What is up with Bernardo Silva?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fergies coat

Normalizing jokes about black people looking comical, which were once used to subject them into suffering, is completely racist.

Imagine if black players started making jokes of deceased people of Portuguese civil war, or of British soliders in WW2. That is the only way you can make these stupid europeans start thinking with some perspective. (The ones who don't think the Monkey chants are serious, or these tweets are problematic)
Is this not racist?

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
Normalizing jokes about black people looking comical, which were once used to subject them into suffering, is completely racist.

Imagine if black players started making jokes of deceased people of Portuguese civil war, or of British soliders in WW2. That is the only way you can make these stupid europeans start thinking with some perspective. (The ones who don't think the Monkey chants are serious, or these tweets are problematic)
Please, do you have any joke about the portuguese? I need a laugh. thanks

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I'm terrible with faces and facial features in general, but am making a conscious effort to look at these and is there any simmilarity between them besides the skin colour and both being a child?

Mendy has a big forehead, small eyes, big nose, thin lips... The cartoon is the other way around in all these main features. Do you all agree? Genuine question as I'm terrible with faces and don't know if I'm seing things to suit my argument.

Sounds so much with the "they all look the same" thing, which would be offensive enough on it's own even without the negative history of the cartoon itself. In that alone it's miles off the comparisons between De Bruyne and Tintin, even if the historical power dynamics weren't enough to ditch that comparison.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
What I would say to that is racism isn't something that is dead and gone and doesn't exist. I experience it everyday from a old woman who decides to move seats when Im near to being in a boardroom carrying out a presentation whilst a room of old white men ignore me and ask my white colleague questions.
I don't think anyone is trying to say that racism doesn't exist anymore - I certainly wasn't trying to suggest that. I think however, that in order to move towards a fair society where everyone is treated equally, there cant be double standards in what is considered acceptable treatment of someone. I think the vast majority of institutionalized racism such as you are describing is a generational thing. That is absolutely not me defending it and not saying "you'll just have to ride it out" but my view is that the children growing up today are not racist. Obviously that doesn't help that much in the here and now, but I think when we talk about what sort of messages we want to send to the younger generations, you have to be equally careful not to taint their views and create unconscious bias from historical matters.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you bring up a child and keep reinforcing the notion that their family and ancestors have always been oppressed and abused, you are already creating this "them against us" mentality and sowing division. It is important to know where you come from, but I think it is also important that we are not subconsciously creating divisions between our children by painting certain races essentially as historical enemies. And then we can [hopefully] see a fairer and more egalitarian society for the next generations.

Smashin

Supports
Sporting CP
I can also help educate you on this phenomenon in the black community called anti-blackness which has caused many black people to bleach themselves to death. Or why in many african countries people of lighter skin tones are seen as more beautiful.
I appreciate the offer but it was Mendy that joked about it, not me.

That's an extreme example and sadly if a person isn't mentally stable there is an endless list of things that can cause issues like that.
The grass is always greener on the other side.

Making it a taboo does not make it better, imo.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I wouldn't give a flying feck. But so nice of you to say that all of us Europeans are stupid fecks. It's not like there are tens of different nations, ethnicities around the continent.
He didn't actually imply all Europeans were stupid.

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal

The post we really needed. That's how normal the "conguito" joke runs around in portugal, I understand people that don't like to be referred by that term, i dont understand people being outraged and demanding something.

The translation is "Bernardo Silva we are together". This is a portuguese radio host

DoomSlayer

He didn't actually imply all Europeans were stupid.
Yeah but the whole undertone of the comment made it obvious. "Feck the stupid white Europeans", as if we all share the same history and have committed similar atrocious acts throughout history. It's one of the things that pisses me off about the EU, as it puts the whole continent together and tries to guilt trip loads of nations that have nothing to do with the inhumane imperialist and colonialist European hegemons.

A lot of us have suffered by the same hands yet nowadays we get put together in the "evil whitey" category.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I hate all the faux offence you get these days, but it's pretty obvious any pro footballer with half a brain should avoid anything even remotely like this on their social platforms.

