What next for Gareth Bale?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
If Spurs lose Eriksen I can actually see him going back there.

They have the option still don't they and well his winning mentality is more than most of their squad so could be the sort of signing they need to push their squad to actually winning some trophies.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I think Bale's contribution to Madrid's CL success is vastly overstated tbh.

13/14: 12 games, 6 goals. 2 important goals in the quarter final and final. Key player.
15/16: 8 games, 0 goals. Apart from a penalty in the shoot out he was fairly useless for them.
16/17: 8 games, 2 goals. 2 relatively meaningless goals in the group stage is nothing to write home about.
17/18: 7 games, 3 goals. 1 relatively meaningless goal in the group stage and then an amazing goal in the final + Karious blunder.

You have to give him a lot of credit for their 13/14 win but after that it's just one overhead kick in three years. I look at Ronaldo's contribution to those trophies (60 goals in 49 games) and it's impossible to imagine their success without him but Bale feels more like an extra who had a memorable scene than a leading man.
He was very good in 15/16 final. Otherwise fair summary. Feels since 2016 injuries have really stunted his time in Madrid as first three seasons he hardly missed a game and was very influential in things.

His La Liga scoring record hasn't been bad, even last season when he was inevitably injury hit he managed 16 la Liga goals in 26 appearences. Benzema scored FIVE. :eek::lol:

Seems to be this preception given his free role in Real Madrid team he must be scoring 30 goals even if he just plays 10 games like that Ronaldo fellow but it really isn't that simple.

If it was well future superstars Marcos Asensio (1 La Liga goal all season) and Lucas....only joking Madridistas.

Overall I thought they'd sell him last summer but guess with Ronaldo suddenly wanting out they wanted to see if he could step up with Ronaldo suddenly leaving. This summer you probably will see movement if Hazard comes in as Hazard plays same area of the pitch.

crossy1686

career ending

They have the option still don't they and well his winning mentality is more than most of their squad so could be the sort of signing they need to push their squad to actually winning some trophies.
I think he'll go back there and be like Sanchez is for us. Hopefully...

Sigma

I think Bale's contribution to Madrid's CL success is vastly overstated tbh.

13/14: 12 games, 6 goals. 2 important goals in the quarter final and final. Key player.
15/16: 8 games, 0 goals. Apart from a penalty in the shoot out he was fairly useless for them.
16/17: 8 games, 2 goals. 2 relatively meaningless goals in the group stage is nothing to write home about.
17/18: 7 games, 3 goals. 1 relatively meaningless goal in the group stage and then an amazing goal in the final + Karious blunder.

You have to give him a lot of credit for their 13/14 win but after that it's just one overhead kick in three years. I look at Ronaldo's contribution to those trophies (60 goals in 49 games) and it's impossible to imagine their success without him but Bale feels more like an extra who had a memorable scene than a leading man.
He gave an assist to Ramos in the 15/16 final and his shot (which was deflected and turned out to be an own goal) was the only goal in the semi-final vs Manchester City. He played a big part is 3 Champions League wins, the only one he didn't was 16/17.

RedDevil@84

He gave an assist to Ramos in the 15/16 final and his shot (which was deflected and turned out to be an own goal) was the only goal in the semi-final vs Manchester City. He played a big part is 3 Champions League wins, the only one he didn't was 16/17.
That would make him an occasional player. His contributions to the Real team is peanuts when compared to the money he makes.
His hype is way way more than his contributions. If he was not a costly export from PL, I doubt if he would have ever got the hype he gets.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
That would make him an occasional player. His contributions to the Real team is peanuts when compared to the money he makes.
His hype is way way more than his contributions. If he was not a costly export from PL, I doubt if he would have ever got the hype he gets.
Bale has been injured a lot, but until recently I think he has been world class when I have seen him play. Even last game against Atletico he took his goal very well.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Strange one cause I'm not sure whether he'll look back and view his career has being a success which sounds stupid considering what he's won. I think his problem is I'm unsure amongst all the other players inc CR7 how much he contributed to them winning. Whilst I'm not saying it should have been here, would have been good to see him back in the prem a couple of years ago.....
Erm, he changed the game against Liverpool last May scoring one of the best goals ever seen in a Champions League final, also playing major roles in other Champions League triumphs.

He's had a better career than Hazard by quite some margin, who seems to be a Caf favourite.

Sigma

He's scored 100 goals and got about 60 assists in about 220 matches. That's not an occasional player.

Walters_19_MuFc

If Ole gets the job, then I can't imagine he'll go in for Bale. He made it clear that he won't just buy players because of status - something I think we've been guilty of in the last few years. Solskjaer said “It is not about x amount of players. It has to be the right one and one who fits. The personality has to fit with the team. It is not just buy a superstar and that will fix things and suddenly we go from challenging to being top four and be champions". That pretty much rules Bale out, in my opinion. Plus, he's really not that great anymore.

TGK

Supports
Liverpool
He's going to end up as a makeweight in the Hazard transfer, sad and weird, but there it is.

Will Chelsea be the 'right' club for him?

it's all a bit tawdry at this point.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
If Ole gets the job, then I can't imagine he'll go in for Bale. He made it clear that he won't just buy players because of status - something I think we've been guilty of in the last few years. Solskjaer said “It is not about x amount of players. It has to be the right one and one who fits. The personality has to fit with the team. It is not just buy a superstar and that will fix things and suddenly we go from challenging to being top four and be champions". That pretty much rules Bale out, in my opinion. Plus, he's really not that great anymore.
With Ole, I think we go back to our policy under Fergie of finding players whose best years are still ahead of them, like Martial. Bale, his salary, his injury history and at this point a lack of motivation do not fit that criteria.

