What is Diogo Dalot good at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HankHill

Supports
Ewe Night Tid.
He can cross the halfway line without his brain melting.

High standards.

Lentwood

Nothing. Dalot is a player who improved in the minds of some forums members because the hivemind didn't like AWB

Let's be clear, whatever we think of AWB, Dalot is incredibly poor. I actually think even Brandon Williams is a level above Dalot

Hughie77

Crossing and crossing. We got a guy who's been out on loan even played against us on loan . And now he's regular right back. ?? Problems my word transfer issues all over the place . Cl football makes transfers a bit easier . Maybe

Bruno8

Defensively he is very poor and most opposition teams target his side because they know he doesnt track back

el3mel

I honestly can't believe he's still a United player up till now. Should have been sold ages ago. Guy has zero talent. How the feck did we scout him ?

Greck

Nothing. Dalot is a player who improved in the minds of some forums members because the hivemind didn't like AWB

Let's be clear, whatever we think of AWB, Dalot is incredibly poor. I actually think even Brandon Williams is a level above Dalot
This post almost makes it sound like redcafe posters are why he lost his place. Unless you think ETH is part of said hivemind. AWB was gash in his limited preseason showing and it confirmed to ETH he couldn't use him. He even looked gash in the training footage meant to hype up fans. ETH actually has empirical evidence behind this decision. The reason you don't see him is because the predictions about his struggles are true. ETH assessed and marginalised him as being too poor to play his system. This is the last thing ETH should be getting doubts on. We have it hard enough playing from the back without bringing someone that makes Mctominay look like iniesta.

Lentwood

This post almost makes it sound like redcafe posters are why he lost his place. Unless you think ETH is part of said hivemind. AWB was gash in his limited preseason showing and it confirmed to ETH he couldn't use him. He even looked gash in the training footage meant to hype up fans. ETH actually has empirical evidence behind this decision. The reason you don't see him is because the predictions about his struggles are true. ETH assessed and marginalised him as being too poor to play his system. This is the last thing ETH should be getting doubts on. We have it hard enough playing from the back without bringing someone that makes Mctominay look like iniesta.
Perception is everything in football.

AWB has at least as good "attacking statistics" as Dalot (or should I say both are equally poor) but AWB is by far the better defender.

I'm also told Dalot handles the ball better...I see no evidence. Nearly cost us a goal at the weekend by miscontrolling a simple sideways pass.

It's not AWBs fault he's being used in a system/set-up that doesn't suit him, he is a decent footballer who would make a good player for a team were he fits - Dalot is just rubbish

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
AWBs problem is positioning and offensive game. Dalots problem is that he is a Terrible defenders and our opposition will use his lack of any type of defensive game to their advantage.

I said Dalot was the worst RB in the league before kickoff against Brighton. It took him less than 30 seconds to prove my point. That he has somehow displaced AWB is absurd.

Greck

Perception is everything in football.

AWB has at least as good "attacking statistics" as Dalot (or should I say both are equally poor) but AWB is by far the better defender.

I'm also told Dalot handles the ball better...I see no evidence. Nearly cost us a goal at the weekend by miscontrolling a simple sideways pass.

It's not AWBs fault he's being used in a system/set-up that doesn't suit him, he is a decent footballer who would make a good player for a team were he fits - Dalot is just rubbish
It's not perception. We actually saw him play already. It was bad. Bad enough that I understand not wanting to try it in a competitive game, it was that bad. Please refer to the game where he was given minutes. Struggling to handle ball pressure in a preseason game. I guess at some point you might see AWB again and you'll instantly understand why he's frozen out. ETH might have made some mistakes but he's spot on on this one.

Last edited:

OpenIntrovert

Dalot is more of a winger than a fullback or wingback. He would be useful in games where we need a defensive minded winger.

Elcabron

All summer people were saying RB isn't a problem area and that he's good enough to start for us. Nope, turns out he's still shit!
Exactly, I debated this on here over the summer, people said centre back was a bigger problem....the main problem with centre back is the lack of a midfield and full backs. We currently have 7 centre backs :rolleyes:

Dalot is shit and must be replaced post haste. I would genuinely prefer AWB, at least he had one good season for us. However both should be sold and the 40m used to buy a decent full back. It's not rocket science.

Lentwood

It's not perception. We actually saw him play already. It was bad. Bad enough that I understand not wanting to try it in a competitive game, it was that bad. Please refer to the game where he was given minutes. Struggling to handle ball pressure in a preseason game. I guess at some point you might see AWB again and you'll instantly understand why he's frozen out. ETH might have made some mistakes but he's spot on on this one.
How about roughly 60 games-worth the year we came 2nd, reached an FA Cup Semi-Final and a Europa League final?

