What went wrong this year for Ole?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stig

I agree with almost everything that people have written; I will try and be a bit less football orientated and less specific.

Manchester United is a $3 billion company; give or take, the closet household name that I could find that was about the same size, although a bit larger is NIKON. NIKON has £2.9 billion in sales, and 25,000 employees. That is the size of company that we are somewhat similar to.

Ole was essentially our main man in charge of operations of this enormous business. At his previous job he worked for a small privately owned family business.

Ole's management team are described as follows:-

34-year-old Kieran McKenna and 38-year-old Michael Carrick in their first senior coaching jobs. Martyn Pert and Mark Dempsey are older, but haven't coached at this elite level much previously.

Can you imagine NIKON's management team comprising two people who have never held a senior position before and the other two who have never worked for a large company.

Then above the Operations Director, is the board of directors, who an industry expert at a similar organization referred to as:- nobody with football experience on the board. Can you imagine that nobody on the board of NIKON has any experience with imaging or optics ?

When I think about it as a business it is only a matter of time before we will be bankrupt.

It boggles the mind.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Massive Euros hangover from the likes of Maguire and Shaw.
Rashy being out for the first quarter of the season.
Fantasy football esque attempts to squeeze in 4 attackers with a 2 man centre mid, especially with the lesser workrate of Ronaldo v Cavani
McTom and Fred not being at last season's level
Varane missing more games injured than playing
Wan Bissaka totally forgetting any sense of positioning
Coming back from deficits as often as last season was never going to be sustainable long term

Perfect storm, as they say
“Fantasy-football-esque”. Class. Good post.

Tincanalley

Honestly? The major problem he had was TOO many good players, in my opinion. A few massively overrated passengers, a few overrated club stalwarts, a serious lack of balance in the team, and genuine bad luck at some really crucial moments, in my opinion.

We were 1 penalty save or goal from de Gea away from a trophy, and that would have made all the difference. Personally would have shifted Pogba and Lingard too.
Winning that first trophy … what if? But in the long run, to win more, he needed better backroom staff, better experience in modern tactics. A midfield. Better use of squad and subs. A new smile, not the second hand one left behind by David Moyes.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Simple really, he never got the basics right. We were never competent in possession, can't play from the back, never had a consistent press, always vulnerable to opposition press, poor at set pieces and never had a plan for how to break down teams. All problems of coaching, either in the the plan or the execution.

He just relied on individual talent to make up the gap and stacked the squad with it instead of properly coaching the team. When the individual talent fell short, confidence dropped and it it became harder and harder for players to find those individual moments. A classic doom spiral. At that point we had nothing to fall back on, no method, no structure, no plan. Just hoping for more moments.

We've struggled for several spells under Ole, but this time it combined with a rough run of fixtures, and defeats begat defeats. Then it just became a simple crisis of confidence that can hit any team.
This. Concise.

R'hllor

Not sure are some taking a piss or its full gold fish mode, people also trying to pin shit on Ronaldo like we played football with high performances before him.

Tincanalley

Nothing special, we were generally not cohesive under Ole and were saved by superior talent more than anything. If I was to answer a question that was asked by an other thread, talented players provide a high ceiling and a talented manager provide a high floor. Ole isn't a talented manager and therefore our floor has always been low which is something that you can't afford when your goal is silverware.
Cracking post. Enjoying this thread.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
When you come in as the Man Utd head coach but aren't a actual coach on the training ground, then it's wise to surround yourself with experienced ones and not rely on people with very little experience of coaching at the highest level. Quite a few of us also voiced our concerns last year regarding the lack of experience within the coaching staff and it's not a surprise that the car eventually crashed.

Solskjaer spoke about implementing a high line 'like Jurgen' and went ahead and signed AWB and Maguire who were not suited to play in such away which I clearly pointed out in their first season with us.

He also persisted with playing McFred together, which IMO was never gonna be the way forward in midfield and the composition of the midfield was structured to contain rather than impose.

Last edited:

Tincanalley

Bruno losing form.

