What Punishment?

I don't see how United can be punished for this.

The official reason for the game being cancelled was security concerns. The club can't be punished for a mass protest against the club.

It's clear that United wanted the game to go ahead and ouside factors prevented it from happening.

It will end up that the club work with the police to identify as many of the protesters as possible and they will get life time football banning orders.

United will probably have to pay GMP for the extra resources required at the stadium today.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
If it’s above a fine then it’s an absolute joke, knowing the FA and the raging hard on to punish us then probably points deduction. The media will probably push for it.
Middlesboro were deducted points for having an injury crisis. And I think it’s the club’s responsibility to fulfil a fixture, and to control their players and fans, whatever that means. If ever a points deduction was deserved it’s now. The big shame for me is that what the fans were protesting against was entirely justified, but the actions weren’t. I can’t see how the PL can allow fans to stop a fixture to protest against their board, it would be a horrendous precedent to set. So I expect them to come down and come down hard.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
RAWK doing a RAWK and failing to support a wider cause, and rather push a narrative to have us forfeit and docked points.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Middlesboro were deducted points for having an injury crisis. And I think it’s the club’s responsibility to fulfil a fixture, and to control their players and fans, whatever that means. If ever a points deduction was deserved it’s now. The big shame for me is that what the fans were protesting against was entirely justified, but the actions weren’t. I can’t see how the PL can allow fans to stop a fixture to protest against their board, it would be a horrendous precedent to set. So I expect them to come down and come down hard.
Middlesbrough were deducted points for failing to turn up to a game and also for failing to inform the PL, not for having an injury crisis.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
But they did try to fulfill it? Should they have shot the fans on site instead? I mean what else could they have possible done to fulfil it?

It’s man united so I fully expect a points deduction or something absurd.

RedRover

I don't see how United can be punished for this.

The official reason for the game being cancelled was security concerns. The club can't be punished for a mass protest against the club.

It's clear that United wanted the game to go ahead and ouside factors prevented it from happening.

It will end up that the club work with the police to identify as many of the protesters as possible and they will get life time football banning orders.

United will probably have to pay GMP for the extra resources required at the stadium today.
People were able to get into the stadium, during a global pandemic when it’s clearly supposed to be secure. That’s the club’s fault. They’ll use that as the reason for coming down hard in the hope that this doesn’t happen again elsewhere. The PL have to set a precedent.

I find it mad that they could just walk in? If it’s not secure now, when is it? Someone could take anything in there. Crazy.

dalriada

There's a big difference between what normal people think is fair and reasonable and what the FA, which is a law unto itself, will do. On past form, though, expect a fine for something along the lines of inadequate security or failing to control their fans (even though they weren't attending a match). Even that would be unjust, as they were trying to prevent a match, not attend it.

Forfeit could come into it if a new date can't be found because of the fixture congestion, but that would surely raise complaints from clubs who stand to lose from Liverpool being awarded the points. A points deduction would be very harsh, but don't count it out with the FA. If that happens, the protestors really will have shot us in the foot.

Can't understand people on this forum and commentators like Neville who seem to want the club to be punished to get at the owners. It appeases their consciences while it punishes the players and the fans more than the owners.

JB7

Ultimately the game was cancelled as it was deemed unsafe for the two clubs coaches to travel to the stadium. All the best punishing Manchester United for that.

rooney2009

Punishment for saving English fans???
The fans have basically saved English football from greedy owners and the dodgy super league

Skills

Snitch
Points deduction that results in Ole missing out on top 4, thus getting sacked?

Imagine the storylines - Utd fans directly get the fan favourite manager sacked. Would be an amazon prime documentary worthy :drool:

McTerminator

Get a grip. If they deduct points from the team (which they know will hurt the fans protesting) they are basically picking a side which they cannot afford to do. They’ve no love for the Glazers... the club will be fined and this will be swept under the carpet. End of.

Gandalf

To those saying that the club is responsible because they had 2 weeks to prepare, the same logic applies to the Police. This was not exactly a surprise but possibly people were caught cold because the protests at the London clubs involved a bunch of Pimms sipping southerners, not the scariest sight in the world. Truthfully though, we have been seething for 16 years and there is a hell of a lot of pent up rage at the owners here which just doesn't exist to the same degree elsewhere. I would have thought local Police would have been more switched on but in all probability the Glazers were likely too cheap to pay for extra Policing and in fairness why should the whole City foot the bill for all the overtime.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
The obsession by some of our own fans about us being punished is really strong. Same with the ESL when they wanted United to get punished. Seems like some don’t want to see the current manager / team to succeed at all.
Yeah I noticed this during the ESL. It's totally bizarre to me and I don't get it all.

Why would the team be punished? We've had crowd invasions onto the pitch in the past before DURING games, not two hours before.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'm thinking 3-6 points deduction, probably from the start of next season.

A police officer had their face slashed and more importantly (from the Premier League's viewpoint) their product was disrupted. The biggest match they have wasn't able to be shown. Their advertisers and the companies they sell the rights to worldwide won't stand for this and the league will bow to them because they have the money.

We're gonna be made an example of.
So the club will be punished for something that they were against in the first place? Or do you think the club will be punished for following police advice and calling off the game to ensure player safety?

Red00012

A police officer had their face slashed and more importantly (from the Premier League's viewpoint) their product was disrupted. The biggest match they have wasn't able to be shown. Their advertisers and the companies they sell the rights to worldwide won't stand for this and the league will bow to them because they have the money.

