What to do about Online Racist Abuse?

JSArsenal

While we're at it what is the plan to combat societal and systematic racism?

Those folks are not going to become less racist if they can't post online anymore. This entire crusade also does nothing to combat racism at a systematic level from attitudes concerning natural hair in the workplace to police stereotyping.

Olduvai_1

Supports
Chelsea
The problem is, thinking the world is or is ever going to be a perfect utopia with everybody getting along. There will always be murderers, rapists, paedophiles, racists, abusers, you're just not going to eradicate these things and it's naive to think so. All we can do personally, is try to be the best person you can be.

Stacks

You dont have to verify your ID unless you want to interact with celebs. Also this would only be if the public figure or celeb sets their account this way. Some may not give a feck what Darren and Karen from Grimsby say to them others may care so they may choose to limit the accound to ID verified only interaction.

I dont see many options other than id verification.

Either
1. The abuse continues and public figures are forced off the platform.

2. Twitter charges for the app and therefore get your billing information but also they get to charge you money. Charging for it would probably halve its user base.

3. Have a multi tier app where only verified blue tick accounts can interact with each other and the plebs with themselves. I dont think anyone would want that.

In reality number 1 is the most likely outcome and is currently happening.

Our own gaffers account didnt last 5 minutes after the plastic cnuts among us turned on him.
1. Most won't. The abuse has been since the very beginning. this isn;t a new thing. Piers Morgan mentioned ages ago that people have no idea the vitriol people tweet/dm him but he doesn't make it public. Basically its been going on from day one and celebs have had to decide if they can handle having public social media accounts. They can actually put "no comments" on their posts though. DT from Arsenal fan TV did this for weeks because rival fans kept insulting his dead brother. Some were United fans.
2. Good luck. I like twitter but not that much!
3. They can prevent comments already so should be an easy fix

I don't think people are being forced off. Rashford is still updating his instagram story right now

Stacks

While we're at it what is the plan to combat societal and systematic racism?

Those folks are not going to become less racist if they can't post online anymore. This entire crusade also does nothing to combat racism at a systematic level from attitudes concerning natural hair in the workplace to police stereotyping.
The old generations need to die out or just stop teaching their kids bollocks

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
That's a joke, surely?

It's not the "old generations" posting monkey emojis, mate. I'd say older people at least have the excuse they grew up in a society that was way less diverse and educated. What's the young generation's excuse?

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
That's a joke, surely?

It's not the "old generations" posting monkey emojis, mate. I'd say older people at least have the excuse they grew up in a society that was way less diverse and educated. What's the young generation's excuse?
Although you are right in a way, kids are a product of their parents upbringing. It’s an impossible point to prove (and I’d understand if you rejected it outright), but if bet if you could do some kind of huge meta-analysis of the young adults who are doing these kinds of things, you’d find a strong correlation with certain types of learned values that they picked up in childhood.

Not to say that all of those young adults would have been exposed to overt racism at a young age, it’s more complex than that but the way you deal with anger, resentment, understanding diversity, violence, domestic abuse etc is a learned response not a random one.
A child whose parent has been sent to prison is six times more likely to also go to prison in their life. That’s not coincidence.

Stacks

That's a joke, surely?

Who they learn that from mate? Take a 5 year old black kid, white kid, Jewish kid, Muslim, Indian, Kashmiri and they probably play together no qualms. Their parents/elders teach them the hate along with maybe some friends or associates, media etc. Children are pure until corrupted by us adults. At some point we need to break the trend

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not give it mass media coverage. These people want attention more than anything else.
most of the abuse came from Asian countries. Only a small % came from the UK.

MU655

Who they learn that from mate? Take a 5 year old black kid, white kid, Jewish kid, Muslim, Indian, Kashmiri and they probably play together no qualms. Their parents/elders teach them the hate along with maybe some friends or associates, media etc. Children are pure until corrupted by us adults. At some point we need to break the trend
Kids have a will of their own. You cannot keep shifting the blame on to other people. Parents do have an influence, but kids also make decisions.

I had a choice when I was starting secondary school: should I join the popular group and join in the bullying of people or should I not? My parents raised me well, but it was me that had to make that decision. I chose against joining in with them.

Other kids that have had good parents have done the opposite of me. Good parenting is far from a guarantee. There are far too many external circumstances to narrow it down to just that.

Stacks

Kids have a will of their own. You cannot keep shifting the blame on to other people. Parents do have an influence, but kids also make decisions.

I had a choice when I was starting secondary school: should I join the popular group and join in the bullying of people or should I not? My parents raised me well, but it was me that had to make that decision. I chose against joining in with them.

Other kids that have had good parents have done the opposite of me. Good parenting is far from a guarantee. There are far too many external circumstances to narrow it down to just that.
I didn't just say parents I listed a number of influences. Its the same logic for people in the hoods who join gangs. obviously not everyone in the area joins a gang but those who are vulnerable to it may join. A person doesn't just wake up and decide to be racist nor are they born racist. Of course you can choose not to be racist same way you can choose not to be in a gang but when exposed to it over time, a number will fall into it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I haven't read the thread but what's the problem with putting your identification on the system, so it's tied to you.

That would cut a lot of the shit out surely.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
doesnt seem to be white english guys doing the lions share of it tbh
This will upset many people who wanted to put all the blame on edgy white dudes on Twitter.

EngimaMK

It feels to me that people (journalists) go to Twitter to actively look for things to be outraged at. It's a damn sight easier than real journalism.... It's like journalism for dummies.

If you want to find an outlandish, abhorrent and shitty views online then it's pretty easy to find. However, I take umbrage with the suggestion that a handful of cnuts on Twitter are somehow indicative of wider society. I don't know a single person that was racist or condoned racism against any of the three penalty takers.

People need to stop living their lives online and treating online "communities" as though they are indicative of some kind of broader malaise. People, by and large, are not racist. There are some that seem determined castigate huge swathes of people as Nazis, I suspect in an effort to make themselves feel better about their superior outlook. I think this is probably a symptom of the wider "culture war".

For what it's worth, I think anyone found guilty of racist utterings online should be banned from football and the online platform. Their comments should be treated with the utter disdain they deserve (although it may be hard to action now, as it seems huge numbers of the comments didn't actually seem to originate in the UK).

Don't Kill Bill

With social media we have invented a way to let the lowest idiots bring us all down and make us all as miserable as they are.

Rista

Part of the problem is giving these trolls so much attention. I see headlines, I see people talking about racist abuse and then I go there and see almost nothing. If it wasn't about race, these morons would insult people in other ways. I'm not saying nothing should be done about it but online safe spaces with zero hurtful comments will never exist and these ID verification ideas are pretty ridiculous. In many countries you can't be fined or arrested for words and emojis anyway.