What should we do for the right wing if we don't get Sancho in the upcoming window?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I did...did you read when I said Liverpool's midfield is perfect for their system
Yes I did. But I wasn't referring to that.

I was referring to when you said their midfield is better than our midfield. In TAA vs AWB, your view is they are equal based on one is better in attack while the other is better in defend. What about the midfield. Offensively our midfield is better but defensively their midfield is better. I don't think it's fair to make such a judgment at this stage that we have better midfield since you are ignoring the aspect that their midfield are better at.

I'll say it one last time Liverpool are better defensively than us. The scenario the people who say we can challenge for the title is one where Rashford and Martial continue their good form as well as Pogba Bruno and Sancho if brought in. And you cannot come to the conclusion that if these players perform as expected that Liverpool's attack is superior to ours when these players - Rashford Sancho Martial are bringing similar stats to Liverpool's attacking trio. I'd say it's more realistic to expect Rashford Sancho Martial to continue their form than to drop.

This is the scenario

Current Rashford Current Martial and Current Sancho are as good as current Mane Firmino and Salah and the stats proves it. I'll say it again nobody is working with Rashford Martial and Sancho's form dropping drastically. We all expect them to keep performing or don't you?

Pogba Bruno and Fred are better than Liverpool's midfield.

Liverpool's defense is better than ours
This is where the difference between world class and just top player. The main reason why Mane & Salah last season & two seasons were able to score 20+ & 30+ league goal and maintain their form which what makes them world class players. The fact that Sancho doesn't choose Liverpool as his destination because he knows he won't be able to start over Salah & Mane at the moment.

I never say I expect them not to keep performing. Right now there is no proof whether they can maintain it until end of the season.

I'm putting my expectation into more realistic way, nothing negative about it. Young players tend to drop their form which is common. But when they can do it, that's when we are closing the gaps.

With this squad we can challenge for the title. I never said we will challenge or win the title but it's something that looks achievable looking at our current squad plus Sancho
I never said it's not achievable though.

And for the Wjnaldum point if that's not how football works then how come Aubameyang brought his form from Dortmund in a lesser league and became highest goal scorer here.
Yeah so why Kagawa & Mkhytaryan couldn't do it? May be it should give you good picture that Bundesliga is still below EPL which I'm sure both of us should agree in this but don't know why are you still persistent trying to make some justice from your comparison of Sancho vs Salah.

seegoblu

This is one of my favorite threads. I wake up every morning and open this page hoping to see @UnitedAcademy taking on the whole Caf universe. "Moving the goal posts" and never conceding a point no matter how twisted the argument gets. Great fun...

Of course United CAN compete for the title next year. Teams' form fluctuate year to year as do their players' form. Is it more likely than not that United's much younger team continues to improve next year? Yes, I believe it is. Is it possible that the age and extra miles on Liverpool's front three catch up to them next year? Yes, I believe it is possible. Is there a history of clubs making up significant points deficits from year to year to win a title (and certainly to compete for one), absolutely as the past 8 years have PROVEN (regardless of the hows and whys of it, it is indisputable fact that teams have won the title after finishing well behind the prior year).

While all things are possible, to me the question is, given the recent form of United with a less than complete squad (i.e., no Pogba and no Rashford), the return of those players AND the addition of Sancho to fill the biggest (but not only) hole in the starting XI, how likely is it that the continued rise of United and the end of Liverpool's unsustainable run of form (does anyone think that performing at the Invincibles level for back to back years is realistic) doesn't close the gap? Not necessary eliminate the gap, but close the gap to a competitive level.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
How was Salah already workd class he never did this at Roma like he is in Liverpool and ferminho and mane weren't either are you even a united fan you seam too into other teams you prob support us to mosn never celebrate success always looking at negatives instead of positives
Salah literally scored 32 league goals, 22 league goals following season & 16 league goals currently. If that's not above Rashford level, not sure what do you wanna call it.

How is calling Rashford not a world class is being negative? The fact that I said I believe we can still challenging the league without signing Sancho and relying the current same players should tells you that I'm being positive about it because I acknowledge the potential of our current squad. However, at the same time I'm being realistic that I know both Rashford & Martial are still away from Mane & Salah.

steve88

Salah literally scored 32 league goals, 22 league goals following season & 16 league goals currently. If that's not above Rashford level, not sure what do you wanna call it.

