What is Dan James good at?

Nep77

He can't even kick and run to use his pace, tries to play like he is a great dribbler with brilliant technique by trying to beat people by running with ball. I don't understand how no one has taught him till now to use that kick and run a bit to get use his best asset.

ReallyUSA

Needs to be demoted to cup games to get his confidence up or maybe learn more about himself. His run off the left to go middle and lose the ball was awful.

vt5060

Can't blame the lad, it's the manager that picks him to play. Do we expect him to say 'sorry boss, I'm not playing because I'm shite'? As long as the manager chooses him he'll play. He's clearly not good enough for the Premier league, never mind Manchester United. Hopefully he'll be moved on and enjoy the rest of his career.

Last edited:

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He's useful to stretch and tire teams late in a game. He should never start, and certainly not against a team of Chelsea's calibre.
In theory you are correct. But in practise, when was the last time, we saw him come on late in a match and either score a goal or help score a goal?
I can't remember.
We basically play a man down when he is on the pitch.
To get his confidence up, he should be played against lesser opposition in Cup games. To play him against EPL teams won't do any good for him.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Amazing how he can kill attacks. Has wide open space to run past player and use his (allegedly) great pace but he cuts inside. 3 times today (basically everything what he did in 60 minutes)

In theory you are correct. But in practise, when was the last time, we saw him come on late in a match and either score a goal or help score a goal?
I can't remember.
We basically play a man down when he is on the pitch.
To get his confidence up, he should be played against lesser opposition in Cup games. To play him against EPL teams won't do any good for him.
It's not the goals that's useful, it's keeping opponents pinned back that he can do with his pace. Not exactly enough for a top 4 club...

Orange Tree

He should be an impact sub, burn tired defenders with pace. Baffling how he starts important games.

LJJT

He’s a good squad member but not for starting against defensive teams. Harsh the negative comments he gets he’s a good player and helps defensively

Cardozo

You can see his teammates don’t rate him. They rarely pass to him unless they have no option.

Wazza4Gaffa

He's been so out of sorts that I'm starting to believe that he's not even fast anymore. Can't even remember the last time he used speed to good effect.

wolvored

Giggs got him here simply with the Utd connection. Giggs suggesting this week he could play more central. Wish Giggs would shut his mouth up. Sell him as hes simply not the poor quality a top club should have. We could get most of our money back selling to Leeds who were after him for example.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Just knew in the second half when he got that one on one half chance that he would mess it up. Should have went outside instead.

Devil81

You can see his teammates don’t rate him. They rarely pass to him unless they have no option.
Yes I've noticed that as well, Luke Shaw did he absolute upmost not to pass to him today, he even turned back on one occasion even though he was out wide waiting for the ball to feet.

Ole needs to pull him out now for me, Lingard is a better option yet he's not getting a look in and I'd have even played players out of position ahead of him today.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yes I've noticed that as well, Luke Shaw did he absolute upmost not to pass to him today, he even turned back on one occasion even though he was out wide waiting for the ball to feet.

Ole needs to pull him out now for me, Lingard is a better option yet he's not getting a look in and I'd have even played players out of position ahead of him today.
Lingard is injured so wouldn't have been involved.

rotherham_red

Annoying line up, and lucky to get away with it but I'll take the point and move on to Leipzig and Arsenal.

In truth if anyone offered 2 wins and a draw this week, I'd have ripped their hands off considering one of those three games was PSG away.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
TBF he played well vs Newcastle. I and many here didn't think it would last and was surprised to see him starting again.

pascell

Very true. Our use of the ball has been pedestrian.

I don't think James is that good but the team is making him look much worse by not even trying to use his pace in behind.
There was no pace in behind, Reece James is just as fast and more powerful than Dan James, so he couldn't get in behind. His end product over the past few matches has been lacking massively.

yamo123x

He is good at winning competitions to appear for man utd first team.

He is raw, but is never a starter. To be honest he is very poor

Gabagoo

He's the most technically limited winger I've ever seen at United.
I'm including Bebe in that, too.

RedWat

I do indeed feel very sorry for James. a player who Ole saw something in him when he was playing in the Championship.

James may have also thought that the “world class” coaches at a club like Man Utd would have helped developed his game to a new level.
A year later James’ game has not improved but has gone worse than even when he was at Swansea.

Ole has indeed missed a trick during the transfer season, when Leeds wanted James. If Ole indeed realised that neither he nor his coaches can improve his game , but he didn’t want to sell him, He should have loaned James to Leeds as Bielsa being a quality coach would have improved his game and then we would have a new improved version of James at the end of the loan period.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Annoying line up, and lucky to get away with it but I'll take the point and move on to Leipzig and Arsenal.

In truth if anyone offered 2 wins and a draw this week, I'd have ripped their hands off considering one of those three games was PSG away.
Agreed.

K_Ash

I believe he forgot that he was not a pacy NFL running back on that particular action ...trying to run through Azpi, Thiago and Kante

neilv93

I feel for him. He's so clearly out of his depth at our level but like others have said, Ole picks him and he isn't going to be like "no thanks boss, I'll sit this one out"...

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He's got great top speed but his acceleration is average. He's only of any use if he can knock it 20 yards and chase it. He can't shift it a couple of yards and burst past like Valencia, which I was hoping was the type of winger he would be.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
He’s meant to be good at running but he doesn’t even do that.

Should just sell him to a championship team in January.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Not to bash Ole gratuitously but James was a better player when he arrived. I think exposure to good coaching might be the making of him. Maybe Cavani will help him?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
And to think we could have had £20-30 million for him in the summer. As I said then sometimes you have to accept a player isn’t at the standard; take the money and run but no Utd always wait to long to make good decisions. He’s bang average and was a shocking selection today

Wayne's World

I wish I was joking here but I'm not but he's the worst footballer I have ever seen. He's producing Ali Dia performances every week...

Who scouted him? Who in the name of god seen him as a footballer?

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
Hes very young and raw.. he may have a bright future at united but he needs more time to develop

He shouldnt be played in these big games. Its a set up for failure.