What is the ambition of our club?

Utd7

Glazers are just not skillful in running sports teams. The Buccaneers were poorly run for years until Tom Brady chose them and won a Super Bowl. And the scary thing is the Glazers actually care about success in the NFL unlike competing in England. That doesn’t bode well for Manchester United.

lex talionis

If we are to be honest, the sole objective of the Glazers is to make as much money for themselves as possible. If they could make even more money off us after we're relegated they'd have no problem with us being relegated. No other considerations apart from accumulating more and more wealth is relevant for these fukks.

Waynne

Any ambition this club had died when Sir Alex left.

Now its all about making money. That's the ambition of Man United.

Member 125288

He was never going to be around forever though, I’d argue the actual moment the ambition died was when we hired Moyes to take over a championship-winning side.

Scriblerus

Cash cow. The only thing supporting the football is that presumably the cash returns (Tv, sponsors, etc) are best if we make CL, so there's a business incentive to invest to get us there.

Fluctuation0161

I know we are one game in but I am genuinely confused about where United are as a football club. On the face of it, we have made an excellent appointment as our new manager and in pre-season we began to see the first fruits of early impact. However, whilst this is happening, we are witnessing nothing short of amateurism in the transfer window. We are on the verge of recruiting two players that are acknowledged to be 'baggage'. Then in our first match of the season, all the pre-season lessons appear to have been forgotten. Is it that the people running the club genuinely don't know what they are doing? Are they really utterly incompetent? Is the rot across the club even more wide-spread and deeper that we ever imagined?

Where are we heading and what is the ambition of our club?
The ambition is for us to pay dividends and for thr value of the club to increase regardless of performance on the pitch.

ExoduS

I don't think ambition is the problem. I believe the team and the coaching have been consumed with the pressure to succeed. The pressure sometimes appears so enormous that some players can't do basic football stuff cause they are choking.

We have seen in few instances in the past that we can actually play well when pressure lowers, just to stink again once pressure returns as we have a chance to do either win something or contend for a higher place on the table.

We almost need a hard reset and enter a season with no expectations at all or low expectations and build from there.

Obviously no one knows the answer what we need, all guessing game. This entire post Alex era seems as if we are cursed.

Our biggest curse is that top players don't want to play for us and those that do start well and fall into mediocrity soon enough.

Waynne

He was never going to be around forever though, I’d argue the actual moment the ambition died was when we hired Moyes to take over a championship-winning side.
Obviously he wasn't going to manage us forever.

This club doesn't have any sort of plan on the pitch. The business side has flourished over the years, making more and more money. Goes to show where priorities are.

Ekeke

Our ambition is top 4, but not through great progress and signings. They'll be over the moon if we get 4th the same way we got 2nd seasons ago - our opponents were messing up more than we were, so we had an easy task. If that happens and we get 4th despite no real improvement in how we play over previous years, they'll mark it down as a great season.

wolvored

The glazers run businesses and they are runing the club as a business. They think hiring businessmen will help the club grow. As a buiness thats fine, but doesnt work as a football club.
They think spending £xxx a season on new products (players) is the best way to maximise profits, but dont understand the wrong players who dont fit the team will make it worse. Pogba is a prime example. The glazers probably thought if we spend £89 mill on a big name player and big on social media it will follow that he will be one of the best players and bring success on the pitch. Woodward wouldnt have said anything as he is a businessman too.
Unless they change their mind regarding getting people who are successful in football matters into the big jobs, DOF etc, then the ambition is an ever decreasing step away from football and into a gradually declining business.

Stacks

I know we are one game in but I am genuinely confused about where United are as a football club. On the face of it, we have made an excellent appointment as our new manager and in pre-season we began to see the first fruits of early impact. However, whilst this is happening, we are witnessing nothing short of amateurism in the transfer window. We are on the verge of recruiting two players that are acknowledged to be 'baggage'. Then in our first match of the season, all the pre-season lessons appear to have been forgotten. Is it that the people running the club genuinely don't know what they are doing? Are they really utterly incompetent? Is the rot across the club even more wide-spread and deeper that we ever imagined?

Pre season matches count for squat. Its not progress when playing league 1 standard teams at zero intensity. I said this during the games

Azhar88

Why do people insist on writing this stuff.... "when Sir Alex left." He hasn't left, that is part of the problem, he is part of the problem.

