What is up with Bernardo Silva?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TsuWave

made this idiotic post:

when people tell him these jokes are not the move. he reacts like this:

now, I see people trying to defend it with "ignorance" or "no malicious intent" with posts like these:

I agree I don't think there was any racial Mal intent and it was all fun between them both but the public will make it into something there Is not.
but this isn't the first time he makes these so called "jokes", i mean, he's surely aware of the racial connotations as they are the basis for/crux of his "jokes", i.e:

"b-b-but Mendy is ok with it"

1. Mendy is his team-mate.
2. These "jokes" with racial connotations have the potential to not only impact Mendy.

I like him as a player, but the guy is coming off as grade a dickhead. If an effort is being made to kick racist feckery out of the game, then shit like this cannot be allowed to slide.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That video clip. Jeez...

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Meh, everythings considered racism these days. As a man of colour, I've had friends make similar jokes. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Personally. The original joke, that is - yet to watch the video.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
made this idiotic post:

when people tell him these jokes are not the move. he reacts like this:

now, I see people trying to defend it with "ignorance" or "no malicious intent" with posts like these:

but this isn't the first time he makes these so called "jokes", i mean, he's surely aware of the racial connotations as they are the basis for/crux of his "jokes", i.e:

"b-b-but Mendy is ok with it"

1. Mendy is his team-mate.
2. These "jokes" with racial connotations have the potential to not only impact Mendy.

I like him as a player, but the guy is coming off as grade a dickhead. If an effort is being made to kick racist feckery out of the game, then shit like this cannot be allowed to slide.
Like I said because of his fame he should know better and he should have known there was going to be backlash. In terms of the actually banter itself between two friends I think it was absolute banter that people perceived as racist. I have a buddy who is pale as snow and we call him casper and it has become his nickname now.

Once again in the context of who he is as a famous footballer he is a fecking idiot and he should not be surprised of the backlash but the banter was harmless between two mates.

SportingCP96

Supports
I can't make it out, what's the video saying?
Mendy had a black shirt so since the shirt is the same color as his skin Bernardo Silva was saying Mendy was "naked".

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Alright that video kills any benefit of doubt I have for him. Sort out this shit, Silva. It's not hurtful but players should be educated about these things.

SportingCP96

Supports
Alright that video kills any benefit of doubt I have for him. Sort out this shit, Silva. It's not hurtful but players should be educated about these things.
I don't think he understands the influence he actually has just yet.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
It's just a joke. People are offended so easily these days. Bubblewrap society.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
It's pretty hard to claim it was a private jokes between friends when you do it publicly on SN. If you want to make a private joke without being judged for its potential public consequences, do it privately, it's not that hard to understand.

youmeletsfly

So you can joke around with your friends on twitter but Silva can't?

Jesus people are pussies these days.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
It's just a joke. People are offended so easily these days. Bubblewrap society.
If you’re gonna “joke” do it among your friends. Posting anything on social media is in the public space which opens you up to any form of criticism, Bernardo should know better :houllier::nono:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It seems quite likely that Silva is a stupid person and, like a lot of stupid people, still hasn't figured out how social media works.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
It seems quite likely that Silva is a stupid person and, like a lot of stupid people, still hasn't figured out how social media works.
Guy speaks like 5 languages. Seems he can probably differentiate between posting something and not posting it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Guy speaks like 5 languages. Seems he can probably differentiate between posting something and not posting it.
And yet here we are.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that posting that picture on twitter will get you criticised so either he's randomly done it deliberately for some reason or he is a bit of an idiot who somehow hasn't grasped what is/isn't appropriate to post in public.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Even if he think it's fine, it's really fecking dumb not to foresee it.

I know football isn't a real job, but can you imagine doing either of those things anywhere else?

mancan92

That is some ridiculous stuff he just posted. You have to be some sort of idiot especially with soo much talk of racism in football the last few months.

I've had friends make certain jokes and I've called them up on it. It's not acceptable. It is racism anyone denying is likely a racist.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Stupid to do any inside racial jokes on social media.

Schneckerl

Bernardo knew that this would generate a backlash and tweeted to attention whore.

dbs235

Saying Mendy resembles that character is hardly racist. The video is bad though.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Here comes all the people outraged because they don't have anything else to do
...closely followed by all the people downplaying racism because they're bored of it being discussed.

Kostur

海尔的老板
He deserves whatever the punishment he gets purely on the fact of being an idiot and bringing this type of shit public to twitter with all the racism discussion happening for the past couple of months. You genuinely have to be a moron.

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
If your bored of people pushing against racism then just stay out of the way whilst people who are affected by it day to day fight for a better world.
I'm sure the people that suffer from racism everyday are really worried about an internal joke of two friends. I see you have all your priorities completely right

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I'm sure the people that suffer from racism everyday are really worried about an internal joke of two friends. I see you have all your priorities completely right
It wasn't an internal joke, he posted it on twitter. Trivialising racism when it's back at the forefront of football.

Let's see how serious the FA are. Season ban.

Status
Not open for further replies.