What made you support United?

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Beckham and RVN!

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Norman Whiteside extra time 1985 [End]
Great Username :lol:

@TheReligion luck of the draw. Dad and 2 older brothers are all Pool fans. I switched on the telly, randomly one day when I was 7-8 (1991-1992) & there was United, playing Blackburn iirc. I “liked” the guys in the red tops & my dad told me who they were. (Tbf, he didn’t even try and discourage me from them - he was just happy that I started taking a keen interest on sport, in general). I guess if I switched on the really that day, and Pool was playing....:nervous:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
i've been playing football since I was 4 and i'm now turning 46 in the spring and still play. however, growing up in Canada we didn't have much exposure to the beautiful game until the early/mid 90's when "Soccer Saturday" used to air on TSN. Every week they would show 2 EPL games and one Italian game. I would just watch because I loved the game and almost every week they would show a United game. I started off watching as a nutral and then all of a sudden I found myself cheering whenever United scored. So I didn't pick United. They picked me and here I am some 25 years later. I even named my son Ryan and he knows exactly who he is named after...

Pigeon

My Grandad and Dad are die hard supports. We have been season ticket holders for 10 years and go home & away with my younger brother now as well..

But I don’t go for the football. My first ever game was against Bayern Munich where I was poked in the eye with a flag pole (one of the big ones with wooden sticks), ever since I have travelled the country pretending to enjoy watching this club with only one thing on my mind.. revenge :devil:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I was born in Canada to British parents, my old man supported United (though wasn't a massive fan) and bought me some Bryan Robson shin-pads when I was 5... and here we are
I had these! Had his autograph printed on them. Robson was the initial reason, also born and live in Manchester. Then just everything about the club....Newton Heath, Busby Babes, 58, 68, George Best.

Foxbatt

A young man who looked like a member of the Beatles and who could create magic on the pitch. The fact that he was so different to other players as he played with a freedom that he couldn't give a feck to the norms of the day.

ThinkTank@Cafe

I live in Kazakhstan. Local football culture is virtually non existent, so those of us who enjoy quality football have to chose other nations to support.

I started to support England since 1990 when I was 11. Remember that team? Lineker, Gazza, Shilton...Lost to Germans in the semis.

Then Germany won 1996 Euros in England. They were a powerhouse back in 1990s. By 1999 I had become quite a hater of German football.

May 26, 1999. My University mates who supported United invited me to the bar to watch that game.

I never liked club football. The game was boring as shit.

There was a group of middle aged men next table in the bar who were drinking Bavaria (a beer), and praising “German machine”. “Germans always win”, “Nobody stand a chance against Germany because they make Mercedes, and, therefore, they are good at machines”. Weird, nonsensical, “racist-ish” but very (almost universal) common opinion from the people who like football as a garnish for their alcohol.

1.5 hours into the game, I realized that everything I wanted in my life in that particular evening was that “the machine” would be beaten. I wanted nothing more.

In 2 minutes, United turned me into the happiest person in the world. After the game, we left the bar into pouring rain, we were walking wet through and sang songs and chants. That was a completely new, exciting experience.

scoi

Giggs, as Wales' only great footballer when I was growing up it was the obvious thing along with Cardiff in the old second division

sully07

George Best. I was 7 or 8 and I got given a United Shirt and my Mum sewed the number 11 on the back from a cut up pillowcase. I think she bought the shirt with Green shield stamps.

NewGuy

Started when i collected football cards as a kid , Found a United card cant remember who the player was but loved the shirt and started to follow the games when i could and fell in love !

Lynty

Someone give me a 'hand me down' 1993 away shirt - 3 sizes too big.

Played in it until mid 2000s

EwanI Ted

Grew up in Old Trafford, mum supported them, just a natural thing. Felt odd when I got older to find that the name Old Trafford was world famous, not least because Old Trafford itself is such a nothing place.

Hawks2008

My mates were United fans in primary school so I went along with them.

Once I started watching games when I was like 7 or 8 Rooney very quickly became my favourite player and probably still is my favourite player ever. Also FIFA 08.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Born in Manchester, so it was the obvious choice. I was a United fan, but never went to any games. I went on a tour around Old Trafford when I was a kid (1977/78) because my dad knew Les Olive. I met Steve Coppell and he gave me some custard creams. I also held the FA Cup.
After that, I used to hang around the ground until the last 20 minutes when they opened the turnstyles.

Black.Ghost

When I was 5, sat on my Grandad's lap (mum's side) and he asked me who I support. I said I didn't know. He said "Support the best, support United". So I did. That would have been '88/'89, although in all honesty I didn't really get it to it until much later. I remember being lucky enough to have an old TV for a birthday when I was 11 or 12, and putting MOTD on with the volume right down so my parents didn't hear anything, great times. No one ever took me to a game (grandad disabled), until I got a season ticket when I was in my 20s.

