What kind of hamstring injury does Luke Shaw have?

Razwy

In him and Dalot we have 2 fullbacks that can't stay fit more than 3 games in a row...We'll need to replace them.While Dalot is younger and can be sold or used as a 3rd choice, with Shaw it is going to be more difficult because of his contract, but they can't be trusted. Same thing for Bailly, Jones, Rojo and even Martial( but at least he's very good and it is worth it). We need to learn how to buy players that are not injury prone because ,for most of them, this thing is obvious before we buy them and they don't ,suddenly, become like that after they come to us...

alexthelion

The idea of Shaw is a lot better than the reality. Don’t like giving too much early praise for youngsters, but Williams looks very promising, and already arguably more of an attacking threat than Shaw.
When Shaw first came through at Southampton he was very fast and attacking. Huis bad leg injury has really affected him for the worst.

Alemar

The problem with Luke Shaw is that Aaron Wan-Bissaka is a better defender, and one defensive full-back is more than enough in the starting XI.

Brandon Williams looks a much more attack-minded player

Dve

Bailly wasn’t mystery, it was really bad injury. It happened during pre season game against Spurs.
The mystery is how he managed to injury himself, with no other players near him. He pretty much just fell over, injured. I think he has a special talent there, he should try making it a living.

USREDEVIL

Poor guy. Wants to be a top LB but his regular injuries keep him from getting to the top of whatever level he can be at. I imagine that if this continues as is, he could find himself the Phil Jones of LB position with Williams coming into his own.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
The problem with Luke Shaw is that Aaron Wan-Bissaka is a better defender, and one defensive full-back is more than enough in the starting XI.

I absolutely love Wan-Bissaka but Luke Shaw is much better attacking than him. He has a better passing range. When he was fit last season, he developed a good understanding down the left with Pogba & Martial. They formed an effective attacking trio, dragging opposition units out of position many times.

One example of what he's capable of, from last season:

People have short memories it seems. Brandon Williams has done well so far, but really?

Last edited:

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I absolutely love Wan-Bissaka but Luke Shaw is much better attacking than him. He has a better passing range. When he was fit last season, he developed a good understanding down the left with Pogba & Martial. They formed an effective attacking trio, dragging opposition units out of position many times.

This is just one example of what hes capable of, from last season:

People have short memories it seems. Brandon Williams has done well so far, but really?
Oh come on. You're hardly putting that forward as a representative clip of Luke? We've been watching him, admittedly on and off for a long time now. I'm not going looking up his assist record but underwhelming is not the word. You can't blame people for being excited about Williams. Luke's position is under threat and not before time.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Oh come on. You're hardly putting that forward as a representative clip of Luke? We've been watching him, admittedly on and off for a long time now. I'm not going looking up his assist record but underwhelming is not the word. You can't blame people for being excited about Williams. Luke's position is under threat and not before time.
That was a special assist which many defenders definitely aren't capable of, unless they have some talent going forward.

I agree his assist record could be better but looking at it, he had a bad injury, then went through an extremely tough period under Mourinho where he was constantly criticised and overlooked in favour of Young. Hardly going to be brimming with confidence was he?

I'm not knocking Williams at all. I'm all for Williams providing competition, it's a good thing. But to say he is 'much more attack minded' is just not true. Not that i expect it from him yet anyway but so far, i haven't seen Williams do much going forward.

Point is, we saw it under LVG when he was fully fit and we saw it last season when he was fully fit. Shaw has shown he has the capability to provide a threat going forward, he just needs to do it on a consistent basis.

Last edited:

knot_buzz

A lot of it can be mental health also.

I had a grade 3 playing local league Aussie rules, and I would be lying if I said I never thought about it and second guessed it at times.

Unfortunately Luke is no stranger to serious injury

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I wonder who will be back first between him and the Pog.

Andersons Dietician

The mystery is how he managed to injury himself, with no other players near him. He pretty much just fell over, injured. I think he has a special talent there, he should try making it a living.
This is probably the funniest post I’ve seen in a while.

