What would convince you that Ole should be made permanent manager?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Despite the fact that Saf confirming that the club did look and sounded out other options, and many of these rumored candidates coming out to confirm that yes there was contact from the club. Sure.
who? when? and contact means very little...

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
if we were to get through tonight (which I don't see us doing), I reckon the club would make the announcement before the Arsenal game

Member 115509

Qualifying tonight already two down from the first leg and with all the players that will be missing would be a major plus point.
It's hard to see though. Ajax obviously sprang a surprise last night but Real are an absolute mess just now and an accident waiting to happen. PSG are a tough prospect, the odds are seriously stacked against United tonight, it's almost a free hit.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am not convinced yet. Yes, i am happy how things are going on but i am still for Poch.
1) Is our form and good atmosphere because of Ole or because of positive shock?
2) Poch is made for us. Can we risk it with Ole?
3) Ole offered new contract to Phil Jones. Why, Ole, why??( just kidding about this)

I really can't decide. It is huge huge call by Ed. I know one thing. It is Ole or Poch for me. 3rd solution would be wrong choice.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I am not convinced yet. Yes, i am happy how things are going on but i am still for Poch.
3) Ole offered new contract to Phil Jones. Why, Ole, why??( just kidding about this)

I really can't decide. It is huge huge call by Ed. I know one thing. It is Ole or Poch for me. 3rd solution would be wrong choice.
WHAT? :lol: surely that's the other way around. Ole is Man United through and through.

shaky

Why on earth would you want to gamble what we have now, after years of awfulness, on yet another unknown quantity? One thing that's guaranteed is that the crowd will not be behind Poch like they're behind Ole.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Why on earth would you want to gamble what we have now, after years of awfulness, on yet another unknown quantity? One thing that's guaranteed is that the crowd will not be behind Poch like they're behind Ole.
Look as i said, i don't know. This situation has pros and cons. Shakespeare, Di matteo, Phelan, Sherwood...they all were great as caretakers and then in next season things were bad.
I am not against Ole, not at all. Just saying that i have some doubts. But i wanted LVG and Jose so what the hell i know about this subject:lol::lol:

OldSchoolManc

There is NO better choice than Ole right now.
He has a great staff with him, that know the club inside out.
Anyone new coming in, would probably want their own team of staff and we could see a turbulent time again.
Ole deserves AT LEAST a full season at the wheel.
He just gets it. I loved what he said in the presser before PSG - No match is a lost cause...This is Manchester United we are talking about!
No newcomer understands that straight away. The weight of expectation is far too heavy for most, but Ole is clearly enjoying it AND coping with expectations.

Jonno

It's already his. I don't even think there's a worthy debate.

I reckon he's already been offered the job behind closed doors.

Jonno

Look as i said, i don't know. This situation has pros and cons. Shakespeare, Di matteo, Phelan, Sherwood...they all were great as caretakers and then in next season things were bad.
I am not against Ole, not at all. Just saying that i have some doubts. But i wanted LVG and Jose so what the hell i know about this subject:lol::lol:
People comparing Ole to Di Matteo, why :lol:

Chelsea are a completely different kettle of fish in terms of the way they operate and what they want from a manager. Their fans have zero say in proceedings and they don't have a core history to adhere to. Chelsea want a high turnover of managers to bring in waves of success. Man United want to support their manager for the long term and bring sustained success. They tried with Mourinho, they will try with Ole. As long as he keeps us playing the style of football we and he both love, it won't turn sour like it did at Chelsea

United Hobbit

I agree it's a huge huge call- even on here you can see people are still split even with most pro Ole you still have the supporters of Pochettino too

If whoever we appoint permanently gets off to a poor start/ makes questionable signings (that are clearly their decision not influenced by Ed) if its Ole as manager you'll get people saying it should have been Pochettino as he has the most experience, if its Pochettino as manager you'll get the people asking why didn't they appoint Ole who had already raised the morale.

I would say Pochettino is more of a risk and if you appoint him instead of Ole you potentially risk an even more toxic atmosphere than with Jose in his third season from the fans as they will be questioning why did they break something that potentially wasnt broken. I wasn't expecting Ole to do so well but hes done such a fantastic job hes almost put pressure on the next manager should it not be himself.

He speaks like a United manager, despite the injuries I haven't once heard him moan, the way he says United should be challenging for trophies its what you want to be hearing, even tonight when I think unfortunately we have too much to do especially with the injuries what he said yesterday has just given that flicker of hope.

I know a lot of the people on here go to the games but it would be interesting to know of the season ticket holders what split of them is pro Ole and which is pro Pochettino.

I think picking anyone but those 2 would be a huge mistake.

It would be interesting to see their transfer targets, I think Ole would be looking at your less "Hollywood " type signings, more your Andy Robertson types and look how that's turned out for Liverpool. Pochettino would be interesting as we haven't seen him with money.

