What was the most gutless performance you’ve ever seen from your team?

Sir Scott McToMinay

For me it has to be Olympiacos away in the Moyes season, we lost 0-2 and I had never seen less effort and fight from a group of players in a CL KO match in my life, it was absolutely disgraceful, we were thoroughly outplayed by a Championship level side.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Yeah, Olympiacos was really bad, one of few games I can't erase from my memory, I remember we played Valencia and Young on the wings.

But I remember that game because I hoped for atleast something from that team, which is a good thing, now few years later I don't even expect anything anymore, and don't bother even paying attention to remembering or watching games properly without fecking with my phone, etc.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Cardiff loss at home last season. The only player that played well and wanted to be at Old Trafford that day was Mason Greenwood

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
There's been a few, a couple of them this season, but they're all as bad as eachother. I mean, it's hard to separate the 10-15 games I can remember where we've just done literally nothing all game. How do you quantify them when you have 0 shots on goal, and just don't create a single chance all game?

mwake

Supports
Liverpool
6-1 away to Stoke, last game for Gerard. Liverpool were so bad we couldn't even rustle up a goal for Gerard, so stoke took pity and let Gerrard run through to score in his last game for us.

fergiesarmy1

6-1 away to Stoke, last game for Gerard. Liverpool were so bad we couldn't even rustle up a goal for Gerard, so stoke took pity and let Gerrard run through to score in his last game for us.
I had £400 on stoke that day, already knew the Liverpool team were off to Dubai later that day to party. Seem to recall them doing the YaYa song through Dubai airport which probably wasn’t a footballers best idea ever.

3KDré

Everton last season is definitely up there, MK Dons too.

Traub

I think in LVG’s last season, the loss at Upton Park when they were carrying our players off the pitch. We needed a win to qualify for the champions league, we couldn’t give a feck.

fergiesarmy1

Sadly there has been so many in the last 6 years it makes me sick.

Every time we’d suffer one of those under Fergie I’d proclaim 10 straight wins as a reaction, didn’t make it often but we got close. “For every action expect a reaction” or some such bullshit.

The guys we are pinning our hopes to these days don’t have those minerals.

Dinghy

Sheffield Utd at OT in the FA-cup in 2016. Worst game of football I've ever seen. Somehow ended up winning it after getting a pen out of nothing in the last minute.

wolvored

I cant think of just one as there are a lot of bad. Huddersfield last year was one of the worst though, but thats nit picking.

ZAKU-RED

Supports
Barcelona
The implosion in the CL vs Roma and Liverpool.

The Liverpool game one made me so angry. you have seen it coming from the first leg, they had a number of chances but couldn't finish. But we went into Anfield with little to no adjustments because the coach and the players thought we would be all right.

And you see what happened, what an absolute embarrassment. Pathetic coaching by Valverde and key Vets who have accomplished so much in the CL, bar Messi, failed to show up and lead the team when it was needed and instead gave up.

Brilliant idea to leave our only good press resistant Midfielder on the bench Arthur so he can start the likes of Rakitic who is terrible against the press and pair him up with two other Midfielders who one of them is on a steep decline such as Busi and one that was more of a combative CM such as Vidal.

Also leaving our only good right-back who can at least defend on the bench to persist with Sergi Roberto who flat out isn't good enough. Starting Coutinho who was in very poor form while Malcom rotted on the bench.

Just a disaster that I will never get over because of how stupid Valverde truly is and certain key players deciding to go and hide when we needed them the most.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I can't remember much about the match now, but the derby on the anniversary of the Munich disaster. Such a big occasion, heavily built up on the media, fans really up for it...then it felt lacklustre from the players. We lost 2-1 if I remember right. Felt really disappointed leaving the ground that day.

