What should we do for the right wing if we don't get Sancho in the upcoming window?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
There are people said one thing about James but there are people said another thing about James. He's not world class talent but definitely not someone you can replace or upgrade with Williams who isn't even a winger.
Agreed. Stupid to try and convert a fullback into our main RW for next season even if we miss out on Sancho.

mshnsh

I don't trust you. You haven't made a convincing case.
Take away the counter attacks and Rashford is useless. Meaning he is a footballer who relies ALOT on his pace and technically is very average. He would not be a starter in the great United sides under Ferguson for sure.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I am not comparing them at similar ages, i am comparing them currently and in no way is Rashford currently as good as Mane
Mane is better but I'd think a 22 year old who has similar stats to him this season should be given more credit

jamesjimmybyrondean

Take away the counter attacks and Rashford is useless. Meaning he is a footballer who relies ALOT on his pace and technically is very average. He would not be a starter in the great United sides under Ferguson for sure.
It's going to be mshnsh vs the caf soon

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
An average technique shouldn't be able to do elastico twice this season. It's like saying Mbappe has average technique as well.

Mane is a better player currently but if you think Rashford is average technically then players like Bale & Mane should be in the same category.

jesperjaap

What? Technically he is actually very good, in that respect actually better than several players in the past great sides. ALong side his pace that is his greatest assett.

I do however think he is over rated and its his football intelligence and brain, finishing and other aspects that let him down from being a great player rather than a good one. I agree he wouldnt be a starter in any of the great sides btu your description fits Daniel James not Rashford

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Whoever converted Bale into winger is stupid
Agree on this one, it's not stupid to convert fullback to winger. Player like Dalot & Sessegnon (Spurs) are those full backs who have asset to be winger. We've seen history of how some full back can become a very good winger and Bale is one of the example who can go to the level of winning you something. However, that's only if the player has asset to be one and Williams doesn't have the asset to be one. It becomes more silly idea to nominate him before James, Greenwood, Chong & Dalot first.

Strelok

What.the.Feck ???

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Trust me Salah and Mane are easily better players than both Rashford and Martial. They bring much more than goals compared to our forwards.

Honestly, i dont understand the hype behind Rashford. He is, for me, not United quality. However, I hope he proves me wrong.
It's been a while since we saw posts like this.

RkkMan

Rashford agendas in 2020 you know:lol:
You`d think after the season he`s had fans would have a better educated opinion about him. This is like saying if my aunt had a dick she`d be my uncle, shouldn`t your concept be applicable to all fast attackers like Mbappe, Mane, Bale, Sane and the likes then?? For better context your opinion makes more sense if we are talking about Dan James but if you genuinely think Rashford of all people is average technically then you need to watch all of our games again. That free kick VS Chelsea is everything you need to know about "average" technique.

ROFLUTION

Go for Ryan Fraser on a free and wait for the next big player to be available. + Grealish

It's clear we need something, but we don't want to halt Greenwood's development for nothing neither

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think you're confusing technique with growing issues.

Rashford clearly had balance issues for a year or so when he suddenly shot up. His touch/agility was all over the place and he was struggling to do the simple things for a while.

Eventually he packed on a bit of muscle to match his lanky frame and we saw last season what he's becoming. He clearly has good technique in ball striking and quick feet/skills.

Did you see that clip of him in the training video the other day? A player with bad technique can't do that.

Mylock

Go for Ryan Fraser on a free and wait for the next big player to be available. + Grealish

It's clear we need something, but we don't want to halt Greenwood's development for nothing neither
I predict that if we don't get Sancho in the summer we'll go for someone like David Brooks, experienced in the PL and has high potential. We then can look to buy Sancho in 2021.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
This thread is fun.

Oh heaven forbid someone who is quick uses it in appropriate situations for the benefit of the team.

You know Ole himself describes our side as a counter attacking team and our great 08/09 sides were predominantly counter attacking sides too. If you’re playing in that set up you need your wide players to use pace. But to call him technically average when I would argue he consistently produces quality touches and dribbles which require that ability is very odd.

He is also still only 22 nobody is suggesting he’s peak Ronaldo but that doesn’t make him a poor technical player.

What do you class as a technical player if Rashford isnt one of ours?
Whoever converted Bale into winger is stupid
So because it worked for one player in a different team we should move Brandon Williams to RW?

