What should we do for the right wing if we don't get Sancho in the upcoming window?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Really think Traore will be a 'timebomb' signing. His greatest attribute is obviously his electric pace and strength, but that's not going to hold up with that much upper-body mass.

He'd probably be good/better than good for 2 more seasons, but for me you can't spend that much on such questionable end product combined with a real question of what you have left when he loses a touch of pace.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
You make it sound like it's a new problem? Last summer no one expected even Greenwood to be an option so it was James/Andreas/Lingard and hope for the best
When you think about it going into last season with the squad we had was far worse than if we make no more signings this year. Our current attacking options minus VDB, Bruno and Ighalo. Absolute scandal.

Resch

If we do not have a right winger, use a formation and a tactic, which does not need one. To play Oles 4231 we would need a RW and a DM. But we have more players at the 8 and 10. Play a 4-2-2-2 like
Fred - Pogba
Bruno -------------VdB
Martial-----Rashford

Matic and McT could replace Fred and Pogba
Mata, Lingard, Pereira are backups for Bruno and VdB
Greenwood for our forwards

Start pressing our opponents! Try to force errors!

Indigofink

Sarr is a good player with loads of potential... would be a good signing and much cheaper than Sancho as an overall package leaving money that we desperately need to spend elsewhere. Would really like Sancho but if it isn't happening then just walk away and move on... these sagas continue to damage the reputation of the club. It's clear we need a massive restructure at corporate level... this is what? Seven seasons of embarrassing failures with transfer negotiations?? Also WTF is happening with our scouts - do we actually have a scouting system... if so they all need the sack!

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
When you think about it going into last season with the squad we had was far worse than if we make no more signings this year. Our current attacking options minus VDB, Bruno and Ighalo. Absolute scandal.
Exactly, I'm at the point now of being over this transfer window and I hope it's the message Ole is giving the players as well. Forget about transfers and just get our shit together

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Absolutely left him off but we would have to overpay for him. Still would be a huge upgrade and still only 24.

Just saw some Twitter rumors on Calvin Stengs from PSV. Good prospect but I feel like he would need some time to adapt to the physicality of the league. I don't remember him standing out when we played them, but I also forgot what I had for breakfast today. Anyone remember how he did against us?
Stengs is an AZ Alkmaar player not PSV but he’s absolutely not ready for United. A good winger but he wouldn’t come close to starting for us.

In 2 years when he’s moved elsewhere billed up and matured it would be worth revisiting but there’s nothing to suggest he’s any better than Chong would be in a similar set up.

AZ fan here btw (United mainly)

AsonUnique

Stengs is an AZ Alkmaar player not PSV but he’s absolutely not ready for United. A good winger but he wouldn’t come close to starting for us.

In 2 years when he’s moved elsewhere billed up and matured it would be worth revisiting but there’s nothing to suggest he’s any better than Chong would be in a similar set up.

AZ fan here btw (United mainly)
Sorry for mixing the teams up. I know we had played him this year though and don't remember him standing out. Thanks for that breakdown.

croadyman

Know there has been a lack of links to alternatives but who do you reckon is top of that list

roseguy64

He won't. Dan James or some other cheaper new signing will play there when he can't.

Mason will be first choice this season now. Glazers aren't trying to win the title.
James is much better on the left. He should only play there unless our first choice RW and Greenwood are out. Then he plays on the right.

Jeremie Boga apparently being available for £28m (Romano - Tier 1) is just begging for somebody to buy him. He's exactly the profile of player we need - a livewire 1v1 dribbler with end product, a chaos creator against the low block. The only downside is that he has a far bigger body of work on the left-wing, although he's played on the right in seasons past and is pretty two-footed.

If it's true that Leeds are willing to pay £15m for Dan James (Phil Hay - The Athletic - Tier 1 for Leeds) then it would be a form of madness not to upgrade to Boga for £13m. Especially as Boga is apparently only on £18k per week at Sassuollo.

