What is the greatest football anthem?

BillyJoel

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool, Hansa Rostock
I actually really like Atletico Madrid's hymn.

Here sung by a chinese woman after the Wanda stadium stuff:

Last edited by a moderator:

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If you’re going to declare an affiliation for rangers, you can’t be seen to like hibs and Celtic songs, would be like an Israeli saying he doesn’t mind Yasser Arafat
True, but in regards to Scottish football I've had a mad upbringing. Birth dad is Rangers, Nana and mum are Celtic, cousins are a huge mix of Rangers and Celtic, step-dad is a Celtic fan and so is my brother. Even as a youngster I adored United and that was my team, but due to my dad (and my surname :lol: ) I ended up having an affinity for Rangers, don't get to go to games anymore but when they were relegated went to quite a few. I'm nowhere near as staunch as many fans, due to my brother and mum and step-dad. I can objectively watch Rangers and not get massively annoyed when they don't win, likewise watching Celtic doesn't bother me and I can just enjoy watching the games. It's probably weird to everyone else but I don't mind.

I only like Hibs' song to be fair :lol: it's a belter. Other than that no other feelings towards them.

DVG7

True, but in regards to Scottish football I've had a mad upbringing. Birth dad is Rangers, Nana and mum are Celtic, cousins are a huge mix of Rangers and Celtic, step-dad is a Celtic fan and so is my brother. Even as a youngster I adored United and that was my team, but due to my dad (and my surname :lol: ) I ended up having an affinity for Rangers, don't get to go to games anymore but when they were relegated went to quite a few. I'm nowhere near as staunch as many fans, due to my brother and mum and step-dad. I can objectively watch Rangers and not get massively annoyed when they don't win, likewise watching Celtic doesn't bother me and I can just enjoy watching the games. It's probably weird to everyone else but I don't mind.

I only like Hibs' song to be fair :lol: it's a belter. Other than that no other feelings towards them.
put it on the jukebox next time you’re in a rangers Pub:angel:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Les grandes equipes.
Miss the tension of playing in the latter stages. :(

Chipper

Adulterer.
You fill up my seeeenses :drool:
I think it's great! How long have people complained about football being too corporate or no longer the working class persons sport etc? The spirit of that song takes it back to those sorts of days for me.

Working class northerners sing about their love o very working class things as well as their team and the city they're from. All to a bit of a different tune as far as football songs go.
There's a video somewhere of our (United) fans singing it at one of the cup finals in the 70s. It's not the sign on, sign on version either!

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I'm afraid your brother is wrong. Liverpool fans started singing it a couple of years before Celtic supporters took it on board. The Kop pretty much introduced terrace singing to the country when they started singing along to the latest songs that were played pre-match. Quite a lot of the songs at the time were by Liverpool artists during the Merseybeat era. Celtic supporters only started singing it after hearing it sung by Liverpool fans at the 1966 Cup Winners Cup semi-final.

https://www.smoothradio.com/features/the-story-of/youll-never-walk-alone-liverpool-fans-why/
Football singing started long before teams started YAWN in the 60s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_chant

https://www.bcfc.com/club-and-fans/club/history/club-anthem/

At the final itself on 5th May, “Keep Right On” was even included in the community singing schedule, a pre-match tradition of the time, but for balance "She's a lassie from Lancashire" was also sung in deference to Blues’ opponents that day Manchester City.

Last edited:

BarstoolProphet

Celtic fans singing Fields of Athenry always brings a lump to my throat. Beautiful song.

The Irish fans singing that non stop for the last 10 mins of their last game at the 2012 Euros (while being 4-0 down against Spain) is arguably the best terrace moment in football history.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
thanks for that.... never seen before. Excellent.

(Youtubed and it then takes you to other vids? Watched the highlights and pitch invasion. Some cup final?!
I think it's great! How long have people complained about football being too corporate or no longer the working class persons sport etc? The spirit of that song takes it back to those sorts of days for me.

Working class northerners sing about their love o very working class things as well as their team and the city they're from. All to a bit of a different tune as far as football songs go.

There's a video somewhere of our (United) fans singing it at one of the cup finals in the 70s. It's not the sign on, sign on version either!
Oh right, link the video.

I was at 77 (first final, with Dad), don't remember it at that one. Just texted him, he called me an idiot.

I'm guessing the odd fan may have sung it at some time (it was a big song from a film years before G&TPs made it a hit). Like the odd fan would have sung plenty of popular show/film tunes.... then some urban legend has grown and/or someone's said it to piss off Liverpool fans.

fps

That bit of Seven Nation Army that goes dum, dum DUM dum dum DUMMM, Dumm....

