What to take away from todays win?

Fully Fledged

Yeah but let’s be truthful he was getting pulled out of position because Rashford wasn’t tracking back and he was left with a 2 on 1. 2nd half when Rashford started tracking back that stopped. Jose was just taking sly digs even if anyone with a set of eyes could see why that was happening.

I think today we struggled with the pressing because Chelsea were very open and quite spread out so that made pressing harder but against teams that are slightly more compact it’ll look much better.
Rashford actually admitted that in his interview after the match. He said this is a work in progress and they were learning on the job. I'm happy with that because you saw the way that Rashford took his instruction at half time and acted on it.

Fully Fledged

What I take from today:

Our back 4 is as good as any in the league.

Our midfield seriously needs a bit of steel.

Our attack needs a to understand how to get the ball in the back of the net.

Other than that, it was a great opening match.
4 goals today really that was your take away?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Rashford actually admitted that in his interview after the match. He said this is a work in progress and they were learning on the job. I'm happy with that because you saw the way that Rashford took his instruction at half time and acted on it.
Seemed more of a tactical decision tbh. Rashford isn’t stupid or lazy, he’s played that position before and knows how to track.

I feel we just didn’t see him as a threat but realised they were being too tidy in possession and it wasn’t really working.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Not sure. We were quite poor today. We won the game on moments and being clinical. Defensively we looked very suspect, giving away a large volume of shots and De Gea being beaten twice, saved by millimetres of the woodwork. Maguire and Wan Bissaka looked good, but I’ve maintained forever that the biggest problem with our defence is our lack of any real holding midfielder. We’ll continue to give away a lot of shots.

I agree with Jose on Sky that we will continue to struggle against defensive teams who have a compact midfield and defence with two lines of four or five. We got four today as Chelsea gave our pacey team a ridiculous amount of space. If we score first, we may mug more teams off. If we fall behind, we will struggle.

Wolves next week will be more way more enlightening, as they’ve already beaten us twice, fairly convincingly, at home in the last six months. These are the teams we need to make a habit of beating.

Garebo

Our midfield is the weakest link and we saw it in the first minutes of the game. In the first half we tried to play expansive football but mctominay looked out of place and Pogba was slow in transition and didn't track back enough. What to say about Pereira, he was lucky he left with one assist. We should have gone for at least cm but we didn't.

Apart from midfield, we should have buy Tierney to compete with Shaw, because the latters performance was not encouraging. Ole reminded me of Mourinho, hungin onto his touchline and constantly screaming to Shaw about his positioning. The thing that he was our player of the year, proves our 6th place finish last season.

Fully Fledged

Yeah, let’s make it habitual and hope that our forward line live smashing in them goals and carry on doing it week in week out.
I'm not saying that it will happen week in week out but today we can't complain about the shot conversion rate.

I've said in the match day thread we need to see how we perform against the parked bus but that's for weeks to come.

AshRK

Our defense looks settled for a change.
Ole showing trust towards younger players by benching matic and completely dropping Smalling and Jones.
It was not a perfect performance but we still made some good moves which with more efficiency could have been even more better.
One minor complaint Ole needs to ask the boys to stop with the showboating. Too many moves were killed.

Fully Fledged

Seemed more of a tactical decision tbh. Rashford isn’t stupid or lazy, he’s played that position before and knows how to track.

I feel we just didn’t see him as a threat but realised they were being too tidy in possession and it wasn’t really working.
It was something that we rectified at half time which is good to see. In previous seasons we saw deficiencies that carried through from the first half to the second half. Being able to put things right at half time is a big plus.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
What I saw today:

Our back 4 is solid and assured and will continue to improve as they play together more
Our midfield is quite lightweight without Pogba. He's subject to periods of silly play and it could cost us. Letting Herrera go without getting a replacement was very stupid

Out forwards are good, but need more time to gel together. Martial and Rashford need to be given the oppurtunity to work together more

El-Manos

We really are missing quality in central midfield and RW. Once that’s sorted i’ll Be very confident. Our defence looked quality today.

Denis79

Positives
Looking fantastic in defence.
New arrivals look awesome.
Great start to the season.

Negatives
Midfield looks disjointed.
Still having a hard time breaking defences outside of counters.

hobbers

The main things to take away are that we don't have the players to be expansive. Pereira and Lingard cannot function in a side looking to play expansive football, they're simply not good enough. Rashford doesn't look great in that system either. Pogba struggled immensely having to sit deeper with those 3 derping out in front of him. We looked totally at sea in the first 30-40 minutes.

We got a lucky goal and that let us go back to being compact and playing on the counter, which suits the players perfectly. But we're not going to get a lucky goal against the run of play every game. Wolves away is the real acid test, will be a much, much tougher game than today against what was a very naive young Chelsea side.