How is calling Rashford not a world class is being negative? The fact that I said I believe we can still challenging the league without signing Sancho and relying the current same players should tells you that I'm being positive about it because I acknowledge the potential of our current squad. However, at the same time I'm being realistic that I know both Rashford & Martial are still away from Mane & Salah.
Yer at Liverpool you said before he joined he was workd class no one thought he would be this good

You never said we will challenge you said we won't dona leicester,Chelsea or Liverpool as they are too good and your putting down are players level liverpool front 3 have a whole 2 seasons together before champions league last year and 3 years this year

Infra-red

This is one of my favorite threads. I wake up every morning and open this page hoping to see @UnitedAcademy taking on the whole Caf universe. "Moving the goal posts" and never conceding a point no matter how twisted the argument gets. Great fun...

Of course United CAN compete for the title next year. Teams' form fluctuate year to year as do their players' form. Is it more likely than not that United's much younger team continues to improve next year? Yes, I believe it is. Is it possible that the age and extra miles on Liverpool's front three catch up to them next year? Yes, I believe it is possible. Is there a history of clubs making up significant points deficits from year to year to win a title (and certainly to compete for one), absolutely as the past 8 years have PROVEN (regardless of the hows and whys of it, it is indisputable fact that teams have won the title after finishing well behind the prior year).

While all things are possible, to me the question is, given the recent form of United with a less than complete squad (i.e., no Pogba and no Rashford), the return of those players AND the addition of Sancho to fill the biggest (but not only) hole in the starting XI, how likely is it that the continued rise of United and the end of Liverpool's unsustainable run of form (does anyone think that performing at the Invincibles level for back to back years is realistic) doesn't close the gap? Not necessary eliminate the gap, but close the gap to a competitive level.
Liverpool finished 31 points ahead of us last season and are 37 points ahead of us now. One would hope that we don't drift any further, of course, but our main aim for next year has to be getting in the top 4, which is something we've only managed twice in the last six years.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
The premier league has changed considerably over the last 10 years where you just cannot tell what will happen. If you now look at the players at our disposal with the addition of 2 players we have to expect a challenge. Liverpool have had an amazing season. We have seen it in the past with Chelsea when they walked the league under Conte and the next season they struggled. City have had 2 outstanding campaigns and fallen of this. This is Liverpools second brilliant season, I expect a slight drop from this season.

If the teams on top are going to drop a level and we pick up a level, we should be up there.

I have seen with the poster, any evidence comes with a OH BUT.
As you have seen from today’s show he won’t accept another opinion and when proved wrong or shown stats he moves the goal posts.
That's like saying if Ronaldo could win ballon dor 5x then Rashford can win 5x as well.

You replied to my post that mentioned "If we sign Sancho or new RW now, we’ll still battle for 4th place anyway. That new RW isn’t going to closed that 37 points gaps with Liverpool".

I never actually mentioned this "couple signings" to begin with, the point was if we only sign Sancho or RW this summer.
An the award for worst analogy goes to...

Anyway you’ve consistently until this post ignored the fact people have not said Sancho alone will have that effect.
Such a terrible analogy
Agreed
How is that comparable? Players like Ronaldo don't come often, him and messi are on another level.

Do you understand that the points recovered were by 3 different teams? Leicester, Chelsea and Liverpool?

Even if we sign Sancho, top 4 would not be what we will be challenging. Without Pogba, Bruno we are challenging for top 4, so with Pogba back, Bruno in the team and hopefully a RW, we can challenge for the title yes.
Don’t come in here with logic and a sound argument. Are Leicester Ronaldo? No so be quiet.
That's exactly what I'm saying. What Liverpool did in the last two seasons is on another level compared to what Chelsea & Leicester did.

So from this "couple signings" to RW now. Okay, you know what, I can't keep going back and forth talking about this.

Like I've mentioned before if we want to be closed to Liverpool's level, we'll need to have Salah & Mane similar level means Rashford & Martial will need to step up into world class level. One RW alone without those two stepping up into world class won't make us to be close on Liverpool's level. To put it simple, the current Rashford, Martial & Sancho are still way below their front three.
Statistically our forwards this season have put up comparable figures.
The point I was making is that what both Chelsea & Leicester did to win the league in 2016 & 2017 is not comparable to what Liverpool is doing right now. In other word, it's on different level, it's exactly like comparing Rashford level to Ronaldo level.
And we’ve added already and have shown we are capable of beating them and other top 4 sides this season. It’s the smaller sides we need to beat to gain our points and with Sancho, Bruno and Pogba playing together there is 3 players to make a huge difference in the games where we face more stringent defences.
Let's look at the stats of the attackers this season in th

Rashford - 14 goals 6 assist in 22 games
Mane - 14 goals 9 assists in 26 games

Martial - 11 goals 3 assist in 23 games
Firmino - 8 goals 7 assists in 29 games

Sancho - 17 goals 17 assists in 27 games (Holy shit!!)
Salah -16 goals 6 assists in 26 games

