Are we a CDM short of being an elite team?

Fahad Jawaid

I think Ole would be in a dilemma right now, with so many cheap options available (Camavinga, Saul etc) with whom we can mould our formation for next season, plus the important decision of whether to let Pogba go and recoup some cash now, or let him go on a free again and on comes the humiliation from people and rivals of letting go the same player for nothing.

There are several formations we can choose with right signings to make it work, one option is to let go of Pogba for 50M Pounds, sign Saul & Camavinga for 70M and then we can use a midfield of:

Camavinga
Saul Bruno
Net Expenditure (20M)

What we can also do is, Sell Pogba (50M) sign Rice for 40M plus Lingard and play the following formation:

Rice
VDB Bruno
Net Saving (10M)

Or last option is Keep Pogba and Sign Rice for 40M plus Lingard and play the following formation:

Rice
Bruno Pogba
Net expenditure (40M)

I think the first two formations are very balanced as Saul/VDB are hard working players and will help the DM, thus we won't get over-run in the middle, specially against the top sides. Whereas in the last formation, I feel we would be comfortable against most sides as witnessed post lockdown with Matic, Pogba and Bruno, as our go to formation and we scored plenty of goals and played comfortable attacking football, so we would theoretically be replacing Matic with Rice.

kthanksbye

I'm inclined towards thinking that a midfield duo of Goretzka and Saul behind Bruno would work well.

Devil may care

McFred need to become bench players and we need to cash in on Pogba and sell Matic. Then Ole needs 2 CM's, a holder who can still use the ball well and a box to box, we're currently linked to plenty of the latter with Goretzka and Camavinga being the standouts, but I also like Auoar.

032Devil

With a powerful strike force now at United, the only real missing piece that has become absolutely crucial now is a midfielder of real quality. a midfielder who can strengthen our midriff and increase (substantially), the supply of passes to the forward line. And, we only have a few days to do it in.

tomaldinho1

With a powerful strike force now at United, the only real missing piece that has become absolutely crucial now is a midfielder of real quality. a midfielder who can strengthen our midriff and increase (substantially), the supply of passes to the forward line. And, we only have a few days to do it in.
Can we not just challenge now with the team we have, surely? What is it going to take an entire first 11 before the /missing piece' is found? Our midfield isn't even there to be creative, that's a tactical choice.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
With a powerful defence and midfield now at Man City, the only real missing piece that has become absolutely crucial now is a striker of real quality. a striker who can strengthen their goal threat and increase (substantially), the number of goals from the forward line. And, they only have a few days to do it in.

...my point being, you can do this for any club.

032Devil

I'm surprised by the reaction considering after almost every game there an upcry about our midfield.

luke511

FIRE SALE STARTED

Visit Manchester United buy station for discounts

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Play 4-3-3 with Bruno & Pogba as roaming 10's, when 1 goes forward & joins the attack the other sits back, instruct AWB to not go beyond the half way line and tuck in beside Fred/McTominay when we have possession.
Varane in defence means we can play a higher line if needed too.

We have the attacking power to kill off games early, and we need to take advantage of it.

Yagami

Good post resistant
First we brought back Paul McShane, now Ronaldo... Screw it. Just bring Scholes back again.

Teja

We went from 08-12 without a midfield and we can damn well do it for another 4 years :lol:

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
With such a potent attack, Fred and Mctominay are a perfect compliment. We just need them to shield their the defense and get the ball forward to one of our attackers. If we need creative deeper in our half, we can always put Pogba in there, ask linderlof to provide more of his trademark longballs, or tell Bruno and Sancho to drop deeper.

Our midfield is not an issue. It is like some United fans haven’t seen Fred or mctominay play the last few season or don’t understand nothing about football tactics. Pogba is resilient to a high press team, so we can drop him deeper when up against a team that press us high and catch them on the counter as we normally do

Crashoutcassius

Can we not just challenge now with the team we have, surely? What is it going to take an entire first 11 before the /missing piece' is found? Our midfield isn't even there to be creative, that's a tactical choice.
Lots of people, pundits, fans, ex players etc, agree that mctominay and Fred isn't the typical quality of a midfield that wins a title, especially when your rivals are two of the greatest English sides ever

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I'd genuinely try Luke Shaw in the middle.

Attribute for attribute, I don't think any of the Central options outmatch him.

Eli Zee

I'm surprised by the reaction considering after almost every game there an upcry about our midfield.
Last game rightfully so.. Fred and matic misplaced so many passed. Matic should never really start for us unless we are playin a downright terrible team IMO

Eric_the_Red99

I’m always amazed at how many people don’t seem to see the gaping hole we have in midfield, where we’re so much weaker than every other top club in the PL and in Europe. It’s so painfully obvious that we’re lacking in this department every time we come up against any half decent team.