We’ve been rubbish for a long time, he was papering over the cracks.
He was run into the ground last year. Hope he stays and does well with the next boss.

Tincanalley

I think the Cristiano deal ended Solskjaer's career here. Fact is, we don't have the playstyle, personel or tactical set up to allow for a passenger,
I think Ronaldo did some pressing. The press was just not organised, which is on Ole.

Fergie coming out and saying Ronaldo has to start ended any fighting chance Ole had. Think he d have finished the season otherwise.
This is a very good point I hadn’t thought of.

Last edited:

KingCavani

Jesus Christ.

Did people even watch our games prior to Ronaldo joining? Including this season. Have we forgotten the Everton game? The idea that he messed up some high functioning team is absolutely laughable.

The problems long predate him. We had been relying on individual performance for way too long and it was never sustainable. His luck was always going to run out. If anything Ronaldo prolonged his tenure with his performances vs Spurs and Atalanta.

Tincanalley

I just wanted to say thanks Mick1, for weeks I have felt a bit of a loan voice on the Ronaldo issue and as regards the malign influence of Sir Alex Ferguson, several years! Finally I'm getting some support.

Let's park the Ronaldo thing for a minute - the other matter is still a problem. I wonder who thought keeping Phelan on (with Carrick) was a good idea?

I heard on the radio today suggestions Roy Keane might be good in some sort of temporary assistant role, but I knew straight away that wouldn't happen - the club Ambassador wouldn't allow it and on and on and on.... Roberto Mancini for Manager? or Zinedine Zidane? (who is available now) no & no, it will be Pochettino and why, because Sir Alex Ferguson says so....

I've said it before and I will say it again: no matter how successful Pep/Klopp/Tuchel are, one day they will stop and the next day they won't be on the payroll. Why do Man Utd. keep paying SAF £ 3 million a year to make, quite frankly, bad decisions?

You build an empire, brilliant - but you then hang around (even if its in the background, 'advising') and the empire falls, you shouldn't be untouchable and beyond criticism. It's not just Ole who has had his legendary status brought into question recently, but SAF too and over a much longer period: race horse bust up - cozy up to the Glazers - stop buying midfielders (get Scholes back) - anoint Moyes (because Mourinho - in 2013 - wasn't the right fit for Utd!) back Ole, undermine Ole (with the Ronaldo thing) then back him some more - well he had to cos of the phone call he had made.... and so it goes on, have I missed anything?

What a mess. Ole is not the only one the club should be thanking and saying "bye-bye" to, this weekend....
Worthy of a thread. It’s debatable. Personally, I tend to agree with the main thrust of your remarks. I do have a huge soft spot for Ferguson and his personality. He is a born winner. So many great memories. Funny news conferences. But there was the other side, as you listed, and more. And I know I have argued for football people having more influence at board level. This line of argument is sobering. One way or another, he needs to get out of the way of the next manager.

ole@thewheel

It is simple really. The expectation this year suddenly got higher, making the 'house of cards' Ole built collapse.
A multitude of factors contributed on the raised goals, mainly being the signing of Ronaldo.

Greck

Jesus Christ.

Did people even watch our games prior to Ronaldo joining? Including this season. Have we forgotten the Everton game? The idea that he messed up some high functioning team is absolutely laughable.

The problems long predate him. We had been relying on individual performance for way too long and it was never sustainable. His luck was always going to run out. If anything Ronaldo prolonged his tenure with his performances vs Spurs and Atalanta.
That dastardly ronaldo, it's his fault for raising the standard of expectations. It used to be really easy to blame the players (this lot this, this lot that, Ole can't setup to attack because he has no striker and no sancho). Throw in Woodward leaving and there was no one left to hide behind.

Worst part is this funk started before he even knew he was coming back to United. His poor workrate being singled out is an oversimplification. Look at the high press we implemented in that Liverpool game, it was a system wide failing, like literally just pushing the defensive line up and telling them to chase after it.

With all respect I also think people who think we were doing well before him will naturally be numb to the systemic failings that were already here before he joined. How could anyone see the most comical implementation of a high press in modern football and think to talk about only one guy not tracking back. As if it's more relevant than the entire midfield and defense being positioned like amateurs.

