What should we do for the right wing if we don't get Sancho in the upcoming window?

Icemav

If I was Woody, I'd start preparing loan deals with an option to buy for Coman and Dembele. They'd be relatively low risk but potentially massively rewarding options.

Splashing out £100 million plus for Sancho in the current climate just isn't realistic, nor does it make much financial sense. For once someone needs to stick two fingers up at Zorc, Watzke and Dortmund. This is their whole spiel: buy cheap, extort bigger clubs (unless it's Daddy Bayern). One day, it will bite them in the arse.

Sancho isn't the only option out there, and maybe calling BVB's bluff may get them to drop their demands a bit.
That sounds reasonable to me. Anyway we are so weak in the reserves I wonder if it would be folly to splash out on a single right wing. The idea quite frankly makes me feel uncomfortbale.

We need to load up on quality reaserves and I can imagine having Grealish, Coman, Tiago Silva etc players of that ilk would be fantastic for the team. Also a proper attacking wingback.

Would I swap all of that for Sancho? Hard to say. But personally happy to have him stay another year at Dortmund if we can bullet proof our squad.

Davicho

Greenwood will score 15+ if he starts the next season as our first choice RW. Don't think there are so many options in the market that can hit that mark.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Greenwood will score 15+ if he starts the next season as our first choice RW. Don't think there are so many options in the market that can hit that mark.
He's already scored 15+ without being a starter all season, I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see him in the 25 goal range next season, if he spends the season as our starting right winger.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
He's already scored 15+ without being a starter all season, I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see him in the 25 goal range next season, if he spends the season as our starting right winger.
So basically Sancho isn't going to add much to the team.

UpWithRivers

I think we should try steal Havertz from Chelsea. He can play on the right if Im not mistaken and can be backup for Fernandes meaning we dont need a Grealish. The worst thing we could do is splash 70/80 on a Traore type player who although is good is not going to help us kick on to the next level and not worth 70/80. I would rather go for Brooks as back up to Greenwood. Then spend the big transfer money - 70/80 on someone like Ndidi.

Jibbs

I'd get one of Sarr, Stengs or Daka.
Also I will make a bid for Havertz and try to convince him to join United instead of Chelsea.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
So basically Sancho isn't going to add much to the team.
I mean that's me just going overboard, I'd be happy with a similar output from this year. Sancho offers versatility and 20G + 20A which would be incredible in such a long season.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
If it wasn't realistic this year for Sancho I would have been fine with 2 years from Willian with Greenwood playing all across the front line.

red4ever 79

Give Lingard a run. He is in good form and has shown enough over the past two games that he is back to his best. He deserves another chance

Like f*ck

Deery

Dreary
If we can’t get Sancho I reckon we just go for Havertz instead

TheForgottenOne

If the rumours are true that Juventus want to unload some players, I would not mind getting Douglas Costa in. Still 29 and does offer some specific skills that we don't have. Got siderailed at Juve but if we can get him cheap it might be worth a punt for a short term stand in for Mason.

GBBQ

Sancho would obviously be immense and I hope this is just posturing and that we’ll be able to get a deal done. But if we can’t get the deal over the line then the form of Greenwood Rashford and Martial would mean we’d still be extremely potent with someone like Dembele or Coman for a season long loan and come back in for Sancho in winter or next summer transfer window.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
You could argue not signing Sancho could be a blessing in disguise for Greenwood's development. The more minutes he gets the better and Sancho would almost certainly cement that RW position. I could see a Scenario where we sign someone like Ryan Fraser instead and spend the money on another marquee signing or loan, like Coman as heavily touted.

Nick.

Loan with option to buy for Ousmane Dembele if Barca are open to it. I wouldn't spend on a second choice player.

Woodenlung

Ousmane Dembele and Douglas Costa mentioned in recent posts. Both pick up injuries fairly frequently. Dembele has been a disaster of a transfer for Barcelona. He's missed over a year for them. Stay well clear.

windycityfan

If I was Woody, I'd start preparing loan deals with an option to buy for Coman and Dembele. They'd be relatively low risk but potentially massively rewarding options.

Splashing out £100 million plus for Sancho in the current climate just isn't realistic, nor does it make much financial sense. For once someone needs to stick two fingers up at Zorc, Watzke and Dortmund. This is their whole spiel: buy cheap, extort bigger clubs (unless it's Daddy Bayern). One day, it will bite them in the arse.

Sancho isn't the only option out there, and maybe calling BVB's bluff may get them to drop their demands a bit.
Love this. As much as I’d love Sancho, the club needs depth and more infusion of talent, competition. Coman, Dembele, Costa, a “cheap’’ Thiago, maybe Coutinho, while splurging a little on that elusive center back (Koulibaly?), a pure striker. Why not?

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
You play the best right inside winger in the league. Greenwood’s exponential curve is mind blowing - don’t touch it

Arka_BleedingRed

Out of our current front 3, Martial is the only one with some consistency right now, Rashford has a back injury to completely heal from, Mason, however good he is, is just 18. We absolutely need someone sharing the goalscoring/creative load in the wings with them, whether Sancho comes or not. We need to move fast now in the market, as there are a few risky but cheaper, adequate option available now.