We can't really address the lack of creativity and quality in midfield until January now, but at least we've got an early indicator that by not playing any of the absolute turds in defense - Young, Jones, Smalling, Matic - we are actually capable of getting clean sheets.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Solid defensively, lacking in midfield, frightening pace up top with options on the bench.
Not good enough for top three, but with Chelsea lacking, Arsenal being the way they are and the apparent real threat of Wolves and Leicester being toothless top four could be on, whisper it quietly though.
Still a long way to go...

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Score line is deceiving. Chelsea were missing players and for much of the game it looked like we were the away team. Up until that penalty we hadn't created anything. Chelsea hit the post twice and De Gea had a good save. Even James's goal was a bit lucky deflecting of their defender.
But we did look good counter attacking. And our defense is obviously a lot better. Too early for conclusions. What we know is we can counter attack, it doesnt look like we can hold the ball and dictate. Anyway early days a good win 3 points against Chelsea and thats what matters.

Steven-UK

Was that an ironic moment from both the fans and Mou?
Kind of, I think because they were chanting about Souness (not in a good way) who we could all see was stood up by the window moments before, I suspect Mourinho had a bit of nervous anticipation for what could come next :), but it really was a nice moment from the fans, and Mou.

Canagel

New signings performing well and making instant improvements. Defence is calm. Serious lack of technical ability in midfield. Relying on one creative force to open up teams once again. Not signing any midfielder will be our downfall this season.

Last edited:

United Hobbit

Of the starting 11 today there were no players I disliked, whereas last season I found it hard to like a lot of the players. Today we had a lot of likeable players including those that came on as subs

It's great to how our new signings seem genuinely happy to be here, eg Harry Maguire when he was speaking to Sky before the game and I absolutely loved Dan James' celebration I know it probably meant more to him due to the sadness with his dad but he looked so genuinely delighted to have scored for us

We look to have collected together the more humble type of player, yes I would have been excited still if we had signed Dybala and do worry for if Pogba goes/ Rashy or Martial get injured but it looks like a step in the right direction

I can see why Pogba frustrates so many people because he tries all the tricks and cant think of a better word so "dithering" about and they don't always come off but when he sticks to the keep it simple albeit fantastic passing and vision he does then he is fantastic, just hope he stays.

Huge positive was we looked fitter than Chelsea. The counter attack for one of our goals was so good to watch no one struggling to keep up or getting in the way

I dont miss Lukaku's first touch, when Pogba played that ball for Rashford's 2nd his first touch was so much better

The negative was the first half, we started a bit all over the place and were slow to get going, we need to be more awake as Chelsea nearly punished us, Wolves will be a big test

I also worry a little bit for Dan James getting clumsy fouls on him and potentially getting injured as you could see Chelsea mis timing some of the challenges on him due to his pace.

Maguire starting the second goal with his tackle on Tammy Abraham was great, I think he added to Lindelof looking more confident and that probably helped De Gea. Shaw actually looked the weak link in the back 4 when he was one of our better players last season

Wonder if De Gea will be made captain he had the armband today

Also when did we last have so many candidates for man of the match?

The Thinker

We need to turn up from the off or we'll get punished.

That we may be in for a more enjoyable season. Or we may be in for an equally frustrating season as recent ones.
This!
We need to go into everygame with the same attitude and workrate.
It Will be ups like today and downs and the reaction of the team when we lose will tell a lot.

Irwin99

Didn't really take away anything new, it was the same positives and negatives from chunks of last season, except that the defence looks much stronger in one-on-one duels. Think people aren't giving Chelsea enough credit for their first half performance even though though we could have done a lot better. They were cutting through us at times and getting in behind the fullbacks (particularly Shaw) and I was impressed with some of their attack patterns. Even without 4 or 5 of their key players they're still a good team and to beat them 4-0 is a fantastic result.

Positives
  • Our energy levels and pressing is fantastic to watch and will be a nightmare for teams to play against.
  • As i said before i'm happy with AWB, Maguire and Lindelof. Really encouraging performances.
  • Martial and Rashford off the mark.
  • James could be a real handful for defenders from the bench. Love the way Chelsea players seemed scared of his pace.

Negatives
  • Passing was so sloppy at times. I think there will be quite a few games where we actually don't see much of the ball for large periods of the match. I know we're a counter attacking team but a bit more technical quality in ball possession shouldn't be too much to ask for. McTominay and Pogba had much better second halves but were both pretty poor first half.
  • There were huge spaces to exploit for Chelsea. We all get annoyed with Matic and how slow he is but there might be an argument there that he is at least disciplined enough to fill the spaces. Balancing the midfield will again be a big problem this season.
  • The way Chelsea kept getting in on our left was worrying. Can see more teams targeting that side.