Last edited:

meamth

I stood by him till the very end.

But here's my take:
1. When we are pressured to win something this season, he just couldn't do it.
2. Insisting on attacking with freedom, not systematic. It worked a couple of years before, but this year, we've been exposed.
3. Ole is not ruthless enough, or brave enough to try something new.
4. He lacks the fear factor for players.
5. Not trying to add into his coaching team to add some system of play. Hate to admit this.

But I stood by my support for him, I will always support the manager. Except if the manager is a prick..

Alek M

Da manic one
Totally agree on Shaw being poor this season
Maguire too
Bruno carried us last season. Not world class this season
I still don’t know why Sancho was signed. Either he plays all the time otherwise he is hampering the development of Greenwood
Signing Ronaldo was for sentimental reasons but unnecessary. Cavani Or Rashford up top would have been sufficient

If Varane was not injured things might have been different

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He put his trust in players whom he thought were the same ilk as his former teammates. There's an expectation amongst former United players that a top level player should be autonomous and be capable of producing the goods. However, the new bunch needs to be spoonfed.

Greck

Totally agree on Shaw being poor this season
Maguire too
Bruno carried us last season. Not world class this season
I still don’t know why Sancho was signed. Either he plays all the time otherwise he is hampering the development of Greenwood
Signing Ronaldo was for sentimental reasons but unnecessary. Cavani Or Rashford up top would have been sufficient

If Varane was not injured things might have been different
The Sancho thing was pure muppetry greed. Grass is always greener. It was never enough, whatever we didn't have was said to be why we weren't winning. After blaming Jose and Woodward for only ever chasing galacticos.

cyril C

His insitance of a midfield 2 and 424 when we really, really do not have the players for it.

Last year we tended to sit back and catch teams on the break with it, this year he tried to go on the front foot with the same team and it just left us vulnerable to every attack, yesterday was the epitome of it.
We finished 2nd last season. With an addition of a seasoned CB, a seasoned striker, and an expensive winger. While there is no guarantee that we will do better this season, but not worse. As a matter of fact, MUCH MUCH worse than last season. Even a relegating team can butcher our defensive line.

I believe Ole tried to introduce something new on tactics, which clearly backfired. Why didn't he fallback to old & trust tactics? At least against Liverpool and City? No-one would blame him for too defensive if the result was right.

The underlying problem is on the fitness of players. Apart from DDG and CR, who are fit enough to start for any EPL team? No excuse on COVID or Euro, players came back slow and unconcentrated, and we are talking about Nov, not August.

stoinz

When you come in as the Man Utd head coach but aren't a actual coach on the training ground, then it's wise to surround yourself with experienced ones and not rely on people with very little experience of coaching at the highest level. Quite a few of us also voiced our concerns last year regarding the lack of experience within the coaching staff and it's not a surprise that the car eventually crashed.

Solskjaer spoke about implementing a high line 'like Jurgen' and went ahead and signed AWB and Maguire who were not suited to play in such away which I clearly pointed out in their first season with us.

He also persisted with playing McFred together, which IMO was never gonna be the way forward in midfield and the composition of the midfield was structured to contain rather than impose.
He strikes me as a person that is loyal to a fault. Perhaps he is trying to be loyal to Carrick and Mckenna to his downfall but we may never know the truth.
This whole thing just is like a plot straight out from Ted Lasso albeit without the happy ending.

Last edited:

Greck

We finished 2nd last season. With an addition of a seasoned CB, a seasoned striker, and an expensive winger. While there is no guarantee that we will do better this season, but not worse. As a matter of fact, MUCH MUCH worse than last season. Even a relegating team can butcher our defensive line.

I believe Ole tried to introduce something new on tactics, which clearly backfired. Why didn't he fallback to old & trust tactics? At least against Liverpool and City? No-one would blame him for too defensive if the result was right.