Do you believe Brandon Williams will follow a similar career trajectory to Gareth Bale?

Do you believe Brandon Williams has the same playing style and ability as Bale did?
Agree on this one, it's not stupid to convert fullback to winger. Player like Dalot & Sessegnon (Spurs) are those full backs who have asset to be winger. We've seen history of how some full back can become a very good winger and Bale is one of the example who can go to the level of winning you something. However, that's only if the player has asset to be one and Williams doesn't have the asset to be one. It becomes more silly idea to nominate him before James, Greenwood, Chong & Dalot first.
It would be completely stupid to convert Williams to a RW.

But you are correct I shouldn’t generalise.

So let me be clearer. It would be stupid for Ole to convert any of our current fullbacks into wingers however there are degrees of stupidity so from most to least stupid fullback to convert to winger in our squad.

MOST to LEAST STUPID
Williams
-
-
Shaw
AWB
Laird
-
Dalot

So put a gun to my head and force me to make one of them a winger and it would be Dalot but that doesn’t mean I think it’s not still a stupid idea just less of a stupid suggestion than Williams.

romufc

Are you actually being serious? He is a threat on the counter attack does not mean that is the only way he influences games.

Have you seen the trickery Rashford has? he can beat a man in tight situations... those are not counter attacks.

Have you seen his shooting ability?

ROFLUTION

I predict that if we don't get Sancho in the summer we'll go for someone like David Brooks, experienced in the PL and has high potential. We then can look to buy Sancho in 2021.
He's talented but has barely played in 2019/2020 due to injury. I think a mix of an experienced older team/squad player in his prime years (Fraser is 26) is more fitting, when we already have James (22) and Greenwood (18). David Brooks isn't a dedicated winger imo neither. Is good in the space between wing and attacking midfielder.

Manutd1990

We should not buy any other right winger, unless he rejects us, and Tells us he wants Spain or London, then we need to look elsewhere
Consider Buendia, Norwich goes down, that is a good deal. Or maybe a wide striker. Werner comes to mind.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The guy that's been injured all season and hardly played for Bournemouth in the first place. He's another Dan James signing that won't help us in the short term.

Mark Pawelek

More and more rumours that United are actually trying to sign Thiago Almada. He is still only 19, but Sancho was already a success in Germany at the same age. Almada can play any attacking midfield position: left, centre or right.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
We should not buy any other right winger, unless he rejects us, and Tells us he wants Spain or London, then we need to look elsewhere
Consider Buendia, Norwich goes down, that is a good deal. Or maybe a wide striker. Werner comes to mind.
So I’ve done my homework on Buendia and I must say while I never really considered him as an option if we fail for Sancho it would be a clever and cost effective signing that does offer something genuinely different than James/Greenwood do.

He would be a very good player to compete with them but equally isn’t a pace merchant and appears to be more creative and a better passer/crosser than the two.

Sea-Cow

At the end of the day it was just me defending my point that I wasn't being negative but I was just being realistic.
Fair enough mate. I just prefer passive-aggressiveness, sarcasm, and eventually backing down and giving up.

romufc

Stats do not paint the whole picture. The liverpool forwards have been unequivocally better than ours in recent seasons including this one.
Yes, that is true. But they are playing in a team that is well oiled and consistent manager.

We have a manager whos been here 1 year, in the year our forwards have hardly had the chance to play together for a significant amount of time.

Liverpools have played 3 seasons in a row without any long term injuries.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Fair enough mate. I just prefer passive-aggressiveness, sarcasm, and eventually backing down and giving up.
Fair enough, but I would rather we are going on discussion rather than being sarcastic.

I made counter argument to counter the poster's point to discuss it rather than wind others up with sarcasm. Unfortunately some people just can't accept counter argument and when they can't respond then they use sarcasm to feel better and eventually back down.

Sea-Cow

Fair enough, but I would rather we are going on discussion rather than being sarcastic.

I made counter argument to counter the poster's point to discuss it rather than wind others up with sarcasm. Unfortunately some people just can't accept counter argument and when they can't respond then they use sarcasm to feel better and eventually back down.
Haha damn you're good

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Marcus Edwards

He initially caught my interest with his impressive performances for Spurs and England at youth level.

