What should be the realistic expectations for 2020-21?

DeGea

Logically judging by this season, success next season should be defined IMHO as:

1. Top 2
2. A cup
3. Get out of Champs League group

Getting 3rd next season is no progress, and 4th is a regression. I do not think top 2 is out of the question but it requires the team to get that next thing that all title winning sides have - consistency. They should all be thinking about acquiring that in their armoury as individuals. We have very good games against the top 6 so it is achievable as long as we don't feck up the games against the weaker teams - this requires consistency and a different frame of mind i.e. the next step in their development.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
What, with two centre backs that don't compliment each other and a pair of perpetually injured centre backs as cover? As you say, attack would be very tasty, but the foundation still needs addressing, both first XI and squad depth.
Like I said, Cooper's mentioned in his article that we're after a CB, the ones we've been linked with so far aren't anything like Maguire or Lindelof.

You also don't need an amazing defence for a title challenge, it certainly helps but it isn't necessary, I said I expected a challenge not that I expect us to win it. Nobody but City or Liverpool will win it in my opinion, I said that we have no excuse not to be challenging, and we wouldn't if we signed Grealish, Sancho and a CB. Liverpool have shown before that a good attack can get you a title challenge.

RC89

1. 75-80 points in PL
2. Trophy
3. Decent run in CL - obviously depending on opposition
4. Clear, well executed brand of footy throughout season
This. Would love to see 80 points though. Would be a clear sign we're close to competing if not already doing so (doubtful).

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
If you're expecting top 2 next season you're just setting yourself for frustration and disappointment.

Let's start with retaining a top 4 position and clearing the 75-80 point barrier.

Cups depend on the day and matchup, expecting to win FA/Carling Cup is a crap shoot.

CL? Make it to QFs (depending on how the last 16 looks)

Have a plan for teams that sit back.

That's a good start.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
It'll be an interesting season with the relatively quick turnaround/transfer window being open after games begin.

Thing to note that will impact teams - AFCON will (in theory) be taking place during the season proper which will certainly effect Liverpool (Mane, Salah, Keita) and Arsenal (Aubameyang, Pepe).

For us, I just want to see us improve and carry on developing a style under Ole. I think we're at least another season away from really competing but establishing ourselves in the top 4 and a decent CL run would be nice. Around 80 points and good football would be fine, a cup a bonus (not sure what these will be like next season).

Zen86

Top 4, a decent title challenge, a cup run. Also the knockouts of the CL would be nice.

It all depends on what happens during the transfer window, but expecting to overtake City or Liverpool next season is a bit silly.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Like I said, Cooper's mentioned in his article that we're after a CB, the ones we've been linked with so far aren't anything like Maguire or Lindelof.

You also don't need an amazing defence for a title challenge, it certainly helps but it isn't necessary, I said I expected a challenge not that I expect us to win it. Nobody but City or Liverpool will win it in my opinion, I said that we have no excuse not to be challenging, and we wouldn't if we signed Grealish, Sancho and a CB. Liverpool have shown before that a good attack can get you a title challenge.
I agree that there are no excuses for not being comprehensively better than this season, on the whole. So I expect 80+ points. But to challenge, you're talking +90 points and an enormous GD. This team is young, it has leaders in Bruno and Maguire, that's it. I think expecting a challenge, which is being at the level of City and Liverpool, I think is just not realistic for next season.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It'll be an interesting season with the relatively quick turnaround/transfer window being open after games begin.

Thing to note that will impact teams - AFCON will (in theory) be taking place during the season proper which will certainly effect Liverpool (Mane, Salah, Keita) and Arsenal (Aubameyang, Pepe).

For us, I just want to see us improve and carry on developing a style under Ole. I think we're at least another season away from really competing but establishing ourselves in the top 4 and a decent CL run would be nice. Around 80 points and good football would be fine, a cup a bonus (not sure what these will be like next season).
AFCON is pushed out one year. Sorry bud

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
Don't expect us to be title challengers but we should close the gap a lot at least.
Improve our home record and make it harder for opponents again.
Get out the group stages in Champions League and then it's luck of the draw.
But we'd need to improve the squad as the first team can't perform every week, they need some rest.

Luke1995

If we have a fit, motivated Pogba and Rashford/Greenwood get 40+ goals together, winning the league isn't out of question...if De Gea solves whatever his goalkeeping problems are. That's a big if though.