‘I really don’t get this idea been thrown around that Williams is more of an attacking threat. What did you guys see in the 2-3 games he’s played that leads you to believe that?
One game he spent a lot of it sitting back.

Dve

This is probably the funniest post I’ve seen in a while.

‘I really don’t get this idea been thrown around that Williams is more of an attacking threat. What did you guys see in the 2-3 games he’s played that leads you to believe that?
One game he spent a lot of it sitting back.
To be honest, in my head I was commenting on Bailly. Now I realise I´m in the Shaw tread. Sorry about that.

I agree with you. I´m impressed by Williams defensive abilities, how quick he turns, how close he gets to his opponents and his tackles. He even did Bissaka´s signatur tackle last match, he may have learnt from him. But offensively, he has yet to show that he´s better than Shaw, absolutely.

Tel074

I actually hope Ole can see that Shaw is dog shit and replaces him or gives Williams a proper run of games . With a proper left back we would have a quality back 4 and that's the base for every good side .

lRed

I rate Shaw very highly as a defensive fullback, but i do question the squad planning, considering we've just signed another defensive fullback in AWB too.

Succesful teams with defensive managers in the past usually only needed the 1 defensive full-back. For us to now have 2 especially on big wages is strange.

If Shaw can't get over his injury problems, we're going to be stuck with him until his contract runs out, which is 4 more years at £195k until he moves on, on a free.

We literally can do nothing but hope he gets over his injury troubles.
You think we should have went for someone like Max Aarons from Norwich more than AWB ?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Exactly one year on and yet another hamstring injury. Like clockwork.

Only played 103 of 235 PL games since joining 6 years ago. Compare that to AWB who has played 41 of 45 games in just over a year.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Whatever your opinion on Shaw, good or bad, his injury record is poor to the point we need a second good LB, not just a back-up. Based on that, I'd sell while we can still get our money back.

I am not sure if this is correct but I remember he had a reputation for injuries even before he had the nasty ankle break. All in all, move him on in the next 2 years but based on prior experience he'd be earning >150k into his mid-30s.

As for people calling for Williams of all people to be rotated for Shaw, go to Specsavers.

K Stand Knut

Exactly one year on and yet another hamstring injury. Like clockwork.

Only played 103 of 235 PL games since joining 6 years ago. Compare that to AWB who has played 41 of 45 games in just over a year.
probably a tad unfair considering he probably missed 35 through his leg break.

not sure what the percentage of games missed through non-selection by Mourinho whilst fit for example

Judas

Open to offers
Whatever your opinion on Shaw, good or bad, his injury record is poor to the point we need a second good LB, not just a back-up. Based on that, I'd sell while we can still get our money back.

I am not sure if this is correct but I remember he had a reputation for injuries even before he had the nasty ankle break. All in all, move him on in the next 2 years but based on prior experience he'd be earning >150k into his mid-30s.

As for people calling for Williams of all people to be rotated for Shaw, go to Specsavers.
Obviously Telles would be preferred, but that simply hasn't been an option the last few weeks, quite clearly.

Matt851

Not a massive shaw fan but certainly think we have bigger problems to address than left back now. Dont really get your point about williams, ole seems to be trying to put the blame for shaws injury on the league but he has had opportunities to rest him. If he doesnt rate williams maybe he shouldnt have signed off on his new contract

el3mel

At least we have Telles this time to cover up for him. Good squad depth.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Hamstring injuries are tricky. Shaw gives it his all on the pitch which doesn't go well with having a knackered body.

tomaldinho1

Feel bad for him - he was such a dynamic player coming through when he was younger but his injury record is concerning. Telles looked great last time out so hopefully he's recovered now.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I feel sorry for him. Been playing since he was 17 at a high level which is physically demanding for a young lad and then had that horrible leg break which probably means having to manage your leg a bit more to adjust to how that feels which can't help with niggling injuries like these.