This is taken from a post of mine in 2017
Marcus Edwards is another top, top talent, glides through players with consummate ease, locomotion to take players out the game like his assist against Czech Republic at the U19 Championships
In this post I was proven to be incorrect when I predicted it was only a matter of time before Edwards was introduced in the starting berth for Spurs. Pochettino would reveal how he was disappointed by his attitude, and mentality. As illustrated below:

Pochettino said:
"He has authority and behavioural problems, and we have to look at the bigger picture to find out the root cause. There was a time when it would have been seen as impossible for him to play professionally, let alone make it in the Premier League. Our challenge is to get him to accept the pathway we've laid out for him, and it's our responsibility to make sure he behaves himself when he trains with the first team (with all the rules and obligations this involves)"
Marcus Edwards has admitted to having a questionable attitude -
Marcus Edwards said:
"I know I was a bit difficult when I was going through the academy."
However, it seems like going out of his comfort zone (currently plays in Portugal for Vitória S.C) has brought some much needed maturity.

One area which Marcus Edwards has matured in his game is his eagerness to receive the ball.

The above is from a game against Benfica this season.

Here he receives the ball by the touchline, and his immediate reaction is to pick out his teammates, as opposed to dribbling with his head down in an attempt to do it all by himself. This has been a criticism of him in the past. To digress for a brief moment, it was very recently when Daniel James received criticism for playing with tunnel vision against Man City, going for goal when Bruno Fernandes was in a better position.

I particularly liked this moment against Benfica. Nice vision here, tantalisingly close. It was put to a halt as the keeper came out. But the idea was good.

Before

Now against Porto, he once again has the ball up. This time its when he's moving at pace.

After

Perfect execution here as this defence splitting pass leads to one of the best opportunities in the game.

Marcus Edwards vs the big three in Portugal

Benfica:
It was an encounter where Vitória S.C. put in an admirable performances. Not a one sided affair by any stretches of the imagination. Without mentioning the instances of the pictures above, there was a moment of individual brilliance with a dribble in a tightly congested area. In terms of position, he was consistently situated in dangerous areas. Sometimes he was offering himself as an outlet by staying wide and providing width, other times he was finding himself in between Taarabt and Pires, other times positioned by the half spaces.

Porto:
So apart from the defence splitting pass which is in an image above, he had other noteworthy moments.The game against Porto offered a different dynamic to the one against Benfica, as Porto were very dominant. In any case, Edwards had a shot cleared off the line, with the keeper beaten. In the latter stages of the game he almost got a pre-assist,

Sporting CP:
• 5 of 7 dribbles completed
• 5 shot contributions
• 4 fouls won
• 1 goal

European Stage
Scored against Arsenal and Eintracht Frankfurt.

There was another moment against Arsenal I liked .... a flee footed dribble which started from his own half and ended by him advancing to the opposing box at a very high pace.

Areas he can improve

Sometimes he can be a bit soft. There was a moment against Benfica where Taarabt barely touched him, and he was on the floor. He did win a free kick, but I felt it was soft myself. Additionally, he's one footed, I remember him shifting his body to do an outside of the boot pass with his dominant left footed, instead of the much simpler option with just using his right foot. In the dying stages of the game against Porto, he did a fantastic job of trapping the ball dead, beat a player from that standing position, and then he spoiled it by attempting another a dribble. A dribble which wasn't neccessary, even if it was successful. The moment needed a desperate shot, or a last ditch pass. On that note, I'd like to see him shoot more.

How difficult would it be to get him?

He has a £13.6 million release clause to my knowledge. Potentially great from his perspective too, as I spotted numerous occasions where he was let down by his teammates.

Ignores the run of Edwards, and squares it instead.
Edwards in space, full back turns around
Edwards free on the right, player dribbles to the left touchline and then gets dispossessed

Stats:
FWR (Forward right) - 4 goals and 1 assist in 7 appearances = 7.85 WhoScored rating
AMR (Attacking midfield right) - 1 goal and 2 assists in 3 appearances = 7.41 WhoScored rating
MR (Midfielder right) - 1 goal and 1 assist in 9 appearances = 6.90 WhoScored rating

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Marcus Edwards

He initially caught my interest with his impressive performances for Spurs and England at youth level.

In this post I was proven to be incorrect when I predicted it was only a matter of time before Edwards was introduced in the starting berth for Spurs. Pochettino would reveal how he was disappointed by his attitude, and mentality. As illustrated below:

However, it seems like going out of his comfort zone (currently plays in Portugal for Vitória S.C) has brought some much needed maturity.