CL semifinal at least.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I agree that there are no excuses for not being comprehensively better than this season, on the whole. So I expect 80+ points. But to challenge, you're talking +90 points and an enormous GD. This team is young, it has leaders in Bruno and Maguire, that's it. I think expecting a challenge, which is being at the level of City and Liverpool, I think is just not realistic for next season.
That's probably a more realistic outcome, in fairness. If you look at Liverpool's trajectory under Klopp (8th, 4th, 4th, 2nd, 1st) then it's probably more realistic to expect to have a real run at the title the season after, provided we continue our upward trajectory.

Amerifan

1. Points, points, points. Beating Jose’s 81 would be a clear sign of progress. Points as a sign of progress in individual player development, managerial development (Ole’s still learning), and team development.
2. Continued development of our younger players as measured by improved individual stats.
3. Continued investment in top quality players.
4. Fewer injuries. If there is any one thing that would improve our lot it’s this.

Don’t care where we finish in the CL. Aside from the cash and recruiting boost I wish we weren’t in it next year. We aren’t yet competitive with the top teams, and it’s a detriment with our current squad depth. If we burn ourselves out punching above our weight in the CL we will jeopardize our league points total. Same with the cups. Field a backup squad and keep our best players fit and healthy for the PL.

Trophies will come, it’s early days yet. I’m content waiting another year or two for our next silverware. Once the trophies start coming with this group, they’ll keep coming as long as we hold this group together.

Ekeke

If we spend nothing, 3rd.

If we spend on expensive players like Sancho we have to be getting on the same level as City or Liverpool

DeGea

1. Win all our home games.
2. At least a draw away against the top 6 if possible.
3. Beat everybody else home and away.

:D

jlecesne

If we spend on expensive players like Sancho we have to be getting on the same level as City or Liverpool
Agreed. Sancho, a center back and a few squad players put us on Liverpool and City's level and the expectation should be to win the league or at least be a serious challenger. We need to get rid of "finishing top four" as a goal at Manchester United.

PSV

* One or two class signings, and an additional second string signing or two.
* At least 10 points more and hopefully a comfortable top 4 together with Liverpool, City and Chelsea. I expect Lamps to be well backed too, so not going to view 4th as a huge disappointment if we make CL by some margin.
* I expect us to make it out of the group of CL, but reckon we could get a rough draw both in the group (and end up 2nd), as well as end up against a powerhouse in the Round of 16.
* Domestic cups, to be honest, I don't really care.

We might need next year as well to build and gel the tea, bit like Klopp with his back to back ending 4th seasons (16-17 & 17-18). We'll see. Excited for it to start, hopefully we're ready from the get-go.

ruskyline

1. Challenge for the title until the last game. Never fall more than 3 points behind.
  2. Win FA
  3. UCL Semi Final
  4. Score +90 goals
  5. Have a few 5-0 wins
  6. Have a player to challenge for the Golden Boot and Player of the Year

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

If we buy one top class player we should be level with a team that has 6 world class players in its first XI? Even if we'd buy 3-4 world class players (which we obviously won't), there'd still be the process of developing a team and Guardiola and Klopp happen to be the best managers in the world.

Achieving a respectable points tally and improving our style of football would probably be encouraging to most people.

pav1790

Let’s define where we set the standards and what failing to meet them means. Yes, standards should not slip. We are not the same team but we are the same club. But then we have to understand that we can’t become a sacking club. So, in essence this is a question in three parts :

1. What should the club look to achieve?
2. What is the absolute minimum we should do?
3. What will keep us hopeful for the next season should be fail to achieve it?

1. the club should look to be challenging for the league at least for a good part of the season. The club should be winning a trophy - of some sort. Yes draws affect that but it’s three competitions. We will get a good draw here or there.

2. At the minimum, we should improve against lesser teams while keeping similar performances against big clubs. We should also get to semis in domestic cups again like we did and get out of groups in UCL.

3. failing that, we should see a clear style of play with an obvious hole or two that the club can address. That’s absolute minimum now. If we fall out of top four, we will have regressed. We should certainly be there.

mav_9me

I’ll be a bit more modest. 70+ points, a consolidation of top four and a good run in the CL or a domestic cup final/win.