Furthermore, when he was the manager of the club, not an associate director/consultant/ambassador or whatever he is now, did he ever have to face 9 or 10 well funded and well organised rival teams? No he did not. Did he ever have to go up against teams that get 95-100 points like City and Liverpool do, who play a modern type of football with sweeper keepers and press resistant skillful players? Again, he did not. So why does the club, two weeks ago, enhance Alex Ferguson's role in the organisation and expect it to help? It is time for a reset*, people need to stop eulogising about the past and we most certainly need a break from it now, because what worked then is not going to work now, be it dominating in the transfer market or dominating on the pitch because everything has changed.

*Sadly a reset could have happened if Ralf Rangnicks advice had been acted upon, but no, he was fired because the dinosaurs and the money men, didn't fancy it.

Art

Art the artist
We may have our worst ever season in the Premier League this year.

Chief123

Unfortunately there’s not much monetary difference between getting 1st and getting 4th. I believe it’s something like only £20m.

Glazers do not want to spend that extra 150-200m it would take to challenge for 1st place just to get £20m extra. They’d rather just keep targeting 4th which is significantly cheaper to achieve with a similar reward.

Azhar88

Unfortunately there’s not much monetary difference between getting 1st and getting 4th. I believe it’s something like only £20m.

Glazers do not want to spend that extra 150-200m it would take to challenge for 1st place just to get £20m extra. They’d rather just keep targeting 4th which is significantly cheaper to achieve with a similar reward.
Yes, but they need to realise that if you target 1st but get a run of bad luck, some bad decisions or long-term injuries occur, you might end up in 4th. Whereas if you target 4th and the unforeseen happens, you can soon end up in 7th or 8th.

We may have our worst ever season in the Premier League this year.
I fear you may be right. Perhaps a season out of Europe completely would be a positive thing and make the owners think about selling up? It's difficult though because with that new Conference thing, as well as the Europa, you would have to finish mid-table to achieve that. The other problem is the manager, finish fifth or sixth & he might be allowed to stay (I still wonder if that clause is in ETHs contract that all the others have had since Moyes: get CL or bye-bye) but I bet if United finished 10th or 11th (don't laugh Brighton were ninth last season and looked much better on Sunday) he would have to go, leading to yet more instability and a new transfer wish-list.

Waynne

Why do people insist on writing this stuff.... "when Sir Alex left." He hasn't left, that is part of the problem, he is part of the problem.

Furthermore, when he was the manager of the club, not an associate director/consultant/ambassador or whatever he is now, did he ever have to face 9 or 10 well funded and well organised rival teams? No he did not. Did he ever have to go up against teams that get 95-100 points like City and Liverpool do, who play a modern type of football with sweeper keepers and press resistant skillful players? Again, he did not. So why does the club, two weeks ago, enhance Alex Ferguson's role in the organisation and expect it to help? It is time for a reset*, people need to stop eulogising about the past and we most certainly need a break from it now, because what worked then is not going to work now, be it dominating in the transfer market or dominating on the pitch because everything has changed.

*Sadly a reset could have happened if Ralf Rangnicks advice had been acted upon, but no, he was fired because the dinosaurs and the money men, didn't fancy it.
Calm down.

Sir Alex papered over the cracks, hence my post. I'm not going to go into his current role because none of us know the extent of it or if it has any weight on decisions the club is making going forward.

croadyman

Yeah every day they survive a little bit more of my joy for this club just ebbs away

Stacks

Yes, but they need to realise that if you target 1st but get a run of bad luck, some bad decisions or long-term injuries occur, you might end up in 4th. Whereas if you target 4th and the unforeseen happens, you can soon end up in 7th or 8th.

I fear you may be right. Perhaps a season out of Europe completely would be a positive thing and make the owners think about selling up? It's difficult though because with that new Conference thing, as well as the Europa, you would have to finish mid-table to achieve that. The other problem is the manager, finish fifth or sixth & he might be allowed to stay (I still wonder if that clause is in ETHs contract that all the others have had since Moyes: get CL or bye-bye) but I bet if United finished 10th or 11th (don't laugh Brighton were ninth last season and looked much better on Sunday) he would have to go, leading to yet more instability and a new transfer wish-list.
How are you saying this when he are 2nd biggest spenders in Europe, signed Verane, Ronaldo and Sancho in one window. Just spent another 70 odd mill on a defender. I told another poster, you guys drastically overrated how much profit United actually make.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I think there's a chance the Glazers sell up once it's pretty much certain that a Super League wouldn't materialise.

Unfortunately, I think we'll see a Super League some time in our lifetimes.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
It's really weird, and hilarious for opposition fans, how the club operates. It has been underwhelming in the league since SAF retirement and a complete joke at times in Europe and the way they have approached this transfer window, after not signing anyone in the winter window, is like they aren't aware there is a big gap to catch up with the top teams.