We're getting into a me promoting the abilities of AWB now, which is not really what my initial point was.

My point is that AWB is a 'good' footballer with obvious limitations. We have just happened to ask him to play a style recently that unfortunately highlights his weaknesses and doesn't really allow him to showcase his real strength, which is his one vs one defending ability (something Dalot does not posses)

Herein lies my point...(and the point of this thread)....Dalot isn't a good one vs one defender, he's isn't a good defender full-stop, he's not quick, he's not good on the ball, his career record for goals and assists is atrocious....so as the thread title says 'what is Diogo Dalot good at?'

I could tell you what AWB is good at and use him in a way that suits his game. I am yet to discover what Dalot is good at and it's not like he's young or inexperienced, this is just his level.

Greck

How about roughly 60 games-worth the year we came 2nd, reached an FA Cup Semi-Final and a Europa League final?

We're getting into a me promoting the abilities of AWB now, which is not really what my initial point was.

My point is that AWB is a 'good' footballer with obvious limitations. We have just happened to ask him to play a style recently that unfortunately highlights his weaknesses and doesn't really allow him to showcase his real strength, which is his one vs one defending ability (something Dalot does not posses)

Herein lies my point...(and the point of this thread)....Dalot isn't a good one vs one defender, he's isn't a good defender full-stop, he's not quick, he's not good on the ball, his career record for goals and assists is atrocious....so as the thread title says 'what is Diogo Dalot good at?'

I could tell you what AWB is good at and use him in a way that suits his game. I am yet to discover what Dalot is good at and it's not like he's young or inexperienced, this is just his level.
All of that is absolutely worthless for assessing who can play under ETH. We actively gave away the ball to counter. That entire sample, worthless to ETH. He's not picking that over his own observations in training and preseason. It can't even be understated. We are not setting up to hide AWB's weakness on the ball, there's no modern proactive setup that hides it fullbacks. Fullbacks are pretty much pressure valves when playing out of the back.

People need to stop taking it out on Dalot. He isn't keeping AWB out of the team, he isn't good enough to do that. Dalot is playing by default of being more comfortable on the ball. if Dalot gets erased from the squad this second ETH still wouldnt favour AWB.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He wins a lot of headers, at least. Much better at it than Wan Bissaka who I think is actually an inch or two taller. Everything else he’s really average (or poor) at.

SATA

Was he really highly rated as a youngster at Porto when he was there? Mourinho has got us a dud, didn’t he?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Was he really highly rated as a youngster at Porto when he was there? Mourinho has got us a dud, didn’t he?
My memory may be failing me here, but I vaguely remember a Porto fan on the Caf saying he was surprised by the move and that Dalot was never really highly rated by them.

Azhar88

Can we all please stop slagging Dalot off, I've got him in my fantasy football team.

Stig

I would say that his running and ball control in the final third is better than AWB's, which is why he is playing. However, it doesn't mean a whole lot, when he can't find a teammate in the box to save his life.
I agree with you. But one of the reasons he can't find a teammate in the box is because they seem to think that the box is full of landmines because you rarely see Rashford, Sancho or Bruno actually in the box.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Jose believed he was the best RB of his age group which seems hard to believe. He's not actually good at anything. Should be playing in a weaker league.

Amira

At least AWB can tackle. This guy is a completely useless

Bobski

Improving every game and another one with the right attitude.

Mailo

He's too easily beaten and when under pressure, gives stupid balls away.

With that said, he's doing better than ok at the moment.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Young, talented player performing well under great manager? Who knew that managers had a role in how a player looks on the pitch. Shocker.

Trequarista10

He's great when we're dominating the ball, and steadily improving defensively too.

SER19

He's been too poor for too long to get too optimistic, but there's a visible difference in the guy's posture even. His confidence is up, he'll make some mistakes, but he's been very good and hopefully kicks on.

RetroStu

Well this is awkward.
There is nothing awkward about it. I have no problem with Dalot but many do, and having a decent game doesnt change that.
Same with Rashford and Mctom. Although i'm willing to go with Ten Hags decisions with out players, he's earning that right so far.

studs

Thread should should be locked you could of ask that question in his performance thread.

Boondog

Dalot was excellent today. He is improving game to game. I thought he'd be a weakness for us, but I was wrong the guy is pulling his weight. Martinelli is a world class draw in space one on one and he handled it. You could see that was Arteta's plan to get that pressure on that side but it didn't happen because Dalot showed up.

Going forward I think EtH wants more speed outside on the right side of the defense though. So Dalot is probably on borrowed time. But few things are as satisfying as watching players deliver more than you think they can. I'm really enjoying watching him play right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.