What was the reason for our sudden changes in form last season?

vidic blood & sand

So we were rubbish until Mourinho was sacked, then we went on an incredible run, and then went rubbish again. What was the recipe for the changes?
We lose 1:3 to liverpool, and then win 5:1 against Cardiff before Ole had a chance to do anything with the team. Sacking Mourinho gave the team such a massive boost, and it showed what we were truly capable of with the shackles off, but for some reason the shackles went back on. I know we're not as bad as today, but we've reverted back to the same playing style under Mourinho. 11 players behind the ball, slow passing, no passion etc, players trying to do what they're told to do, and not expressing themselves. Pogba was transformed under Solskjaer, but is now looking unhappy again. Lingard seems to have given up, and Rashford seems to be desperately trying to prove to the world he can up there with the best, but trying to hard. There is no creativity, but the main reason behind that I think is because the players are not playing by pure instinct which will speed up their thinking, passing etc
The team is not clicking, and Ole seems to be subjecting the players to perform according to set routines that are not working. Managers ought to be able to put payers in positions that best suit their ability, and be allowed to express what they can do. At the moment they don't look comfortable with the current formation and tactics. In the old days under Ron Atkinson, his philosophy was always to keep it simple and allow players to play to their strengths. I'm also still not convinced that 4:4:2 is an outdated formation, because it allows two forwards and two midfielders to form a partnership, and allow the wingers to join the attack and midfield where necessary.

FahadiHossein

I think this team will drop their heads when things don't go well for them.
We were red hot after Mourinho due to the very easy games after the defeat to Liverpool. Everyone thought that the games after Liverpool would be good for Ole to find his feet. Then the team went onto beat both Spurs and PSG, and both games were crucially won away.
However, things went south after the defeat to Arsenal, in which they were having a very bad run of games and we were expected to beat them. And then, we were outplayed by Barcelona and we began to lose the other games.
It seems like this team performs well when the odds are against them. Maybe it is the mentality that LvG and Jose instilled in them. However, when the team is playing well and they meet a sudden setback, this team does not how to react.

ManchesterYoda

When Solskjaer first took over as caretaker manager, we PLAYED WELL for only a few games. After Mourinho was sacked there was a huge morale boost in the squad and that is what caused our performances to improve for those few games where we played well.