What should be the top five priorities of United's next permanent manager?

fastwalker

Whoever the next United manager is, they should arrive fully briefed on the squad, contract situations and coaching set up. They will hopefully have more than enough time to think about what needs to happen first and what needs to happen next. Looking at the various challenges facing United, there are a number of issues for the next manager to prioritise which include:
  • Clearly establishing their footballing philosophy - this will obviously take time to embed, but surely has to be a day one priority? It will determine not just how the team will play but who can and cannot play in that system and who might be surplus to requirements;
  • Their tactical approach and playing style - commit to playing a brand of football that fully utilises the abundant talent in the squad and worthy of the rich traditions of the club;
  • Replacing the coaching staff - in the opinion of many and for the good of the club, we need a wholesale clear out as the current regime have become synonymous with incompetence and failure;
  • Activity in the transfer market (incoming) - in term of incomings, get Haaland in, bring in some genuine competition at the full back for AWB also bring in a competent CDM (Ndidi would be my preference);
  • Activity in the transfer market (outgoing) - in terms of outgoings, big decisions on the future of Maguire, Fred, Henderson, Martial and Pogba. Not sure whether any of these want to be United players or should be United players. Also big clear out required on the squad clutter. it is simply too big and as we have seen, our large unwieldy squads only creates unrest;
  • Resolving the van De Beek question - providing that Donny decides to defer the decision regarding his future until he has spoken to the new manager and assuming that Pogba leaves the club, which is my preference, I would look to retain DvB at the club as a natural replacement for Pogba;
  • Resolving the Ronaldo question - should he stay or should he go? As controversial as this may seem, I think that United have to look beyond Cristiano Ronaldo. The new manager has to have absolute authority in the dressing room;
  • Making a decision over the United captaincy - this is an issue only because the current captain is clearly not up to the job of inspiring and leading the team. My choice would be to hand it to Bruno Fernandes
What do others think the key priorities of the next United manager should be and what would you pick as your top five?

Foxbatt

Sacking the coaching staff should be his first priority. Then get world class or good experienced coaches to help him implement his style of playing. Also sort out the style of play depending on the players we have. If we get Ten Hag he is going to play the passing game. Not sure Bruno is going to fit into that. Ronaldo can for sure. He certainly needs to coach the team a lot better than just passion or shoot.

House Mkhitaryan

Their tactical approach and playing style

Kaos

Sacking the coaching staff should be his first priority. Then get world class or good experienced coaches to help him implement his style of playing. Also sort out the style of play depending on the players we have. If we get Ten Hag he is going to play the passing game. Not sure Bruno is going to fit into that. Ronaldo can for sure. He certainly needs to coach the team a lot better than just passion or shoot.
This a million times.

Let them bring in their own coaches. No shoehorning Carricky or McKenny and their u12 drills while they stare gormlessly at their iPads during games.

passing-wind

The best managers in the league are so because of their respective philosophies and ethos. I don't think the club needs to go overboard with a whimsical visionary but at the minimum an attack minded manager, good foundation in coaching players and enough flexibility in preparations without having to ditch the fundamental identity of the team. Basically the exact opposite of what Ole didn't bring to the table.

I feel Ten Hag, Enrique are the closest examples with Zidane and Poch following closely to lesser extent. Either of the four for me is enough for the club to have confidence moving forward.

One of the biggest issues at present is there are a few good managers who are capable of leading the club forward and they are not at massively elite clubs like the Bayern's, Madrid's etc.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
1) Personnel decisions: This will include what to do with Pogba, the GK situation, Maguire, Ronaldo, Bruno etc. Who he decides to sell and keep and even buy.

2) Tactical decisions: His style of play and philosophy, we need to see a cohesive plan on the pitch.

3) Staff decisions: Includes who he want on his coaching staff and how he navigates the relationships with the likes of Murtough and Fletcher.

4) Making Old trafford a fortress: Our home form has been a fecking joke. We need to make our home games guaranteed three points most of the time.