You wonder why some of them bother, once you mix in the tippy toing that needs to be done, and the flood of abuse off drones.

mu4c_20le

The post we really needed. That's how normal the "conguito" joke runs around in portugal, I understand people that don't like to be referred by that term, i dont understand people being outraged and demanding something.

The translation is "Bernardo Silva we are together". This is a portuguese radio host
I dont think there is any issue with that word, in fact i dont think most people outside of portugal even heard of it.

SiRed

I can't repeat this enough on here. No one is claiming him to be racist. No one is saying he dislikes anyone based on their skin colour. What do you mean if anyone is upset about it. There are people who are upset about it. People of colour are more emboldened these days to speak out when we feel wrong, not suffer in silence and just accept it, like things in the 60s in the 70s. I guess this is the period the likes of you wanna hark back to.
yeah, that would be great, people were generally happier back then.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah but the whole undertone of the comment made it obvious. "Feck the stupid white Europeans", as if we all share the same history and have committed similar atrocious acts throughout history. It's one of the things that pisses me off about the EU, as it puts the whole continent together and tries to guilt trip loads of nations that have nothing to do with the inhumane imperialist and colonialist European hegemons.

A lot of us have suffered by the same hands yet nowadays we get put together in the "evil whitey" category.
No he didnt, he literally said "(The ones who don't think the Monkey chants are serious, or these tweets are problematic)". While calling people with differing views stupid is not very classy or clever, it clearly shows he has issues with people making certain assumptions or with certain viewpoints, not based on their race.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Whats to stop some 12 year old from seeing that and sending it to a 12 year black kid in his class with the pictures swapped? When said black kids parents get upset and complain about the abuse their kid received and the sending kid gets in trouble where does the blame lie? You've got two kids hurt, one racially abused for nothing other than a joke and one in hot water for racially abusing someone (when he might not understand the implications of what he sent) because his hero did the same. Youve got two parents hurt their child was racially abused.
I think this is an interesting discussion point (although I am conscious of going off topic) which ties into my previous post (talking about the world we want to bring our children up in etc). I would like to preface it by saying that I agree that Silva shouldn't have posted what he did on social media. I think that an argument can be made that if these hypothetical children are able to share jokes at each others expense, with no offense intended or taken, then that isnt the worst thing in the world. We should be careful to what extent we teach our children about the lifetimes of injustice and wrongdoings that have plagued mankind.

To put it another way, if you brought up two otherwise identical children of different skin colour, you never taught them about a history of one being abused by the other, you never give them any reason to think that they are any different, what is the result? I would argue that the result is probably that they consider themselves entirely equal. The difference in skin colour is just as cosmetic as any other physical difference.

I'm not saying that we should just stop teaching history, I just think that sometimes you just have to ask yourself whether you are doing more harm than good by introducing children to some of these concepts.

DoomSlayer

No he didnt, he literally said "(The ones who don't think the Monkey chants are serious, or these tweets are problematic)". While calling people with differing views stupid is not very classy or clever, it clearly shows he has issues with people making certain assumptions or with certain viewpoints, not based on their race.
Could have just said people, but had to put in "stupid europeans" to make a point. I have to be honest, this is a big problem I have when talking about racism issues. Most of the time all white people are put in the same basket when it comes to it, which shows horrific lack of historical knowledge.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I'm terrible with faces and facial features in general, but am making a conscious effort to look at these and is there any simmilarity between them besides the skin colour and both being a child?

Mendy has a big forehead, small eyes, big nose, thin lips... The cartoon is the other way around in all these main features. Do you all agree? Genuine question as I'm terrible with faces and don't know if I'm seing things to suit my argument.

Sounds so much with the "they all look the same" thing, which would be offensive enough on it's own even without the negative history of the cartoon itself. In that alone it's miles off the comparisons between De Bruyne and Tintin, even if the historical power dynamics weren't enough to ditch that comparison.
Whether they look the same is irrelevant and not the topic under discussion. If you’re struggling to find an similarity and that way vilify Silva then there are some problems here.

