What next for Mourinho?

Treble

The last 5 years have been the worst of his career, yet he he has won the EPL once. Come second in the EPL twice, won the Europa League, won the league cup twice and won the community shield twice. This is still far better than what 85-90% of top managers have won in the last 5 years.

Saying he is past it is stretching it. What I do agree with is that he needs to evolve, particularly with the way he handles the modern player otherwise it will be downhill from here.
He has achieved these things with some of the most expensive squads in the world, not with fecking Leicester. If you give him Bournemouth or Wolves, he won't fare better than their current managers. Whereas at Porto or Inter he could compete without having the best squad in Europe, it isn't the case anymore. He's finished. I think that he will get another chance at a relatively big club like Inter but I think he won't be good. He would want massive wages and I don't think that many clubs would be naive to agree with his demands.

Infra-red

Real Madrid is a possibility, otherwise one of the Milan clubs or Portugal.

I imagine he'll have a bit of time off first, given that we've just handed him £24m for the privilege of sacking him.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
Think he needs some time out of the game,recharge,up skill.
It will be interesting to see if if he will be successful again at another team if he is and we continue to struggle with managerial appointments then Utd could well be a poison chalice.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
He must be feeling great this morning. Weight off his shoulders, £24m in his pocket, finally able to leave that hotel.

It’s not over for him as a top level manager. Our club is simply cursed at the moment.

Raw

He needs some time out and not rush into another job so quickly. Just needs to enjoy football again, watch how the top clubs play these days and think on how to modernise his outdated tactics.

Wiesenlooser

Supports
Bayern Munich
Well, I always said that they would regret letting LvG go for Mourinho. Mourinho can never stay at a club for a longer time.

I think his prime days are over. He just left too many burned bridges.

hp88

He's done as a manager, think he should jet off somewhere sunny and retire.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I don't think a 'big club' will take him on. He's too expensive for smaller clubs and he won't lower his demands for the likes of West Ham. Guardiola won the war, Mourinho can manage the Portuguese national team in the forseeable future, especially after Ronaldo is gone, but otherwise he's at least not something special anymore and imo, he's got only himself to blame for it. What exactly did he do in the last couple of months, why oh why couldn't he get the likes of Pogba, Fred and Sanchez playing? Shamefull stuff, it really is.

Wiesenlooser

Supports
Bayern Munich
He's a bloody hero in Inter. And the league/country mentality still has space to accept someone with his profile.
The problem is, time has moved on. He doesn't seem to go well with younger / modern players and their attitude.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
The problem is, time has moved on. He doesn't seem to go well with younger / modern players and their attitude.
That is also correct. Players nowadays don't like totalitarian leaders like him. But I think at INter it might work: is a very similar situation where the squad is getting mature and they have no title winning experience. There's a good chance to work. But all depends on how he will relate with Icardi.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Take a sabbatical, reconsider his mindset, finetune his coaching skills, read up on managing today's generation of players, and then return to football.
A very wise assessment and for his sake I hope that he does something along those lines.

Champagne Football

He's already tactically a dinosaur and he only does well at clubs when he has 10 times more spending power than everyone else. No big clubs will touch him and I'd be amazed if Madrid are interested.
As soon as we gave him a 2 year extension he downed tools. He knew exactly what he was doing. Fancied his chances of one last monster pay day before heading into international management. He craves the attention so when he comes back - Portugal or Italy might be interested 6 months down the road.

Djemba-Djemba

He's too much of a stubborn narcissist to be self critical and try and change anything about his methods so I don't see him being any different at his next club.

His peak years are well and truly gone.

izec

Serie A or Portugal NT.

Real will be fine for a season or two as usual with Jose, and then end in tears. Not sure they would take him back again and experience the same cycle.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think he's done at top club level... I think only PSG might take a punt on him, and Inter would probably have him back too

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Anywhere far away from any comparison with Guardiola (on a daily basis) would suffice, i believe. At the pinnacle of his managerial career (treble with Inter) he chose to take on a suicidal mission against one of the greatest sides in the history of the sport. It was a war of attrition that ended with a Pyrrhic victory in 2012. This took its toll on him and left him with insecurities he still struggles to cope with.

Italy would be a good destination for him. At Inter (or Milan), he'll find the resources he needs in order to create a side able to throw the gauntlet down to Juve on a domestic level. I believe that his days in England are truly done after his second debacle at a big club. I don't think that PSG will be interested in him any time soon and i don't think that Mou's ego will "allow" him to manage a NT which is usually seen as a job "after retirement" for top managers.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Real or Inter, maybe even PSG.

People are kidding themselves if they think this was his last big gig, why do you think he's been constantly trying to deflect the blame all this time? So that it doesn't fall on him when he's inevitably gone.

Likes of Mark Hughes and Sam Allardyce continue to get gigs in PL still and a winner like Mourinho won't get a top job? :lol:

Wiesenlooser

Supports
Bayern Munich
Real or Inter, maybe even PSG.

People are kidding themselves if they think this was his last big gig, why do you think he's been constantly trying to deflect the blame all this time? So that it doesn't fall on him when he's inevitably gone.

Likes of Mark Hughes and Sam Allardyce continue to get gigs in PL still and a winner like Mourinho won't get a top job? :lol:
He failed at Chelsea and failed at United. He left scorched earth at Real. Besides Inter, I don't think any of the Big clubs would consider taking him back (Real maybe). Sooner or later he will run out of big clubs. Unless he wins the CL again his market value has decreased significantly.

OhGee

The FA should have a ruling against morons like this who deliberately jeopardize teams to get paid to get out of their contracts. Five years coaching in Siberia seems fair...

ash_86

Inter 100%. His recent jibe at Juventus might have secured the job for him

TGK

Supports
Liverpool
A course of therapy, and then a hobby, I'm thinking water colour landscape painting.

Then after a suitable time period a 'greeter' in a department store, with his winning smile and cheery disposition he'd be a natural.