Not the worst result ever or anything like that, but in context it felt bad.

el3mel

WHU 3-2 United in LVG last season when we needed a win to qualify to CL stands out among many gutless performance in the last 6 years.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
4-0 vs Liverpool away (2019)
3-0 vs AS Roma away (2018)
4-1 vs Real Madrid away (2008)

Irwin99

Too many to count in recent years. The capitulation in the last few games of last season when we could have got Top 4 left a bitter taste.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
For me it has to be Olympiacos away in the Moyes season, we lost 0-2 and I had never seen less effort and fight from a group of players in a CL KO match in my life, it was absolutely disgraceful, we were thoroughly outplayed by a Championship level side.

BaneIsPain

Losing on penalty against Sunderland league cup semi final iinm. Thanks moyes, still remember this defeat

mwake

Supports
Liverpool
I had £400 on stoke that day, already knew the Liverpool team were off to Dubai later that day to party. Seem to recall them doing the YaYa song through Dubai airport which probably wasn’t a footballers best idea ever.
£400!!!! Insider trading more like haha, do you have friends that work for Liverpool?

PaulRich

I'd have to say the Anfield game last year just for the fact that its the biggest away game we face and we turned up like a load of pussies. Liverpool never out of 2nd gear. Pogba benched. Mourinho knowing full well that was exit stage right for him. Worst performance at Anfield in decades. There is an awful lot of choice recently though.

slored1

I'd have to say the Anfield game last year just for the fact that its the biggest away game we face and we turned up like a load of pussies. Liverpool never out of 2nd gear. Pogba benched. Mourinho knowing full well that was exit stage right for him. Worst performance at Anfield in decades. There is an awful lot of choice recently though.
Yep, agree with you. I remember that not even for a second had I thought we were going to win. An absolutely embarassing game.

Kopral Jono

Vs Newcastle last week

With pride, survival, and long term at stake we offer them nothing, not even the kitchen sink
We were dire against Newcastle last week, absolutely dire.

I think gutless is a bit different. There've been about five games that I could think of after Fergie left where I personally would categorise us as being gutless: away at Olympiakos 13/14, at home v City 13/14, at home v Norwich 15/16, away at West Ham 18/19 and at home v Cardiff 18/19.

Last edited:

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Lots of good shouts, Olympiacos under Moyes and some from our current terrible run spring to mind, as does this one:

Sheffield Utd at OT in the FA-cup in 2016. Worst game of football I've ever seen. Somehow ended up winning it after getting a pen out of nothing in the last minute.
An utterly terrible game of football and a total anti-performance from us.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
An utterly terrible game of football and a total anti-performance from us.
Not really a gutless performance though was it? I cant really name too many post Fergie I'd call gutless, most of the performances were setup to fail before the players even took to the field be it through lack of quality on the pitch, poor tactics or low confidence

I look at some of the performances under Fergie around 2005 as way worse (there's a defeat in Basel I seem to remember) if we're defining them as gutless. Also remember us not having a shot on target against City in the title decided back in 2012? It was 1-0 and Kompany scored a header

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We've had several under Moyes, a few under LVG and Mourinho and several under Ole.

Off the top of my head Olympiakos, Everton away (Moyes, LVG & Ole), Cardiff (Ole)

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Not really a gutless performance though was it? I cant really name too many post Fergie I'd call gutless, most of the performances were setup to fail before the players even took to the field be it through lack of quality on the pitch, poor tactics or low confidence

I look at some of the performances under Fergie around 2005 as way worse (there's a defeat in Basel I seem to remember) if we're defining them as gutless. Also remember us not having a shot on target against City in the title decided back in 2012? It was 1-0 and Kompany scored a header
Fair point, it was an LVG sleepwalk special but it wasn't gutless as such. I think showing such a ridiculous lack of ambition against lower league opposition at Old Trafford was a sign of a lowering of our standards; where in the past we'd have got a few kids in and tried to blitz them early we seemed happy to do literally nothing with the ball and hope to nick a goal from nothing. That was a poor and embarrassing game plan for a United team but probably not gutless.

Canagel

Probably Liverpool away match last season. Not only anti football but a crime against football. We didn't come to play.