What is the solution to our midfield?

jem

We need strong management and not give a shit about who should play based on wages. I think you are right that this is a sensible way of approaching it which is why I was desperate to sign DM and holding mids this Summer. Donny may prove to be effective in another position, and Pogba as an impact sub played deeper. But for now I think it makes complete sense to view things this way.

Poor Ole. Going to have to face the music. C'est la vie.
I think it would help his standing immeasurably by taking a bold stance for the next match: Henderson in for DDG (not that he was really at fault today; but doesn't really inspire anymore); maybe try that youngster Mengi at CB (I haven't watched him but can't be any worse than the shambles we've seen over the last 3 weeks); Matic, Fred (or even McTominay if a more muscular presence is needed) with Bruno in midfield; Rashford, Greenwood and VDB up front (if Mata can play on the wing, I don't see why VDB can't; I'd even consider bringing Mata into the fold, as he's been one of the few players in good form.)

I still think our defence is an unfixable mess at the moment, but maybe just the shock of such sweeping changes would provide the necessary boot up the ass for this group of underperformers. Oh, and I'd strip Maguire of the captaincy. He is the most uninspiring figure. We concede a goal and he always seems to be squatting, head in hand. He should be fecking rallying the troops.

UmbroDays

A proper coach
Co-sign.

We are making the mistake of thinking of which players should play here and there. But the reality is that we do not have a recognised system where the players know what they are doing.

So it doesn't matter who we have in the team, we haven't got a system. Some said it in the other thread and we were chastised, but if anyone can give an explanation of what the system is and where VdB would fit into that, then that would be great.

The reality is that a qualified tactician would get more out of Fred, McT, Mata and Lingard than we're getting out go Pogba, Bruno and Matic/Fred/whoever. When you have a system with player role A, B, C, D you can then bring in whatever player to do role A, B, C, D. Our (Caf members) issue is that we're thinking that throwing all these players in at once is the fix, its not.

A huge issue I've seen recently is that our whole team pass, just to pass the ball with no intention. Side ways, behind, after 3 touches when it should have been 1st time. I don't know if its for stats, to look good, I don't know but we do not pass the ball to get around teams. It's evident in the middle of the park. I don't see any system, I don't know what certain players roles are in the team e.g. Pogba, is he box-to-box, is he DMF, is he an 8? What will VdB role be? Have you seen any position he can fit in, etc? If we play Pogba and Bruno, are they both attacking? Who attacks where? Who overlaps who? Who defensively tracks who in midfield? You can see it when they perform post-match analysis on our games, our midfield has no shape and no direction and teams get through our "high press" with ease. It's mind-boggling no one in our staff can see it, but Sevilla, and 3 games into this season, other teams have.

These are all the questions that make me believe that it is not the players in the midfield, it's the system, tactics and coaching that we do not have.

Carrick has no place in our coaching team. He was a static, immobile and passive player. What do you think he's going to pass down to our lads?

Last edited:

Lentwood

Returning to the defensive, counter attacking football probably stops the rot but won’t save Ole’s job. Plodding along to finish outside top four is all it will do but it maybe is best option for a manager as limited as Ole.
It doesn’t have to be a massively negative tactic though, we’ve still got the attacking quality on the pitch to win lots of football matches

At the moment, we’re far too easy to play against. I’m not exempting the players from criticism but Matic and the back four would have to be the greatest players to have ever play the game to make this mess work and come out of it looking half-useful

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Find the positional and attitude equivalent of Bruno at 8 and 6 and sign them both. No standards lower than Bruno. No outrageous contracts for unproven talent, just a desire to work hard and be a leader.

Psh, easy!