Another similar profile option is Mounir Chouiar. Apparently available for just £15m. Again, an exceptional 1v1 dribbler with wicked Trent-esque delivery who loves one touch interplay. He's one of those players who just oozes high football IQ when you watch him. He would speed our game up no end. To date he's done most of his work on the left, but for the last half of the season he excelled in a free role starting from the 10 position and floating to the right. He's more of a Mahrez-style technical dribbler, but again a chaos creator - which is what we desperately need against low-block teams.

We don't need to spend the earth to massively upgrade our attacking options.

This is a pretty good starting point of the style of player we desperately need:

Just, please, for the love of everything.... not Sarr. He's just another 'gotta go fast' player. A minorly upgraded Dan James who, like him, will offer absolutely nothing against low-block teams. I genuinely shudder to think of an AWB/Sarr right-wing - especially knowing that we'd likely have spent circa £90m for the privilege.

Last edited:

Devil may care

Sarr isn't remotely close to good enough, it's obvious at this point we've screwed the pooch on the sancho deal by trying to be billy big balls while having no leverage to do so.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think this has been stated to death already - Mason cannot play 50 games this year as a right winger.
If we have faith in Greenwood, we actually don’t need another expensive starter for RW, all we need is decent backup for squad rotation, someone much cheaper than Sancho, but better than James. There should be a lot of choices.

NoPace

Oyarzabal gets 10-12 goals every year for Sociedad and he looks a clever passer. Left footed, 23 years old. Hasn't made his big move yet. Seems like a reasonable Van De Beek style buy.

JuriM

Oyarzabal gets 10-12 goals every year for Sociedad and he looks a clever passer. Left footed, 23 years old. Hasn't made his big move yet. Seems like a reasonable Van De Beek style buy.
He is super super expensive, Real Sociedad has ambitious to become a top4 side. And I doubt anyone would get him anything less than 75m€.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He is super super expensive, Real Sociedad has ambitious to become a top4 side. And I doubt anyone would get him anything less than 75m€.
He's also fiercely loyal to La Real, I genuinely think he wouldn't leave for us.

croadyman

My options:

1. Sancho
2. Bale on loan & try Sancho again the next window
3. Same as above, but Dembele on loan instead
4. Same as above, but Perisic on loan instead
5. Adama Traore
6. Brooks
7. Sarr

If we buy someone that's not Sancho, I preferably would like them to already be accustomed to the league, hence in why I am missing out someone like Chiesa
Well right now I would say that 4 or 6 look the most likely out of that list

thomas porter

What about Adnan on loan? Would offer some much needed creativity and has EPL experience...

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I know it's too late but I would have loved a loan for Kubo from Real Madrid.

NoPace

Fair enough. We could also just buy Aouar and play a 4-2-2-2 like Leipzig, or use Greenwood or Rashford out right. I am less into fit than talent overall I guess, since I don't think we have a system anyways.

Robaldo

Right wing’s been a priority for how many years now?

I’m not of the opinion that it has to be Sancho (£108m is silly in this market) but if the club haven’t made serious enquiries for alternatives then that’s inept - which we all know the board are, of course!

The Irish Connection

Jeremie Boga apparently being available for £28m (Romano - Tier 1) is just begging for somebody to buy him. He's exactly the profile of player we need - a livewire 1v1 dribbler with end product, a chaos creator against the low block. The only downside is that he has a far bigger body of work on the left-wing, although he's played on the right in seasons past and is pretty two-footed.

If it's true that Leeds are willing to pay £15m for Dan James (Phil Hay - The Athletic - Tier 1 for Leeds) then it would be a form of madness not to upgrade to Boga for £13m. Especially as Boga is apparently only on £18k per week at Sassuollo.

Another similar profile option is Mounir Chouiar. Apparently available for just £15m. Again, an exceptional 1v1 dribbler with wicked Trent-esque delivery who loves one touch interplay. He's one of those players who just oozes high football IQ when you watch him. He would speed our game up no end. To date he's done most of his work on the left, but for the last half of the season he excelled in a free role starting from the 10 position and floating to the right. He's more of a Mahrez-style technical dribbler, but again a chaos creator - which is what we desperately need against low-block teams.

