What is Dan James good at?

El-Manos

Is it his confidence or what is it? He was a much better player this time last year.

rooney2009

Just give him time
He is a good player and will only get better
He has not played a lot of top level football so is still learning his trade
he is now training with world class players and will only get better

Le Red

Genuine question: is he even that fast?

Forget that fact that he never dribbles past anyone, I never see him leave anyone for dead. They way he's hyped, he's supposed to be the fastest player in the league (straight lines, without the ball, just to make it simple), and from I've seen he's absolutely nowhere near.
This is getting ridiculous now. He's been subpar but to suggest he's not fast is just baffling. He's lightning quick, and I feel he's not making the most of his runs due to low confidence.
He displayed exactly what he could do in the first 10 games with us, if he can replicate that, he's a very good option from the bench. If he can't, he'll not be in the team sooner than later.
Whoever thinks he's got no potential missed his good starting spell completely. The opponents had to go full thug to catch him, with the blessing of the referees.

Red00012

I think a loan with a team in the PL would have done him good , not getting Sancho was probably the reason it didn’t happen .

Morpheus 7

Just give him time
He is a good player and will only get better
He has not played a lot of top level football so is still learning his trade
he is now training with world class players and will only get better
He's 23 in two weeks, he's not good enough. Can't read them game and only has pace, that's it. That's not enough for the premier league.

Gabagoo

This is getting ridiculous now. He's been subpar but to suggest he's not fast is just baffling. He's lightning quick, and I feel he's not making the most of his runs due to low confidence.
He displayed exactly what he could do in the first 10 games with us, if he can replicate that, he's a very good option from the bench. If he can't, he'll not be in the team sooner than later.
Whoever thinks he's got no potential missed his good starting spell completely. The opponents had to go full thug to catch him, with the blessing of the referees.
When does he make opponents look slow? I haven't once, in a United shirt, seen James leave someone in his trail.

jem

He is a very common fan. Likes the British lads who work hard. Loves McT too. There’s lots of fans like that.
That's actually not really true, as the three players he goes on about the most are Mata, Martial, and Matic (maybe he likes 'M' players...) That being said, I haven't heard him say too much about McTominay. I think the problem with fans like Ricky is that they have their favourites and they have problems they don't rate, and they just can't view them in a properly objective way (he once said during the summer that Rashford was Championship standard FFS!) It's the same with Saeed and his Harry Beckenbauer nonsense.

united for life

Take away his pace, Ole would never have him in the squad. Haven’t seen anything special, yet, from him besides the first couple of games with the team

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
When does he make opponents look slow? I haven't once, in a United shirt, seen James leave someone in his trail.
Have you seen any games with James playing?
The one thing no-one with any reason can deny is that he has sensational pace.

Jev

Take away his pace, Ole would never have him in the squad. Haven’t seen anything special, yet, from him besides the first couple of games with the team
Take away Messi's dribbling ability and he's not all that. It's not really a valid argument to just dismiss a player's biggest asset as if it didn't exist.

Bondi77

Have you seen any games with James playing?
The one thing no-one with any reason can deny is that he has sensational pace.
I think the haters are running out of things to say.
It amazes me how we paid 50mil for Fred who could not score in a brothel and struggles to complete a simple pass but is a good tackler and runs a lot and it still took him nearly two seasons to show that and yet James whom has come from the Championship and cost a third of the price gets this endless criticism.
Give the young man a break FFS!

united for life

Take away Messi's dribbling ability and he's not all that. It's not really a valid argument to just dismiss a player's biggest asset as if it didn't exist.

You missed the point, didn’t you? Running around with no tangible contribution (crossing, dribbling, shooting, passing...) is kind of pointless mate

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think the haters are running out of things to say.
It amazes me how we paid 50mil for Fred who could not score in a brothel and struggles to complete a simple pass but is a good tackler and runs a lot and it still took him nearly two seasons to show that and yet James whom has come from the Championship and cost a third of the price gets this endless criticism.
Give the young man a break FFS!
Yep. In a list of issues we have, he's not in the top ten.

soapythecat

Dan James must be really good at bag and shaft work, given the amount of time he gets in the first team.
Offers nothing - doesn’t even track back effectively, which is the only plausible reason as to why he keeps getting selected.

Foxbatt

The question that needs to be asked is what are the coaches doing with Dan James? He has played for Wales too and is not such a bad player. What he does on the ptich is creating all these issues. If the coaches train and coach him and if he then refuses to do it on the pitch I do not think he is going to be still in the squad. So whatever happens on the training ground is what is happening on the pitch on match day. He needs individfual training and coaching to get him better. From what I see on the pitch I do not think that is happening. He is not a striker but he is trying to play like one.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The question that needs to be asked is what are the coaches doing with Dan James? He has played for Wales too and is not such a bad player. What he does on the ptich is creating all these issues. If the coaches train and coach him and if he then refuses to do it on the pitch I do not think he is going to be still in the squad. So whatever happens on the training ground is what is happening on the pitch on match day. He needs individfual training and coaching to get him better. From what I see on the pitch I do not think that is happening. He is not a striker but he is trying to play like one.
If you pay attention of him in Wales is that he tends to get assists from crossing because his crossing isn’t bad. Giggs build his team around him to make the others players better because the players around him suit his style.

In here, we have different type of players than the ones we had in Wales. Martial & Rashford prefers to play link up play, more in tight space, more intelligent play and the wide attackers tend to cut inside to connect with other attackers. This is something doesn’t suit Daniel James but expose his weakness not playing his strength.