Anybody who can’t see the cartoon as offensive and that a direct comparison will be made with black people needs their head examined.
It shouldn’t matter a flying feck if the 2 of them are ‘mates.’ It’s clear and obvious that Silva can’t look past his ‘mate’s’ skin colour so think it’s ok to make that joke public. What, does he now think that idiots out there won’t take that joke and use it against Mendy and other people of colour?
He’s a bloody fool

SiRed

Why are the times damning? It's historically the best time to be alive. If someone is offended by something you said or did, wouldn't it just be easier to say that you're genuinely sorry and all of us can move on? Stupidity isn't worthy of a debate. In this case my very subjective view is that B. Silva was being stupid and then doubled down instead of apologizing.
Times are damming because people are not allowed to have an opinion without being labelled by some silly term. And apparently this is the country of freedom.
I was labelled one of those silly terms at work once for suggesting a transgender who believes they were trapped in the wrong body perhaps should have been diagnosed with a mental illness as oppose to sex change.
Does this mean i am trans-phobic? i would say not, i don't dislike the people doing it to themselves but thats not to say i think its a good thing for the human race as a whole.
Where does it end?

And i question your statement of its the best time to be alive. We live in world where image and opinions of others matter so much to many. Where i could walk past a friend in the street and be none the wiser as we both had our head in our phones, refreshing twitter or what have you.
Where a smoking ban has ruined the atmosphere in what few pubs are still open (Im not a smoker but enjoyed the togetherness of a good ol knees up)
Where you can make a joke without checking over your shoulder first.
A world where literally everyone has been hypnotized by media, TV and national curriculum to have the same goal, to not question common morals, to not ask why, to accept and to be quiet.

Anyway - i have gone way off topic. Your right, it would be easier to say sorry, but what if he feels he has done nothing wrong. Should he still apologise?

mu4c_20le

Times are damming because people are not allowed to have an opinion without being labelled by some silly term. And apparently this is the country of freedom.
I was labelled one of those silly terms at work once for suggesting a transgender who believes they were trapped in the wrong body perhaps should have been diagnosed with a mental illness as oppose to sex change.
Rightfully so. Didn't realize you were one of those.

redshaw

Why not make white people look comical or makes jokes about their appearance too then? Why start saying lets start making jokes about British dead soldiers trying to stop Hitler for crying out loud? You're well off the mark here.

Inigo Montoya

Does this mean i am trans-phobic? i would say not, i don't dislike the people doing it to themselves but thats not to say i think its a good thing for the human race as a whole.
Where does it end?

And i question your statement of its the best time to be alive. We live in world where image and opinions of others matter so much to many. Where i could walk past a friend in the street and be none the wiser as we both had our head in our phones, refreshing twitter or what have you.
Where a smoking ban has ruined the atmosphere in what few pubs are still open (Im not a smoker but enjoyed the togetherness of a good ol knees up)
A world where literally everyone has been hypnotized by media, TV and national curriculum to have the same goal, to not question common morals, to not ask why, to accept and to be quiet.

Anyway - i have gone way off topic. Your right, it would be easier to say sorry, but what if he feels he has done nothing wrong. Should he still apologise?
Basically you're whining about it because you suggested that someone who is conflicted about gender might be 'mentally ill'and you see that as PC gone mad?

If you have to check over your shoulder before you tell a joke then maybe,that joke was just inappropriate

Inigo Montoya

Why not make white people look comical or makes jokes about their appearance too then? Why start saying lets start making jokes about British dead soldiers trying to stop Hitler for crying out loud? You're well off the mark here.
I don't know what point you're trying to make but when I was a kid it was considered OK and funny to make those jokes

SiRed

Basically you're whining about it because you suggested that someone who is conflicted about gender might be 'mentally ill'and you see that as PC gone mad?

If you have to check over your shoulder before you tell a joke then maybe,that joke was just inappropriate

Not really. Just people can be oversensitive.

Do you think Frankie Boyle really believes half the jokes he says about Kaite Price's Son and stuff? Absolutely not. Its a joke and should be treated as such.

mancan92

I appreciate the offer but it was Mendy that joked about it, not me.