The underlying problem is on the fitness of players. Apart from DDG and CR, who are fit enough to start for any EPL team? No excuse on COVID or Euro, players came back slow and unconcentrated, and we are talking about Nov, not August.
It wasn't so easy to go back to his style from last season. Those tactics were never actually accepted they were just tolerated because of the rationale(excuse) that he hadn't been backed and didn't have the squad to play attacking football. United never accepted defensive football even if you came 2nd, case in point, Jose and the heckling he received during the season we finished 2nd. Josee was already losing favour before the Sevilla game because of his style. After Ole got backed and bought a Striker and Sancho he no longer had a justifiable reason to play conservative. It was time to put up or get put down.

Amir

So suddenly almost all of our players are unprofessional enough to get to the season in good fitness? That would be rather odd.

Amir

He was signed because no one expected Ronaldo, who pushed Greenwood to the right wing - who pushed Sancho to the left or to the bench.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The game we played was not sustainable, we didn't have a clear plan. So naturally we were inconsistent team. We went on bad runs and then good runs in all seasons, this time it was extended run.

Roane

Very emotional interview. Felt really bad for him he obviously has a lot of love for all things UTD.

That said, and I'm not trying to be nasty here, but his interview and the emotion kind of made me think he was wrong for the job.

He comes across as the ultimate nice guy and is still so positive about the players and their hard work and effort when that was what was lacking, for me. He's made friends and seems to be liked by all, going by social media responses since his sacking, but he was the manager of one of the biggest clubs in the world not the tea lady.

Ive always been a big fan of Ole, the player and the person and I got a little emotional with him listening to that interview. But in the cold light of day it's annoyed me a little too. A sort of stop being so nice and kick some arse ffs, kind of way.

Longshanks

An attempt to introduce a high press philosophy has failed, the press wasn't organised and the players never looked completely committed. Some would go some wouldnt leaving massive gaps between the lines making us far to easy to play through. Performances and results took a turn for the worse players looked confused unsure what to do and it all come together in a perfect storm against Liverpool.

From that point Ole had to try and change something he went defensive and disciplined counter attacking to try and rescue the season and that led us to the incredibly passive performance against City, from a disorganised attempt at being aggressive vs Liverpool to an organised but unbelievably passive performance against City it became clear that Ole couldn't find the balance and the players were in a complete muddle with confidence at rock bottom.

The last harrah against Watford was a joke, starting matic and mctom in the pivot against Watford sort of summed everything up as did the first half performance, lack of organisation no clear plan with or without the ball and an invisible midfield that wasn't linking up with the attack or protecting the defensive line.

He tried, he failed and its always easy to point out mistakes in hindsight. So no hard feelings and he will always be a legend, hopefully a better manager/coach will come in and unlock the potential of the squad and Oles hard work of the last couple of seasons won't be for nothing.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The only thing that changed was Ronaldo and Ole's favouritism towards him/him not being able to drop him or him simply not seeing the tactical flaws that Ronaldo was giving.

Proof - teams were playing low block vs us last year and people complained about how we couldn't break a low block by creating chances. Our main problem last year.

This year the low block teams are no where to see and every single team from the level of Watford, Everton second half, Leicester, Liverpool, Atalanta and City are able to put us under immense immense pressure due to their ability to come forward and control the game at their own will. They have all the time in the back to dictate play in their defensive lines.

The low block teams has dissappeared. Bruno is being blamed for pressing simply because Ronaldo doesn't do it - what does that lead to if Bruno didn't press? United playing as a low block team itself against teams like Watford to Everton who are able to be the team that put us under pressure whilst we sit back and purely try to defend against it. United has turned to the low block team.

The other proof - the 424. Did we play this last year, we see it almost every game now why?

Because Ronaldo doesn't press, he doesn't even stay central, he stays deep standing still away from the opposition CB'S, heavily shunted towards a LF role; giving them an immense level of time to control the match and pick the passes. That's why they control the match to a whole different level than last season. What happens when Bruno goes to press to stop the opposition having all the time in the world (if he didn't we would be a low block team) - then it looks like a 424 because of how left sided and non pressing pressure Ronaldo puts on the CB'S. Bruno goes to press the CB'S and suddenly we are 424.