I thought Ronaldo wanting to leave was a bit of a dick move by him, but then after the news about Rabiot and Arnautovic I think it's worrisome that everyone else is apparently ok with facing the new season in such a state. It's clear they don't have a strategy or a clear plan with recruitment seeing the names they've been recently linked up with this late into the transfer market when all their rivals have already better reinforcements.

kthanksbye

I'm guessing consistent top 4 finishes, and last 8 of the CL, that's the commercial sweet spot, the money required to achieve more than that is not worth it when you look at the money the club "might" make if it achieves beyond that, because there's no guarantee of the returns.
Having said that, the owners don't know how to hire people in important roles, which is why we haven't even been able to become a consistent top 4 team.

Or maybe all the chaos is what they want? to be in the news, twitter, articles, memes, streamers content. I don't know how that is beneficial.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
People say its for the Glazers to make money but running a club poorly is not the best way to earn money. Secondly the wages they pay and the money they have spent on transfers... suggests they're just majorly incompetent and now we are seeing signs that they are trying to tighten the purse strings but still doing a shite job at that too.

Toblerone92

We should have done everything within our power, which let’s be honest as Manchester United is a hell of a lot, to put the structure in place for the new manager to succeed, as City did for Pep.

Instead we go into a new season once again where it seems every team in the PL has worked hard to prepare and recruited well, with the same pathetic approach to running a club that supposedly has CL and title winning ambitions. It’s demoralising beyond words.

It’s like we are doomed to remain a ghost of our former glory, surrounded by reminders of past achievements to an almost overwhelming degree, an eternity of purgatory and example of how not to run a club.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Officially it's "Youth, Courage, Success"
The problem is we keep trying to buy over the hill 30+ year-old players every summer.
Every time there's something on the line, our players shit themselves silly.
Finally, we've been devoid of success on the pitch for quite some time now.

RedDevil@84

People say its for the Glazers to make money but running a club poorly is not the best way to earn money. Secondly the wages they pay and the money they have spent on transfers... suggests they're just majorly incompetent and now we are seeing signs that they are trying to tighten the purse strings but still doing a shite job at that too.
This is my viewpoint. While all blame ultimately goes to Glazers, but they have spent loads of money on players who turned shite. They hired and fired managers doling out compensations and all. While all that money maybe nothing in front of the money that the club makes for them, but still if they were really plain a**holes, they would not have thrown away money at buying average players, when they could keep it to themseleves.
But they spent money on utter dross, which shows that they have given money to a bunch of idiots who don't know what to do. Ultimately, it is all gross incompetence by glazers in appointing the idiots, but it is not a straight forward "Club makes, Glazers loot" answer.

Esquire

We can’t be many years away from United’s star power and therefore earning potential being completely faded surely?

This window’s budge may even be evidence we are already there.
My friend we are already at this station of Faded Glory and Absolutely No Pull. Don’t even delude ourselves that we were ever in the running for the likes of Haaland, Nunez, etc. FDJ is a good player but for FFS it’s clear he doesn’t want to come.

Esquire

This is my viewpoint. While all blame ultimately goes to Glazers, but they have spent loads of money on players who turned shite. They hired and fired managers doling out compensations and all. While all that money maybe nothing in front of the money that the club makes for them, but still if they were really plain a**holes, they would not have thrown away money at buying average players, when they could keep it to themseleves.
But they spent money on utter dross, which shows that they have given money to a bunch of idiots who don't know what to do. Ultimately, it is all gross incompetence by glazers in appointing the idiots, but it is not a straight forward "Club makes, Glazers loot" answer.
For all the supposed largess spent by the owners, the Glazers never spent a dime of their own money. From purchase to operation until the day they sell. The least they could do was to forego their dividends if they were ever altruistic owners. They clearly are not and never pretended to be.

AFC NimbleThumb

Glazers are just not skillful in running sports teams. The Buccaneers were poorly run for years until Tom Brady chose them and won a Super Bowl. And the scary thing is the Glazers actually care about success in the NFL unlike competing in England. That doesn’t bode well for Manchester United.
This./

Look at how this club still turns money after the incompetence we’ve seen since their takeover. Even during SAFs reign it was his management that brought success, & you could argue that success was limited by their parasitic ownership model.

I don’t think any owner could have done a worse job as they’ve gotten the least out of their ‘investment’. This was the banker, the one that couldn’t fail.