We could have the most star studded forward line in the world, but if we don’t have the midfield to control a game, the likes to Ronaldo and Sancho will just be chasing shadows for 90 minutes

BorisManUtd

Defence: Maguire, Varane
Attack: Ronaldo, Sancho etc
Midfield: McFred :lol:

feck it's not even McFred atm with Scott being out injured.

luke511

With such a potent attack, Fred and Mctominay are a perfect compliment. We just need them to shield their the defense and get the ball forward to one of our attackers. If we need creative deeper in our half, we can always put Pogba in there, ask linderlof to provide more of his trademark longballs, or tell Bruno and Sancho to drop deeper.

Our midfield is not an issue. It is like some United fans haven’t seen Fred or mctominay play the last few season or don’t understand nothing about football tactics. Pogba is resilient to a high press team, so we can drop him deeper when up against a team that press us high and catch them on the counter as we normally do
There's no room for Pogba on the left wing when Rashford returns, he needs to be central with Bruno and a really good CDM behind them. Fred probably has the best chance of managing it because he has 3 lungs, but having both Fred and McTominay on at the same time because neither can handle the job alone is a massive waste of a space in the team.

Crashoutcassius

Last game rightfully so.. Fred and matic misplaced so many passed. Matic should never really start for us unless we are playin a downright terrible team IMO
I think the midfield is functional. But if the expectations are to challenge then we should improve it

My guess is most posters here don't want to say that as they are prepping their narrative that ole has the perfect squad and can't lose a single game, nor draw too many

tomaldinho1

Lots of people, pundits, fans, ex players etc, agree that mctominay and Fred isn't the typical quality of a midfield that wins a title, especially when your rivals are two of the greatest English sides ever
I've been banging that drum since day one but I have also accepted that's not what Ole wants. Liverpool's CMs aren't amazing individually they just feed the front three non stop, Ole doesn't really care about possession and just wants to get the ball into strikers or into space. Why do you think VdB who grew up in a possession obsessed system doesn't get any games.

Personally I think Pogba/Fred should work, even if it leaks a few more goals we'll be so much better in possession offensively.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
There's no room for Pogba on the left wing when Rashford returns, he needs to be central with Bruno and a really good CDM behind them. Fred probably has the best chance of managing it because he has 3 lungs, but having both Fred and McTominay on at the same time because neither can handle the job alone is a massive waste of a space in the team.
If you have watched United over the past few years, you will see that our win percentage is high with Mctominay and Fred in the team. These two provide the hardwork and industry that often get overshadowed and unnoticed. If playing a tough opponent, I don’t believe these two will be a waste of space as they disrupt opposition midfield play. However, against easier team, we can go with only one and have Pogba and Bruno play in front of the cdm.

Mcking

We are going to have many more games like Southampton unless we sort the midfied out, and Ronaldo in the team won't change shit.

Crashoutcassius

I've been banging that drum since day one but I have also accepted that's not what Ole wants. Liverpool's CMs aren't amazing individually they just feed the front three non stop, Ole doesn't really care about possession and just wants to get the ball into strikers or into space. Why do you think VdB who grew up in a possession obsessed system doesn't get any games.

Personally I think Pogba/Fred should work, even if it leaks a few more goals we'll be so much better in possession offensively.
I agree it is what Ole wants. And he clearly doesn't value an upgrade in midfield

But we could upgrade those exact roles. It would be some incredible coincidence if Ole joined united and the two best midfielders in the world for what he wanted were at the club.

It is one of the last pieces that we could really improve, and it is frustrating to me because the pressure is going to be on Ole and this was the season that he needed to complete the squad, keeping targets in mind for next season won't do him any good

sp_107

One of Touchameni / Carmavinga / Bissouma / Neves will do now

Now we can go after anyone we want as players will ove playing with him

A top quality defensive midfielder who would protect the back four and allow Bruno and Pogba to play their natural attacking game is all we are missing. Until we sign such a player we should have enough cover with McTominay, Fred and Matic to see us through.

UpWithRivers

Eh? Have you watched United under Ole. This is his exact plan, but it doesnt work. Southampton was a prime example. They cut off the passing by pressing the defense and shutting out the CM's. Result? The ball didnt get to the forwards. Just cos we have Ronaldo now that wont change. We had enough quality forwards against Southampton to hurt them but we couldnt. Shoving Ronaldo, Haaland, Kane anyone there wont make a difference if they cant get the ball to them.

luke511

If you have watched United over the past few years, you will see that our win percentage is high with Mctominay and Fred in the team. These two provide the hardwork and industry that often get overshadowed and unnoticed. If playing a tough opponent, I don’t believe these two will be a waste of space as they disrupt opposition midfield play. However, against easier team, we can go with only one and have Pogba and Bruno play in front of the cdm.
I understand the value of Fred's off the ball work, but he tends to need someone next to him to have that sort of freedom to close down. We need a CDM that can do the job on his own against 80-90% of opposition, we don't have such a player currently hence the urgency to buy one.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

Henderson
AWB-Varane-Maguire-Shaw
Rice
Bruno-Pogba
Sancho-Ronaldo-Rashford
That front 5 is going to rip a new hole :drool:
Let the rest do the defensive work.