These stats are only from the premier league and Bundesliga and as you can see our attack which is young and can only get better matches up to theirs. The Bundesliga has obviously caused Sancho's stats to skyrocket but I'm not going to use that to reduce his quality as a player. If you like you can take away 10 g+a contributions from Sancho to make it fairer and it still matches up

On our midfield I'd say Liverpool has a midfield trio that perfectly suits their system. But we can't judge Bruno Pogba and Fred trio because we haven't seen them. However pick them out individually and our midfield is superior to theirs

On defence only Van Dijk and Robertson is better than what we have in our starting line up. Our RB is the best in defense and theirs is the best in attack. And Maguire is the better than their 2nd CB. Overall though I'd say their defense is better

It's hard to compare the bench but I'll give you this one and say Liverpool's is slightly better even though I'm not so sure tbh

Overall Liverpool is better but we can't say it's impossible to challenge them for the title when our squad plus Sancho is almost as good as theirs
How dare you come in here with your statistics. Filth!
Both of their midfield & full back have different way to offer compare to ours. For example they rely on their full back to create chances while we rely on our midfield to create chances. If our right back is better in defending than their right back, their midfield is better in defending than both Bruno & Pogba individually. You cannot just ignore the impact what their midfield & defenders can offer defensively & offensively.

Defensively they are the best in the league, only conceded 21 goals, while we conceded 30 goals, and they played Adrian as GK in some of their games. Offensively we scored 66 goals while we scored 44 goals.

The trio is the massive difference here. Not only their fitness is way off the chart compared to ours, Salah & Mane are proven capable to score 20+ league goals per season or even 30+ league goals while Martial, Sancho & Rashford are still not on that level yet which is why I believe even if we don't get Sancho or no, the first thing that will make us to challenge the league is that if both Rashford & Martial stepped up into world class level. In 5 months you might see them scoring similar number of goals, in the next following 5 months you'll expect them to maintain it consistently while ours might drop drastically. The difference of being world class.

And just to reduce your "holly shit" hype on Bundesliga stats. Haller scored 15 league goals & 9 assists 23 appearances with 6 subs with Frankfurt. While he only scored 7 league goals & 1 assist with West Ham 24 appearances with 3 subs.
Or another way to look at it without our best player and with injuries to key players throughout the season we still have the 3rd best defence in the league as it stands and 6th best attack. This is without our sole creative outlet at the start of the season Pogba. Since we had a fit creative outlet in Bruno we’ve been a joy to watch and much more potent. Having him, Pogba and Sancho will make a huge difference.

What Liverpool did was overcome a 25 point gap.. to challenge for the title. No one then thought it was a world class team.

No we don't, we need the whole team to step up. We could have Bruno, Pogba, Rashford, Martial, RW all at a very high level and still manage to overcome the points.
Will you please stop using facts to support your argument? It’s not fair!
In that season of the 25 point gap. Liverpool scored 84 goals. 2nd highest in the league, above United (68) & Spurs (74) and to make it even more promising they reached final CL. And the next window they signed Fabinho, Shaqiri & Allison while both Trent & Mane stepped up to different level. So it wasn't really just one signing + Van Dijk alone that makes them closing the gap.

I don't get what you're arguing on this one. I clearly have made myself clear enough multiple times that Sancho or this RW doesn't hold the key for us to catch Liverpool. So even with the exact current squad, we can still challenge the league but that's only if both Rashford & Martial step up to world class level.
Much better post from you here.

I would argue we are in an almost identical situation to that Liverpool side. Young players developing, some world class players a settled system of play and a couple of signings away from real progress.
Isn't this what you're doing. Ignoring the impact of what Bruno Pogba and Fred can have offensive and what Shaw and AwB can have defensively

For the second bolded part you can go back to my post where i said Liverpool has a better defense than us overall. And you say they have scored 22 more goals than us but so far this season Salah Mane and Firmino have all missed 6 matches combined meanwhile Rashford and Martial have missed 13 games combined. And plus we don't have Sancho who would have added to our goals scored. You're also ignoring Pogba and Bruno who would have added to our goals scored if they weren't absent through out the season

For the third bolded part The post I was referring to spoke about 'current level' and if we go by that Martial Rashford and Sancho have similar stats to Liverpool's trio.

For the 4th bolded part Aubameyang had 31 goals and 2 assists in his last full season at dortmund where he played 32 games. I don't know what you were trying to prove there
Top post!
So now you are changing the goal post? is it points that matter or goals scored? because Jose's second season we conceded one of the least goals, did we win the league year after?

Spurs got to the CL final last year and made 3 signings, are they fighting for the league? I do not get what you are getting at?

