alisson being the best in the world here).

Actual shot stopping ability is funny enough less important than the ability to be quick off the line and be strong in 1 vs 1's as is the ability to command the area and high balls because those are being phased out of the game. Someone like Ederson rarely makes one of those cat like saves prime DDG made, he's also no Schmichael when it comes to commanding his area. But he is great on the ball and quick off his line (sometimes rash).

Alisson is probably the ultimate modern keeper after Neuer himself.

LazyGoal

I think its this sculpture thing DdG goes for. If theres a shot, he jump’s to different poses. Its a very fresh approch to goal keeping. I see a lot of Ghiberti, Donatello and even Bandinelli in what he is doing..