What percentage of games are you willing to write off if we play good football?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
A feature of United until recently has been the ability to get results despite not playing well.

While it's great to win games, this can come to a devastating end when the winning stops and the play is awful.

With that said, how many bad results would you accept if we gradually develop a strong style of play?

I doubt anyone would accept us losing every game even if we play well, but would you accept losing 20% of the remaining games, 30, 50, more than 50%?

Zlatanator

I would like to see a steady rise rather than a quick bounce and a sudden drop that we saw throughout Ole's tenure.

Jezpeza

I feel its a strange question. I think that If you look at the remaining games 15% is about 4 games. We cant lose loads of games we need to be top 4, not 12th.

Its absolutely no good losing a load of games playing ‘good football’. Bournemouth did that and went down the other year.

What constitutes ‘good football’ anyway? If its just nice passing and lots of pointless possession to me thats rubbish because LVG did that and it was soul destroying. If you are losing lots of games its either because you cant score, cant defend or both. Thats not good football to me.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Finish 4th whilst playing good, exciting football will do for this season. The top 3 speaks for itself sadly.

Cup runs a bonus.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
26 PL games to play for. Season is not a write off. And when a team plays well more often than not it wins. That's the normal.

tenpoless

Top Reds like me never write anything off. We can sit at the bottom with Moyes in charge and i would still be singing come on David Moyes, play like Ole's boys.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I find that a bizarre question. It implies that playing good football somehow necessitates writing off games? Why?

Andy_Cole

If we can implement a system in the league and in essence write the season off. But then we play to win in the cups. Give us a fighting chance of a trophy. Then I’d be happy with that.

League 6th
CL Winner

Laughing.

Oranges038

26 games left. He needs to win at least 18 of them to ensure that this shower have a chance of making the Champions league again next year.

So at a minimum, he can only afford to lose or not win 8 games. That's how many I'd be willing to write off, whatever 8 is as a % of 26.

tomaldinho1

Or Ragnick arrives, realises quite quickly the 'control' Woodward promised him is hot air and he quits by Christmas...

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Gegenpress isn't good football. Its long balls, its fitness over skill and the pressing is on the edge of whats a foul and what's not.

We are abandoning any hope of good football( which we haven't really had since around 2006-2008 anyway) for success.

Skills

Snitch
We've already written off as much as we can this season thanks to OGS

Jezpeza

26 games left. He needs to win at least 18 of them to ensure that this shower have a chance of making the Champions league again next year.

So at a minimum, he can only afford to lose or not win 8 games. That's how many I'd be willing to write off, whatever 8 is as a % of 26.
maybe a bit more even. West hams current PPG will see them hit 69 (whey) after 36 games. And Arteta and Conte might surprise us yet. Going to be tight.

KingCavani

Trying to play football and failing is every bit as frustrating as failing any other way.

I want to see progress more than just results - Not necessarily in terms of beautiful football - I want to see ideas and a clear plan of action being put into place that a successor can build upon. Enough of the mindless individualism.

I find that a bizarre question. It implies that playing good football somehow necessitates writing off games? Why?
No. but it’s good to get this in. Would hate for us to lose or draw despite obviously playing good football, or more realistically considering short time frame for signs of what we’re trying to achieve to be obvious, and for Scholes et al to go on tv with a sour face talking about “what’s changed” just weeks or months into Rangnick’s or his successor taking charge.

Lentwood

What's 'good football'?

I know City fans who are bored to tears by how they play...but sure the vast majority would swap!

Likewise, I used to go to United every week in the noughties and sometimes I would actually hope we went a goal or two down, just to add a bit of excitement. I barely remember any of the games we coasted to 3-0 wins, but I do vividly remember the 5-2 win against Spurs and the game we came from 0-1 against Blackburn to win 4-1 during the title run-in.

Truth is, 'good football' is usually winning and everything else isn't tolerated

Gegenpress isn't good football. Its long balls, its fitness over skill and the pressing is on the edge of whats a foul and what's not.

We are abandoning any hope of good football( which we haven't really had since around 2006-2008 anyway) for success.
Last time United played good football where we outplayed top teams was 1999. 2006-2008 was entertaining solely because of the front 3, mostly when they hit team teams on the break. The midfield was really not all that. Because Scholes and Giggs were old, Keane never replaced or replacements never worked out.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
No. but it’s good to get this in. Would hate for us to lose or draw despite obviously playing good football, or more realistically considering short time frame for signs of what we’re trying to achieve to be obvious, and for Scholes et al to go on tv with a sour face talking about “what’s changed” just weeks or months into Rangnick’s or his successor taking charge.
I would say that there's a stronger correlation between playing well and winning than between playing poorly and winning. You will always lose games, but of course it's worse to lose after playing poorly because it implies that, well, you deserve to lose.

Unless I misunderstand the concept and "good football" is some sort of style, whether implemented successfully or not. For me, good football can come in a variety of styles.

KingCavani

Last time United played good football where we outplayed top teams was 1999. 2006-2008 was entertaining solely because of the front 3, mostly when they hit team teams on the break. The midfield was really not all that. Because Scholes and Giggs were old, Keane never replaced or replacements never worked out.
06/07 was the best football United ever played by far IMO.

We were naive though and got exposed by AC Milan, the injuries in defence didn’t help.

The 2008 team was similar but more disciplined. Had a far more effective way of playing.

I would say that there's a stronger correlation between playing well and winning than between playing poorly and winning. You will always lose games, but of course it's worse to lose after playing poorly because it implies that, well, you deserve to lose.
Of course. But in the early days when there’s a radical change in style results can suffer, or the team loses points and people point rightfully or wrongfully point to kinks in the system that need to be ironed out eg Klopp & Pep first year etc but on the flip side in Biesla first year he took a mid table Leeds to one goal from qualification. Although now they’re struggling it’s his system that people are blaming, I personally think he just doesn’t have enough good players. No matter how good the driver, put him in a 1.0 fiesta only so much he can do.

Gizzyspop

Good football is winning. No one would care if LVG or Jose won titles with there style of football.

Some of the football we played for the years after Ronaldo left was horrible to watch but we kept winning, no one cared.

OleBoiii

Jokes aside: if you don't get results, then the football is not good. Entertaining? Highly organised? Sure. But not good.

Van Gaal's football was highly organised, you know...

Hammondo

I don't care about this season. We need a footballing culture change, if the new manager brings that then I can sacrifice seasons to progress the club to catch up to other clubs.

06/07 was the best football United ever played by far IMO.

We were naive though and got exposed by AC Milan, the injuries in defence didn’t help.

The 2008 team was similar but more disciplined. Had a far more effective way of playing.
I think in those years our midfield was still sub par and against top teams we’d make concession to try and win. Whereas in 99 we pretty much outplayed everyone, even a Bayern in the group stages without injuries.