2 chances of that happening

I don’t think there will be points deducted.

even if there was (which there won’t), clearly it’s not going to be for next season - if would be for this season.

there’s a strange self-righteous attitude of some fans who seemingly want the TEAM to be punished.

alexthelion

Punishment for saving English fans???
The fans have basically saved English football from greedy owners and the dodgy super league
Have they really? How many owners have sold up in the last couple of weeks?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The Glazers to sing God Save the Queen on next game.

Moorie86

Fine and rest the home games played at neutral venue.
first time at EPL game Postponed due to Crowd trouble

People were able to get into the stadium, during a global pandemic when it’s clearly supposed to be secure. That’s the club’s fault. They’ll use that as the reason for coming down hard in the hope that this doesn’t happen again elsewhere. The PL have to set a precedent.

I find it mad that they could just walk in? If it’s not secure now, when is it? Someone could take anything in there. Crazy.
If a couple of hundred people want to get into a building they will get in, unless you have a police cordon around the entire ground.

Of course a review will happen and increased measures put in place - but United aren't going to be punished because angry protesters broke in to the stadium.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
One game to be played behind closed doors when the fans are able to return?

Banana Republic

Non-Utd fans and other members of the public are clamouring for Utd to be punished for today's events, on various web sites, forums and newspaper comments sections.
Losing our place in the Champions League next season, either as a straight FA ban, or by points deduction putting us out of the top 4 (same effect), might be the punishment.
It would also give the FA and PL a valid and 'justifiable" excuse to punish us for the ESL fiasco.
I hope that's not even possible.

Maybe it'll be Phil Jones being banned for the rest of the season?

alexthelion

Souldn't be any punishment, but knowing the FA, will they want to make an example of us?

dove

They smashed the glass door to go into the stadium.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I don’t think there will be points deducted.

even if there was (which there won’t), clearly it’s not going to be for next season - if would be for this season.

there’s a strange self-righteous attitude of some fans who seemingly want the TEAM to be punished.
I don't want it. There's a strange smugness to those people who are falsely labelling people like that so they can feel like superior fans.

I'm trying to look at from the viewpoint of a league who enjoy punishing United where they can. A cop was assaulted and their big showpiece game was binned. They'll be out for blood for this. The people who own the rights to broadcast the league, the money men, will be pushing for that blood too. United are the biggest box office draw in the league. You think they're gonna want the risk of advertising a United game only for fans to protest again and it to be postponed? Expect us to be made a firm example of.

kidbob

The only possible points punishment is a walkover for Liverpool, not that it should happen. -10 or whatever for next season is insane considering they are protesting against owners the wanted the Super League which the FA, PL and British government hated. If the game can't be rescheduled then it goes to Liverpool but apart from fines nothing else should happen. That alone would send enough of a message for me. But feck their message, they made their bed by allowing these leeches to buy us in the way they did, so feck them they were the ones who could have stepped in so they have no real right to punish us for what they created.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
So what if one game got postponed? They failed to punish the six clubs who risked making more or less all future big games irrelevant.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Man United (same as Liverpool) were told by the police not to leave the hotel and go to the ground. How are we getting points deducted??

We didn't decide not to play the game.

Sure we'll get a warning and/or fine for how the club managed the security situation (with two weeks notice) though. Half a million would do.

Hopefully the GMP decide to add a load of police and up our bill.

I don't want it. There's a strange smugness to those people who are falsely labelling people like that so they can feel like superior fans.

I'm trying to look at from the viewpoint of a league who enjoy punishing United where they can. A cop was assaulted and their big showpiece game was binned. They'll be out for blood for this. The people who own the rights to broadcast the league, the money men, will be pushing for that blood too. United are the biggest box office draw in the league. You think they're gonna want the risk of advertising a United game only for fans to protest again and it to be postponed? Expect us to be made a firm example of.
Bollocks to anyone who thinks they are superior fans - and to you if you think I am being so.

we all have different opinions.

the club will not be deducted points for next season.

the game will get replayed. Sponsors aren’t making calls to the PL to ask for points deductions.

Gavinb33

I think it'll be points if I am honest.

I doubt it will be more than 3 though.

The one thing I can't believe is the club weren't more prepared for this outcome, the protest was rumored on social media for weeks and all they had was their usual stewards and some small barriers, I think someone at the club almost wanted this outcome looking from the outside.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
The FA should be disbanded immediately for letting so many bad owners takeover. Lifetime bans from the sport for all those in executive positions.

All the government ministers in the Labour government in 2005 should be get a lifetime ban from all football activities.

Bristol_Red_87

An unfancied Phil Jones pitted against TAA on FIFA 21 to decide where the points go..

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I don't think their should be any. I think we should control the focus. Because under the surface this is nationalism vs globalism and it's about time people stood up for tradition over extreme leftist ideas and 'progress'. They should look at the big picture. Again, this is why nations have to control the money. We don't. That is why you get a morgage and are in debt 3/4 of your lives. It's all about the money. So there should be no punishment because we're doing the job that governments should be doing if they worked on behalf of the people rather then themselves.

There is always a fine line but franchise and no relegation etc. It was always pointing towards elitism and cheating and I do think the market was destroyed by these parasites working together for their own ego and self interest. So keep it up and keep it clean.