What to do with ransomware attacks?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
We've been witnessing more of them lately. Should the ransom be paid? Would it set a precedent for more attacks?

What are your thoughts?

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Mods lock all of his threads and demand a payment to open them again.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
it obviously shouldn't be paid. Most attackers only know how to run the attacks, they haven't a clue how to actually fix them.

the best way to avoid them is a proper IT security infrastructure, simple as. Sadly the HSE is using ancient software and hardware because of years and years of pissing about that left it vulnerable.

SirAF

Ageist
Be vigilante about what websites you visit and what software you download.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
just encrypt all your data and discard any keys and passwords you have to it. if you don’t have it, they can’t get it. good luck extorting me for data i don’t even have access to, you worthless pieces of shit.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
Jokes on you, I've already done it. Just waiting for the right moment.
yeah right. if you really have access, tell me what the third folder in my documents is called, in alphabetical order, and what the title of the only video in it is?

Hectic

Supports
30fps
it obviously shouldn't be paid. Most attackers only know how to run the attacks, they haven't a clue how to actually fix them.

the best way to avoid them is a proper IT security infrastructure, simple as. Sadly the HSE is using ancient software and hardware because of years and years of pissing about that left it vulnerable.
If you care so much about it why don't you replace all the IT security infrastructure yourself you wanker.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
If you care so much about it why don't you replace all the IT security infrastructure yourself you wanker.
coming in here on his high horse telling house? what to do. who the hell does he think he is?

Hectic

Supports
30fps
coming in here on his high horse telling house? what to do. who the hell does he think he is?
Talking all that shit about HSE like it's even a real thing and people care about it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We've been witnessing more of them lately. Should the ransom be paid? Would it set a precedent for more attacks?

What are your thoughts?
If you're dumb enough to not take cybersecurity seriously before the hack, then you will have to pay.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
People who pay are stupid twats. This is apparently about 60% of people who find their data locked. Thus ensuring cyber criminals keep doing it.

peridigm

Don't pay
Zero Trust IT
Backup - it's cheaper than ransomware
Security Awareness Training - How to spot phishing, scams, password best practices, etc...

nimic

something nice
Scout
I use Malwarebytes for superficial confidence.

Oh, and also I've got a USB stick with all the stuff that can't be easily replaced, so they can do whatever they want.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
What kind of scumbag do you have to be to do it in the midst of a pandemic? It’s affected all kinds of appointments in Ireland including scans of pregnant women etc

MarylandMUFan

I would love to go after the countries that these people operate. We know the oil pipeline attack in Texas was done by Russian hackers. I have to think that they are operating with some level of impunity from Putin so I would love to see us sanction Russia (or something) for it.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I would love to go after the countries that these people operate. We know the oil pipeline attack in Texas was done by Russian hackers. I have to think that they are operating with some level of impunity from Putin so I would love to see us sanction Russia (or something) for it.
That deescalated pretty quickly

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Its not a “hack", it was a ransomware attack that has nothing to do with Russia or China. Some dummy in their office probably clicked the wrong link or opened the wrong attachment and the rest is history.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
What would be the worst outcome if they released all the data to the dark web or whatever? Off the top of my head, those with psychiatric issues and those who have STDs like HIV, would be exposed.

Is there anything else? Been trying to think all day who else would not like their medical files compromised.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
What would be the worst outcome if they released all the data to the dark web or whatever? Off the top of my head, those with psychiatric issues and those who have STDs like HIV, would be exposed.

Is there anything else? Been trying to think all day who else would not like their medical files compromised.
Alcoholism. Drug addiction. Drink driving. I guess that all comes under “psychiatric issues”. Then you have stuff that people might just find embarrassing. Erectile dysfunction, for example.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Alcoholism. Drug addiction. Drink driving. I guess that all comes under “psychiatric issues”. Then you have stuff that people might just find embarrassing. Erectile dysfunction, for example.
True. Damn never thought of them. I was seeing a doctor in the HSE years ago for something, i wont say what, but luckily it would not matter if everyone knew. Thank god.

Are you a GP? With your own practise? Can i ask you some questions if you are.