If we play to his strength like how Giggs used him then it will not play to Rashford & Martial strength. Lukaku would have been better option than Martial & Rashford to compliment together with James.

Foxbatt

If you pay attention of him in Wales is that he tends to get assists from crossing because his crossing isn’t bad. Giggs build his team around him to make the others players better because the players around him suit his style.

In here, we have different type of players than the ones we had in Wales. Martial & Rashford prefers to play link up play, more in tight space, more intelligent play and the wide attackers tend to cut inside to connect with other attackers. This is something doesn’t suit Daniel James but expose his weakness not playing his strength.

If we play to his strength like how Giggs used him then it will not play to Rashford & Martial strength. Lukaku would have been better option than Martial & Rashford to compliment together with James.
So use him when Cavani comes on. We complain about not having the ability to cross the ball yet we have James who can cross the ball. No all he does is when he gets the ball, put his head down and try to sprint.

RashyForPM

Not all that? Then he would play as a poaching striker with his intelligent positioning and magnificent finishing or as an attacking midfielder with his ability to drop deep and spot a pass. Take Ronaldo’s heading away and he’d also play as a poacher or an efficient inside forward. What else does James have? For me, someone with only one remotely good assest should not be playing for Manchester United. The guy’s point is valid.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
So use him when Cavani comes on. We complain about not having the ability to cross the ball yet we have James who can cross the ball. No all he does is when he gets the ball, put his head down and try to sprint.
Being a not bad crosser doesn’t mean he’s a fantastic crosser. Telles would have been better to bring on than James.

cyril C

James would be a useful coaching material. Take any one of his 1 on many clip, and show it to the Academy kids. This is EXACTLY what you should not do . You should have passed instead of dribble on, or shoot, because XYZ is in a much better position. You should have pass back instead of rushing in, when there are 3 opponents in front of you, as you are not Messi. You should have .... All our kids would be much improved in a few season time.

Web of Bissaka

James would be a useful coaching material. Take any one of his 1 on many clip, and show it to the Academy kids. This is EXACTLY what you should not do . You should have passed instead of dribble on, or shoot, because XYZ is in a much better position. You should have pass back instead of rushing in, when there are 3 opponents in front of you, as you are not Messi. You should have .... All our kids would be much improved in a few season time.
:lol: Yep, you solved it. This is why!
The purple patch at the start of last season is a pleasant welcoming surprise.

"Kids, uncle James is in the first team squad, this is your chance to replace him. Easy! Greenwood is already doing it."

Web of Bissaka

Would be a great 2nd team for cups game, in theory.

Cavani
James -- VDB -- Mata​

We need to rest our best players eventually.
Cavani with James crossing and Mata+VDB playmaking should be more than enough to bully the shit teams.

pass.pass.pass

James may not be the greatest player to wear a United shirt, but he is the perfect illustration of the poor coaching at United. Time and time again, he runs into defenders. He doesn't even try anything different. It's that lack of trying and not his general sh*teness that should worry us.

Someone like Bielsa wanted him and would undoubtedly improve him to a PL-mid-table standard from his current League 2 levels.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This wank logic again. A player being a problem doesn't mean they are the only one. Surely, everyone can understand this.
If you think Dan James is any sort of issue to worry about, you must spend hours on threads about the main ones.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If you think Dan James is any sort of issue to worry about, you must spend hours on threads about the main ones.
Good point. We should worry about good players not the terrible ones. Hope everyone takes note.

Foxbatt

James may not be the greatest player to wear a United shirt, but he is the perfect illustration of the poor coaching at United. Time and time again, he runs into defenders. He doesn't even try anything different. It's that lack of trying and not his general sh*teness that should worry us.

Someone like Bielsa wanted him and would undoubtedly improve him to a PL-mid-table standard from his current League 2 levels.
He probably would make him a decent player. He is not such a bad player. He had got a decent shot on him and has pace too. It's more mental with him.
A top coach is going to give him personal training and get him to be a better player. James on his own should have gone to Leeds on loan.

TrustInOle

You missed the point, didn’t you? Running around with no tangible contribution (crossing, dribbling, shooting, passing...) is kind of pointless mate
His crossing is good though, not great but he can put some lovely balls in between defence and goalkeepers. Would have a lot more assists last season if our strikers poached more and gambled in the box more.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
For me when he crosses he doesnt look where he is crossing. He is always looking at his feet and the football more than looking at where people are placed.

TheRedHearted

Is it his confidence or what is it? He was a much better player this time last year.
Yes i believe so. Started getting frustrated with himself snd others as opposed to a little wince but a smile and jog on. Think his fathers death at first was lightened by joining us but that may have also sunk in

El Zoido

Eh, I wouldn’t say it was poor coaching. It’s too big of a club for him. Some players struggled the same under Fergie as well, some just can’t hack it. He’s looked out of his depth since day one.

united for life

His crossing is good though, not great but he can put some lovely balls in between defence and goalkeepers. Would have a lot more assists last season if our strikers poached more and gambled in the box more.
can’t see that really. The lad is still young, still time to develop. Hope he fulfills his potential, would love to see us with different options to go With

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Dont be fooled

He made some good runs against us tonight, scored a goal and his pace was a threat

He did the same for us many times but most of times hes crap

Boondog

Kind of player who looks dangerous while accomplishing little on the pitch. Not gonna lie I still like his game but I don't miss the frustration.