What is the point of these daft run ups when taking penalties.

Lee565

It clearly doesn't equal better conversation rate than you conventional old school penalty technique, is it just some attention seeking marketing ploy by players thinking more about their bank balance than winning trophies by trying to be "unique" with their penalty styles?

clarkydaz

notice Pogba didnt do it when it mattered. You knew Rashford had missed before he even kicked it

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Unless you're a RVN, where the GK cannot get to the ball despite knowing exactly where you're going to put it, I think the waiting game style isn't the worst.

Goalkeepers are always at a disadvantage in pens and they need to make their mind up where the attacker is going to put his pen else they have no chance of saving the pen.

A hop skip and jump style means that the attacker knows where the GK will dive in most cases and as long as you hit the target, you're mostly going to find the back of the net. Obviously, there are keepers who wait till the last moment to make their mind up for certain kick takers (like Pickford vs Jorginho), however, in those cases, all you need is a decent bit of power. Getting down this early is tough if the GK waits till the last moment.

Ofcourse the "old school way" has it's advantages, but unless you can put it in the corner, you're literally going to have a 50% chance of scoring (which aren't great odds)

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If Bruno continues to have a rate of missing one in every 15 pens, he can do a cartwheel backflip hop skip and a jump run up for all I care.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Any evidence with the claim of “clearly it doesn’t have a better conversion rate than a conventional penalty”?

I’d say Bruno & Jorginho have 2 of the best conversion rates.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Any evidence with the claim of “clearly it doesn’t have a better conversion rate than a conventional penalty”?

I’d say Bruno & Jorginho have 2 of the best conversion rates.
Lewandowski does a little skip as well and he is pretty damn automatic from the spot.

Lee565

Yea Bruno and Jorginho have awful conversion rates.
Jorginho missed his last two penalties in the most important of penalty shoot outs.

Fair enough about Bruno, he seems to have mastered it well. A lot of other players seem to almost get caught in two minds half way through the stalling tactics of deciding where to aim for.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
To confuse the keeper although you need to have balls of steel. If the keeper is more confident than you then it's pointless. Longer run up = more time to think = more time to be nervous. Personally I would just run very quickly and smash the ball very hard and pray for the best.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
There is no right or wrong, taking a penalty is personal and have to do what feels comfortable for the player.

At the end of the day it's quite easy, pick your spot and send it that way. I think people read too much into penalties.

For me I would say penalties should not be hit soft, so if a player doesn't put much power on a penalty it's the only time I would criticise because it increases the goalkeepers chances significantly to save it if it's not hit with pace and he dives the right way.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
There’s a difference between a skip (Bruno, Jorginho) or hesitation like Hazard does and those daft runups like Pogba, Rashford and Neymar do. The first are very succesful penalty takers so no reason to question the method. Second, not sure what the benefit is.

Ainu

Jorginho missed his last two penalties in the most important of penalty shoot outs.

Fair enough about Bruno, he seems to have mastered it well. A lot of other players seem to almost get caught in two minds half way through the stalling tactics of deciding where to aim for.
He scored the deciding penalty in the semi-final against Spain.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Got nothing to back this up but I’d think the stuttering run works a lot better in training and not so important matches, finals and knockout shootouts, just connect with it well.

I actually think Rashfords attempt was pretty good. Forces the keeper to choose side first, sends it the other direction. He doesn't need power in his shot when he's played the keeper. Gets a bit unlucky hitting the post.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

So what it Jorginho missed? Players miss penalties all the time, the point remains that his overall conversion rate is extremely good and he uses the style of run up the OP is bemoaning.

When players miss with a “normal” run up that doesn’t get blamed, it’s really not an issue.

People just don’t like different.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
To confuse the keeper although you need to have balls of steel. If the keeper is more confident than you then it's pointless. Longer run up = more time to think = more time to be nervous. Personally I would just run very quickly and smash the ball very hard and pray for the best.
It's not really about confusing the keeper or being more confident. Bruno and Lewandowski have the technical ability to hold off on deciding where to place the ball until the last moment while keeping the keeper in their field of view. So either the keeper picks a corner and they place it in the other one or the keepers stays rooted to their spot, making it incredibly hard to get to a decently placed penalty on reaction time alone.
The key words are "technical ability".
Even then, sometimes you just miss a pen. It happens.