Also would Ole be able to cope with the pressure of being the permanent manager of United? At the moment he almost has nothing to lose, keep winning and emhe puts the pressure on to make him the next permanent manager, if he hadn't done as well as he has people would still blame Jose, being temporary manager has a lot less pressure to being permanent one, Jose left us in such a state he wasnt expected to do well with our apparently downed tools squad. Could Ole cope with the pressure of challenging on all 3 fronts for trophies which is where we hope to be back to?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan

MoskvaRed

I think the lessons of the last 3 years are:

1. Every appointment is a gamble (even a “winner” like Mourinho).
2. United as a club needs to move away from the all powerful manager model as its 2019 and there is only one Alex Ferguson.
3. Club identity is not just myth making and you need a certain type at United (but not necessarily a former United player).

So, at this stage, I see the best option as Ole (with Phelan) plus director of football. There is something about Poch that doesn’t quite feel right, even if I’d struggle to elucidate it.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Because of that first 30 minutes, it won’t get credit, but United only gave 3 shots away in the final hour of the game. 3 shots away at PSG in an hour! He got the personnel wrong, but kept the system and after the sub we did brilliant. An absolute masterclass from Ole once again.

Just remember how bad our defence was under Mourinho and think about the defensive performances against Chelsea away and PSG away. He’s inspiring attack and defence.

A trophy would be lovely, but he’s done everything else. He’s made us Manchester United again.

LungiDevil

Don't see the point. After today, it is clear that is another RDM. We'll need to go full speed for Poch.

Enigma_87

You know who
This. Tonight. And what he has done so far.

He should be given the chance.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yeah that. Everything against him and us. Always said motivation and morale is underrated. He brings it in droves.

Marcus

Just for the heck of it since I am already convinced. To answer the question - beat PSG and go to the next round while United nurses 11 injuries.
Well I guess that's me sorted.

Minimalist

Think we need to bring in WADA to drug test the naysayers at this point...

Inter Yer Nan

Ok, he's won at PSG in impossible circumstances, gone to Chelsea and Arsenal and knocked them both out the cup, he's also had his reserves limit a title contender to no chances and won at Spurs but I need to see him pass a real test. Too bad Stoke aren't around anymore.

Siorac

At this point it would be ridiculous not to give him the job. Ten players out, including your entire midfield? No problem: keeps smiling, keeps tweaking the tactics, keeps getting results. Yeah, no big deal, we're missing some players but we have others instead of them so let's just do what we have to, no use complaining about it after all.

Incredible man.

spiriticon

We'll see after the next match. That'll be his first REAL test. It's been too easy a ride for him so far.

:devil:

ZupZup

He’s been good so far... but I want to see what happens on Sunday. Going to Arsenal after a big win like that in the Champions League will be a real test for him.

Dominos

There's still a very reasonable chance we finish outside the top 4 and finish trophyless. It really has to depend on how we finish the season, no reason to make any decisions before the summer.

Up to this point he can't have done anything more. He's eliminated Arsenal, Chelsea and PSG in away ties of the cup competitions, and has us sat in 4th. Crazy.

John Blund

I'll turn when The Govnor Ince approves. I guess we're still just witnessing something Bruce, Hughes, and Ince would do even better.

Minimalist

There's still a very reasonable chance we finish outside the top 4 and finish trophyless. It really has to depend on how we finish the season, no reason to make any decisions before the summer.

Up to this point he can't have done anything more. He's eliminated Arsenal, Chelsea and PSG in away ties of the cup competitions, and has us sat in 4th. Crazy.
Oh god imagine....

We're not used to that are we?

Reiver

I don't know...maybe a highly unlikely away win in the UCL. Oh, and just to make it difficult, we have to come back from a 2-0 deficit.

dave1956

What is his next test, I suggest can he walk on water, if not we appoint Paul Ince

Robertd0803

At this stage the question thread title should be why shouldnt Ole be manager full time.

FFK Norway

Supports
Fredrikstad FK and Brighton
People say and compare him to Dimatteo and such.
Many of them had no experience.

Solskjær have years of experience leading teams. Yes he don't have experience leading in premier league. But winning any league demands tactics. Understanding of building a team. And making them stay at the top for a whole season.

So I do not agree in comparing him with them. Cause Ole has been doing this for years already.
He also did well with the reserve team. He just need some backing throughout the next transfer windows and he will do fine

Also don't underestimate the Norwegian league, we did have Rosenborg qualifying to champions league many times with some incredible wins.

Several well known English managers have been in Norway leading teams without winning our league Roy Hodgson is one of them so it's harder than you think to be a winner.

Micky Targaryen

Unpopular opinion here, but I'd still say to wait until the end of season to reach a more informed decision. I'm not saying I'm not convinced and obviously I'm elated about last night's result and Ole has done an incredible job thus far, but it's not like Ole is the type to pressure the club to hand out a contract now. Even Molde and all of Norway seem delighted that Ole is at our club. But so far, I do agree that it'd be mad to not keep Ole at our club in some capacity, after tonight's incredible achievement.