Other What phone should I buy

AaronRedDevil

Looking to replace my Samsung A6 I’ve had for 2 years. Still doing great and love the battery life. But I’m looking for a Samsung phone with a great camera and isn’t too expensive. Bought an huawei for someone else and the camera is brilliant. Make the colours pop out out of the picture. I Was going to get the Samsung S20 fe for 400 and now the price has gone back up to 800, I was really going for it. Might try for the 4G version, is there any difference?

Right now I’m moving towards The samsung A51, looks like it ticks all the boxes. My top price is 400 or 450 max.

Last edited:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I’ve always had iPhones. Due an upgrade so went to have a quick look online yesterday at the latest but theres about 5 different iPhones ffs, 11, 12, lettered ones I’ve no idea what they mean.

I don’t know why they just don’t keep it simple, I can’t be arsed to be researching mobile phones

Acole9

Outstanding
I'd stick with Samsung, never had a problem with them.

Kaos

I’ve always had iPhones. Due an upgrade so went to have a quick look online yesterday at the latest but theres about 5 different iPhones ffs, 11, 12, lettered ones I’ve no idea what they mean.

I don’t know why they just don’t keep it simple, I can’t be arsed to be researching mobile phones
They're just iterative releases. 12 is the newest, X is 10 (no idea why they went roman numeral for that one). Pros are the pricier models with the nicer cameras, and max just means bigger screen size. Nothing wrong with giving consumers a choice of models. I personally find it easier to understand than Samsung's bizarre combination of letters and numbers in their model names.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Get a Xiaomi. They're great phones, and when you factor in the price they're nuts. The Redmi Note 5 I've had for over two years is just as good as when I got it, it might even be better somehow.

Edit: Oh I just saw you want a Samsung.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
They're just iterative releases. 12 is the newest, X is 10 (no idea why they went roman numeral for that one). Pros are the pricier models with the nicer cameras, and max just means bigger screen size. Nothing wrong with giving consumers a choice of models. I personally find it easier to understand than Samsung's bizarre combination of letters and numbers in their model names.
Fair enough, I just had a quick look and seen that the 11 was maybe worse than the 10 screen/camera which threw me and the 12 was pricey and then the pro and then I gave up.

Flying high

Get a Xiaomi. They're great phones, and when you factor in the price they're nuts. The Redmi Note 5 I've had for over two years is just as good as when I got it, it might even be better somehow.

Edit: Oh I just saw you want a Samsung.
That's good to hear. Just bought 2 of the note 9s for the kids.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I have a samsung as well and it is brilliant.

Try and get fast charging as well. It only takes 40 minutes to charge my phone to 90%.

Tiber

I got a Samsung S20 Fe yesterday. 0 up front, 45 GB of data, £30 per month.

I'm not very original with phones though. I had an S2, S4, S7 edge, S9+ and now S20

Last edited:

passing-wind

One plus Nord very good android model. A71 is a decent choice mind you the screen is large. Personally think Samsung S and note series has been lacking the last few years. Notable differences in the camera but hardly any innovation. Apple are in exactly the same boat, the phone market can be unpredictable they need to beef up their ideas just look at Nokia

Last edited:

Deery

Dreary
Don’t buy refurbished off Amazon anyway had a nightmare with my iPhone 8 and had to send it back.

Carphone Warehouse does them just as cheap, the XR probably cheaper now as well..

Red_toad

12 or 12 mini, depending how big you like your phone. SE if you're looking for a lower budget. All other phones they have are old models.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I got the iPhone 11 Pro 512g during the summer. Best battery (by far) and camera on an iphone I’ve seen. It also fully charges in about 30 mins. Much Improved screen resolution and speakers and enough space for years of photos. I haven’t checked out the 12 yet. The 11 pro is a Cool phone that is dropping in price now. I’ll most likely hold onto for a few years as it does what I need very well.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
As someone who was s lifelong iphone user this year was the first time i defected from Apple. I went for the S20 plus and it is an unbelievable phone. I love it. It ticks all the boxes.

AaronRedDevil

As someone who was s lifelong iphone user this year was the first time i defected from Apple. I went for the S20 plus and it is an unbelievable phone. I love it. It ticks all the boxes.
Yeah I'm actually looking at the S20 myself. Looks like a great one to get. I'll definitely check it out once the stores open. My only gripe is why are these phones so bloody long. 6.5in while my is a good 6in. (My phone you dirty feckers)

Abizzz

Bought a Huwai about a year ago, basically to stick two fingers to Trump and Pompeo, but I don't think I'll buy another soon. The display is developing weird bubbles, as if I hadn't removed the factory protection and air had come underneath it. Only I did remove it and that air is under another layer I can't seem to remove. If I bothered there'd probably be a cheap way to fix it, but as someone who never breaks stuff, displays included, I have no expierence nor inclination to start messing around with it. I'll just go back to Samsung once it starts annoying me too much.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What do people recommend for phones with great cameras? Mid to high end, not necessarily the top range. Don't really want to spend >£1k on a phone to be honest.

iammemphis

What do people recommend for phones with great cameras? Mid to high end, not necessarily the top range. Don't really want to spend >£1k on a phone to be honest.
Samsung s20 plus, records and takes photos in 4k. Stunning OLED display too to show it off.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
If you want a mid range phone with a great camera then Pixel is probably the best. A mid range phone with a great battery, Samsung has covered off with a lot of phones and the onePlus Nord is probably the best.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I would like to move away from Apple but when all the kids/ family/ relatives have iPhones and iPads it just keeps it much more simple to text and call each other if I stick to iPhone, I don’t care about phones that much, decent screen and camera and I’m done

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Pixel 4a seems to be considered the best €400 phone you can buy right now.