We don't need to spend the earth to massively upgrade our attacking options.

This is a pretty good starting point of the style of player we desperately need:

Just, please, for the love of everything.... not Sarr. He's just another 'gotta go fast' player. A minorly upgraded Dan James who, like him, will offer absolutely nothing against low-block teams. I genuinely shudder to think of an AWB/Sarr right-wing - especially knowing that we'd likely have spent circa £90m for the privilege.
I like this post, good to suggest top dribblers. I’d be happy to take a punt on Boga for that kind of money, someone who loves taking defenders on at pace would be great.
Strange that Traore isn’t on that graph, he beats players for fun too.

starman

Thauvin might be worth a look, I know he's just back from injury, but he's in his last year of his contract, and Marseille are apparently strapped for cash. 20m might be enough to get him.

Last edited:

starman

But with his contract set to expire next June, and no extension on the table as things stand, Thauvin’s future at the Stade Velodrome is in serious doubt.

“I believe that this is a matter that should have been settled a long time ago, that a player in my position should not find himself in this situation today,” says the 2018 World Cup winner.

“I have no choice but to think about (leaving). I do not have a contract proposal from OM. The reality is, that in June, I will be without a club.

“Either I stay at OM, or I go abroad. I will study both options. First, there is the sporting aspect.

“What is the sporting project at OM? What will the club’s goals be? How important will I be in this project? Will I be one of the major players on the team? Will anyone want to build with me, around me ? What responsibilities will I be given?”

Thauvin’s comments should give hope to both Aston Villa and Leicester, who were reportedly keen to tie up a cut-price £13 million deal for the one-time Newcastle United youngster before the window slams shut
I mean, 13m for a proper left footed right winger, its less than what I initially thought...

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
The only options we have without Sancho realistically is Sarr. If we managed to get him and Telles it would be ok.

KW2006

Play Pogba there.

1. Fast.
2. Can beat a man.
3. Can cross.
4. Can pass.
5. Can shoot.
6. Always lose possession and a bit useless in the middle of the park.
7. Huge wages and no one would buy him off us.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Play Pogba there.

1. Fast.
2. Can beat a man.
3. Can cross.
4. Can pass.
5. Can shoot.
Good go no. Hasn’t got the acceleration or positional sense. Nor does he run in behind enough it would be a disaster.

DickDastardly

Play Pogba there.

1. Fast.
2. Can beat a man.
3. Can cross.
4. Can pass.
5. Can shoot.
1. No
2. No
3. Ok
4. He might, but he won't.
5. On target?
6. He would do it even more on the wing.
7. Whoopsie daisy...

DickDastardly

Leave Greenwood there and invest in a proper right back. Maybe also buy/loan some cheap competition like Sarr/ Perišić .
Yep. Give Mason play time.

But without buying more crap players please. We'll just end up giving them huge wages.

We can't even unload the feckers that played last when Moyes was here.

RuudTom83

When Mason needs a rest, push Bruno wider on the right (but with a somewhat free role) and play Donny or Pogba in the no.10 role.

Then pick two from Matic/McTom/Fred to play the 2 roles in midfield.

Basically you can use Bruno to rest any of the front three...it has to be better than fielding James or Lingard.

Lee565

Anyone else think Pereira from west Brom would be a shrewd signing, I can't imagine he would be crazy expensive and could imagine he would really push for the chance to move to united.

starman

Atletico are trying to get rid of Thomas Lemar, I doubt anyone will paid what they want but maybe could be a interesting option on loan

cptkeane1993

When Mason needs a rest, push Bruno wider on the right (but with a somewhat free role) and play Donny or Pogba in the no.10 role.

Then pick two from Matic/McTom/Fred to play the 2 roles in midfield.

Basically you can use Bruno to rest any of the front three...it has to be better than fielding James or Lingard.
I agree with this. The formation should be based on players available rather than being so rigid that we cannot put out our best available XI

Redcy

fecking he’ll play Bruno rw, our best player and you want to feck him over. What’s wrong with people.