What team was better: Manchester United 2008 or Liverpool 2019?

Lewnited

It's not even close to a contest for me. We're talking about a United team which at it's core was 2 points away from winning 7 premier league titles in a row.

Siorac

Let’s not be biased here having Mane and Salah in a squad over tevez isn’t that much of a dramatic statement.
Frankly, having Tevez over either is close to insanity. He had one good season with us and then was mostly shite throughout the next one, except for scoring five against Blackburn in the League Cup. I'd have Mané over him any day of the week as he's simply a much better footballer overall.

Of course these comparisons are mostly stupid. A decade separates these two teams: the league is very different, football's very different. I'd say our team had more individual quality, a better defence, and one absolute superstar. Liverpool were a more efficient machine without that star power. I prefer our team but then of course I fecking would. I'm not exactly objective.

eire-red

That team in 07/08 was incredibly balanced throughout. A world class GK, impenetrable back 4, a world class midfield and the front 3 speaks for itself.

That 07/08 team was off the back of winning the title the year before too, so to go on and do the double, and win the title the year after just sets that squad apart from all the rest for me.

If we had managed to keep Ronaldo I think we would have dominated for years to come as well. It's easy to forget just how good he was those years, it's hard to see a player managing to reach those levels for a while to come.

For me, only TAA and Salah get in that team down the right, and even at that I'm hesitant to include Salah because I don't think he would slot in well up front alongside Ronaldo.

SAFMUTD

Well lets see, one team won the UCL and the league, the other just won the league. Not even close.

Paul_Scholes18

It would be a close game. Football have evolved as well so hard to compare. Remember most big games that season was very close in CL and league.
It was not like 8-2 Bayern vs Barca destructions going on. Same with current Liverpool.

I could see a 0-0/0-1 either way.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Reminds me of when some seriously compared them to the treble team. Laughable.

Giggs86

It's not even close to a contest for me. We're talking about a United team which at it's core was 2 points away from winning 7 premier league titles in a row.
And if not arguably the best club side in history standing in our way, it could've been 3 CL titles in four seasons. 2 league points and 2 finals away from 7 PL titles in a row and 3 CL titles.

That team shouldn't be compared with Liverpool 2019. That team has room in any discussion regarding the best club side in history along with the likes of Barca '11 and Milan '89-'90.

Icemav

I'm not doubting the 2008 United's defensive qualities. It's not up for question. What is though is how they'd cope with the a side that plays high intensity football. You were well beaten in both CL finals against a Barcelona side that played full on football. That's not me saying that we're as good as that Barcelona side, but more that United struggled with a style of football where players worked extra hard in pressing & winning the ball back quickly.
That would be my concern. We'd have the better talent on the pitch but the hard pressing and posession style of play made us look toothless. Granted Barca were arguably the greatest club side ever but Fergie really had not even a hint of a solution for it.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
They finished with 99 points but at the cost of their legs. I would rather keep my legs.

big rons sovereign

Yes Tevez had it all hence why we sold him the year after. Let’s not be biased here having Mane and Salah in a squad over tevez isn’t that much of a dramatic statement.

Yes Evra was brilliant and I love him however he couldn’t really cross the ball. Robertson is a brilliant all round full back and Trent is brilliant going forward.

Having Rio and VVD would give even more freedom.

I think it’s balance, it’s a shame Vidic is left out but VVD edges it for me. Two rolls Royce in defence.
Now, I don't want to be rude, so don't take this the wrong way.
This is complete and utter horseshit.

dal

I think a more pertinent question maybe which team liverpool 19 or Man Utd 08 would beat Barca 09 over two legs, (if possible). They essentially stopped us from having 5. We were majestic and then they took the piss out of us in two finals.

InfiniteBoredom

I think a more pertinent question maybe which team liverpool 19 or Man Utd 08 would beat Barca 09 over two legs, (if possible). They essentially stopped us from having 5. We were majestic and then they took the piss out of us in two finals.
Took the piss out when talking about 09 is a bit much. They got a goal completely against the run of play due to Eto’o individual brilliance, which allowed them to carousel around a midfield 2 lacking any sort of press-resistant or harrying player. Then Rio got beaten to a header by fecking Messi of all people.

2011 was a thorough beat down though, but that team was already levels below the 08/09 team. We won the league with just 80 points having awful away record all season long and had one of the easiest route to the final. I still can’t fathom how we went into half time 1-1.

dal

Took the piss out when talking about 09 is a bit much. They got a goal completely against the run of play due to Eto’o individual brilliance, which allowed them to carousel around a midfield 2 lacking any sort of press-resistant or harrying player. Then Rio got beaten to a header by fecking Messi of all people.

2011 was a thorough beat down though, but that team was already levels below the 08/09 team. We won the league with just 80 points having awful away record all season long and had one of the easiest route to the final. I still can’t fathom how we went into half time 1-1.
10/11 was an absolutely horrid season, I remember the tumescent football, almost every game, SAF won us that all on his own.

The league was competitive then but now it’s quite ridiculous.

It’s very difficult comparing over different season but you have to say Man City and Liverpool recent points totals are incredibly impressive given the depth of the league. It’s just comforting knowing 100 points still only wins you one title.