I like baseball and tried supportng a MLB team or a lower league football team since, but I just can't get passionate about it. Only United and England make me scream in frustration and shout in excitement. My grandad is still alive, but he's old and doesn't have the fire for it anymore since nana passed, but he still reads up every now and then. My brother supports United as well, although I think he's losing his interest in football a bit to be honest. My daughter is now 3 and usually wants the red ones to win. My nephew likes football but doesnn't support anyone yet, so work to be done!

Enjoyed reading your stories, good thread and makes a change from the negativity around at the moment.

Reactions: jojojo

NoneBmStore

Being danish Peter Schmeichel was a big reason.
Also, danish tv showed Beck’s goal against Wimbledon. Didn’t take more.

Siorac

When changing schools after third grade, I had switched from studying German to studying English and found it a lot better, a lot more interesting. So when Euro 1996 came along I supported England, and then rooted for English clubs in international competitions. The decisive moment was the Dortmund semi-final in 97: United kept missing chance after chance and I grew increasingly desperate for them to win because to my 11-year-old mind, it all looked surreal that it's happening again - the semi-final of Euro 96 was still a vivid memory at that point.

There was no way back after that. It stuck. A couple of incredibly frustrating 1-0 defeats sealed it for me.

JanK

Supports
Napoli
My father started supporting United 1991, when Andrei Kanchelskis joined. As it was still Soviet era, i think my dad felt some connection with him (we are from Estonia) and then it all started. Few years later our infamous Old Town had their first sports bars, owned by Brits and they brought the SAT and Premier League. Then I started to go to games around 2002 and at first I liked Real Madrid (I was 9 years old) due to Zidane's amazing goal in CL final. But I started hating Bayern München a year before, when they won the shootout against Valencia.

Everything changed in 2003, when I went almost every weekend to sports bar to watch United's game with dad and his friends. And then it all started.

Weird is, that I have never had favourite players. I liked the team and its true grit, warrior mentality and feeling of being feared. All these fighters (Ferdinand, Vidic, Rooney, Keane, Scholes) made United. Afterwards I hoped that Memphis would become a great player for us, but yeah... stuff happens.

I felt good during LVG reign and Mourinho's two first seasons. I had some hope that maybe things will go well and we'd win the league or be successful in CL. Suddenly I realised that the board is to blame and currently I am just waiting for some change. I don't cheer when we score or win, because it is just a false positivity which is a great short-term emotion, but doesn't give any confidence in long-term question.

GMoore23

I've been a United fan for as long as I can remember. One of my earliest memories is seeing my nan present my older cousin on his birthday with the new green and yellow away Jersey, laced at the neck.
I couldn't have been more than 3 at the time but I remember it vividly, I thought it was the coolest thing ever.
Uniteds 92/93 season review on Vhs also. I wasn't able to watch United live as much in the early premier league years, mostly just the big games and motd highlights but my older cousin gave me the 92/93 season review after he'd watched it.
I must have watched that vhs a 100 times as a kid and would highly recommend it to anyone who's never seen it. Theres something magical about it and that season in general.
First league title in 25 years, recovering from a slow start, the signing of Cantona, the Emergence of Giggs, every outfield player getting a goal, Busby in the stands watching on. The beginning of Fergies reign of dominance. Catchy theme song also. Just reminiscing has put me in the mood to watch it again.

Red Star One

My dad was a Borussia fan, I was six and already in awe of Beckham and Giggs, Champions League final in 99 saw my father cheering for United (or against Bayern, whatever you like) and I watched this game hoping United can win. I don't need to say that having seen the last few minutes of the game I became United die hard fan for life and never supported any other club since that night.

schmurnan

First game I ever saw was United v Sheffield Wednesday in the '91 Rumbelows Cup Final. My mum worked for ASDA at the time and they sponsored Sheff. Wed., which is why it caught my eye. And basically fell in love with United and Sparky off the back of that match, despite losing 1-0. Still my favourite player of all time to this day, and will always remember lying on the living room floor playing with LEGO watching that match.

Went into the match expecting to like Sheff. Wed. because of the shirt sponsor, came out of it supporting United.

Reactions: Invictus

Where I grew up most people supported them, with the occasional glory hunting (back then) Liverpool supporter or sadistic Stoke supporter.

Web of Bissaka

Kid - social pressure (everyone "must" support a club), and thanks to my older sister.

Teen - Beckham, then Ronaldo.

Young Adult - SAF and the club's history + Scholes, Saha, VDS, Vidic, Carrick.