One area which Marcus Edwards has matured in his game is his eagerness to receive the ball.

Here he receives the ball by the touchline, and his immediate reaction is to pick out his teammates, as opposed to dribbling with his head down in an attempt to do it all by himself. This has been a criticism of him in the past. To digress for a brief moment, it was very recently when Daniel James received criticism for playing with tunnel vision against Man City, going for goal when Bruno Fernandes was in a better position.

I particularly liked this moment against Benfica. Nice vision here, tantalisingly close. It was put to a halt as the keeper came out. But the idea was good.

Before

Now against Porto, he once again has the ball up. This time its when he's moving at pace.

After

Perfect execution here as this defence splitting pass leads to one of the best opportunities in the game.

Benfica:
It was an encounter where Vitória S.C. put in an admirable performances. Not a one sided affair by any stretches of the imagination. Without mentioning the instances of the pictures above, there was a moment of individual brilliance with a dribble in a tightly congested area. In terms of position, he was consistently situated in dangerous areas. Sometimes he was offering himself as an outlet by staying wide and providing width, other times he was finding himself in between Taarabt and Pires, other times positioned by the half spaces.

Porto:
So apart from the defence splitting pass which is in an image above, he had other noteworthy moments.The game against Porto offered a different dynamic to the one against Benfica, as Porto were very dominant. In any case, Edwards had a shot cleared off the line, with the keeper beaten. In the latter stages of the game he almost got a pre-assist,

Sporting CP:
• 5 shot contributions
• 4 fouls won
• 1 goal

European Stage

There was another moment against Arsenal I liked .... a flee footed dribble which started from his own half and ended by him advancing to the opposing box at a very high pace.

Areas he can improve

Sometimes he can be a bit soft. There was a moment against Benfica where Taarabt barely touched him, and he was on the floor. He did win a free kick, but I felt it was soft myself. Additionally, he's one footed, I remember him shifting his body to do an outside of the boot pass with his dominant left footed, instead of the much simpler option with just using his right foot. In the dying stages of the game against Porto, he did a fantastic job of trapping the ball dead, beat a player from that standing position, and then he spoiled it by attempting another a dribble. A dribble which wasn't neccessary, even if it was successful. The moment needed a desperate shot, or a last ditch pass. On that note, I'd like to see him shoot more.

He has a £13.6 million release clause to my knowledge. Potentially great from his perspective too, as I spotted numerous occasions where he was let down by his teammates.

Edwards free on the right, player dribbles to the left touchline and then gets dispossessed

Stats:
FWR (Forward right) - 4 goals and 1 assist in 7 appearances = 7.85 WhoScored rating
AMR (Attacking midfield right) - 1 goal and 2 assists in 3 appearances = 7.41 WhoScored rating
MR (Midfielder right) - 1 goal and 1 assist in 9 appearances = 6.90 WhoScored rating
Really great post with good examples but...

We need someone on that RW already at a top level otherwise James/Greenwood should just be given a go.

Edwards no doubt has potential but I don’t see the club seeing him as a viable investment.

However I wouldn’t be surprised if he returns to the PL in the future.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Marcus Edwards

Before

After

Benfica:

Porto:

Sporting CP:
• 5 shot contributions
• 4 fouls won
• 1 goal

European Stage

Areas he can improve

Stats:
Edwards always turns into a brilliant player in the last few incarnations of Football Manager, always have brought him in the game since 2018!!
Unfortunately, in real life he hasn't shown his promise at all.
Fleeting moments and mere glimpses of talent are not enough for United anymore.
I can see him at a Bournemouth level team in a few years.

Mr Smith

We need someone on that RW already at a top level otherwise James/Greenwood should just be given a go.

Edwards no doubt has potential but I don’t see the club seeing him as a viable investment.

This is sort of how I feel. If we can't get Sancho I'd rather get someone experienced who doesn't need to develop, rather than another Daniel James (not a criticism of James, I just mean someone young and raw).

manutddjw

I’m wondering if the Sancho move is off and that’s why the approach for Van de Beek which means we’re going to move to a diamond with 2 up front and no traditional wingers.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
This is sort of how I feel. If we can't get Sancho I'd rather get someone experienced who doesn't need to develop, rather than another Daniel James (not a criticism of James, I just mean someone young and raw).
We might should just stick with whatever we got rather than do panic RW buy that has risk. To put it simple Greenwood & James are still good option to play on the right while we also don't stick with one formation alone, we even tend to switch to 352 formation against top opposition which doesn't require RW.