MU655

Yea Bruno and Jorginho have awful conversion rates.
But their records aren't better than Kane who just runs and places it into the corner. Is it actually beneficial or are they just good at placing it? I will probably go for the latter.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The best penalty-takers do it — Lewandowski, Jorginho, Bruno. If you’re good enough to put an accurate shot from the spot without much acceleration, it’s the best, because usually keepers have to jump (just) before the actual shot, otherwise they only have a chance of saving it if it’s a weak pen in an easy area.

It’s a jerk-off reaction to judge the method based on this shoot out. Rashford’s problem wasn’t the run up — it was his technique that let him down. He sent the keeper other way and had a clear shot at goal. Jorginho apparently got too nervous and didn’t wait long enough, while Pickford did as much as a keeper can do in such a situation.

In shoot-outs psychology is 80% of success, the technique doesn’t play as big of a role, hence why Lewa/Bruno/Jorginho/Hazard are so ridiculously effective most of the time.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I like Salah's style of just building up speed and then blamming it somewhere high and wide inside the frame. Nothing for the keeper to read and they won't get there fast enough anyway unless they commit early. And even then they probably won't.

Unless you have a lot of backlift from a standing shot, I don't think the stuttered run up is a good idea. Your job is to place it with power and that is all.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
But their records aren't better than Kane who just runs and places it into the corner. Is it actually beneficial or are they just good at placing it? I will probably go for the latter.
Kane — 44 out of 52 (84,6%)
Bruno — 41 out of 44 (93%)
Lewa — 62 out of 68 (91%)
Jorginho — 29 out of 33 (87%)

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
When players miss with a “normal” run up that doesn’t get blamed, it’s really not an issue.
I wouldn't blame a non regular taker for doing it. It is compensation for lacking confidence or ability to shoot hard and precise beyond the keeper's range.
A regular taker should always be comfortable in their power and precision.

Green_Red

to see if the keeper moves to one side or the other so you can shoot the opposite direction.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Everything different isn’t fecking ‘daft’. At top level sport players will constantly develop new ways in am attempt to gain even a small advantage.

Just like it isn’t ‘daft’ for a goalkeeper to be moving around on the line trying to distract the taker.

Abraxas

I don't see the problem. You either try to wait for the keeper and have more room for error because the keeper is late on it, however you lack some momentum to hit it hard, or you just run up and hit it but against a Donnarumma you better be pretty close to the corner at good pace. Both methods have their merits, was Rashford's error in the run up or the connection? A few inches to the right and we're saying what a great penalty, it's easy to be captain hindsight after the event.

Even Maguire's technique isn't foolproof, it looked fantastic because it's virtually perfectly placed, but if you get under that even the slightest bit more you are ballooning that. It's a technique for power but usually less control.

All just overanalysing after the event in my opinion, you have to take the pens in the best way for you that you've practiced in training. If it was good enough there then you hope it's good enough under pressure, deviating would be the only mistake.

RedorDead21

to see if the keeper moves to one side or the other so you can shoot the opposite direction.
the ability to act on that knowledge in real time and then execute makes it just as difficult for the person taking the pen I’d say….fact is if you hit the corners with some speed the keeper can’t get it.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Not against a good keeper.
Well, if the keeper hasn’t moved yet when you kick the ball then you can basically just roll it into a corner without much force. Look a Lewandowski‘s penalties for instance.

Hammondo

Well, if the keeper hasn’t moved yet when you kick the ball then you can basically just roll it into a corner without much force. Look a Lewandowski‘s penalties for instance.
Yea 100 percent, thats what Rashford attempted, you will stop more goals if you force them to make those shots rather than just guessing and moving early.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I like Salah's style of just building up speed and then blamming it somewhere high and wide inside the frame. Nothing for the keeper to read and they won't get there fast enough anyway unless they commit early. And even then they probably won't.

Unless you have a lot of backlift from a standing shot, I don't think the stuttered run up is a good idea. Your job is to place it with power and that is all.
His record is way better than I expected too -- 21/24 (and 2 were missed in the same game, an AFCON 6-0 win :lol:)

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Kane — 44 out of 52 (84,6%)
Bruno — 41 out of 44 (93%)
Lewa — 62 out of 68 (91%)
Jorginho — 29 out of 33 (87%)
Wow, Lewandowski is a slinger from the spot. Bruno Penandes is insane too.