I have made it clear to that a RW is enough to catch liverpool / city if Pogba stays... Oh are you forgetting they sold Coutinho too that season?

If VVD can be the reason to close the gap, why can't Sancho.. Plus you are forgetting we got Bruno and Ighalo too. Rashford and Martial have stepped up this season havent they?

We need to be lucky with injuries, like Liverpoool have.
Don’t you get it you have to be able to argue to his criteria which can change on a whim.
How in your view that you think I'm changing the goal post?

I was making a point that despite of them being 4th place and 25 points behind, they reached final CL & their league goal scoring number showed some promising to be in the title challenger next following season. With the additional of both Mane & Trent massive improvement and spent 170m pounds on 4 players, they closed the gaps.

I don't know whether you are playing dumb on me here but I was actually expecting you to be smart enough to know the difference between Spurs & Liverpool situation.

Toby, Vertonghen, Rose are declining and they lost Trippier without replacing him. Liverpool wouldn't close that 25 points gaps if their defense is in decline & they lost Trent the next following season.

First of all VVD was already the best PL centre back at that time. Second, Salah was world class. Third, it wasn't just 1 signing that close the gaps but another 4 signings. Fourth, it wasn't just signings that close gaps but also the fact that both Mane & Trent made massive improvement to different level which make the losing Coutinho as a small loss.

I don't get what you are getting at. The fact that I said we can still challenge the league with the current squad sums up that I'm not ignoring the others like Bruno & Ighalo, that's pretty much tells you that we have the core to challenge the league but we don't have world class attackers to win us. Both Rashford & Martial have stepped up but they'll still need to go further like what Mane did last season and what Salah did in his first season.

The fact that Sancho doesn't want to join Liverpool because he knows won't start over Mane or Salah which should give you the point here.
Why do you always call people dumb when they make valid criticisms of your stance?
I did...did you read when I said Liverpool's midfield is perfect for their system

I'll say it one last time Liverpool are better defensively than us. The scenario the people who say we can challenge for the title is one where Rashford and Martial continue their good form as well as Pogba Bruno and Sancho if brought in. And you cannot come to the conclusion that if these players perform as expected that Liverpool's attack is superior to ours when these players - Rashford Sancho Martial are bringing similar stats to Liverpool's attacking trio. I'd say it's more realistic to expect Rashford Sancho Martial to continue their form than to drop.

This is the scenario

Current Rashford Current Martial and Current Sancho are as good as current Mane Firmino and Salah and the stats proves it. I'll say it again nobody is working with Rashford Martial and Sancho's form dropping drastically. We all expect them to keep performing or don't you?

Pogba Bruno and Fred are better than Liverpool's midfield.

Liverpool's defense is better than ours

With this squad we can challenge for the title. I never said we will challenge or win the title but it's something that looks achievable looking at our current squad plus Sancho

And for the Wjnaldum point if that's not how football works then how come Aubameyang brought his form from Dortmund in a lesser league and became highest goal scorer here.
The argument here is solid. If you expect Mane, Salah and Firmino to perform again next year then surely the same must apply to Rashford Martial and Sancho.

You either give everyone the benefit of the doubt and look at best cases or you deliberately disadvantage one side of the argument without any reason to.

Mane & Salah are capable proven to score 20+ & 30+ league goals.

I didn't underplay VVD effect. I'm making a point that VVD wasn't the only thing that change Liverpool.

I didn't ignore our young players improving every years.

So where is this negative you are talking about. Quote & highlight it. Don't talk non-sense.
Just read your own posts and the way they sound. You’ll see what everyone is getting at hopefully.

Rashfords current performances and goals are on a par with Salah. It would be unfair to compare a peak Salah in a settled side with a Rashford learning under Mourinho with a change of manager regularly.

Feel free to ignore the above but I’d really like these questions answered by yourself.

What do you consider world class to mean for a winger?

What do you think we need to close the gap on Liverpool as things current stand?

What criteria would Rashford/Martial/Sancho have to meet for you to accept them being of good enough quality to compete with Liverpool’s front 3?

Thank you for your time

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yer at Liverpool you said before he joined he was workd class no one thought he would be this good
The poster was pointing the season (Salah's first season) how Liverpool were 25 points gaps with City and somehow they closed the gaps in the next following season (Salah's 2nd season). So yes I was talking about him at Liverpool's first season & his second season.

You never said we will challenge you said we won't dona leicester,Chelsea or Liverpool as they are too good and your putting down are players level liverpool front 3 have a whole 2 seasons together before champions league last year and 3 years this year
I never say we won't do Liverpool. The poster was making Leicester/Chelsea with Liverpool case as the same case. I mentioned that Leicester had a freak season while Conte inherit a winning title squad of Chelsea. It's not comparable to what Klopp & Ole are doing with Liverpool & United. Both manager had to rebuild & develop the team/squad & it takes time.