Then probably the S20 FE 5G if you stretch to around 600.

iammemphis

I would like to move away from Apple but when all the kids/ family/ relatives have iPhones and iPads it just keeps it much more simple to text and call each other if I stick to iPhone, I don’t care about phones that much, decent screen and camera and I’m done
I get that. I was already using spotify and had to tell all of my family and friends to text me with whatsapp now, which is now fine. There really was nothing left tying me to iphones anymore and when i needed to upgrade i simply refused to pay the extortionate prices for iphones compared to the deals i could get with the S20 plus. My partner still uses iPhone because she has a rather extensive iTunes music and video library.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Was thinking about getting that but the 4G version.
Mm not really getting the same bang for your buck. The 5G version uses the Snapdragon 865 whereas the 4G uses Samsung's own Exynos chip which is worse in pretty much every way. Worse photo processing, worse battery life, worse gaming performance. I mean it's still a really high end chip but I'd pay extra for the 5G version if you can.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Samsung s20 plus, records and takes photos in 4k. Stunning OLED display too to show it off.
If you want a mid range phone with a great camera then Pixel is probably the best. A mid range phone with a great battery, Samsung has covered off with a lot of phones and the onePlus Nord is probably the best.
Pixel 4a seems to be considered the best €400 phone you can buy right now.

Then probably the S20 FE 5G if you stretch to around 600.
Thanks guys, appreciate it. Will check them out.

AaronRedDevil

Mm not really getting the same bang for your buck. The 5G version uses the Snapdragon 865 whereas the 4G uses Samsung's own Exynos chip which is worse in pretty much every way. Worse photo processing, worse battery life, worse gaming performance. I mean it's still a really high end chip but I'd pay extra for the 5G version if you can.
I really want the 5G, but it’s damn expensive. Found one for 480 on eglobal so might try that. Or just wait for another sale and hope for the best.

Last edited:

Chipper

Adulterer.
That's good to hear. Just bought 2 of the note 9s for the kids.
Ordered the note 9 pro for my brother's Christmas present this afternoon. Went with mi.com and they included a free power bank but was hearing mixed things about their delivery/general customer service and cancelled, buying it on Amazon instead for the same price (£159). It's coming Monday and I'd rather have that certainty than guess when it will show up, their own warehouse is in France I believe.

GazTheLegend

This

Google pixels are badass phones. Durable as well which surprised me - they FEEL cheap but that doesn't bother me at least, it's functional.

Tiber

Mobile phones direct have a great deal on the S20+ at the moment. 41 quid a month for the phone and a bonkers 240 gb of data

It actually works out cheaper than buying the phone upfront which is unusual. I ordered it myself but had to cancel as they were out of stock of the black one and as my old phone was totally broken I couldn't wait a week for more stock.

£41 is a decent chunk of change, but the S20+ is probably the best phone on the market atm.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Looking to replace my Samsung A6 I’ve had for 2 years. Still doing great and love the battery life. But I’m looking for a Samsung phone with a great camera and isn’t too expensive. Bought an huawei for someone else and the camera is brilliant. Make the colours pop out out of the picture. I Was going to get the Samsung S20 fe for 400 and now the price has gone back up to 800, I was really going for it. Might try for the 4G version, is there any difference?

Right now I’m moving towards The samsung A51, looks like it ticks all the boxes. My top price is 400 or 450 max.
Got my son a refurbed Galaxy S9 from the GiffGaff site.

Really impressed with the speed of it and the look.... hasn't got a mark on it. (They grade them and I'd say they're on the cautious side)

Tiber

Got my son a refurbed Galaxy S9 from the GiffGaff site.

Really impressed with the speed of it and the look.... hasn't got a mark on it. (They grade them and I'd say they're on the cautious side)
My last phone was an S9. Nearly three years of sterling service before it fell apart, cracking phone. Though any Galaxy is great.

My only concern with buying a refurb phone would be the battery, they really aren't the same after a while. It's a shame they are such a chore to replace these days

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
My last phone was an S9. Nearly three years of sterling service before it fell apart, cracking phone. Though any Galaxy is great
My wife and her sister have had Samsung's for years and swear by them, I was pleasantly surprised by my lads. I've always been a Motorola fan ... had G5 and now G6, does the job for me.

Can't get my head around paying a grand for an iPhone... it's a phone?

AaronRedDevil

About to get a new phone after new year. What's the difference with 4g and 5g? Getting the Samsung Galaxy FE. 5G is probably out of my price range.