That's an extreme example and sadly if a person isn't mentally stable there is an endless list of things that can cause issues like that.
The grass is always greener on the other side.

Making it a taboo does not make it better, imo.
It's got nothing to do with these people being mentally stable it's been literally and subliminally beaten into their heads that white is better so the close to whiteness the better you are. That's why many black people even hate their own skin colour and try to get light as possible.

mancan92

And I could bring 100 other twitter posts from black people calling him out.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Whether they look the same is irrelevant and not the topic under discussion.
I know it's not the topic under discussion as I've been posting here since the thread was created. It was a tangent, which are bound to appear in a 10+ pages thread.

And to me it isn't irrelevant. It's minor, but still a curiosity.

Inigo Montoya

Not really. Just people can be oversensitive.

Do you think Frankie Boyle really believes half the jokes he says about Kaite Price's Son and stuff? Absolutely not. Its a joke and should be treated as such.
Frankie Boyle is very funny comedian who doesn't need to go down that route to get cheap laughs from bell-ends who then think it's ok make fun of disabled kids. There's a world of difference between de constructive comedy and hurtful,racist comments

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Close the thread lads, some Portuguese radio host said he wasn’t racist

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
It's got nothing to do with these people being mentally stable it's been literally and subliminally beaten into their heads that white is better so the close to whiteness the better you are. That's why many black people even hate their own skin colour and try to get light as possible.
To pick up on this - this sort of ties into my point about education. You “beat it into people” from an early age and it essentially propagates the problem, even if you are only trying to educate them about their history etc

SiRed

Rightfully so. Didn't realize you were one of those.
Please explain why?
Is it because i merely suggested a mental illness? Because i stand by the belief that it should not be ruled out and is a lot more plausible than any reasoning behind 'being trapped in the wrong body'

Maybe in the future it will be fashionable for fat middle aged men like myself to claim to be trapped in the wrong body. In my head i am Ronaldo, i feel like Ronaldo but look like Eammon Holmes.
You will dismiss this i am sure, but once upon a time someone dismissed someones claim that they are male but female inside.

Sara125

We will never move forward if people always bring up the past. You can not have double standards on racism.

I remember when Bernard Hopkins said to Joe Calzaghe he would never let a white boy beat him. It was swept under the carpet.

Every race at one time or another has face hardships, obviously some more than others. We cannot have double standards on racism.
Um, no. We will never move forward if people keep doing/saying racist things.

mu4c_20le

Please explain why?
Is it because i merely suggested a mental illness? Because i stand by the belief that it should not be ruled out and is a lot more plausible than any reasoning behind 'being trapped in the wrong body'

Maybe in the future it will be fashionable for fat middle aged men like myself to claim to be trapped in the wrong body. In my head i am Ronaldo, i feel like Ronaldo but look like Eammon Holmes.
You will dismiss this i am sure, but once upon a time someone dismissed someones claim that they are male but female inside.
Because you aren't a medical professional, if its your personal opinion then fair enough, but as soon as you make those views public (at the workplace), then you should be prepared to be challenged or labelled. It's offensive, plain and simple. Not too long ago, society thought homosexuality was a mental illness, and some still do.

Inigo Montoya

I know it's not the topic under discussion as I've been posting here since the thread was created. It was a tangent, which are bound to appear in a 10+ pages thread.

And to me it isn't irrelevant. It's minor, but still a curiosity.
The next time someone makes monkey references to Pogba or Rashford,I'll look forward to your post saying." I've looked at them closely and I can't see a monkey comparison,therefore it's harmless."
I rest my case.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Where does it end?

You sound like an arsehole.

I don't feel like I've done anything wrong in pointing this out so I'm not going to apologise.

SiRed

Frankie Boyle is very funny comedian who doesn't need to go down that route to get cheap laughs from bell-ends who then think it's ok make fun of disabled kids. There's a world of difference between de constructive comedy and hurtful,racist comments
Im confused, are you saying Frankie Boyle does not make fun of disabled kids. His whole acts are based on jokes that verge on disgusting. A lot of people hate him for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.