Poster said if we sign Sancho it's possible to challenge the league because Liverpool did it with Van Dijk. I made a point that Van Dijk wasn't the only reason that close that 25 points gaps.

And yes I did say we'll challenge or close the gaps with Liverpool (Check out two of my posts below). I believe signing Sancho or no it won't matter, the current squad has great potential to do so. The ones that will make the difference will be when both Martial & Rashford reach their world class potential.

I don't get where is the negative here?

That's exactly what I'm saying. What Liverpool did in the last two seasons is on another level compared to what Chelsea & Leicester did.

So from this "couple signings" to RW now. Okay, you know what, I can't keep going back and forth talking about this.

Like I've mentioned before if we want to be closed to Liverpool's level, we'll need to have Salah & Mane similar level means Rashford & Martial will need to step up into world class level. One RW alone without those two stepping up into world class won't make us to be close on Liverpool's level. To put it simple, the current Rashford, Martial & Sancho are still way below their front three.
Both of their midfield & full back have different way to offer compare to ours. For example they rely on their full back to create chances while we rely on our midfield to create chances. If our right back is better in defending than their right back, their midfield is better in defending than both Bruno & Pogba individually. You cannot just ignore the impact what their midfield & defenders can offer defensively & offensively.

Defensively they are the best in the league, only conceded 21 goals, while we conceded 30 goals, and they played Adrian as GK in some of their games. Offensively we scored 66 goals while we scored 44 goals.

The trio is the massive difference here. Not only their fitness is way off the chart compared to ours, Salah & Mane are proven capable to score 20+ league goals per season or even 30+ league goals while Martial, Sancho & Rashford are still not on that level yet which is why I believe even if we don't get Sancho or no, the first thing that will make us to challenge the league is that if both Rashford & Martial stepped up into world class level. In 5 months you might see them scoring similar number of goals, in the next following 5 months you'll expect them to maintain it consistently while ours might drop drastically. The difference of being world class.

And just to reduce your "holly shit" hype on Bundesliga stats. Haller scored 15 league goals & 9 assists 23 appearances with 6 subs with Frankfurt. While he only scored 7 league goals & 1 assist with West Ham 24 appearances with 3 subs.

romufc

Don’t you get it you have to be able to argue to his criteria which can change on a whim.
I have given up with him and was not bothered to respond to his last post. There is no point when all the evidence is there and someone is unwilling to accept it.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I have given up with him and was not bothered to respond to his last post. There is no point when all the evidence is there and someone is unwilling to accept it.
Want to arrange a rota? You do Monday-Wednesday I’ll do Thursday - Saturday and we both get Sunday off?

I think it’s a real shame because if you push him he can come out with genuinely good arguments but then when you counter it all unravels.

I genuinely think he makes some good points but the moment you question it it’s lost.

You’d provided some good arguments and backed them up well to be fair.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
@BenitoSTARR

You agreed with me about it few days ago and now you changed your mind. You are so obsessed with me, you got some problem man. You can private chat with me about your problem and let it out instead of taking this into personal thing.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The league table says it all.

Mark Pawelek

I’d rather we didn’t do the alternate signing thing anymore, we’ve not officially even bid for Sancho or know where stand in regards to a few due to all the uncertainty in football money wise right now.

From how it looks Sancho won’t sign a new deal therefore Dortmund have a choice to sell at a premium now or half at best next summer when he’s got a year left or stick to their guns and most likely lose him on a free which isn’t how Dortmund operate especially after Lewandowski...
You always need to have an alternative signing option. Otherwise the target's club can just name whatever price they want. That's partly how Barcelona were robbed over Coutinho and Dembele.

We can't make a firm bid for Sancho until we're certain of Champions League football next season - otherwise he'll certainly reject us.

Sea-Cow

Liverpool finished 31 points ahead of us last season and are 37 points ahead of us now. One would hope that we don't drift any further, of course, but our main aim for next year has to be getting in the top 4, which is something we've only managed twice in the last six years.
Unfortunately, I agree with this.

If we make a big splashy signing, I would however feel that top four is the absolute fecking minimum. But expecting a title push is asking too much. Lets just see continued improvement and that we are heading in the right direction.

romufc

Want to arrange a rota? You do Monday-Wednesday I’ll do Thursday - Saturday and we both get Sunday off?

I think it’s a real shame because if you push him he can come out with genuinely good arguments but then when you counter it all unravels.

I genuinely think he makes some good points but the moment you question it it’s lost.