Toblerone92

Born in Manchester, and everyone at school was either City or United, but mostly United. My Dad was and is a Crewe fan, so I used to travel with him to games down the M6 to visit family and attend games. My first away game was Crewe vs City in Division 1 at Maine Road and after the heroics of 99' I had already decided United were my team. Crewe scored two goals in quick succession to level up just before half time and one delightful member of the City crowd launched a pound coin into the away end (likely his life savings), and struck a woman sat behind me on the head. She was visibly distressed and in a lot of pain, and from that day on I have had nothing but utter contempt for that deplorable bunch.

Crewe lost 5-2 that day and I remember walking away from the ground feeling angry about what happened to that poor woman, with my mind made up that City were the most despicable team in the league. I still follow Crewe but United are my first love and I try and get to games when I can despite now living in London, where of course I receive no end of stick about being another United fan from London.

Revaulx

I was always seriously crap at football, having speed and strength from an early age but being completely devoid of skill. Plus there was no interest in football whatsoever in my family. I'd "supported" United since whenever (first memory being watching the '63 Cup Final on telly) since the vast majority of the lads in my primary school class were Reds and Old Trafford was only about seven miles down the road.

The only non-Red happened to be my best friend, and my first live match was accompanying him and his dad (a vicar, but you wouldn't have known from his language in the stands :lol:) to Maine Road, where we sat on a wooden bench and most people around us moaned non-stop.

In my third year at Grammar School we all changed form groups, and I was put next to a lad I didn't know.

Him: "Who do you support?"
Me: "Er, United"
Him: "Are you going on Saturday?"
Me: "Er..."
Him: "Come with us"
Me: "Er, OK"

It was just before Wilf was relieved of his first team duties and Sir Matt returned to them. Lots of passionate discussion over whether Wilf was crap and a terrible appointment, or whether he'd have done far better if he'd been backed properly.

So not a lot has changed in the intervening 49 years...

'77FACup

My dad was a United fan because of ‘58 and he let a nine year old boy in Australia stay up till midnight to watch the 1977 FA cup final live

Havak

Pokemon master
I'm not actually sure. More of my family were City fans. Most of my memories seem to be getting excited by Cantona and Giggs in the early to mid 90's and seeing United win the trophies. It was most likely the 93-94 season where I would have been 4-5 years old and just getting into football properly as a kid. Being told United were champions and seeing them do it again. Odd to think it, but if we didn't win those first couple of Premier League titles when we did, I might have been convinced to be a City fan by my late grandads or uncles... Luckily, it was a decision made by myself even at that young age. My dad is more of a Rugby League fan, so he wasn't ever trying to sway me one way or the other.

TRUERED89

Some of the reasons on here, deary me :lol:. Me personally I never had a choice, it was United or no one! Either that or get beat up by family for being a traitor. I didn't jump on the band wagon for glory reasons or because I saw a particular goal/player, United was literally all I knew since a baby.

Nr.7

Around December 1998. My friend and I played Fifa at the local game store. Since we were limited with time we just clicked on Exhibition match to start playing as soon as possible.
The start always had player 1 as Man Utd vs Arsenal as player 2.
Since I was always “player 1” I played with United.

I didn’t know any players besides Suker, Boban and Prosinecki.
By playing with United that became the first starting eleven I could name.

Started watching United every chance I could. They only showed derby games from Europe’s top 5 leagues and CL games on TV back then.
I was hooked and luckily United went all the way to the final that season so I managed to watch a lot of matches.

Saw them live in Zagreb in 2000 when United played Dinamo. Beckham scored and I celebrated which annoyed my uncle so much he refused to take me to any games for a good few years. He still mentions it to this day “I can’t believe you celebrated against Dinamo”.

Went to Old Trafford in 2015. Boxing day match against Chelsea.
Felt special being in a place I grew up
watching as a kid. Funny, I had so
many memories of a place I was at for the first time in my life.

ReddBalls

My father came back from a trip to Tanzania with a red belt with the words "Man Utd." written on it as a present for me. Five years later I watched this.

I had a friend who was (and is) a die hard Juventus fan. Barcelona had knocked Juventus out in the semi's, so we decided we would cheer on Barcelona's opponent in the final. United won, and I had found myself a team. I loved Sharpe in that game. When Giggs burst on the scene i was hooked.

Peter Edman

Cantona and his (in)famous kick. Yes, i was an asshole growing up.

Roy Keane was my hero after king Eric. Really miss those good old days..

Ixion

Was born there, Mother supported them. Watching Hughes score that winner from an impossible angle in 91 is burned into my brain and when I remember really following.

AaronRedDevil

Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole. I watched them once and it was just beautiful, can’t remember the team they played against, maybe Blackburn. I was 7 or 8. But they didn’t even need to look at each other to know where they are. Both unselfish, both helped each other score. Awesome partnership. I decided that was the team I wanted to follow.

Then Ronaldo And Rooney came along and made me fall in love watching the sport every week.