Film What old movie or TV series could do with a remake / reboot?

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Well obviously Friends, but I'm not sure Chandler anno 2020 would work.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Would like to see them take another stab at I Am Legend. The book is so good, but the movie is shite. Well, the first 45 minutes are ok, but then it goes to shit.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Would like to see them take another stab at I Am Legend. The book is so good, but the movie is shite. Well, the first 45 minutes are ok, but then it goes to shit.
Would agree with this. Haven't read the book but it felt there was more to be had there. Seems like it can also be a lot more ominous than it already was.

Art Vandelay

Well obviously Friends, but I'm not sure Chandler anno 2020 would work.
Did Chandler ever work? The most unbelievable thing about that show was that no one beat him senseless. The only one of them I found remotely tolerable was Ross and that was only because he might possibly murder the rest of them.

Ideally I'd like them to stop remaking everything but if I had to pick one it would be Land of the Lost(think that's what it was called) with modern special effects and proper dinosaurs. Also I am Legend is a good shout, the book was great, the film was crap.

zing

Zingle balls
Unpopular opinion - Star Wars.

It'd be nice to see the originals with modern graphics.

Plus the universe is great, but the movies butchered many things(in the prequels and the Disney re-boot) which could do with a well written consistent story.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Unpopular opinion - Star Wars.

It'd be nice to see the originals with modern graphics.

Plus the universe is great, but the movies butchered many things(in the prequels and the Disney re-boot) which could do with a well written consistent story.
No,they're of their time. Leave them alone ! (again).

diarm

With the success of these Disney live action remakes in recent years, I'd say we'll see a load of similar attempts to tap into generational nostalgia with animated favourites like Animals of Farthing Wood, Brian Jacques Redwall series and my personal choice, if only for a return of the greatest theme song of all time (which will now be stuck in all of your heads for at least a week), Sharky and George.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Did Chandler ever work? The most unbelievable thing about that show was that no one beat him senseless. The only one of them I found remotely tolerable was Ross and that was only because he might possibly murder the rest of them.

Ideally I'd like them to stop remaking everything but if I had to pick one it would be Land of the Lost(think that's what it was called) with modern special effects and proper dinosaurs. Also I am Legend is a good shout, the book was great, the film was crap.
Didn't they do that like 10 years ago with Will Ferrell?

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
They should make World War Z as a tv show, it should never have been a film. It's a collection of short stories from different perspectives that come together to tell the whole story of a zombie apocalypse and it's very well done in that regard. The film was the complete opposite of that. Brad Pitt on a one man Hollywood hero mission to save the world. It just piggybacked on the title of a successful book and then went in a completely different direction.

Bocca9978

I really loved Quantum Leap when I was a kid.

i think a new version of that could work.
Was going to say the same. Glad it’s not just me.
The world could do with a feel good series.
Up to date effects would look great on this reboot.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I've always toyed with the ideaa of writing a remake of Flight of the Navigator (1986)

Best formula for a remake is a film that has an interesting idea but wasn't executed very well.

Not that it's a bad film, it's okay, but it's not that well remembered and it's over 30 years old so I'd say it's fair game.

A remake has apparently been stuck in development hell for years, but I'd do it as a mini-series aimed at adults rather than a Disney kids movie (the original).

vidic blood & sand

Would love to see Airwolf rebooted. As a kid I loved it, and after watching the series recently on bluray, I'm amazed how credible it looks making a 70s bell helicopter look like a stealth futuristic supersonic beast. I help develop equipment for Bell helicopters today, and often bring up the subject of the 222A with their developers. One thing must not change at all costs- the theme music.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I've always toyed with the ideaa of writing a remake of Flight of the Navigator (1986)

Best formula for a remake is a film that has an interesting idea but wasn't executed very well.

Not that it's a bad film, it's okay, but it's not that well remembered and it's over 30 years old so I'd say it's fair game.

A remake has apparently been stuck in development hell for years, but I'd do it as a mini-series aimed at adults rather than a Disney kids movie (the original).
Been meaning to re-watch this film for sometime.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
The Prisoner
Gunsmoke
Dark Shadows

Morpheus 7

100%, I couldn't get over how different the book was to the film. I seen the film first and by the first few pages I was completely gone from the movie. The setting, character and the self contained isolation and loneliness. Think you would not need a big budget either. You need like a indie director and strip down everything, concentrate on the internal monologue and inner torture of the character. Great shout.

hungrywing

They actually almost made that version with Arnold. (Close enough to it) This is from more than twenty years ago but like in the book
In the end he's captured and there are two factions: one led by a bloodthirsty demagogue who wants to ritually excise/torture/crucify him, and another that is aware of history and thus more intellectual and understanding. There's a scene where he sees their children in school studying absolutely horrifying and exaggerated depictions of himself. In the end one of the compassionate ones - IIRC not the woman - frees him at the cost of their own life, 'proving' to him that they're not just monsters but indeed a new sentient species capable of compassion that'll deal with the same issues humanity did. He escapes to his last-ditch option which is a boat stocked with supplies and starts across the sea.

Even the Will Smith version originally had 'the book ending' (and non-CGI zombies!)

The Saint.
You asked.

Would love to see Airwolf rebooted. As a kid I loved it, and after watching the series recently on bluray, I'm amazed how credible it looks making a 70s bell helicopter look like a stealth futuristic supersonic beast. I help develop equipment for Bell helicopters today, and often bring up the subject of the 222A with their developers. One thing must not change at all costs- the theme music.

Great shout this.

Another superb shout. I know I watched as a kid and loved it, but can barely remember the film now.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I actually liked the rather maligned remake of Solaris but wonder what someone else could do with the original story.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
What would you do with the original story.
I am bereft of ideas, mate.
I did wonder, though, if another remake might ramp up the spookiness - for instance, I found Natascha McElhone creepy, despite her charms & her status as an innocent victim of circumstance. She unsettled me, even if that wasn't the director's intention.