Mark Pawelek

. Mid-carreer winger playing for Juventus. Very tricky feet but no goals or assists this season in 18 appearances (9 starts with 800 minutes game time). One good season with Fiorentina in 2016/2017. Then Juve bought him. United have supposedly sounded out Juventus about getting him at OT if we don't land Sancho.

Don't get it. Why? What? Grrrrr! OK. I can understand going for a loan with option to buy; but outright buy? Aged 26 but only one top season on his CV.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I'd like us to play Greenwood more before the season ends. He may prove to be a good stop gap on the right incase we don't get Sancho next season

Rasendori

Man Of Culture

He has a different skill set than both of them. He has qualities which they don't have, and they have qualities that he doesn't. Whilst I don't disagree with the sentiment of a top quality acquisition being paramount. Sometimes if there's a paucity of established options, it might be worth delving into younger alternatives. It might be the case that player X isn't refined enough to be regarded as a top player, but at the same time, may have a specific quality which holds in good stead compared to contemporaries. Of course, you would need to assess the young alternatives already at ones disposal and I include the youth system in that. Given our current options a go leads to my next point ...

Looking at the options at our disposal, I noticed you didn't mention Juan Mata. I was actually bitterly disappointed when his signing was announced in Jan 2013. In any case, I wonder if he can have a strong end to the season. A lot has understandably been made of the chemistry between Fernandes and Martial, but it also looked like Mata and Fernandes were cultivating a symbiotic relationship themselves. I appreciate it was awhile ago, but if you could cast your memory back to the involvement between Bruno and Mata for Ighalo's goal against Club Brugge. Just in case click me! Those are the kind of cutbacks that the likes of Arsenal, Dortmund and Man City create in abundance. Its cutbacks that someone like Martial would appreciate, as not enough of his goals are one touch finish. Instead, a number of his goals are down to his elite technical ability. Moreover, in terms of propensity to shoot, and taking up positions in offensive forays, parallels can be drawn with the personnel of Ballack and Lampard, and Pogba and Bruno. These are players that like to contribute goalwise, in this sense they would very much appreciate cutbacks. On another occasion in the same game, Bruno made another lofted pass to Mata at the back post, this time almost resulting in a goal from Mata. Against LASK, the pass sequence which led to Ighalo's goal against Brugge happened again. This one is Mata operating from a central position as exemplified by Pre-Bruno . Showing this one as its from a different position, and the type of goal we've looked more likely to score that way since the emergence of Bruno. Regarding different positions, this is useful as our other options in the attacking phase are inherently capable of causing a threat in multiple positions. I vaguely remember Bruno causing a threat to the opposition being the closest attacker on the right, either having a shot on goal or offering himself as an option on the ball, can't remember if he received it or not.

I believe its exceedingly unlikely that Marcus Edwards is even contention. In which case, I couldn't agree more that the club would not view him as a viable investment. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the Bundesliga in the foreseeable future. If I was him, I'd look at the resurgence of Gnabry, and use that as motivation. Gnabry barely got a sniff at Arsenal, and his loan spell with West Brom was even worse, . His big break being his exploits at the Olympics and eventually got another shot at a top side.

RE: The compliment on my initial post.
Since lockdown, I've noticed four posters [who I wasn't previous aware of] have caught my attention for being a great contribution to the football side of the forum, and you're one of those four.

jesperjaap

If we cant get SAncho for £100m I would probably spend that money on Federico Chiesa and Upamecano, think we could get both for pretty much the same price as Sancho. Add Grealish for about £75m and then Jones, Perreira, Lingard, Sanchez, Rojo, Smalling out (ideally a couple more too) and you are looking at £100m odd net spend.

Baneofthegame

If we cant get SAncho for £100m I would probably spend that money on Federico Chiesa and Upamecano, think we could get both for pretty much the same price as Sancho. Add Grealish for about £75m and then Jones, Perreira, Lingard, Sanchez, Rojo, Smalling out (ideally a couple more too) and you are looking at £100m odd net spend.
If we spend 75 million on Grealish I might have a stroke.