Suddenly the opposition CB'S that had all the time in the world picks a certain midfielder team mate out against a team lined up as a 424 and only has to take 2 midfielders left to take out before reaching our defensive line which is extremely easy because our wingers don't drop back either (they are goalscoring inverted forwards - why should they). This is why people see teams like Watford cutting through our team like a cake, consistently mentioned in games.

The thing is Ronaldo was not a planned transfer and it shows.

Ole is not a tactical manager and it shows because he kept using Ronaldo as a single ST without seeing the tactical problems that nearly every other Ronaldo manager saw when using him out wide than central or with a striker partner (Zidane, Mourinho, SAF, Juventus managers etc).

The worst thing is Ole was a pussy. Ronaldo was bigger than Ole, we saw this in the Everton match when everyone complained about him being dropped for 45 mins. :eek: Ronaldo is a god at United and Ole was ultimately underneath him - either not seeing his tactical flaws or being forced to utelise him every game.

Last edited:

GueRed

I dont rate Ole and his staff. I've said it before IMO he's not a top tier manager.

To be fair to him this season he hasnt been helped with a lot of players playing utter dogshit.

You could maybe carry a couple of players but when four, five, six players virtually half the team are underperforming then
lets be honest you dont have much chance of winning football matches in the Premiership.

It's a results business. 1 win in 7 i think is not on.

He's also neglected the midfield the last few years too which has come back to bite him. but yeah whatever could go on and on.

Bye Ole.

Greck

He was signed because no one expected Ronaldo, who pushed Greenwood to the right wing - who pushed Sancho to the left or to the bench.
Ronaldo is a striker though, one of the 4 or 5 positions everyone said we needed to reinforce last season. Neville was already getting the excuses in roasting the club for not buying Ole a striker. Meanwhile whenever it was raised that Sancho and Greenwood play the same position people replied saying we would rotate them and those making an issue of it were reaching. As if that's how rotation works. These people including Ole didn't seem to apply much foresight, they just knew they wanted a galactico world class signing. It didn't matter we already had one of our best prospects playing there.

Ralph1386

What went wrong for him this year was exactly what started going wrong for him last year. The signs were already there during our CL group fiasco last year. Then the EL final confirmed it: playing a team with a weaker squad than us and yet being outcoached.

Last year he ran players like Bruno and Rashford to the ground. He would not rotate the squad properly, causing fatigue to the players he kept picking, and resentment from the ones he was freezing out. It all came to a head and caught up with him this season.

Idxomer

As some pointed out we had a huge number of comebacks in empty stadiums last season which was never sustainable.

People can go back to see that we went the full campaign with barely playing well in the 1st half of games. There was more than one thread about that. The team has never been equipped or drilled to face those pressures. We had a manager who left everything to his coaches and players to figure things out for themselves. He put himself in the position of Fergie with no merit whatsoever. The collapse started much earlier but didn't go into full effect till this season.

We went into the season lacking preparation and with the same old habits. Sign Varane and the defense would be perfect, get Sancho and the right side problems would go away, bring back Ronaldo and no one can stop us. There was no plan, just get better players and hope they win the games and trophies on their own.

Oranges038

The only thing that changed was Ronaldo and Ole's favouritism towards him/him not being able to drop him or him simply not seeing the tactical flaws that Ronaldo was giving.

Proof - teams were playing low block vs us last year and people complained about how we couldn't break a low block by creating chances. Our main problem last year.

This year the low block teams are no where to see and every single team from the level of Watford, Everton second half, Leicester, Liverpool, Atalanta and City are able to put us under immense immense pressure due to their ability to come forward and control the game at their own will. They have all the time in the back to dictate play in their defensive lines.

The low block teams has dissappeared. Bruno is being blamed for pressing simply because Ronaldo doesn't do it - what does that lead to if Bruno didn't press? United playing as a low block team itself against teams like Watford to Everton who are able to be the team that put us under pressure whilst we sit back and purely try to defend against it. United has turned to the low block team.

