What kind of hamstring injury does Luke Shaw have?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
My understanding is that the ones that take months require surgery. That’s for a complete tear. Like Dembele had. Shaw hasn’t gone under the knife according to any reports. Yet we’ve not even seen him in training. He was also mentioned as being back about a month ago if I recall.
It depends on the specifics of the injury, the main option is rest.

Andersons Dietician

@Rozay surgery is always a last option. If something can heal just by rest and physio then that is first protocol. If he had torn the muscle from the bone then it would be straight in to Surgery but if you remember he had a hamstring issue in pre- season. He pulled up in a game, and I think he was out the following game but back the game after.

Having had hamstring issues that to me looks like they rushed him back before it was fully healed.

Hamstrings are a nightmare because as I said earlier from my own experience you can feel good and like you’re ready to go and then 1 sprint and it goes again. Another 2-3 months on the shelf. Rather they made sure he was good to go than throw him back in just for it to go again and us loose him for another 3 months.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
That is weird comment. Do you know how much determination does it take to become a footballer?

He worked his arse off all his life to become a premier division player. Why doubt his determination?
You're saying no footballer ever has been a bit lazy, just by way of them being a professional footballer?
You're putting them on a pedestal they don't belong on. They're just regular people, not some superhuman mega determined machines.

I'm not saying this is definitely the case, I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me, considering his history.

Last edited:

TheRedHearted

It was always questionable to target AWB due to his poor attacking ability. It was almost a lazy decision to make, without really looking at the detail and how exactly he will effect the team.
i would demand he lose weight before returning. The weight around the core and extra weight around the body will bring extra trauma to his joins and alignment to his spine. The weak core or core with extra weight on the body does just that

LoneStar

What kind of injury does Shaw have? The one where you need to ship him out. Tired of his injuries, it’s quite clear he can’t stay fit for the whole season. Only going to get worse with age and more injuries.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Please keep this thread on-topic and don't speculate about other things.
Was gonna say! Some scurrilous posts based on utterly balls "My mate's mate's mate told me" nonsense before removal!

Irwin99

We still need a left back but let's be honest, we don't actually miss him all that much. I don't think he elevates the team to another level when he comes into the side. Williams has been impressive and Young generally plays a bit better at left back rather than right back.

Scholsey2004

Hopefully Brandon Williams continues to develop the way he has been and Shaw will drop to back-up like Jones has at centre half.

Meep

i would demand he lose weight before returning. The weight around the core and extra weight around the body will bring extra trauma to his joins and alignment to his spine. The weak core or core with extra weight on the body does just that
True that! I think he better realise this before his looking back at a career only filled with injuries and rehab. Would be sad really cause I think he can be great if he just has the ability to get in a proper shape, and by that I mean leaner than he has looked lately.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
You don't say? Woodward and Judge strike again :lol::lol::lol:
It was about this time last season, I thought it looked a poor decision at the time cause I didn't think he was actually playing that well, we were just so astounded he managed to stay fit for more than 2 matches.

Bwuk

He's only ever had one season where he stayed fit and even then he only made 29 appearances in the league.

He can't be relied upon. His quality is debatable too.

Judas

Open to offers
The idea of Shaw is a lot better than the reality. Don’t like giving too much early praise for youngsters, but Williams looks very promising, and already arguably more of an attacking threat than Shaw.

Steven-UK

Shaw needs to go, not great when he plays, which isn't often. A bit like Phil Jones and the other wasters absolutely stealing a living.

Djemba-Djemba

He's only ever had one season where he stayed fit and even then he only made 29 appearances in the league.

He can't be relied upon. His quality is debatable too.
He's almost always injured or unfit.

And then when he's not he's what? Decent? Slightly above average?

He's been lucky we've been such a mess and had so many other pressing issues that he's managed to sort of go under the radar. If we were a settled club he'd be in trouble. I'd get rid of him if I was manager, he is totally unreliable.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
This is an important issue here! Ham is vital for some of us! Is it York Ham, Prosciutto, dry-cured or Jámon? We need answers now!

Hughes35

That is weird comment. Do you know how much determination does it take to become a footballer?

He worked his arse off all his life to become a premier division player. Why doubt his determination?
Just not always the case. Some players have got to the PL through hard work and determination but not all of them. I remember an interview with a Tottenham player (Can't remember who with) and they said that Benoît Assou-Ekotto just didn't care. Said he had no idea who they were playing at the weekend, didn't train well etc but he was just good at football.

I get a similar impression of Hazard to be honest. Just incredibly gifted and good at football. The true talents don't have to try that hard. It's not a big stretch that Luke shaw has never had to work hard. He was playing in the Premier League at the age of just 16 for Southampton and doing well. I can easily imagine that he has never really been tested at youth levels or had to work that hard to stand out as a kid.