VivaRonaldo85

Stunned if Shaw gets back in 4 weeks that was quoted today in the media. He’s notoriously slow at recovering from such set backs. Great shame as he was playing well again but thank god we’ll have Telles available to come in.

TheRedHearted

Stunned if Shaw gets back in 4 weeks that was quoted today in the media. He’s notoriously slow at recovering from such set backs. Great shame as he was playing well again but thank god we’ll have Telles available to come in.
When is Telles available?

i can only image the less amount of strain he would have on himself with about five to seven pounds off him.

Amerifan

Overuse injury. There will be a lot more like it before this season ends.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

i can only image the less amount of strain he would have on himself with about five to seven pounds off him.
I believe Telles is back in training now. What we don't know is how much impact having Covid had on him. Particularly with him already not really playing this season, his match fitness (perhaps even general fitness) will probably be a fair bit behind.

Number32

He was in the squad at Goodison Park last Saturday, should be playing at U23 to gain a full match sharpness.

Web of Bissaka

Bit baffled why he hasn't been rotated with Williams a bit more, this was bound to happen.
That's why - his performances goes to tit in all the games he played once he signed the lucrative long contract.

I don't blame Ole, but he could've used TFM instead at LB. That said, it's why we brought in Telles, unfortunately the C19 positive happened during the time where we're playing many important games so Shaw had to play majority of those. No excuses though, we should've rotate when we're up against RBL and IB.

rollingstoned1

id like to know from shaw's injury history if he picks up a lot of soft tissue injuries? wouldnt be surprised if that was the case.

Odin

Any real news on this? Is he definitely out for a while? Or could it be that Shaw and medical personnel lowered the bar for him going off, as a cautionary measure?

Maybe a bit desperate, but I am hoping for development and trying to stay positive.

Strelok

Imo he should try his best to reduce his upper body weight. Having a heavy upper body won't do your knees, your legs muscles or your ankles any good. Especially when your job is sprinting up and down the line.

Craig Ward

Does he? Williams looks like a decent backup option to both AWB and Shaw, he's certainly nowhere near as good as either. And considering we've signed another LB in Telles - that shows how much Williams is rated for LB here. Arguably 2nd choice RB with TFM and a solid 3rd choice LB behind Shaw and Telles.

Think we are over hyping Williams a lot. The kids got a good attitude, he works his arse off but unfortunately he's just not that good. He's miles behind AWB, Shaw and Telles. He's offered nothing in an attacking sense for me and is much less of a player than the starters.

There's this myth that AWB is a good defender too - he's not. He's excellent in the tackle but he's almost always out of position from set plays etc. Shaws actually competent at both - as he has played LB and looked assured in the LCB role in a back 3. Shaws extremely underrated by our fans

If fans are excited about Williams then it shows how far we have fallen. Shaws position will be rotated with Telles - Williams is firmly 3rd choice LB and clearly not as good as people are hyping him up to be.

Craig Ward

I actually hope Ole can see that Shaw is dog shit and replaces him or gives Williams a proper run of games . With a proper left back we would have a quality back 4 and that's the base for every good side .
What on earth are you smoking?

We signed Telles, a LB to rotate/compete with Shaw who is firmly our 1st choice LB.

Why would we give Williams a run of games when he is nowhere near as good as Shaw? He's not a proper LB and just dis balances the team with his lack of width on the left.

Adding Williams to our LB makes our back 4 weaker. your argument is garbage

VivaRonaldo85

He was back training in the squad ahead of Everton game but mustn’t have been fit enough. Hoping two more weeks of training and he’ll be fit come West Brom.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He was back training in the squad ahead of Everton game but mustn’t have been fit enough. Hoping two more weeks of training and he’ll be fit come West Brom.
We don't have achoice unless we go 3 at the back and have Telles as wingback

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Bad timing and may not get the LB job back if Telles plays as well as he is capable of.

Telles has been training and currently with the Brazil squad I think.