What is Dan James good at?

El Zoido

He’s garbage, Ole will see he hasn’t been taking his chances. His days are numbered I feel.

InfiniteBoredom

A headless chicken doesn’t need technique and IQ. Their main job is just to run and press.
And top teams don’t use headless chickens.

For all the similar criticisms levied against them in parts of their career with us, O’Shea, Fletcher and Park never looked so out of place, nor did they lack the required tactical and technical quality to be functional in a good team, which isn’t the case with James. He’s been absolutely atrocious ever since the initial excitement wore off.

In Rainbows

I blame this on Giggs acting like an agent or some sh*t
Ole needs to not listen to Giggs, or Carrick's recommendations. Clear they see their identity in other players and then make decisions on that. How else do we explain James and Longstaff?

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
What? Of course you need IQ, to realise when to press, who to press, and what to do once you're in a dangerous position. James isn't playing at DM, he plays in an offensive role and therefore is required to contribute to the attack too.

You think he's a good enough squad player?
A headless chicken doesn’t need that. I believe he shouldn’t be starting unless in games of little significance

Djemba-Djemba

I really don't want to join the pile on him.

But he's just so obviously not good enough. He was so below the required standard today it was sad to watch

He's useful to stretch and tire teams late in a game. He should never start, and certainly not against a team of Chelsea's calibre.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I find him very unlikeable, probably because he is pretending to be likeable little boy and he is not, it's probably time to grow up a little.

ForeverRed1

He’s a squad option, to bring in in last 15 minutes when legs are tiring. Against certain opposition. Not a starter against Chelsea.

hobbers

Hes a kick and run merchant who will wind up plying his trade in a bottom to middle championship side.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He's the kind of player Fergie used to play against tired legs when we're already ahead, just like academy players that weren't highly rated, a little appearance here and there then probably get sold. Honestly I don't expect him to be a super talent or anything, in fact he made a huge leap when he signed that contract, we didn't even know if he was good enough for PL. Ole's persistence with him is a bit weird, you could make a case when he had nothing better to work with but with Cavani, vDB, Pogba, Greenwood on the bench... it's weird.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
He's a squad option for the Carabao Cup. Should have sold him to Leeds and used it to get the Sancho deal done.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
This kid can't walk and chew gum at the same time, never mind play football

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s that bad he even managed to stop us scoring for the 40 minutes or so he was off the pitch! :wenger:

SER19

Players that might offer more in that role that don't start regularly.

Mata, van de beek, Greenwood, lingard, (cavani in 9 with any of forward players moved left) Telles, even pillestri will offer the Unknown.

He simply can't start these games

gearoid

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
He’s excellent at wrecking my lineup predictions.

DWelbz19

Can you believe we not only refused to sell him this summer to a club that were willing to buy, we’ve started him back to back in two PL games where he’s done nothing but get hooked after 60 odd minutes in both?

Superunknown

He is not talented enough to be the starting choice for Manchester United. He also doesn't possess any qualities which make him instantly playable. I don't see how that's even remotely debatable. It's laughable that a player like VDB is on the bench yet James gets a game. I don't know what Ole is trying to prove with this one, that he can take an average player and make them world class? It's not going to happen.

DWelbz19

To answer the OP’s question: to waste a substitution whenever he starts.

The Original

I find him very unlikeable, probably because he is pretending to be likeable little boy and he is not, it's probably time to grow up a little.
I thought I was the only one who felt that. Last season I observed how he kept shooting instead of passing to Bruno in particular but that wasn't waht got to me, it was how he never seemed remorseful and would do it again minutes after