A few questions remaining:

I can see United fans having many of the same arguments last season about how to use Pogba to get him at his absolute best. We saw why he's our best player with the two assists and also why I just don't think he's suited to that deeper role. Seemed to be so many unnecessary ball loses at times and running into dead ends. Are we going to get punished for this eventually?

Is there enough quality to break teams down that don't want to attack and commit bodies forward against us? Genuine question, i'm curious as to what teams will do in adapting to our style when our play is so obviously based on lightning quick breaks.

Cliche Guevara

We’ve got more than enough to take care of the majority of teams.

Hopefully the team believe in themselves and we enjoy a settled and consistent side. If so I think we will do quite well.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
We beat a bogey side
We beat a top 6 rival
Right back is sorted
Center back is sorted
The right flank is finally alive
McTomominay needs a natural double pivot partner. Hopefully Fred or Garner

Pereira & Lingard, Martial & Rashford switching roles works

Its nice to see we are learning tactical pressing. We need to be patient as the lads master it. It will be inconsistent

James will be a weapon

Cloud7

We look much better with a technically proficient CF up front.

mav_9me

Defense is going to be better.

I think we are going to struggle to score goals against packed defenses.

Mr Smith

Pressing will win us games, and is probably better than any attacker we could have bought. We will have tougher games against more organised sides, but our approach is very encouraging.

Wolff

Several obvious things. Like AWB and Maguire are brilliant signings. Looks like recruiting is on track. Despite nerves, there is potential in the team. But most important. Did you see the togetherness in the team? The positive energy? How they celebrated goals. How they worked for each other. Imagine that rubbing of to some of the fans on here. Grow a spine and actually see positives and things to build on. Not go into complete meltdown if someone is in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Davicho

I think we will struggle against teams that sit deep and hit on the counter. Bar Pogba we dont have a midfielder that creates chances, and our forwards are good with space to run, but are awful at controlling and passing the ball in tight areas. Lindelof and Maguire are a good partnership, but i still have to see them playing against quick forwards with us playing a defensive high line.

Gasolin

I think we will struggle against teams that sit deep and hit on the counter. Bar Pogba we dont have a midfielder that creates chances, and our forwards are good with space to run, but are awful at controlling and passing the ball in tight areas. Lindelof and Maguire are a good partnership, but i still have to see them playing against quick forwards with us playing a defensive high line.
Against those teams, we will play Mata and players who are capable of playing in pocket of spaces.

Chairman Woodie

The scoreline flattered to deceive.

Fortunately Chelsea were lacking up front. They should have been in front by half-time. Chelsea didn't do themselves any favours defensively either.

Tyrion

Realistically, what sort of conclusions can we make about todays demolition of Chelsea?

The defence is sorted for years?
Has De Gea returned?
The front three, whilst inconsistent, looked very happy today.
Keeping Pogba was a master play from Ole (although may yet lose him).
The midfield is still weak so we may see a repeat of two seasons ago.
Bench strength is lacking.
Pressing? Not so much. Seems like we might go forward with high energy counter attacking football?
Agreed. Martial and Pogba seem a little too lazy for pressing and, aside from Pogba, our midfield is mid table standard. That said, our defence has improved and we're still f##king lethal on the counter.

LeftyBlaster

1. Midfield needed reinforcing in the transfer window.
2. Ole's system will bring us success, it just needs time to work.
3. Evidence for Point 2 is we were beating Chelsea's pressing with far more consistency and comfort than we have from previous seasons. No mindless hoofball or crossing, lots of emphasis on playing proper passing although movement needs to improve. Also everything was more calculated than hit and hope under Moyes - Jose.
4. Maguire is Pallister reborn and will be crucial in our ability to play out from the back.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
We are 2 or 3 additions away from building a quality side

Red00012

We won 4-0 whether we deserved it or not, there will be times during the season where we will deserve to win but don’t. Let’s stay positive.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
My biggest take away from today is that Lampard is out if his depth at this level and will be lucky to last the season.

From a United perspective it was a perfect day in the sense that it was a great result which seriously damages a direct rival while also showing us clear weaknesses that need urgent attention e.g. keeping possession better and getting the defensive structure better when we get turned over.

CM

Plenty of positives. We were very clinical, shifted the ball quickly (in the second half), the new signings settled well and de Gea looked back at the level you would expect of him.

The midfield clearly still needs work though. We gave up a lot of chances and it looked all too easy for Chelsea to play through us in the first half. If either of those shots that hit the woodwork went in I could've quite easily seen that game going in a different direction.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
  • Lee Ryan is the new Chelsea manager and He gets angry easily despite of his usual calm demeanor
  • Martial looks delighted to get his no 9 back
  • Our forwards are fast as feck
  • De Gea still forgets He has hands (not that I complain about it)