The other proof - the 424. Did we play this last year, we see it almost every game now why?

Because Ronaldo doesn't press, he doesn't even stay central, he stays deep standing still away from the opposition CB'S, heavily shunted towards a LF role; giving them an immense level of time to control the match and pick the passes. That's why they control the match to a whole different level than last season. What happens when Bruno goes to press to stop the opposition having all the time in the world (if he didn't we would be a low block team) - then it looks like a 424 because of how left sided and non pressing pressure Ronaldo puts on the CB'S. Bruno goes to press the CB'S and suddenly we are 424.

Suddenly the opposition CB'S that had all the time in the world picks a certain midfielder team mate out against a team lined up as a 424 and only has to take 2 midfielders left to take out before reaching our defensive line which is extremely easy because our wingers don't drop back either (they are goalscoring inverted forwards - why should they). This is why people see teams like Watford cutting through our team like a cake, consistently mentioned in games.

Ole is not a tactical manager and it shows because he kept using Ronaldo as a single ST without seeing the tactical problems that nearly every other Ronaldo manager saw when using him out wide than central or with a striker partner (Zidane, Mourinho, SAF, Juventus managers etc).

The worst thing is Ole was a pussy. Ronaldo was bigger than Ole, we saw this in the Everton match when everyone complained about him being dropped for 45 mins. :eek: Ronaldo is a god at United and Ole was ultimately underneath him - either not seeing his tactical flaws or being forced to utelise him every game.
Ok ok.. we get it.

You hate Ronaldo..

Bestietom

Depending on his Favourites, instead of balancing the team .
Not substituting the right players, when everyone in the stadium knew who he should be taking off.
Was way out of his depth and wouldn't accept help by bringing in a top coach.
Picking staff that were not up to standard either.
Finally he was a YES man for Woodward and the Glazers.

AFC NimbleThumb

Sigh.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
A few things that stick out to me:

- I wonder what things would look like if we stuck to original transfer plans and bought the Defensive Midfielder we so obviously needed, rather than Ronaldo
- Arguably our 3 best players last season in Maguire, Shaw and Bruno have been absolutely rotten. Bruno seems hellbent on breaking all team structure and popping up in a centre forward's position - meaning there's a huge gap between midfield and attack. This is something Ole didn't fix for some reason
- Reluctance to use full squad when first team players weren't justifying a starting position (Maguire, Shaw, Fred, McTominay etc) when you have fine backups in VDB, Telles, Lingard...
- Moving away from counter attack / fast paced approach and not having an idea on how to control games. Especially in big games. I was pulling my hair out at seeing the lineup vs City - Ronaldo and Greenwood up top who simply aren't going to press, run the channels and play on counter. Couldn't get my head around it when Ole had so much success against Pep with players like James, Lingard, Rashford all playing fast and direct.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
In his farewell interview he said he told the players to ‘go out and enjoy being a Man Utd player’ against Villarreal this week. I suspect that’s all his team talk would have amounted to if he’d been in charge for the game.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Ok ok.. we get it.

You hate Ronaldo..
You absolutely love him to the point he can do something with your friends or family and he would still be loved more with no problems.

The only thing that changed from last year and its not his fault.

How cute :lol:

Not a single bit of proof back, just signs, moans and orgasmic noises

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
1. Blatant favouritism towards some players. Maguire for instance has been beyond shit the whole season and has single handedly cost us in a lot of games
2. This favourtism will also lead to dressing room unrest. How does Donny and Baily feel when they constantly gets overlooked for players who are doing really poorly
3. Our defending has been brutal this season. No structure, personal mistakes aplenty and just lazyness overall

Roane

In his farewell interview he said he told the players to ‘go out and enjoy being a Man Utd player’ against Villarreal this week. I suspect that’s all his team talk would have amounted to if he’d been in charge for the game.
He was here to make friends, or how the interview comes across to me.

Players sensed this and instead of applying effort simply didn't bother if displays on the pitch are to go by.

Needed a ruthless streak. This isn't a game for friends

Status
Not open for further replies.