Leon Bailey, Coman, Ousmane, Sarr we have to go for any one of them, even if Sancho comes, which is looking unlikely at the moment. Another couple of interesting options are interesting in Milot Rashica from Werder Bremen Chiesa from Fiorentina.

Welbeckham

Is Coman even that good?

Also AWB and Sarr on the same wing would be quite frustrating because neither can really pass the ball. Sarr is potentially frightening player, but I don’t really see him developing into a world beater, does he have the technical ability for that?

hubbuh

Had a quick look at Ousmane Dembélé's recent output as he's touted as an option and apparently he only played 5 times (lah) in La Liga last season?! I'm not sure we're the place for him at the moment.

romufc

The problem with getting an alternative is he will come here, from the first game no one is going to be happy or excited about him. Everyone will compare him to Sancho, "if we just paid the money and got sancho".

It is an unfair situation a player might find himself in.

Superunknown

The last thing we need to be doing is getting a KwikSave type player because we missed out on X player. Whoever we add to the squad needs to be a quality player that fits in with what we're trying to do for the long term and is a player that's going to get us much closer to where we need to be.

I don't have my heart set on any specific players, because you never quite know who is going to come along and be the next big thing. I just hope that we do our homework properly and don't panic when there are days left of the window and blow it on the wrong player who inevitably takes up a place in the squad and we then struggle to move on in seasons to come. We need to be past that. Fernandes has shown that we know how to make good signings, so we need more of that calibre.

The other problem is that we have various areas of the squad that also needs addressing. Buying one player isn't going to suddenly make us title winners. I would be satisfied if we missed out on the right wing but addressed other areas of the squad.

hungrywing

You could argue not signing Sancho could be a blessing in disguise for Greenwood's development. The more minutes he gets the better and Sancho would almost certainly cement that RW position. I could see a Scenario where we sign someone like Ryan Fraser instead and spend the money on another marquee signing or loan, like Coman as heavily touted.
You could, and one who did so wouldn't be too far wrong.

But also, in theory, if OGS could map out a season like I believe SAF did, then Martial/Rashford/Greenwood/Sancho could all get forty games/similar minutes.

Lee565

Real zaragoza's Oyarzable is really the next best thing after sancho to fill the right wing.

It's a shame we have such rubbish full backs going forward otherwise we could have tried to go with a diamond midfield instead of having wingers for the following season and recruit in a more creative central midfielder or attacking midfielder rather than panicking about the right wing for another window/season.

Strelok

I would like someone who can cross. We're so dreadful in this department. To cut inside we already have Greenwood.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
In answer to the OP we should loan someone who can be an upgrade on James/rotation option for Greenwood and then go back in for Sancho next summer.

LeeSharpeShuffle

Personally I would recommend not signing him this year, £100 million in this climate is an obscene amount of money for one player. I would use Mason Greenwood as our first choice right winger, I think he has earned it by being (with Tony) the most consistent post lockdown performer. I like the look of the 22 year old Dynamo Kiev captain Victor Tsygankov as cover. He can play on either flank and as an attacking midfielder, 45 goals and 24 assists in 85 league matches, 7 goals in 24 in the Europa. A very promising young footballer that would cost £15-20 million who is way more developed than our current ‘squad’ players in those positions. Our main focus should be on a dominant mobile defensive midfielder, an experienced left back that is not made of glass, and a back up CF. We have too many needs to use the entire transfer budget on 1 player in my opinion

Reactions: Jippy

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Give Lingard a run. He is in good form and has shown enough over the past two games that he is back to his best. He deserves another chance

Like f*ck
He hasn't performed for 18 months. All he deserves is his P45

Chief123

Can Grealish work on the right wing?
Absolutely not. He would be so ineffective there.
He’s a right footed play maker who does not have blistering pace or acceleration. It would just be another case of shoe horning a player into the RW who is not comfortable there.

Chief123

Personally I would recommend not signing him this year, £100 million in this climate is an obscene amount of money for one player. I would use Mason Greenwood as our first choice right winger, I think he has earned it by being (with Tony) the most consistent post lockdown performer. I like the look of the 22 year old Dynamo Kiev captain Victor Tsygankov as cover. He can play on either flank and as an attacking midfielder, 45 goals and 24 assists in 85 league matches, 7 goals in 24 in the Europa. A very promising young footballer that would cost £15-20 million who is way more developed than our current ‘squad’ players in those positions. Our main focus should be on a dominant mobile defensive midfielder, an experienced left back that is not made of glass, and a back up CF. We have too many needs to use the entire transfer budget on 1 player in my opinion
The problem is if we decide not to sign him this year, we’re essentially giving up hope of signing him at all. There will absolutely be a queue of teams for him next summer. And we by no means will be his preferred choice.

It’s either we buy him this summer or bite the bullet and see him flourish for the next 10 years at a rival premier league team.