What Punishment?

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
What will our punishment be? What should it be? I can't see a point deduction this season, as that would be an invitation to fans of clubs just missing out on promotion, relegation, or whatever to protest at a rival club, in their colours of course. Minus 10 pts next season then, or worse?

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Why would the club be punished for something out of their control?

Idxomer

What's it with our fans wanting to punish the team?

Nothing will happen, maybe some fine and that's it.

acnumber9

At absolute worst we’ll have to forfeit the game. Never in a million years will there be any points deductions.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Hopefully it's just a fine. That would punish the Glazers without punishing the team.

If it did end up being a forfeit, a points deduction or something like that then that's hardly something we could complain about though. We can justify the protests all we want but that sort of response to fans invading the ground and forcing a match into being postponed wouldn't be particularly inappropriate, especially in the current context where it wouldn't take much for other fans to follow suit and they'll feed the need to discourage that from happening. If you're going to protest in this way then the consequences come with the territory. Something to bear in mind if the protests continue.

The most important thing in terms of punishment is that the likes of whoever injured the police officer are caught and prosecuted.

The Substitute

It will never be a forfeit, not only is it too harsh on the club, but more importantly its severely unfair to rivals competing with Liverpool on the league table

dove

Probably a small fine. No chance we will have to forfeit a game, why would they do that for the league's most watched fixture? Makes no sense. Nothing substantial is going to happen.

RUCK4444

What's it with our fans wanting to punish the team?

Nothing will happen, maybe some fine and that's it.
I swear some would like us to have a fine, points deduction and for those scary football fans to never protest ever again... ffs.

clarkydaz

Hopefully it's just a fine. That would punish the Glazers without punishing the team.

If it did end up being a forfeit, a points deduction or something like that then that's hardly something we could complain about though. We can justify the protests all we want but that sort of response to fans invading the ground and forcing a match into being postponed wouldn't be particularly inappropriate, especially in the current context where it wouldn't take much for other fans to follow suit and they'll feed the need to discourage that from happening. If you're going to protest in this way then the consequences come with the territory.

The most important thing in terms of punishment is that the likes of whoever injured the police officer are caught and prosecuted.
Hmm, what would the glazers do when given financial contsraints? Almost like they would put that burden on the club

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Hmm, what would the glazers do when given financial contsraints? Almost like they would put that burden on the club
Yeah, I know it wouldn't come out of their own pocket. But still, it would impose less on the actual footballing side of things.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
The obsession by some of our own fans about us being punished is really strong. Same with the ESL when they wanted United to get punished. Seems like some don’t want to see the current manager / team to succeed at all.

Roboc7

It’s going to be a fine for security breach and that’s it. People panicking about a points deduction is ridiculous.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Have there been point deductions in the past as result of crowd trouble? I’m sure there has been but cannot recall

Obviously not comparing extrem times like the European ban in the 80’s

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I'm thinking 3-6 points deduction, probably from the start of next season.

A police officer had their face slashed and more importantly (from the Premier League's viewpoint) their product was disrupted. The biggest match they have wasn't able to be shown. Their advertisers and the companies they sell the rights to worldwide won't stand for this and the league will bow to them because they have the money.

We're gonna be made an example of.

Jev

I could see us getting away with a fine because it's ESL related and the Premier League won't want it to look like they gave a harsh punishment for an anti-ESL protest.

A points deduction next season would seem very unreasonable to me. I have no idea what rules apply here but my guess right now would be a fine and possibly a game behind closed doors next season.

SuperiorXI

All I'll say is look what happened after the ESL, no punishment. If you think they'll do anything after this you're mad as a box of frogs.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

FA should investigate our finances and force owners to find a buyer if they find any irregularities.
In reality, we'll most likely end up with a slap on the wrist.

Hester_manc

With reports that police officers have been assaulted with bottles and a policeman has been admitted to hospital, I will not be surprised if the match is completely canceled and Liverpool get the 3 points. In addition, there must be a large fine.

The Purley King

Any punishment is fine, “literally whatever” as my daughter is fond of saying.
The future of our game is at stake here and this is only the opening salvo.
ESL or any bastardised version of it will kill the game we all love. It must be fought at any cost of “punishment “

Edit - through peaceful means I mean

Dan_F

Points taken away for fans protesting? They barely hand out fines for racism. The club can’t really do too much more security wise, that was a police operation.

OmarUnited4ever

There is literally zero mention of any sort of punishment for Manchester United, only the game is postponed, this is a protest that happened outside the club's premises and some of those protestors managed to invade the pitch, this is totally outside of the club's control.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
If it’s above a fine then it’s an absolute joke, knowing the FA and the raging hard on to punish us then probably points deduction. The media will probably push for it.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Anything beyond making us play in our infamous grey kits till the end of the season would be a farce.

Amir

I don't know what the Premier League rules say. I think the game should be played, as football people should aspire for results to be decided on the pitch, but I could understand if we had points deducted. We had a duty to host the game and failed to do so.

vidic blood & sand

What will our punishment be? What should it be? I can't see a point deduction this season, as that would be an invitation to fans of clubs just missing out on promotion, relegation, or whatever to protest at a rival club, in their colours of course. Minus 10 pts next season then, or worse?
I think there is a moral aspect here. If we were deducted points for what happened today, all the clubs in the football league and all the fans would be on our side.
Nothing will happen. However, any violence today needs to be dealt with appropriately. I heard that a policeman was hurt, that is not acceptable.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
One year suspension from European football.