Chipper

Adulterer.
thanks for that.... never seen before. Excellent.

(Youtubed and it then takes you to other vids? Watched the highlights and pitch invasion. Some cup final?!

I was at 77 (first final, with Dad), don't remember it at that one. Just texted him, he called me an idiot.

I'm guessing the odd fan may have sung it at some time (it was a big song from a film years before G&TPs made it a hit). Like the odd fan would have sung plenty of popular show/film tunes.... then some urban legend has grown and/or someone's said it to piss off Liverpool fans.
I will if I can find it.

Was looking for it earlier and nothing really showed by googling things like "United fans singing you'll never walk alone", well not at the top of the results. Just kept getting hits for that bloke who said his gran sang it on the pitch at Old Trafford as part of a choir before it was ever sang at Anfield. That's different to actual fans singing it of course.

I might be mistaken here, but I don't think I am. If I am then I'm probably mixing it up with another song that we supposedly never sung or there was some question over. Whatever it was I'm thinking of , it was going round forums about 10 years back. Might have to watch all of our 70s cup final matches in full to find out exactly what it was and I haven't got time for that this second.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United

Gives me goosebumps every time, imagine hearing it on a European night?

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Football singing started long before teams started YAWN in the 60s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_chant

https://www.bcfc.com/club-and-fans/club/history/club-anthem/

At the final itself on 5th May, “Keep Right On” was even included in the community singing schedule, a pre-match tradition of the time, but for balance "She's a lassie from Lancashire" was also sung in deference to Blues’ opponents that day Manchester City.
Perhaps I should have elaborated a bit more & said that Liverpool fans instigated the terrace singing we now see in today's football whereby supporters change the words to songs/tunes to reflect their own club, or to ridicule opposition clubs. A great example was Liverpool supporters on the Kop singing 'Who's up Mary Brown' to the tune of 'Knee's up mother Brown' on Tommy Docherty first visit to Anfield after his infamous affair with the United physio's wife Mary Brown back in the 70's.

Chipper

Adulterer.

I can now say it wasn't one of the 70s finals so I was wrong there, but I am quite sure it was '83.

The youtube video that was linked to in both these posts is not there/has been taken down and I don't even know if it was in the first game or the replay, but this is some progress towards finding it.

https://www.utdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=568190
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/would-you-ever-sing-yawn.168604/

Hoof the ball

I'm afraid your brother is wrong. Liverpool fans started singing it a couple of years before Celtic supporters took it on board. The Kop pretty much introduced terrace singing to the country when they started singing along to the latest songs that were played pre-match. Quite a lot of the songs at the time were by Liverpool artists during the Merseybeat era. Celtic supporters only started singing it after hearing it sung by Liverpool fans at the 1966 Cup Winners Cup semi-final.

https://www.smoothradio.com/features/the-story-of/youll-never-walk-alone-liverpool-fans-why/
The origins of terraced singing in football in Britain itself is replete with Victorian examples of entire terraces singing hymns going back to the 19th century; and then into the early 20th century hymn's were sung with lyrics changed to relate to the local team or town itself. Terrace singing of contemporary music of the culture far pre-dated Liverpool's latter influence in the 60's.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
For me it's without question fat Pav and Puccini for Italia '90.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I can now say it wasn't one of the 70s finals so I was wrong there, but I am quite sure it was '83.

The youtube video that was linked to in both these posts is not there/has been taken down and I don't even know if it was in the first game or the replay, but this is some progress towards finding it.

https://www.utdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=568190
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/would-you-ever-sing-yawn.168604/
Ok, I stand to be corrected but still.... no. :)

I'm going to guess it was "you'll never get a job". I heard that a lot in the early 80s - think it started about then because we took the piss of the high unemployment they were going through. Hence, very possible that we'd still be singing it in 83.

I've actually got that on VHS tape (plural tapes, as cup final day on TV used to be several hours long) along with loads of others. In a box in the attic somewhere.... don't even think I'd be able to play them anymore, but not binning them.

====================================================

Not sure what definition of anthem is but wierdly, I like I'm forever blowing bubbles. Odd as West Ham are one of the teams I'd love to see relegated.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
One of the funniest.

Just after the newspapers reported Andy Goram receiving treatment for mental illness.

"There's only 2 Andy Gorams, 2 andy goooorams. "

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
This had to be added to the roster, if nothing else as a hat tip to Ole's Molde past. Not bad, actually, if you ask me :)

Molde FK - Fryktløs

PowerOfDreams

Agree New Order world in motion just sounds amazing, like a lot of their songs do.

Token Sheet

"No 6 bus to Old Trafford 6p, Admission to re

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ma...oull-never-walk-alone-is-our-song-1121768.amp