What Punishment?

OrcaFat

:) Seems fair to me.

In reality I think the football authorities will be under pressure to 'do something'.
Yes but the transgression is not in the order of serious financial mismanagement or flagrant breach of league rules.

The authorities probably will do something but my guess is a (hefty) fine for failing to provide adequate security.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Yes but the transgression is not in the order of serious financial mismanagement or flagrant breach of league rules.

The authorities probably will do something but my guess is a (hefty) fine for failing to provide adequate security.
Fine wont do because there's postponed match.

It wont be fair to liverpool (in this case) to play a replay in an already congested fixture. We would cry foul if we're fighting for 4th and arsenal are pulling this and made us play 3 match in 1 week.

Most likely they'll just forfeit it as a 3-0 loss

Roboc7

It wont be fair to liverpool (in this case) to play a replay in an already congested fixture. We would cry foul if we're fighting for 4th and arsenal are pulling this and made us play 3 match in 1 week.

They can’t impose a forfeit as Police were involved in the decision, time to moe on from all the panic about forfeits and points deductions. We’ll get fined that’s it.

Flexdegea

Probably a weedy little fine, that'll be it. Utd fans seemingly wanting more are bizarre.

Truly bizarre and seems to be a few posting before yourself already hoping for this to be the case

OrcaFat

The premier league statement said it was postponed and a new date for the fixture will be announced.

Do you really consider Utd are “pulling this”? I honestly don’t know if there is a precedent but I will be surprised if there’s a forfeit. But we’ll find out if you’re right quite soon.

K Stand Knut

I’ve just spoke to a mate who works at OT.

Liverpool allegedly refused to turn up due to safety concerns.

IF that is the case, I don’t see how any punishment can be given to United.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
It amazes me anyone can think we’d get a points deduction for this. It’ll be a fine and a demand to up security.

RedRover

Did they help Liverpool oust their previous owners when they were about to go into administration?
I don't know, but I'm stating a fact. The Glazers own the company, nobody can force them to sell it. In that sense, United is no different from any other company. What, precisely, do you think the FA can do?

As a fan, I despise this ownership but expecting the FA, or Premier League to step in and force the owners of a multi-billion pound asset to sell it is naïve. Gary Neville is right, some kind of government intervention is needed because these owners don't care about the "legacy" fans where, but about people thousands of miles away who'll pay a quid to watch the game on their iPhone.

A fine and some kind of meaningless warning. Maybe, maybe there will be a minor points deduction that doesn't cost us any places in the table. Anything else would risk further trouble.

They also wont forfeit the game because the broadcasters would be furious if they lost the biggest game of the season. If it was Burnley v Sheffield United maybe, but not Manchester United v Liverpool.

PaulRich

Arguably as there weren't any paying fans and the stadium was locked this has nothing to do with lack of crowd control or failure on the clubs part to control THEIR fans - its a civil disturbance with the club being subject to a royal case of breaking and entering. Bet your life MUFC's legal team uses this angle to actually portray the club as the victims.

Anyone know if there was any punishment for the postponed game following the bomb scare a few seasons ago ?? Arguably this was far worse as the stadium was open to the public and was a breach of the clubs internal security measures.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Arguably as there weren't any paying fans and the stadium was locked this has nothing to do with lack of crowd control or failure on the clubs part to control THEIR fans - its a civil disturbance with the club being subject to a royal case of breaking and entering. Bet your life MUFC's legal team uses this angle to actually portray the club as the victims.

Anyone know if there was any punishment for the postponed game following the bomb scare a few seasons ago ?? Arguably this was far worse as the stadium was open to the public and was a breach of the clubs internal security measures.

This was unlawful entrance, not open to public :)

Maticmaker

One year suspension from European football.
This is quite likely to be the response from UEFA. (in part, it will be revenge on the club for playing a leading role in the SL debacle)
It will be based on the ground incursion yesterday, which it appears, since the club has denied any staff involvement, that its gates and locking systems can be broken through with ease. UEFA will say this is a safety consideration and no European games can be played at Old Trafford next year
However, they may allow United homes games to be played at....say, the Etihad (oh shit!)

Bertie Wooster

No way should United be deducted points or have to forfeit the game.

If it was a match day crowd then, fair enough (to an extent) - part of accepting the entrance fee is a responsibility to maintain order and safety, etc. And if we fail in that then some action is expected.

But this was nothing like that. Those people were trespassing into the ground and onto the pitch. They weren't match day fans. They were protesters / trespassers that was more of a police responsibility than the clubs. No way should that lead to a club being deducted points. The punishment should be for those breaking the law, not the club who had their ground invaded by trespassers from outside.

Will they? I'm not sure I accept that. Looked very much like hundreds of random people (including kids, when you see the pictures) were just able to wander in. I assume the stadium is generally secure when it's not in use, i.e. locked up. Are you saying you could get in easily if you wanted to?

Maybe not in the end, but in the context of a global pandemic, clearly security at stadiums should be tight. If they want to make an example they will (in my opinion) use that. It's arguably no different from clubs failing to control fans in the stadium.

EDIT: I've seen the post below and it seems they forced their way in. Still be interesting to see if there's a punishment handed out.
Old Trafford and any football ground there are so many weak points from a security perspective - especially on a match day when various entrances are open to facilitate the arrival of staff, media and tv people and equipment, players and coaches. Not hard to see how they got in.

What else could United have done? The protest was legally arranged and the Police knew in plenty of time - it's up to the Police (not United) to decide what numbers they think are sufficient to manage a protest.

I can't see how the club can be punished for this. Other than owing the Police some money.

Last edited:

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I’ve just spoke to a mate who works at OT.

Liverpool allegedly refused to turn up due to safety concerns.

IF that is the case, I don’t see how any punishment can be given to United.
Wouldn't it be obvious that would be United's fault for not providing security to teams? (if that's the case)

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Old Trafford and any football ground there are so many weak points from a security perspective - especially on a match day when various entrances are open to facilitate the arrival of staff, media and tv people and equipment, players and coaches. Not hard to see how they got in.

What else could United have done? The protest was legally arranged and the Police knew in plenty of time - it's up to the Police (not United) to decide what numbers they think are sufficient to manage a protest.

I can't see how the club can be punished for this. Other than owing the Police some money.
My uncle used to work security for Old Trafford on game days a long time ago. According to him there's a lot of control on who can get in and out of the stadium.

Fingeredmouse

They’ll fine the club, force a game behind closed doors and tell the club to beer up security.

uefa would be shitting themselves if pl deduct points from United.
I'm not sure that drunk security would help defuse a future similar situation.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

If they do that, other teams battling for Europe will call in lawyers - and rightly so

kopviolator

Manchester United can hardly be responisble for a mob invasion if security protocols are in check with standards set by the league. If not, then a fine seems applicable.

The true question is how should the club be dealt with for breaking lines with the league. This probably deserves a stiff penalty.