You’d provided some good arguments and backed them up well to be fair.
Looking at the post after this it seems you have upset him.

I do not mind when someone has good counter arguments, we are all here for opinions at the end of the day.

But to first say points total is too much, gave 3 examples then when someone counters with, one was a freak, one had a title team already and one team scored loads of goals...

It is clear that a 25 point gap can be made up because of the nature of the PL. Teams have ups and downs, a couple key injuries and that could the season done.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
@BenitoSTARR

You agreed with me about it few days ago and now you changed your mind. You are so obsessed with me, you got some problem man. You can private chat with me about your problem and let it out instead of taking this into personal thing.
I agreed Sancho alone wouldn’t do it much in the same way you argued Van Dijk didn’t do it alone etc make sure you read all my posts in context rather than pulling one comment out of context.

I even clarified it in the same sentence add in Pogba Bruno etc we can definitely do better than top 4 implying Sancho will push us even closer to a title I’ve since made my position quite clear.

I would still like the following answered as you’ve not given a solid position which we can debate to these points that you are contesting with others without explaining your position.

What do you consider world class to mean for a winger?

What do you think we need to close the gap on Liverpool as things current stand?

What criteria would Rashford/Martial/Sancho have to meet for you to accept them being of good enough quality to compete with Liverpool’s front 3?

I don’t believe you can criticise others arguments based on “world class” being the difference until you define it in your terms. Then based on your terms we can probably reach an agreement.

I have no issue with you personally I just think you need to listen to other opinions and stick to arguments

It’s ok to change your opinion btw not illegal

laughtersassassin

Just buy him. Unless he rejects us there is zero good reasons not to buy him when you consider everything.

Eli Zee

It makes all the sense in the world to buy him, unless he doesn’t want to come here. Saving a few million is not worth it when he can make us instant title challengers.

The other side of the coin is if we are trying to be smart with money and put an end to the Manchester United premium tax in the transfer market, there may be some transfers we have to miss by not raising our offer any further. In that case, going with any other RW that’s available, even if just for a year, is good too

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Unfortunately, I agree with this.

If we make a big splashy signing, I would however feel that top four is the absolute fecking minimum. But expecting a title push is asking too much. Lets just see continued improvement and that we are heading in the right direction.
Exactly! Why can't we just see the continuous improvement of the players first before we jump into unrealistic conclusion. Just because we are heading in the right direction doesn't mean we are going to be on the level of good enough for the challenging with only one more signing. There is a reason why Ole mentioned last year that it'll take years before we can catch up.

Leicester never expect & plan to win in the season when they actually won it. Conte inherit the Mourinho winning team. Nothing similar of their situation to ours. Nothing is impossible but we gotta be realistic at least for the expectation. We've been inconsistent this season which is common for young players and Sancho alone still won't solve the inconsistency issue.

Sea-Cow

Exactly! Why can't we just see the continuous improvement of the players first before we jump into unrealistic conclusion. Just because we are heading in the right direction doesn't mean we are going to be on the level of good enough for the challenging with only one more signing. There is a reason why Ole mentioned last year that it'll take years before we can catch up.

Leicester never expect & plan to win in the season when they actually won it. Conte inherit the Mourinho winning team. Nothing similar of their situation to ours. Nothing is impossible but we gotta be realistic at least for the expectation.
Yeah you were being a bit too argumentative for my tastes, but I agree with you.

We've got a young team full of exciting potential, and I hope they all exceed our expectations. But I don't think we're winning the title next year even if we sign Messi, much less Sancho.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Yeah you were being a bit too argumentative for my tastes, but I agree with you.

We've got a young team full of exciting potential, and I hope they all exceed our expectations. But I don't think we're winning the title next year even if we sign Messi, much less Sancho.
I think the argument is more there is a lot of potential and with our team very capable of beating the top 6 (I think we have the best record atm?) it’s not too much of a stretch to say if we get lucky with injuries like other teams have we would have the best chance in recent memory.

We wouldn’t be strong candidates but I think we’d enter into the equation especially given that key players are coming back or entering into what would be considered their peak years.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

At the end of the day it was just me defending my point that I wasn't being negative but I was just being realistic.

mshnsh

Let's look at the stats of the attackers this season in th

Rashford - 14 goals 6 assist in 22 games
Mane - 14 goals 9 assists in 26 games

Martial - 11 goals 3 assist in 23 games
Firmino - 8 goals 7 assists in 29 games

Sancho - 17 goals 17 assists in 27 games (Holy shit!!)
Salah -16 goals 6 assists in 26 games