I don’t think we can say we will easily be the third best team - Chelsea have added well and see no sign of stopping and City could go either way as they need to invest heavily after losing some of their most consistent players over the last couple of years.

All I’m really looking for is a more easy top four run, our new players all being good signings and some progression on last season.

If we continue to improve I will expect a title challenge in 21/22
100% this

DarkLord

SAF would have wiped out the league with us. Unrealistic, to win the title and FA Cup. Realistically, we would finish 5th or limp to 4th if we don't strengthen the squad.

CG1010

Let's wait for the transfers to complete and then we can decide on our expectations. But even if there are no new transfers (unlikely) I expect us to be able to continue the improved performance levels and reduce gap between us and City/Liverpool. And goes without saying that now Ole has no excuses for not reaching top 4 anymore.

EwanI Ted

Agreed. Sancho, a center back and a few squad players put us on Liverpool and City's level and the expectation should be to win the league or at least be a serious challenger. We need to get rid of "finishing top four" as a goal at Manchester United.
Top four is no-ones goal. The question is how quickly we get to the title. Some people think we can reach that level from this September, others think it’ll take a bit longer. It’s nothing to do with standards.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Build on this season. Get top 4 and good runs in all competitions. Winning something would be a huge bonus but for me, I want to see clear progress year on year. More points. More consistency. Better football. Better in game management from Ole. That’s why I didn’t mind Poch coming in. I knew he’d get us to being a real competitive side ala Spurs. I think we should get there first and re-evaluate. I think talk of a title challenge is way too premature.

Andersons Dietician

As every year it’s to win everything but realistically comfortably in the top 4 and putting more preasure on City and Pool. I don’t think we’ll jump enough to put in a proper challenge for the league, but an improvement in performance level sustained over a season would be progression for me.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
More consistency in performances as last six years were full of chaos and unexplained shit. Finishing off teams clearly weaker than current United and not giving them space for scoring to turn the tide of game.

A bit ruthless Ole judging his players if they're United quality would more than just a bonus.

Highfather_24

- 3rd in PL and close the gap between us and City/Liverpool.
- Quarter Finals in CL
- Challenge for FA Cup and Carabao Cup. Try to win one of these.
- Try to bring consistency in the team, and keep playing attacking football.

Dazzmondo

The most important thing for me is that we establish a very clear top 4. I expect City, Liverpool, Utd and Chelsea (obviously I don't care about Chelsea but I expect they will be there based on their transfer window so far) to absolutely pull away from the rest of the PL. That means I expect us to have at least 75 points in the league and a big gap between ourselves and any team outside those 3 other teams. I also expect a cup win, whether that's Carabao or FA I don't care that much. I expect us to reach the knockout rounds of the CL also.

I'd be happy with that. I'm not under any illusions. Even if we get Sancho the squad is too weak in other areas to make a serious attempt for the league title. The biggest issue is definitely our depth which is way worse than most Utd fans acknowledge. Any time Matic, Pogba or Fernandes were taken out of our midfield we looked like a completely different team, and not in a good way. Similarly, atm our front 3 is excellent with Martial, Rashford and Greenwood but nobody else in the squad is good enough to be in the starting XI. Thankfully, pretty certain Sancho is coming in which will make this area of our team one of the strongest in Europe. We need to upgrade cdm, cb and lb imo. If we fix all of those this season we might be able to mount a league title challenge but based on who we have been linked with so far it sounds like we're only considering a cb out of these positions. Lb in particular should be far more of a priority since Shaw is constantly injured and unreliable and Williams is both inconsistent and right footed which basically removes any threat on our left side and completely destroys the way our team plays, forcing all attacks through the centre of the pitch since AWB is also very poor in attack. We desperately need a lb who can offer a crossing threat and I would go so far as to suggest that should be our number 1 priority after Sancho. Considering Marc Roca seems to be available for €18m, I think we hould go for him as backup to Matic for this season. If he doesn't prove to be good enough it's not like it's a huge waste and he's shown enough to be worth the punt imo. He's very similar to Matic in a lot of ways, he's a very good passer and has good tackling and positioning. He is a bit slow (also like Matic) which is probably the biggest weakness he has but again, this added depth would help us a lot.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
IF we buy Sancho and Grealish (or some other midfielder as backup) them we must challenge for PL title. No excuses next year for me. And one cup would be nice.