5) Be classy and responsible: There are issues in football with corruption, racism, lgbt stuff etc. The new guy needs to be able to navigate these issues responsibly and in the manner befitting a manchester united manager. We also have some old legends so respect to the foundations of the football club would be appreciated.

I'll add a sixth bonus one

6) Captivate the attention of young fans

unclefredo

Establish a high performance culture

Simply put, if you don't perform to the highest level, you're dropped. I think that's what's cost Ole his job. For whatever reason, he hasn't trusted our squad in key positions. How Maguire, Shaw, AWB have survived not being dropped is beyond me.

Reactions: Invictus

Kag

I’m amazed some of you still have the energy to do all of this.

Does anybody else no longer give a feck? I’m just going to see what happens.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
1. Sack Carrick
2. Sack McKenna
3. Sack Phelan
4. Sack Fletcher
5. Sack ?

OleBoiii

Does anybody else no longer give a feck? I’m just going to see what happens.
Same here. I do have some preferences, but overall I have no idea what we should do next.

On paper, Van Gaal and Mourinho were both better candidates than pretty much every candidate being pitched right now. They both had good resumes, good defensive organization and a clear philosophy(and "patterns of play" for that matter). Look how far that got us.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Does anybody else no longer give a feck?
I don't give much of a feck, if I'm honest.

As far as I'm concerned, we're unlikely to make any genuine progress until our utterly incompetent board stop hiring managers, expecting them to bring about anything sustainable by themselves.

We need a new CEO and a new DOF before we start thinking about hiring the right sort of "manager" (meaning a coach in charge of short-term tactics and whatnot).

Foxbatt

I don't give much of a feck, if I'm honest.

As far as I'm concerned, we're unlikely to make any genuine progress until our utterly incompetent board stop hiring managers, expecting them to bring about anything sustainable by themselves.

We need a new CEO and a new DOF before we start thinking about hiring the right sort of "manager" (meaning a coach in charge of short-term tactics and whatnot).
Entirely agree with you. Sack Fletcher and that John bloke.

Abraxas

How is the VDB situation a "top priority"? He's one of about 30 blokes in and around a squad, he's no more of a priority than getting the best out of the team and finding combinations that work.

The Ronaldo question is a bit more pertinent because he's such a towering figure. So we need to find a solution to getting the most out of him without compromising too much. That is obviously something a new manager would have to consider pretty immediately as your top forward to some extent defines how the team can play.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Unless they can buy a CB,RB and two CM next summer you cant even think about challenging for titles. Probably need a striker as well.

Hughie77

Getting a fecking tune out of the prima Donna's we got . I'd fecking make them all train in the ice cold bollocks naked, then the dick measuring would be difficult.
Fecking egos have to be sorted first, to many in that dressing room imo.
No I in team lads, learn that first.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I think the problem is the short term needs and the long term needs are completely at odds.

Short term it’s simply about taking a practical organising this imbalanced the team as best they can with Ronaldo at the centre of it, Becuase there is no alternative.

Long term it’s about atcually training the squad to have an attacking structure, not just soley reliant on individual skill, develop the younger players we have and not just let them waste away and actually create a balanced squad.

Not sure there is a manager out there who can do both.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
The new manager has to have absolute authority in the dressing room;
Not just in the dressing room…

It is being reported today that Ole was having trouble, because three players felt they outranked him: Pogba, Fernandes and Ronaldo.

Who was instrumental in bringing in the last of these? SAF.

Whomever is in charge, short term or permanently, needs to tell the ex-legendary manager to butt out.

This is of course difficult for an interim manager with links to the great man (Carrick) and it’s further complicated by the fact SAF is still on the payroll and can’t seem to stop ‘helping’.

Despite the news re: Ole, mistakes continue to be made. Interim manager? OK, but not Carrick or indeed anyone with links to the past. For the reason I stated above.