These stats are only from the premier league and Bundesliga and as you can see our attack which is young and can only get better matches up to theirs. The Bundesliga has obviously caused Sancho's stats to skyrocket but I'm not going to use that to reduce his quality as a player. If you like you can take away 10 g+a contributions from Sancho to make it fairer and it still matches up

On our midfield I'd say Liverpool has a midfield trio that perfectly suits their system. But we can't judge Bruno Pogba and Fred trio because we haven't seen them. However pick them out individually and our midfield is superior to theirs

On defence only Van Dijk and Robertson is better than what we have in our starting line up. Our RB is the best in defense and theirs is the best in attack. And Maguire is the better than their 2nd CB. Overall though I'd say their defense is better

It's hard to compare the bench but I'll give you this one and say Liverpool's is slightly better even though I'm not so sure tbh

Overall Liverpool is better but we can't say it's impossible to challenge them for the title when our squad plus Sancho is almost as good as theirs
Stats do not paint the whole picture. The liverpool forwards have been unequivocally better than ours in recent seasons including this one.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Stats do not paint the whole picture. The liverpool forwards have been unequivocally better than ours in recent seasons including this one.
I’d agree they have been unequivocally better last season but this season?

I think there are two big differences in our side and Liverpool’s. Number 1, and perhaps most important, is injuries. We’ve had key injuries to key players creatively and to our best attackers but beyond that the attacking performance of Martial and Rashford (when fit together) has certainly matched up and at times exceeded the Liverpool forwards.

I do feel there is an argument to be had about goals/games ratios which would suggest a much closer contest at least for Rashford and Martial stacking up and so I don’t think it’s fair to say unequivocally because that means there is no doubt at all where I feel it’s very easy to cast doubt and propose a well backed argument.

The case where I feel you would be correct is if we were to compare the first front 3 to our front 3 on paper for just a present day quality comparison. For me there is only one glaring hole in United’s 3 whereas Liverpool have a complete forward line and therein lies the gulf between the sides which is perhaps what you meant?

Of course our current RW options are inferior to those of Liverpool’s but (and I may be on my own on this one) other than RW I certainly wouldn’t swap out our entire attack in a heartbeat and I guess that’s where the debate is to be had.

I for example would say id keep Rashford instead of any of Liverpool’s front 3 but I’m also looking through the lens of long term productivity for the club. I think he’s proven he can put up top level numbers and keep him fit and I’m sure he’d do the same and more next season.

Where there is absolutely no argument is with James/Greenwood. I would confidently replace those two with Salah or Mane and know you’re getting a much higher calibre of player (even if I am a big fan of both).

So I guess I’d rephrase it. Liverpool’s front three as a package is unequivocally better than our front 3 as a package due to our RW. But in isolation it’s not as clear cut.

mshnsh

I’d agree they have been unequivocally better last season but this season?

I think there are two big differences in our side and Liverpool’s. Number 1, and perhaps most important, is injuries. We’ve had key injuries to key players creatively and to our best attackers but beyond that the attacking performance of Martial and Rashford (when fit together) has certainly matched up and at times exceeded the Liverpool forwards.

I do feel there is an argument to be had about goals/games ratios which would suggest a much closer contest at least for Rashford and Martial stacking up and so I don’t think it’s fair to say unequivocally because that means there is no doubt at all where I feel it’s very easy to cast doubt and propose a well backed argument.

The case where I feel you would be correct is if we were to compare the first front 3 to our front 3 on paper for just a present day quality comparison. For me there is only one glaring hole in United’s 3 whereas Liverpool have a complete forward line and therein lies the gulf between the sides which is perhaps what you meant?

Of course our current RW options are inferior to those of Liverpool’s but (and I may be on my own on this one) other than RW I certainly wouldn’t swap out our entire attack in a heartbeat and I guess that’s where the debate is to be had.

I for example would say id keep Rashford instead of any of Liverpool’s front 3 but I’m also looking through the lens of long term productivity for the club. I think he’s proven he can put up top level numbers and keep him fit and I’m sure he’d do the same and more next season.

Where there is absolutely no argument is with James/Greenwood. I would confidently replace those two with Salah or Mane and know you’re getting a much higher calibre of player (even if I am a big fan of both).

So I guess I’d rephrase it. Liverpool’s front three as a package is unequivocally better than our front 3 as a package due to our RW. But in isolation it’s not as clear cut.
Trust me Salah and Mane are easily better players than both Rashford and Martial. They bring much more than goals compared to our forwards.

Honestly, i dont understand the hype behind Rashford. He is, for me, not United quality. However, I hope he proves me wrong.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Trust me Salah and Mane are easily better players than both Rashford and Martial. They bring much more than goals compared to our forwards.

