What next for Mourinho?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by 2cents, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Oct 10, 2019

Schmeichel's Cartwheel Full Member

He's too expensive. Levy will go for a younger manager who isn't as well known.
  2. Oct 10, 2019

Smashin Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    No clue what club Mourinho is gonna go to but i'm pretty sure it will be better than Ole's next one.
  3. Oct 10, 2019

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018 Scout

Great insight.
  4. Oct 10, 2019

André Dominguez Full Member

Supports:
    Benfica, Académica
    That's a penalty, ref!
  5. Oct 10, 2019

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I can see legs in the Jose link, but only if the rumours about Jose changing his thought process and having new staff are true. There has been talk for a while that Levy has contacted Jose on a number of occasions about football matters.
  6. Oct 10, 2019

Dancfc Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    He just simply hasn't adapted his methods to the modern times, when teams commit to pressing his side's he has absolutely no answer and that started to become a problem even when he was still winning titles (ala ten man PSG outplaying and knocking out his Chelsea) and he hasn't adapted his man management methods either, the blood, guts, thunder and calling players every name under the sun to get a reaction era are (rightly or wrongly) long gone and it's something else he hasn't adapted too.

Maybe he will realise where he's going wrong and try to adapt his methods (numerous big clubs including Chelsea and Inter were looking for new managers in the summer and ignored him, if that isn't a kick up the backside for Jose and a realisation he needs to change then nothing will be) but after being stung with his words before it very much falls into the I'll believe when I see it category.
  7. Oct 10, 2019

Hisha Full Member

Do you really think that Jose will go to West Harm or to Crystal Palace? His next job, if it is in England, will surely be with a club where he will at least have a chance to compete with Pep and Klopp. He has so much pride and he will surely want to beat Pep and Klopp to the title. So, imo, he will come to England only if he can get a club which already has a descent team and enough money to build his own team. And this may be one of the main reason why he is still jobless. I don't think a manager like Jose will be out of offers. But he knows that his stock is going down and that he must win big on his next job. But at the same time, he is not like Pep who always looks for the safest option. So, imo, he is waiting for the right project in a competitive league.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  8. Oct 10, 2019

Idxomer Full Member

Everton. He was even flirting with them last year when he was still at United.
  9. Oct 10, 2019

Che Guevara New Member

Supports:
    Celtic
    Spurs look the favourites for Jose imo. He is determined to redeem himself in the PL after all the sackings. I can't see Poch lasting much longer unless he turns the team round, which looks unlikely on this form.
  10. Oct 10, 2019

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Apparently he already has, that's the only reason I see it having legs.
  11. Oct 10, 2019

Needham Full Member

On one matter only, how to be dire in your job and still walk away with 15 million.
  12. Oct 10, 2019

DoomSlayer Full Member

Spurs wouldn't touch Mourinho, it would be going backwards in terms of development. They can easily get an exciting progressive manager like Pochettino was seen back when he was at Southampton.

Mourinho will meltdown in mere months when he realises again that the likes of Pep and Klopp are well above him. It's his deepest fear, to be seen as an inferior coach.
  13. Oct 10, 2019

Said same things when ManUtd were looking to appoint him.
  14. Oct 10, 2019

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Yeah the old dog new tricks expression could be valid here.
  15. Oct 10, 2019

Dancfc Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    He said the same at both United and on his return to Chelsea.

In fairness I think he actually wants to adapt, he just doesn't really know how to. There must be a small part of him that now thinks what might have been if he did with De Bruyne and Salah what Lampard is doing now with Mount, Hudson Odoi and Tammy. With De Bruyne, Hazard and Salah and such a strong academy behind them he never had a better chance to build a long term dynasty than he did when returning to Chelsea, and he blew it.

I can't see him being any more patient at Spurs. To get Spurs to the top with their resources will take some patience over a number of years, will Mourinho be able to stay calm ride all the necessary punches while in the short term Pep and Klopp run away from sight and first and second, with quite possibly Lampard at Chelsea joining that group long before he does? He'd lose his shit more than ever before.
  16. Oct 10, 2019

OverratedOpinion Full Member

As I said, football is very cyclical.

You talk about him not knowing how to adapt but that is so ridiculous. If you think Jose Mourinho is not tactically astute enough to play a high energy pressing game then I don't know what to say to you. He won the league with Chelsea when they were not the best squad in the league and then his personality got in the way, judging from what came before and after he probably got Utd to overperform. Neither are his best showings but his fall from grace has definitely been over sold.

He probably needs to learn to play better with others and embrace a sporting director fully. Even if he doesn't I would challenge anyone to name 10 better football managers.
  17. Oct 10, 2019

Depends what's the period you are considering. If he go by last 3-4 years then there should be 10 better managers, ignoring the history and just 3-4 years performance.
  18. Oct 10, 2019

This is what Lyon President said, 'he has already chosen another club', so maybe Spurs or Everton.
  19. Oct 10, 2019

Misread your post initially.

I think to judge that you would have to get into a huge multi-variant analysis based on how stable the clubs he worked for were, how they performed before and after him, what effect the state he left on them were, how you actually judge success.

I see it as a mix between the qualities that has led him to incredible past success and the fact that I believe his performance in his last two jobs were nowhere near as bad as people would describe despite the fact I did want him gone towards the end at Utd.
  20. Oct 10, 2019

ottosec Full Member

I think he will do a very good job at a club like Everton, where he's undeniably the big dog and where there are no big players in the squad to challenge him.
  21. Oct 10, 2019

esmufc07 Won the Grand National Sweepstake once Scout

Knowing how highly Mourinho rates himself I just cannot see him going to Everton at all. Spurs perhaps, with the state of the other top clubs outside of City and Liverpool there is scope there, but then he'd definitely have a bust up with Levy.