Waiting for Pochitinno? again, OK, but will he come if Utd don’t finish in the top-four? I think a better bet would be Zidane NOW, or even better, Roberto Mancini - but that would never be allowed to happen by the £3 million a year club Ambassador…

fastwalker

It is being reported today that Ole was having trouble, because three players felt they outranked him: Pogba, Fernandes and Ronaldo.
That is not entirely surprising, but if that is the case then it is a descent into madness. Every club has big personalities that need managing, but when you have players who think or behave as if they 'out rank' the manager then they have to go. Again, I am reminded of Paul Ince, Roy Keane and David Beckham who Sir Alex got rid of when it became clear that they believed or acted as though they were bigger than the club. Egos are inevitable when you have multi-millionaire players who know that if push comes to shove, they are more likely to outlast the manager. But if we allow a group of politicians to run our club, then United will become Liverpool c1996. I would have them all out.

darko

I can't see Ronaldo being one of the problems. We know the issues with Pogba and Bruno looks to be doing whatever he wants on the pitch.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
No one in the new coaching staff should be anyone even remotely connected with United in the past.

paulscholes18

1) Tactics.

2) Style of play, not had an identity since LVG left.

3) Bringing through youngsters.

4) signing players

5) Selling the deadwood

dutchred

Whoever the next United manager is, they should arrive fully briefed on the squad, contract situations and coaching set up. They will hopefully have more than enough time to think about what needs to happen first and what needs to happen next. Looking at the various challenges facing United, there are a number of issues for the next manager to prioritise which include:
  • Clearly establishing their footballing philosophy - this will obviously take time to embed, but surely has to be a day one priority? It will determine not just how the team will play but who can and cannot play in that system and who might be surplus to requirements;
  • Their tactical approach and playing style - commit to playing a brand of football that fully utilises the abundant talent in the squad and worthy of the rich traditions of the club;
  • Replacing the coaching staff - in the opinion of many and for the good of the club, we need a wholesale clear out as the current regime have become synonymous with incompetence and failure;
  • Activity in the transfer market (incoming) - in term of incomings, get Haaland in, bring in some genuine competition at the full back for AWB also bring in a competent CDM (Ndidi would be my preference);
  • Activity in the transfer market (outgoing) - in terms of outgoings, big decisions on the future of Maguire, Fred, Henderson, Martial and Pogba. Not sure whether any of these want to be United players or should be United players. Also big clear out required on the squad clutter. it is simply too big and as we have seen, our large unwieldy squads only creates unrest;
  • Resolving the van De Beek question - providing that Donny decides to defer the decision regarding his future until he has spoken to the new manager and assuming that Pogba leaves the club, which is my preference, I would look to retain DvB at the club as a natural replacement for Pogba;
  • Resolving the Ronaldo question - should he stay or should he go? As controversial as this may seem, I think that United have to look beyond Cristiano Ronaldo. The new manager has to have absolute authority in the dressing room;
  • Making a decision over the United captaincy - this is an issue only because the current captain is clearly not up to the job of inspiring and leading the team. My choice would be to hand it to Bruno Fernandes
What do others think the key priorities of the next United manager should be and what would you pick as your top five?
This exactly what a DOF should be doing ( except maybe the last point). If we had a good DOF all we would need is for him to appoint the right coaches. Additionally make sure that all teams from the Under 18 upwards play the same system so making transition to the first team easier. Ralf Rangnick would be ideal

darko

1. Clear out the dead weight.
2. Use DVB.
3. Believe in the importance of a proper midfield set up.
Fix that, then they can move forward to other issues.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
1. Tactical knowledge
2. definitive style of play
3. Strong focus on midfield play
4. Proven track record
5. Complete change of existing coaching team, with no Man Utd DNA bullshite

Chipper

Adulterer.
Win the next match
Win the league
Win the champions league
Win the FA cup
Win the league cup

Yakuza_devils

1) Must be able to speak up against Ed and Co if something is not right to improve the football structure

2) Able to implement a clear modern progressive style of play without needing 3 years.

3) To improve on signings and players performance. The last 3 years we have signed the obvious big names and can't improve much on any players.