Honestly, i dont understand the hype behind Rashford. He is, for me, not United quality. However, I hope he proves me wrong.
Tell us what Mane was doing at 22. And Martial should be compared to Firmino not Salah

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

Why should I just trust your opinion over stats and my own observations and opinion? Genuine question are you more qualified to make this judgement?

Do you have a history in football coaching/scouting etc?

If so I’d be intrigued to hear your insights.

Rashford is 22 years old. What makes you think he is not United quality? Can you give a basis for your argument?

fps

I don't trust you. You haven't made a convincing case.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Tell us what Mane was doing at 22. And Martial should be compared to Firmino not Salah
Mane at 22 was playing for RB Salzburg.

League - 33 games (2522 mins) 13 goals 13 assists

OFB Cup - 4 games (345mins) 5 goals 2 assists

Europa League - 11 games (865 mins) 5 goals 3 assists

Champions League Qualifying - 2 games (172 mins) 0 goals 0 assists

Mane Overall 22yo:
50 games (3903 mins) 23 goals 18 assists
Goal or assist every 95.195 mins

Obviously a much weaker league but doing well in that league.

Rashford overall this season:
31 games (2364 mins) 19 goals 6 assists
Goal or assist every 94.460 mins

I’d say Rashford was performing better at the same age he has a better goal and assist/mins player as well as better goals/mins played in a much stronger league during a period of transition without the teams best creative player.

Edit: Including g/a per mins

Last edited:

Jezpeza

Personally I would just bide our time. Rashford, james and greenwood could all play down the right in my opinion. Maybe a freebie or a loan option.

There is just no point in signing second rate fodder. We still end up massively overpaying and then We cant sell them on and they are shit. Had loads of that under LVG.

Nickelodeon

Ryan Fraser on a free doesn't sound too bad. If we're able to get Sancho a year on, we can sell off our worst squad option which could be anyone between Fraser, James etc.

flappyjay

Plan A get Sancho and a dm or AM. Plan B spunk all our summer budget on him get a dm, lb, cb next summer.

Luke1995

So now injury prone is the issue here. Then go for Daniel James, Greenwood, Chong & Gomes.

Like I said before it was one of the most stupid idea I have ever read. This is your 2nd replied and so far you have nothing to tell me what assets Williams has to be a winger. Not every full back can turn into winger.
He would need to improve his dribbling if he were to make the transition, he has good pace. But since that isn't likely, the best solution if we don't get Sancho is to go with Gomes. I think people mentioned Gomes is better suited for left wing but given how young he is i'm sure he could adapt. The issue is just if Gomes will be convinced to sign new contract.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He would need to improve his dribbling if he were to make the transition, he has good pace. But since that isn't likely, the best solution if we don't get Sancho is to go with Gomes. I think people mentioned Gomes is better suited for left wing but given how young he is i'm sure he could adapt. The issue is just if Gomes will be convinced to sign new contract.
Daniel James has it as well. Very strange choice consider all the options that the club has.

Luke1995

Daniel James has it as well. Very strange choice consider all the options that the club has.
I'm not sure about James potential though. He is a little bit inconsistent, got very good movement but sometimes his decision making as far as when to dribble and passing options let him down. Perhaps that should be expected with young players.

I suppose before thinking about changing Williams's position I should see if he can take the left back spot from Luke Shaw for good.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'm not sure about James potential though. He is a little bit inconsistent, got very good movement but sometimes his decision making as far as when to dribble and passing options let him down. Perhaps that should be expected with young players.

I suppose before thinking about changing Williams's position I should see if he can take the left back spot from Luke Shaw for good.
What makes you think William is the better one in that aspect?

Luke1995

What makes you think William is the better one in that aspect?
William's passing seems to have improved before the season was stopped in comparison to when he first entered the team. I think James is a better dribbler but I didn't notice a huge improvement in his passing.

Would have to go back and look at specific examples of performances to give you a more detailed answer.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
William's passing seems to have improved before the season was stopped in comparison to when he first entered the team. I think James is a better dribbler but I didn't notice a huge improvement in his passing.

Would have to go back and look at specific examples of performances to give you a more detailed answer.
Sure, I'm willing to wait for that specific example. However, at the same time, may be you could give a bit of credit on this quality pass as well.

Luke1995

Yeah that was a really good one. Let's see what happens when the season returns. I did see a thread on the cafe a while ago that was about James not being ''very good'' but i'm willing to wait and see how his development goes

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yeah that was a really good one. Let's see what happens when the season returns. I did see a thread on the cafe a while ago that was about James not being ''very good'' but i'm willing to wait and see how his development goes
There are people said one thing about James but there are people said another thing about James. He's not world class talent but definitely not someone you can replace or upgrade with Williams who isn't even a winger.