What next for Eddie Howe?

el3mel

He'll get a PL job soon, either one or when the next manager of whoever will fight relegation next season gets sacked. It's not really a problem I guess.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
West Ham or Palace
Yeah either of them. Hodgson will probably step down in next 12 months and West Ham could easily have a poor start and Moyes will be under big pressure.

Actually think Southampton would be a good fit but Hasenhuttl signed a new contract recently. Perhaps Newcastle might be an option if they remain in state of flux.

Jibbs

I think Everton should seriously think about getting him. Ancelotti is too big a fish in small pond and not suitable for a mid table club aspiring to be in top 6. Eddie will be very good for them.

baskinginthesun

He's shown enough quality to earn another PL job. As others have said, a Palace or West Ham gig might be good for him. It will be good challenge to see if he can get a lower table club into the top half. It could set him up to earn a big job later on down the line. He has tons of time left in him to go for it. Hopefully, he's willing to adapt and change his style to stay up to date and stuff as tactics change down the line.

NYAS

I’ve said this before but London might be a bit too far north for Southern Eddie. Could see him waiting for the Southampton or Brighton jobs to vacate.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Villa? Palace? He's definitely a PL manager and he'll be on the radar for a few sides I'd imagine.
Yeah, you're probably right. Just thought there was a bit of a craze going on for fashionable continental managers.

(sry, moved this to a more apt thread)

Reiver

I still rate him. Might just be in my head, but his bigger money signings just didn't seem to work out.
Not sure where he'll end up next. I'm sure he could take another Championship club back to the Premier League. Equally, I wouldn't be surprised if a club like West Ham took a punt on him.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think Everton should seriously think about getting him. Ancelotti is too big a fish in small pond and not suitable for a mid table club aspiring to be in top 6. Eddie will be very good for them.
I'm sure our board are scrambling right now to try and replace 3 time CL winner Ancelotti with EFL Championship winner Howe.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
I reckon Eddie would do very well at a club with an established Technical Director, of Director of Football. He's a very good man manager, plays attractive football, and is tactically astute, but his transfer dealings have left a bit to be desired.

starman

Think it will be a London club, West ham most likely, maybe Spurs if Jose implodes.
Palace, is possible, but reckon he would want to go to a team that has a higher ceiling after being at Bournemouth for so long

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
On a serious note, I did at one point think he could perhaps come in and do a job for us but over the course of the season he proved that he has some serious failings i.e against big clubs his record is shocking and his transfer record is largely atrocious.

EDIT: He is eerily similar to Moyes (not the style of football but what works and what doesn't - steady record against clubs outside top 6, better at the low budget transfers than the big budget ones).

Last edited:

starman

I reckon Eddie would do very well at a club with an established Technical Director, of Director of Football. He's a very good man manager, plays attractive football, and is tactically astute, but his transfer dealings have left a bit to be desired.
I keep reading this but he must have done a decent job over the years to get a team from league 2 to the PL and keep them there for 5 years.
This trail of thought seems to center around him buying two Liverpool players among certain United fans...

Fraser, King, Wilson, Brooks, Ake, Lewis Cook, Ramsdale are all players PL teams will be interested in and some from the top 6

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah either of them. Hodgson will probably step down in next 12 months and West Ham could easily have a poor start and Moyes will be under big pressure.

Actually think Southampton would be a good fit but Hasenhuttl signed a new contract recently. Perhaps Newcastle might be an option if they remain in state of flux.
Villa

lilcurt

I can see Palace going for him. West Ham will most likely stick with Moyes.
A manager like him should a lid west ham like the plague. Palace could be an option, also thing Wolves could be looking for a manager by Christmas if they don't start well (not that I agree with that).

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
I keep reading this but he must have done a decent job over the years to get a team from league 2 to the PL and keep them there for 5 years.
This trail of thought seems to center around him buying two Liverpool players among certain United fans...

Fraser, King, Wilson, Brooks, Ake, Lewis Cook, Ramsdale are all players PL teams will be interested in and some from the top 6
Without a doubt, he hasn't been horrible, however over the past 2 seasons these are his noticeable signings.

2018/2019
Jefferson Lerma - 25 milion
Dominic Solanke - 20 million
Diego Rico - 13 million
Chris Mephem - 12 million
David Brooks - 10 million

2019/2020
Arnaut Danjuma - 16 million
Philip Billing - 15 million
Lloyd Kelly - 13 million
Jack Stacey - 4 million

Very few of these have proven to be anywhere near Premier League quality, David Brooks has been brilliant, and Billing hasn't been too bad and would probably do ok in other bottom half sides, but other than those two I struggle to see any value for money in any of these signings, although Jack Stacey was only 4 million, and came in to be a rotation option.