4) Great man manager with our prima donna here. Able to motivate players

5) Give chances to the youth especially in cup games.

loki

Broke 1000 posts 5 years ago. Slow going since
1) Coaching.They might not sack all the coaches, but a few need to go, and someone who is an established and well rated pure coach brought in to lead and develop players. Over time clear out those who aren't good enough. We should have space at the club at any one time for at most one single former player to learn his trade, and not in a key role unless they turn out to be outstanding. We're not a jobs for the lads business. I have no idea how good they actually are, but going by the disjointed inconsistent results on the pitch they can't be that great.

2) Team style. Get a proper notion of how we want to play. We can still vary how we go about this tactically to use personnel but we should have a proper system and hopefully one in tune with modern football, not one from a coach who was good 10-20 years ago and is lost in the new tactical innovations. Comments about Van Gaal and Mourinho being good tactical managers who failed here need to bear in mind they had stopped innovating and were tied to tactics that were behind developments. The tactics need to then go through the whole youth system.

3) Move to solve the aching vulnerability in defensive midfield, defense. Its obvious all our midfielders are unsuited to the role, and I think most could actually be a lot more productive with the freedom of cover behind them to allow them to play more their styles. Staying away from the defense of the sloth pairing of Lindelof/Maguire would take pressure off there too, its so obvious they get caught by their lack of pace, both can do much better with a pacier partner to cover for them. A big DM signing is the quickest way to this, the in between alternatives being to consistently play the quicker defenders, or use three centrebacks at the back more often. It should never be a Lindelof/Maguire duo only.

4) Be bloody sensible with signings. Clearly Lingard should have been moved on for money not let rot for a year to annoy him away on a free. Pogba should probably have been sold but if not sold, not been given some of the time he was given when he is not signing a new contract. If he can't commit, should only be playing if he's playing out of his skin to deserve it. Which he isn't. And he's put the effort in for France that he doesn't for us. At least if he does go we won't miss paying his wages. I don't think we need a huge player overhaul now, so just maximize what you got, get the better young players on good loans that are suited to their stage of development. Have plans to do deals before the window opens, have a few viable targets ready, and start pursuit of players before the windows open, so you know quick in the window who is workable, not drag out to the last minute, while other clubs swoop in taking our first, second choices while we dawdle.

5) Rotate sensibly. Yes you want to play your best players most games, but that doesn't mean you play them every game to stop them whining. Fitness needs to be managed, and those on the edges of the squad need to be given chances, both to keep them in shape to be on the pace if needed to injury and to push those ahead of them.
Maguire and Fernandes needed to be rested much more for the last few years. Fernandes for his own good, he dipped form from tiredness, and Maguire to keep him grounded (plus he was played injured more recently).

Revan

Assumptionman
1. Coaching
2. Coaching
3. Coaching
4. Coaching
5. Coaching

Considering that the last time the player were coached was when Rui Faria was here 5 years ago, I think the players will need a lot of it.

Westerkerk

Agree with all of what most people have said. I honestly believe that any manager is going to find it difficult to do what they want with the autonomy they want to do it. The only way that will change if the results allow it. It's a catch 22 situation.

Somehow they need to find a way to move forward and cut poisonous and unhelpful ties with the past. Yes we have a history, yes we have a legacy, yes we have traditions - guess what, so do hundreds of other clubs. It would be nice for one single home game at the beginning of the new managers tenure not to have the camera panning across the executive seats to Ferguson's judgemental face as we're drawing 0-0 with Brentford after 8 minutes, creating a sour narrative around the club. It's 2021, we'll be 5/6 managers past SAF by this point, it's time to put the foundations of the club in someone elses hands and stop allowing ex managers to be involved.

Bestietom

Resolving the playing style of the team.
Bringing in 2 top class midfielders ( DM and box to box Midfielder)
Sorting out our defense.
Picking a balanced side, and not playing men out of position.
Finally command respect from ALL players and staff.

kthanksbye

Sack everyone who has a job at the club just because they're an ex player or had a role at the club.

youmeletsfly

1. coaching
2. more coaching
3. all the coaching that is needed
4. sacking useless staff(players, coaches, etc)
5. silently finding a way to poison the Glazers and finally save us from the american doom