All speculation of course as I presume none of us know him personally.

el3mel

He's not worth all this efforts and time. He's injured more often than not and even while fit his performance is average best. Terrible offensively and average defensively. Not worth the hassle. We should give Williams chances ahead of him. Looking forward to Williams developing more than Shaw's proven mediocrity.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Hopefully Brandon Williams continues to develop the way he has been and Shaw will drop to back-up like Jones has at centre half.
We both know that Shaw will slot straight back in as soon as he's fit and that will be the end of Williams.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
The idea of Shaw is a lot better than the reality. Don’t like giving too much early praise for youngsters, but Williams looks very promising, and already arguably more of an attacking threat than Shaw.
This is vital really if we assume AWB is the answer at right back, we need a left back that will hurt other teams in attack. Luke Shaw is not that man, has no interest or is fit to make the penetrative runs you see from a Robertson/Chilwell

Davìd Moyéz

He was player of the season last year. Saddens me to see comments about him being completely useless and 'he should retire' less than a third of a season after being voted our best player.

Seemed to have turned a corner with his fitness last year and I'm sure nobody is more frustrated by the setback than him.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I feel bad for him, but he should just retire honestly and i see no point in us waiting for him to get back, because he will just get injured again in a couple of months
That's a tad dramatic no :lol: ?

I don't like some of the posts that are basically blaming Shaw for being injured and injury prone. Like somehow this is fault when we don't have much information in reality.
Some players are just more fragile than others

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I do get the feeling that Shaw's days are numbered under Solskjaer.
I think Solskjaer will look to improve that LB position although there are other areas that are in even greater need of an upgrade.

ExecutionerWasp001

He's not going anywhere for a while. He's on big money on a long contract. I don't think he's the kind of player desperate to play every game. He'd be quite happy playing a 30 game season (all competitions) The injury has ruined him as a top class attacking FB. I don't think he's been that good in defence either though.

Gator Nate

@Rozay surgery is always a last option. If something can heal just by rest and physio then that is first protocol. If he had torn the muscle from the bone then it would be straight in to Surgery but if you remember he had a hamstring issue in pre- season. He pulled up in a game, and I think he was out the following game but back the game after.

Having had hamstring issues that to me looks like they rushed him back before it was fully healed.

Hamstrings are a nightmare because as I said earlier from my own experience you can feel good and like you’re ready to go and then 1 sprint and it goes again. Another 2-3 months on the shelf. Rather they made sure he was good to go than throw him back in just for it to go again and us loose him for another 3 months.
x10. This is always a possible issue. Didn't he have some hamstring issues last spring, too?

Someone brought up yoga, and it's not a bad idea for a lot of athletes. Too many athletes will try to get by with as little proper warm-up and stretching as possible. (note: I have extensive amateur-level experience in this as a track and field coach for nearly 15 years.) I really worry that the club isn't doing its best in this area and that's the root of many of the issues we're having. Won't prevent an ACL or high ankle sprain, but a lot of things can be prevented with proper pre-participation prep and it all begins with proper mentality towards it on the practice fields.

Andersons Dietician

x10. This is always a possible issue. Didn't he have some hamstring issues last spring, too?

Someone brought up yoga, and it's not a bad idea for a lot of athletes. Too many athletes will try to get by with as little proper warm-up and stretching as possible. (note: I have extensive amateur-level experience in this as a track and field coach for nearly 15 years.) I really worry that the club isn't doing its best in this area and that's the root of many of the issues we're having. Won't prevent an ACL or high ankle sprain, but a lot of things can be prevented with proper pre-participation prep and it all begins with proper mentality towards it on the practice fields.
I think it was me that mentioned Yoga earlier as Ryan Giggs had lots of hamstring injuries and credits taking up Yoga as a reason for not having the same issues occurring.

Myself I had an issue with activating my glute therefore when I was sprinting it was all hamstring and quad which led to many imbalances which then meant constant injuries. Didn’t help I was probably overtraining as well.

I was pretty meticulous with a good warm up, I just felt I performed a lot better having done a good warm up.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I rate Shaw. He is really excellent defensive full back and i have faith in him in defence. I have issues with his attacking play but it is for another topic.
But i think that we should replace him on summer. First of all, we can't have defensive full back on both flanks. One full back must be good attacking weapon.
And second which is related with this thread; having first 11 player who is injury prone like Shaw is not good. I am sorry, but if you can't stay fit and if you will miss 30% games( plus time to get in form again after every injury) is not good for team. Even if you are world class player.

andy dufresne

Luke Shaw has had his chance to shine at United in my opinion and he has not taken it,sure I do appreciate he has had a lot of injuries however for me he simply cannot defend and never has been able to.His positional play is terrible and he,sadly,has just not kicked on from his Southampton days when I grant you,he did look like he was going to be a very good full back.The emergence of Williams has been a nice surprise and whilst I am not advocating at this stage that he is going to be a Denis Irwin or Patrice Evra,the lad does look a fine prospect.Sell Shaw when we can and take a loss if need be because he is never going to be the level that we need,going forward

tomaldinho1

He's got genuine competition for once it seems in the kid Williams so let's see how he responds. Shaw himself is still quite young and just needs to properly recover - no one is going to pay silly money for him so let's get him back in the squad and have him and Williams pushing each other on

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Completely agree with you on that. As we all know:
Force = Mass X Acceleration.
To reduce the force on his leg muscles, in particular the hamstrings he has to reduce his mass or accelerate more slowly.
Clearly the latter is not an option.