What kind of hamstring injury does Luke Shaw have?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Or maybe it was his groin but whatever. If he wasn’t Luke Shaw I’d be tempted to ask whether he’s played his last game for the club ;)

But seriously, he’s been out for nearly 3 months now. His conditioning really is terrible, doesn’t seem a natural athlete to me. His fitness woes added to the fact that he’s not all that when fit really does make his position a concern for us. Brandon Williams couldn’t be coming through at a better time.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It's ham on a piece of string.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's ham on a piece of string.
:lol:

Injuries of Martial, Pogba and Shaw have been very strange. Have I missed something or we've not got specific timelines of any of them (I know martial is back now)?

Raw

It's bizarre, it didn't even look that serious? It's like Pogba too, just gone for weeks and weeks.

ManuMou

Bailly is another mystery too. He doesn’t play yet is out for months/years. Can’t really remember.

Sanchez kept himself injured while getting free money 300k on a weekly basis.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It's bizarre, it didn't even look that serious? It's like Pogba too, just gone for weeks and weeks.
Pogba’s is even a little different as the official line is ‘ankle injury’, and he’s been on crutches/cast - that could mean anything.

But hamstring injuries are what they are. We are familiar enough with them. Shaw should be back by now, at least back in full training.

dove

Bailly is another mystery too. He doesn’t play yet is out for months/years. Can’t really remember.

Not that it's a bad thing. The further he is away from playing games for us the better.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Bailly did his ACL in pre-season, there’s no real mystery there, he should not have recovered by now. Feck knows how Shaw’s hamstring injury is keeping him out for almost 3 months, with no word on his return.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Got to wonder if their recovery is supervised correctly, and how well we're monitoring if they're ready to come back.

Shoot me for saying this, but Shaw doesn't exactly seem the type that would be raring to work hard again.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Bailly wasn’t mystery, it was really bad injury. It happened during pre season game against Spurs.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Depends on whether it's a tear or a strain, and if it is a tear, what grade of tear it is. Was he operated on?

Cloud7

I like Shaw, but I think it might be high time that we begin aiming to move on from him.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Feels weird that he hasn't picked up a reputation for this yet. Not that it's an indictment of him as a player but he's had a lot of injury problems.

Yes I know he had that ghastly leg break but he's been prone to a lot of niggling issues, too. He's only played over 20 games in one of his 5 (going on 6) seasons here...

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I'm sure Shaw was back in training like two weeks ago.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
One thing for sure is we should be getting rid of him and getting somebody else more reliable.

Williams will have his spot soon anyway if he keeps performing like he did at Chelsea

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
One thing for sure is we should be getting rid of him and getting somebody else more reliable.

Williams will have his spot soon anyway if he keeps performing like he did at Chelsea
Perhaps the plan is to let Williams take over from Shaw.

Kostov

It should be his last, when he is back he will fight for his career here. Anything less than a good season and he should be fecked off.

CallyRed

Think he is involved in the revival of man v food tv series

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Luke Shaw is a fecking travesty, stayed fit for long enough to earn a new deal and promptly got injured right afterwards.

buckooo1978

I think it's time we get rid of these kind of players

if they arent able to perform at an acceptable level without getting regularly injured then they are no good to us

Shaw, Bailly, Jones, Matic, Sanchez and Young should all be the next players out the door

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Depends on whether it's a tear or a strain, and if it is a tear, what grade of tear it is. Was he operated on?
Basically, a complete tear can see an athlete out for several months. I didn't realize that until I started paying close attention to injuries in the NFL and Rugby, it's common for a player to be out 2 or 3 months due to an hamstring injury.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Basically, a complete tear can see an athlete out for several months. I didn't realize that until I started paying close attention to injuries in the NFL and Rugby, it's common for a player to be out 2 or 3 months due to an hamstring injury.
One of the worst injuries I've ever had was a serious tear of the hamstring - the type where you hear it going "plung!" and feel something, unholy, pop in your leg. That didn't heal for about 3 months, and even then, it took me another 2-3 to have confidence in it.

Haven't paid attention to Shaw or what happened to him, but if it's anything like that, he's got to be 100% before coming back, and, given his history with serious injuries, I wouldn't be surprised if he's apprehensive to try and go into full-burst sprints even when given the all clear to do so.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
One of the worst injuries I've ever had was a serious tear of the hamstring - the type where you hear it going "plung!" and feel something, unholy, pop in your leg. That didn't heel for about 3 months, and even then, it took me another 2-3 to have confidence in it.

Haven't paid attention to Shaw or what happened to him, but if it's anything like that, he's got to be 100% before coming back, and, given his history with serious injuries, I wouldn't be surprised if he's apprehensive to try and go into full-burst sprints even when given the all clear to do so.
I’ve heard nothing about him requiring surgery, and by initial reports, he was expected back after the last international break. Now the next one is here and no sign of him.

The Dodfather

To be fair hamstrings can be a nightmare. I've pulled mine a few times and the initial recovery in the first few weeks can be really fast then it takes an age to get back to 100%. Plus you can start overcompensating with other muscles which can lead to tension in your adductors and glutes, causing other potential issues. That's how it went for me at least.

Reactions: 711

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
The issue with replacing him is we recently gave him a huge new contract so getting rid of him will be an issue.
He's on £195k a week for 4 more years so good luck trying to move him on if he doesn't get over his injury troubles.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You think of a bad hamstring injury as being a 6-8 weeks job.
So Shaw's must be one of the worst seen.

It's not kind to say it, but left back should certainly be right up there in positions needing sorting.
Shaw might get away with it as we need such work elsewhere.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I rate Shaw very highly as a defensive fullback, but i do question the squad planning, considering we've just signed another defensive fullback in AWB too.

Succesful teams with defensive managers in the past usually only needed the 1 defensive full-back. For us to now have 2 especially on big wages is strange.

If Shaw can't get over his injury problems, we're going to be stuck with him until his contract runs out, which is 4 more years at £195k until he moves on, on a free.

We literally can do nothing but hope he gets over his injury troubles.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I rate Shaw very highly as a defensive fullback, but i do question the squad planning, considering we've just signed another defensive fullback in AWB too.

Succesful teams with defensive managers in the past usually only needed the 1 defensive full-back. For us to now have 2 especially on big wages is strange.

If Shaw can't get over his injury problems, we're going to be stuck with him until his contract runs out, which is 4 more years at £195k until he moves on, on a free.

It was always questionable to target AWB due to his poor attacking ability. It was almost a lazy decision to make, without really looking at the detail and how exactly he will effect the team.

Acole9

Outstanding
I think he's finished here, need to start looking for a new left back in the summer.

buckooo1978

what's that based on?

he's a competent player defensively - nothing special about him as a player.

Contrast him defensively with AWB for example - he's nowhere near as effective as him