Add to this that some of the departures have been a little naive if you ask me. Yes they got a good bit of money for Mings, but he's been one of the reasons Aston Villa have stayed up this season, and Mousset has had a decent enough season with Sheffield United.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Think he'll take a job at Palace and eventually end up at one of Southampton/Leicester when Spurs decide to replace Mou with Rodgers

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Aston Villa until John Terry fecks his wife, then Spurs. Mourinho will feel equally as bitter after the sack.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I’ve said this before but London might be a bit too far north for Southern Eddie. Could see him waiting for the Southampton or Brighton jobs to vacate.
Neither of those will be coming up for quite a while, Potter signed a contract extension to 2025 last season and Hassanhuttl signed a four year extension last month.

NYAS

Neither of those will be coming up for quite a while, Potter signed a contract extension to 2025 last season and Hassanhuttl signed a four year extension last month.
I know, I also think they’re both better managers than him. I genuinely think he hates moving out of his comfort zone so much that he might just wait it out, or even try Pompey if it takes too long. I know it sounds ridiculous, but opinions.

Jezpeza

Perhaps controversially, i dont subscribe to the howe fetish. Its the usual ‘young and english’ theme that makes everything more valuable than it should be.

I like the bournemouth project but i feel they rode the sentiment and feel good factor up the leagues more than anything. They’ve been swirling the pan for a few years and howe didn't seem to do much to arrest that. Poor and costly signings, he blew a lot of the money they had on poor players or younger players he has failed to coach and develop. Suicide tactics. All for positive football but when it becomes obvious you are in a relegation battle and dont have the quality to out football other sides or the best players are injured you need a plan b. Shocking record this season against teams that were likely to finish in the bottom half and a fully deserved relegation.

His Highest finish Was 9th but in a season where there were 6 points between 17th and 8th in the final table. Dont know why any PL team would look at him tbh.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I think his career could have a trajectory similar to Alan Curbishley's.

1. Highly rated during a long stint at one club
2. West Ham
3. Unable to find another job

el3mel

I honestly can't see him managing any top PL club at any point to be honest. Best he'll achieve is something like Everton.

Bojan11

Why would he go Brighton? He’d have the same problem there as he did at Bournemouth.

West Ham or Everton for me if he wants to step up.

acnumber9

He’ll do a few months at another job then go back to Bournemouth like he did the last time.

Mindhunter

He kept Bournemouth in the PL for 5 seasons and he did that while playing positively. That's a massive overachievement and so he definitely deserves a chance with a club with better finances who are more established in the PL.

I am not too sure though that he will take the first opening on offer. He seems like a bloke who would think it through and only join if he sees a long-term future for himself and the opportunity to build something. He isn't going to take a "save us from relegation" job half way through the season.

The most likely destination for him right now is obviously Crystal Palace.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I know UK coaches don't go abroad very often, but I could also see Howe going to Germany or the Netherlands. I think he would fit right in with his approach to football and he'll like the DoF structure he'll find at clubs there.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He would be awful at Palace. He has a terrible transfer record and Palace squad is arguably worse than Bournemouth’s with even less money to spend and an aging squad.

Hodgson has done a fantastic job there, as he so often does with teams who really shouldn’t be in the PL by rights. Very underrated job just because they didn’t care after the restart and were safe. Many teams beneath them (including Bournemouth) spent far more and didn’t lose their best defender with no replacement.

Howe would be awful for them and it would be a similar story to what we have just seen my opinion.

Cant defend and can’t seem to buy at this level either.

Both the other southern jobs (Southampton and Brighton) looked good and finished the season brightly, so he could be waiting a while if his family don’t like him being away.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Look forward to seeing what he does next. Enjoyed watching Bournemouth over the years.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
On a serious note, I did at one point think he could perhaps come in and do a job for us but over the course of the season he proved that he has some serious failings i.e against big clubs his record is shocking and his transfer record is largely atrocious.
Is this record that bad relative to Bournemouth's resources and quality? They've beaten us four times (three at Stamford Bridge), United I think twice maybe three, scalped Liverpool and Arsenal aswell.

It's a lot better than Dyche's record Vs the big six and people marvel about how Burnley are "tough to beat".

His transfer record though is horrific, I can't even think of a rational explanation to what the hell went through his mind when he got the likes of Solanke and Ibe in, even for free they would have been a rip off.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
His transfer record though is horrific, I can't even think of a rational explanation to what the hell went through his mind when he got the likes of Solanke and Ibe in, even for free they would have been a rip off.
Wilson for £3 mil.
King on a free.
Ake for £20 mil.
Brooks for £10 mil.

There's a few really good transfers he made.