Other What phone should I buy

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
Sorry to hijack this thread but it seems better this way than to create a similar thread. My current phone is basically just a brick at this point and I need to get a new one soon. Basically what I've pared it down to is one that is 500 euros or less, really good battery life so I don't have to charge it every half hour, equally good performance, not too bulky though it's general aesthetic isn't too important and the display should be high HD quality.. The camera isn't the most important aspect but for what I'd be paying, I'd like to have the ability to get good quality pictures even though I don't neccessarily take photos all that often anyway.

So far I've considered the Google Pixel 4a, the Samsung Galaxy A71, the OnePlus Nord N10 and the Oppo Reno 4 Pro. Does anyone have any advice as to which is the more likely to suit my needs and does anyone have any more suggestions outside of these ones? Also if anyone has any experience with these, can you tell me which ones are the most reliable and least likely to completely crap themselves in a matter of weeks?

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Sorry to hijack this thread but it seems better this way than to create a similar thread. My current phone is basically just a brick at this point and I need to get a new one soon. Basically what I've pared it down to is one that is 500 euros or less, really good battery life so I don't have to charge it every half hour, equally good performance, not too bulky though it's general aesthetic isn't too important and the display should be high HD quality.. The camera isn't the most important aspect but for what I'd be paying, I'd like to have the ability to get good quality pictures even though I don't neccessarily take photos all that often anyway.

So far I've considered the Google Pixel 4a, the Samsung Galaxy A71, the OnePlus Nord N10 and the Oppo Reno 4 Pro. Does anyone have any advice as to which is the more likely to suit my needs and does anyone have any more suggestions outside of these ones? Also if anyone has any experience with these, can you tell me which ones are the most reliable and least likely to completely crap themselves in a matter of weeks?
Pixel 4a would me my choice.

The A71 has a better screen and a bit more battery life, but it's a huge phone.

The Chinese ones, might sound good on paper, good hardware, etc, but they usually don't perform as good as expected. Too much software bloatware and their cameras are crap.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
You know I've been towards the Pixel 4a myself over the last few minutes and it seems the best choice. Its battery life is shorter than the A71 which was a concern but I suppose it's not so bad that it's not so bad that it's rendered unusable plus its performance is apparently very good so I suppose that's the choice I'll make. Thanks for the tip.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
I don't need to strictly stick to a budget but I've got 500 in my head and while I can make a few allowances above that, I'm not really into getting into the 600 range.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I have used the one plus 5T for 3 years now and it's been absolutely incredible. I think One plus phones are great and very reliable. Pixel will have the better camera & stock android but I think one plus is better value for money in most aspects

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
I have used the one plus 5T for 3 years now and it's been absolutely incredible. I think One plus phones are great and very reliable. Pixel will have the better camera & stock android but I think one plus is better value for money in most aspects
Yeah, another that I kept an eye on was the OnePlus 8 and the casing looks absolutely delicious. I'm just curious how it performs next to the Pixel 4 in terms of processing and display power.

luke511

Stay on a 4G phone for as long as you can. 5G isn't good for the testicles.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
Well my testicles aren't exactly gonna be much use to anyone anyway so it's not that much of a loss.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xiaomi-128GB-Twilight-Grey(UK-VERSION)/dp/B08814LC74?ref_=ast_sto_dp

The Xiaomi Mi 10

But before you pull the trigger, wait a couple of weeks. Samsung are announcing their new lineup on 14 January. When those are released, the previous generation will drop in price.
That's an interesting choice to be sure. Looks like a hefty phone with some good processing power and a fantastic battery life. But it doesn't seem to measure up to the more inexpensive phones that provide a little more for less. I'm also not keen on waiting for prices to drop as I really do need a phone as soon as possible given my current one no longer decides to function as it should. I think I've decided on what I'm going with at this point as well. Thanks for the advice anyway.

Also seems like a waste to have put up these posts while already deciding what I was going with but I was trying to push my anxiety over the quality of any new phone aside and just had to push myself to make a decision. I do appreciate the feedback though.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Can someone help me?

I heard that Huawei phones were banned in America when Trump was the president due to some problems with China.

Im currently abroad and want to buy a Huawei phone - but I have heard that this could potentially not work in England as well.

Will it work in England or not?

Abizzz

Can someone help me?

I heard that Huawei phones were banned in America when Trump was the president due to some problems with China.

Im currently abroad and want to buy a Huawei phone - but I have heard that this could potentially not work in England as well.

I don't know about the England thing (thanks to covid) but I'm not happy with my Huawei. It's screen is developing bubbles and it randomly restarts every couple of weeks for some updates at times that don't suit me (granted this could probably be fixed). I'm going back to samsung when i'm done with this one. Basically bought it to stick two fingers to Trump too so no reason to do it again.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I don't know about the England thing (thanks to covid) but I'm not happy with my Huawei. It's screen is developing bubbles and it randomly restarts every couple of weeks for some updates at times that don't suit me (granted this could probably be fixed). I'm going back to samsung when i'm done with this one. Basically bought it to stick two fingers to Trump too so no reason to do it again.
Okay thanks! I always liked trying different brands like HTC for example

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
At high doses all EMR radiation can reduce sperm motility but human studies (not lab/animal tests) don't find a correlation between mobile phone use and fertility issues in real life. I also haven't seen any evidence that 5G is any different to 4G in this regard.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
What about the ovaries ?
No convincing evidence of human harm as far as I'm aware. Most studies on sperm are done on animals in labs so the dosage and effects are probably not representative of what happens in real life with humans which is why phone use hasn't been found to correlate with fertility issues. If there are any studies that show potential harm to ovaries I'd guess as they are more shielded that the same would also be true.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Can someone help me?

Oppo as well are the latest thing. Although i would get a samsung.

kiristao

I was so looking forward to the OnePlus 9. Been using my OnePlus 6 for 3 years now and it has been brilliant.

But the 9 has been extremely disappointing. Thinking of shifting to Samsung. I love the OnePlus UI over Samsung but there are too many flaws in the OnePlus 9 for me to overlook simply because I love it's OS.

Probably go for the S20FE or might wait for the S21FE. Any other suggestions?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I was so looking forward to the OnePlus 9. Been using my OnePlus 6 for 3 years now and it has been brilliant.

But the 9 has been extremely disappointing. Thinking of shifting to Samsung. I love the OnePlus UI over Samsung but there are too many flaws in the OnePlus 9 for me to overlook simply because I love it's OS.

Probably go for the S20FE or might wait for the S21FE. Any other suggestions?
Wait for the Pixel 6? Looks juicy.