What is the absolute minimum that United should achieve next season?

Infra-red

Why don't you start from the bottom 16? Then we can keep him longer and finally satisfy our fetish for a 'long term manager'
Come on, give Ole a break, he's only spent £145m on transfers for a side that finished 2nd barely over a year ago; expecting him to get us higher than 8th this season wouldn't be fair.

markhughes

Why don't you start from the bottom 16? Then we can keep him longer and finally satisfy our fetish for a 'long term manager'
Because this current side are not much better than 8th currently. This is mainly because of the mismanagement over the past few years.

It will take a few years to even get close to fixing this, it isn't football manager.

Hedgehog72

Right now i just want to enjoy watching them again, its been very painful to watch them these past few years. We clearly wont make top 4, so who cares. I don't mind losing a few 3-4, but i want to see us entertaining, scoring and playing with some passion and effort.
This season, i cant see many games us getting more than 1 goal in 90 minutes.
Not having a goal scorer in the team will do that to you. I
mproving the defence is all well and good, but i don't want us to be that 1-0 team.

TRUERED89

We're obviously still not going to win title #21 next season, so its the cliched top 4 fight as per fecking usual!

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Honestly my biggest concern is how we do in the market as the whole "rebuild" project entirely depends on us getting top quality players in every position. And not just top quality, they have to be young and want to be here for the right reasons. The reason LvG and Jose failed in the whole rebuild thing was because their ego got in the way of planning for the future, so they threw away money on mercenaries and older players that they thought would help them win the league that year instead of planning ahead

If we get 3rd, but have bought lots of older players and/or obvious mercenaries then i would see that as a big failure. Instead if we end up 5th-6th, but have bought/promoted young, promising players that looks to have a bright future and wants to play for the club for the right reason, that would be much, much better imo.

Few things feel better than hearing the champions league fanfare on a Wednesday night, but imo if we ever are to get out of this quagmire, then planning several years ahead is the only solution. Th

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
The absolute minimum is a Champions League qualification, not only for financial reasons, but also for prestige reasons.

Green_Red

Honestly if we dont put a man on the moon then this shit isnt fecking worth it! #MoonFred

Lee565

Champions league qualification through the Europa league, I'm not accepting Leicester finishing above us either considering we should have weakened them and strengthened ourselves with the purchase of Maguire.

If I thought Solskjear was making the team more technically astute, helping the youngster excel like we see at Chelsea and looking more fluid in possession I may have be more patient he is not doing any of that so it comes down to results just like it was expected under Mourinho with his pragmatic style, it's funny that lukaku was not favoured by Solskjear because his lack of ability in helping our build up play and yet teams like Chelsea and leicester can still play far better football than what we do with similar style of forwards in abraham and vardy who's role is to not really be involved in the build up play that much but just stay up top and score chances created for them them.

Alabaster Codify7

This thread didn't age well, did it?

In summer 2019, we all had expectations - admittedly, for many of us, these expectations were depressingly average.

Fast forward to November and we now dont even have diminished expectations. We might finish 8th, maybe 14th, who knows who cares.

This thread needs to stay alive though and threadmarked so we can map just how incredible our lowering of standards and acceptance of dogshit becomes year after year.

2020-21 - "Ole isn't the problem, so what if we finished 15th last season - Ole cannot get more than 45pts in the league with this squad it's simply not realistic. I'll be happy with us avoiding a relegation battle and giving as much game-time as possible to X and Y, theyre the future of the club."

KeanoMagicHat

The annoying thing is that Spurs and Arsenal have massive problems and have had poor starts to the season as well, so if United were even somewhat competent - beat Crystal Palace at home and one of Newcastle or Bournemouth away for example - they'd be 5th on 19 points and keeping pace with the hope that Leicester would eventually fade.

Instead United are 10 points off top 4 already, where it's hard to envisage a winning run. Might beat Brighton at home in the next game but then afterwards does anyone see this United team breaking down Sheffield United's defence so far this season? Way behind and hard to see where a winning run is going to come from.

Fosu-Mens

The annoying thing is that Spurs and Arsenal have massive problems and have had poor starts to the season as well, so if United were even somewhat competent - beat Crystal Palace at home and one of Newcastle or Bournemouth away for example - they'd be 5th on 19 points and keeping pace with the hope that Leicester would eventually fade.

Instead United are 10 points off top 4 already, where it's hard to envisage a winning run. Might beat Brighton at home in the next game but then afterwards does anyone see this United team breaking down Sheffield United's defence so far this season? Way behind and hard to see where a winning run is going to come from.
The club will rely on what our attacking plan is: Luck and coincidences.

bonothom

Option 5: A 'free swing' for Ole (same position and the same points)
For this option, we basically accept that this is going to be a season of experimentation, testing culture change and re-establishing the United philosophy. As such, there are no expectations whatsoever for Ole to deliver anything.
Does this free swing include being pretty much out of top 4 running after a paltry 11 games. Does it include being closer to the bottom 3 than the top 4?

rpg

Absolute minimum 17 th place. Instead of languishing around 10th spot for the next 5 years, i would rather it goes to Championship for a year.

Bestietom

Depends on what players we bring in really. We should work on bringing in a top attacking midfielder and a CF first. Then a DM and a RW. These must be Top players and right for us.