Litch

Erm, he changed the game against Liverpool last May scoring one of the best goals ever seen in a Champions League final, also playing major roles in other Champions League triumphs.

He's had a better career than Hazard by quite some margin, who seems to be a Caf favourite.
I watched it funny enough but it clearly changed nothing in how hes viewed rightly or wrongly by the fans. I think given how much they paid for him then, they expected him to be a leader and not one of the supporting cast....

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's not going back to Spurs. He's on something like £500k a week.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I watched it funny enough but it clearly changed nothing in how hes viewed rightly or wrongly by the fans. I think given how much they paid for him then, they expected him to be a leader and not one of the supporting cast....
Madrid fans booed Ronaldo for a while, I agree that Bale was purchased to become the main man, and hes definitely failed at that, injuries haven't helped, but to say he'll look back on his trophies at Real and say he'd view it as him not contributing to them is seriously downplaying his involvement, his goals at important times for Real have more than paid for his transfer.

Bwuk

He's not going back to Spurs. He's on something like £500k a week.
Exactly, it'd ruin their wage structure.

Unless Bale takes a paycut, or Madrid pay part of his wages I think they are stuck with him.

Walters_19_MuFc

With Ole, I think we go back to our policy under Fergie of finding players whose best years are still ahead of them, like Martial. Bale, his salary, his injury history and at this point a lack of motivation do not fit that criteria.
Think it's about finding that balance really. He also went on to say “If you look at the players, the age of them, they’re young and they’ve got plenty of development in them. But we also need some experienced players to stay and step up and really become the leaders. Paul (Pogba) now is, Jesse - they’re at that age where we expect them to take that responsibility and not just be a young boy that floats around.”

Sir Alex always had a good mixture of experience of youth in his teams. As you said, it looks like Ole will go back to that policy.

Players like Rice, Wan-Bissaka and Sancho are three players we should be going all out for, in my opinion.

Litch

Madrid fans booed Ronaldo for a while, I agree that Bale was purchased to become the main man, and hes definitely failed at that, injuries haven't helped, but to say he'll look back on his trophies at Real and say he'd view it as him not contributing to them is seriously downplaying his involvement, his goals at important times for Real have more than paid for his transfer.
I hear you and whilst you are right, as a closet Real fan and travelled quite a few times to watch them at home, their measure of success and failure is very different to any other club. Don't forget like Barca, Bale as a player pales respectfully into in significance when you think of the quality they are use to. We might think he's a success but the disconnect with the fans expectations, he's seen as a failure because the goals he scored is the given for a real forward, but that's not why they bought him.

T_Model101

I think Madrid will push to make him the makeweight in the Hazard deal
But they have had problems getting rid of well paid Brits before, Mcmanaman turned down several offers to stay and see out his deal. Think he was on about £60k a week back then

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
He should stay put and make Real pay him every penny they committed to him.

United shouldn't be anywhere near this one.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
A leader when Ronaldo is running the show and demanding constant cut backs for his 5 yard tap ins.....;)

Think it would've worked better if Ronaldo had left in say 2015. Bale was less injury prone and just better in those days. Too many injuries in last three years have reduced his effectiveness from start of games (can obviously still be a very good sub with half an hour left).

Would also say his personality dosen't really strike me as someone who can be leading man at club like Real Madrid, as mentioned he can't speak Spanish fluently even after all these years. You obviously need to speak Spanish to be a leader.

Some players are better being supporting cast.

SAFMUTD

I hope for our sake that he doesn't come here, he is Woodward's wet dream but he is made of glass. Sure he is top class for 5-10 games a season, then gets injured and takes around 5-10 games to settle get another 5-10 good games and gets injured again.

He's not worth it, but I'm sure Woodward will try to sign him, hopefully get have a DOF by the summer and put some sense to it.

I think Madrid's only chance to offload him is PSG or Chelsea as a swap for Hazard.

How long is left in his contract? I see him staying to the eve of that, then going on a free and earning a fortune.

Can’t see any club fronting up anywhere from £60-100m for Bale, at his age, wage and injury record.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
How long is left in his contract? I see him staying to the eve of that, then going on a free and earning a fortune.

Can’t see any club fronting up anywhere from £60-100m for Bale, at his age, wage and injury record.

2022 as I think he signed for 6 years in 2016.

Maybe slightly wrong but either way they are lumbered with him for a while yet :)

Red00012

Bale is on 600K a week at Madrid he’s not going anywhere.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Not going anywhere.

With his injuries and the wages he is on, he is a liability. No one will pay a penny for him so he will sit on the bench at Real eating up a nice portion of their wage bill.

jesperjaap

Not going anywhere.

With his injuries and the wages he is on, he is a liability. No one will pay a penny for him so he will sit on the bench at Real eating up a nice portion of their wage bill.
Yes unless Real are prepared to offload him on the cheap to get him off the wage bill.....and lets face it there are very few clubs could afford him anyway, they are stuck with him. Hardly a liability, he does have the injury problems but he is still a great player. This is what I hate about Madrid and there demanding fans, they are so fickle. He has been so decisive in big games for them, if that was one of our players he would be backed....yet he gets booed. I remember them booing fat Ronaldo a lot too, also injury ravaged but for me one of the top five players (in fact talent wise probably second) I have seen in my lifetime

Redpimp

Bales is available now but we have no interest , according to various sources, and rightly so!

That ship has long sailed for him. We cannot sign a player who turned us down even once! Never ever!

Last edited by a moderator:

Judas

Open to offers
Bales is available now but we have no interest , according to various sources, and rightly so!

That ship has long sailed for him. We cannot sign a player who turned us down even once! Never ever!
Pretty sure thats not the reason, I also doubt the club views the world like a emo teenager.