As much as I wanted him gone at the end, I still hold Mourinho in high regard and it would be good to see him back at top level management. I imagine he will end up at PSG and win them the CL.
  22. Oct 10, 2019

Dancfc Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Then why hasn't he played a high energy proactive pressing game or atleast trained some attacking patterns that didn't revolve around give it to Hazard/Pogba and hope they conjure something up? Could have saved his job at both Chelsea and United.

He must have known with the young players at Chelsea and the players still to come up from the academy there was a serious chance of a footballing dynasty if he played his cards right, so why didn't he?

All managers have different strengths and weaknesses.
  23. Oct 10, 2019

Che Guevara New Member

Supports:
    Celtic
    There is no reason to think Jose is finished as a manager. I'm sure if he goes to a club that gives him the support and environment he needs to succeed he will do well. Although as a person he has a nasty side to his character he is still one of the best managers in the world. At the right club he will do well again.
  24. Oct 10, 2019

R'hllor Full Member

He might pick a team that didnt win for some time now, thats what he can offer, push and force a trophy run of some sorts, not talking about PL but you never know. He cant offer anything else, style of play, not to be a toxic cnut, not to pull out list of 2 min debuts, none of that.
  25. Oct 10, 2019

jderbyshire Full Member

Well Pochettino has been disgruntled over lack of investment in the squad.

Can you imagine Mourinho there??

Doubt it.
  26. Oct 10, 2019

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate Scout

And managers don't evolve forever, they all reach a point where they simply stay the same. And it's worth remembering that Mourinho started sooner than most.
  27. Oct 10, 2019

R'hllor Full Member

Because he doesnt believe in that, nor has a trust in youth in general. He rather play Ivanovic with 1/10 week in week out than put some kid instead and maybe save his job, at the time before sacking there were more positions than just RB but he kept playing his trusted seniors regardless of them back stabbing him or not.
  28. Oct 10, 2019

I think at Utd he was worried that our defenders were so poor that he had to set his entire team out to cover their deficiencies.

At Chelsea he still very much believed his style of play was the best route to success.
  29. Oct 10, 2019

They are spending money and few links with Everton. Also looks like that's the club who will sack their manager first and going by Lyon President, Jose has already decided on the club. You never know.
  30. Oct 10, 2019

Focusmate New Member

Supports:
    Non League
    I just cant see Mourinho managing in the premier league again.
    He has made it clear he is only interested if he can win. A project with the ambition and funds to win big trophys. He spat his dummy at United when he didnt get even more investment to challenge. That pretty much rules out anyone bar Liverpool, City and in theory, United again so realistically, nowhere to go.
    Think he would do well at Everton though.
  31. Oct 10, 2019

AlwaysRed66 Full Member

There are rumours in the press & comments about him coming back here. I shudder to believe it, but nothing would surprise me. perhaps all these comments from fans here about hiring Allegri have convinced the board they may as well get the real thing in Mourinho.
  32. Oct 10, 2019

Alvaro Maestre New Member

Welcome to Manchester United Jose Mourihno 2019/2020 { Highlights 4K -120FPS - Despasito Remix }
  33. Oct 10, 2019

Grande Full Member

Probably because you don’t need a predominantly high pressing game to succeed in football. You’re ‘play-it-to-Hazard’-line takes us nowhere, as it’s never been Mou’s mode.

What I agree with are that all managers have strengths and weaknesses, and to succeed they have to be allowed to build to their strengths and hide or defend their weaknesses. If board, staff or players confront their weaknesses, it will go pear shaped.
  34. Oct 10, 2019

horsechoker Sailor vee, this is a right off.

Fixed it for you.
  35. Oct 10, 2019

Skills Snitch

Nah I think you're getting it the wrong way around.

All managers have their strengths and weaknesses, and clubs need to hire the manager with the right strengths to coach the squad of players they have assembled.

The club should continue to add excellent players to that group, and it that manager is no longer a good fit they should be ready to move on.
  36. Oct 10, 2019

RedPed Full Member

He is exactly like Pep and will ONLY go for the safest option, which is why he is currently working for Sky. There are probably only 3 or 4 clubs that he thinks are 'worthy' of his services and befitting his status.
  37. Oct 10, 2019

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    I can see him at Spurs.

Maybe just in caretaker role until end of the season but he's already in London, knows Premier league inside out and well Spurs need to keep playing in CL to help finances with stadium move.

Actually think with Spurs squad it could work with them grinding out wins.

I do think they'll pick up though and Poch will stay until end of the season.
  38. Oct 10, 2019

R'hllor Full Member

People really have short memory when it comes to JM, i understand his followers who live in his rectum but dont get others.
  39. Oct 10, 2019

432JuanMata Full Member

I agree he was poor here but it doesn’t look that bad when you see where we are now.
  40. Oct 10, 2019

cjj New Member

Supports:
    Spurs
    I don't think he's ever been disgruntled about investment - he's been annoyed that we don't bring in players which are unrealistic. Lots of players like De Jong have come out and revealed they were offered good deals by spurs (something the papers never picked up on), so I expected Pochettino has AVB-syndrome - only wanting the players you can't realistically get.

For the most part, Pochettino's transfer history is chequered to say the least. He wouldn't get full transfer control anywhere.