What would Fergie’s starting XI be with this squad?

RashyForPM

Always found this thread interesting. Seems to be created every season but it hasn’t so far. Provided Pogba, Cavani etc are all fit of course. Essentially, his first choice XI. I’ll go:

Henderson
AWB Jones Bailly Shaw
Matic
Bruno Pogba
Greenwood Cavani Rashford

In goal, Dean would have displaced a declining DDG by this point, with Fergie labelling him the future best goalkeeper in the world and our number 1 for the next 15 years.

At the back, the first name people will talk about is Jones. Well, Fergie rated him very highly (we can tell simply from THAT interview) and if he was still here, you can guarantee that injuries aside, he’d have been possibly Varane level and our main CB for the past decade. With AWB, I’m sure Fergie would make him the next Gary Neville. Rest is fairly self-explanatory.

In the middle, Matic would play the role of Carrick as the sitting midfielder, who while not very mobile, can dictate the game from deep and break up opposition attacks. Bruno would plain and simply be his next Cristiano/RvP and with Pogba, he never disliked him, simply his agent. He’d play, and he’d back Bruno up majestically in the creative stakes, with Fergie seamlessly getting both to track back tirelessly (Pogba can do it, he was very hardworking at Juve under Allegri and France under Deschamps, 2 strict disciplinarians).

Finally, upfront. Rashford and Greenwood would play and become the next Giggs and Beckham, with their goal tallies in the 20s every season. They would absolutely explode under Fergie in the best possible manner, to the point where we’d be talking about them in the same sentences as Mbappe now. Cavani is fairly self-explanatory as well. Martial would never start over him under Fergie because unlike Pogba, he’s always had a laidback, lazy attitude, and not the quality of players like Berbatov.

So, where would we finish in the league? First, of course. It’s Fergie. Once we get to the top around January, the relentlessness and winning mentality would kick in, we’d match this City team all the way and pip them to the title. It’s the greatest manager of all time after all.

Bwuk

Henderson
AWB - Bailly - Maguire - Shaw
James - McTominay - Pogba - Rashford
Bruno
Cavani​

Tarrou

Probably not very different to the current teams. He'd certainly pick Dan James for certain games to do a job. McTominay would be the first name on the team-sheet, and certainly for every big game.

I think he'd have dropped DDG by now. The rest I can't see any major difference.

RashyForPM

Henderson
James - McTominay - Pogba - Rashford
Bruno
Cavani​
Probably not very different to the current teams. He'd certainly pick Dan James for certain games to do a job. McTominay would be the first name on the team-sheet, and certainly for every big game.

I think he'd have dropped DDG by now. The rest I can't see any major difference.
James is a good shout. I didn’t include McT as I directly compared him to the likes of Fletcher and Butt, and aside from Fletcher’s prime in 2008-10 those two were never first XI players. At this moment, Matic can do the job Carrick used to while McT is not in his prime yet.

el3mel

Jones won't be fit even if he wanted to play with him. :lol:

De Gea
AWB - Baily - Maguire - Shaw
James - Fred - Scott - Rashford
Bruno
Cavani

always_hoping

Always found this thread interesting. Seems to be created every season but it hasn’t so far. Provided Pogba, Cavani etc are all fit of course. Essentially, his first choice XI. I’ll go:

Henderson
AWB Jones Bailly Shaw
Matic
Bruno Pogba

In goal, Dean would have displaced a declining DDG by this point, with Fergie labelling him the future best goalkeeper in the world and our number 1 for the next 15 years.

At the back, the first name people will talk about is Jones. Well, Fergie rated him very highly (we can tell simply from THAT interview) and if he was still here, you can guarantee that injuries aside, he’d have been possibly Varane level and our main CB for the past decade. With AWB, I’m sure Fergie would make him the next Gary Neville. Rest is fairly self-explanatory.

In the middle, Matic would play the role of Carrick as the sitting midfielder, who while not very mobile, can dictate the game from deep and break up opposition attacks. Bruno would plain and simply be his next Cristiano/RvP and with Pogba, he never disliked him, simply his agent. He’d play, and he’d back Bruno up majestically in the creative stakes, with Fergie seamlessly getting both to track back tirelessly (Pogba can do it, he was very hardworking at Juve under Allegri and France under Deschamps, 2 strict disciplinarians).

Finally, upfront. Rashford and Greenwood would play and become the next Giggs and Beckham, with their goal tallies in the 20s every season. They would absolutely explode under Fergie in the best possible manner, to the point where we’d be talking about them in the same sentences as Mbappe now. Cavani is fairly self-explanatory as well. Martial would never start over him under Fergie because unlike Pogba, he’s always had a laidback, lazy attitude, and not the quality of players like Berbatov.

So, where would we finish in the league? First, of course. It’s Fergie. Once we get to the top around January, the relentlessness and winning mentality would kick in, we’d match this City team all the way and pip them to the title. It’s the greatest manager of all time after all.
This season? 2nd, City would still win the title. Even the greatest manager of all time had periods of rebuilding before a serious title challenge was mounted.

I look at current squad and wonder how many Ferguson would have signed or offload. For one he'd never bring Pogba back. Probably would have sign bargain priced foreign centre back before Maguire (the luxury of better recruitment) Jones would be long gone, probably back at Blackburn and still struggling to keep himself fit.

Only so much you can get out of Greenwood thus far when he's only 19 and learning the ropes. Would Rashford be able to deliver the same workrate and defensively capabilities or be as consistent on free kicks and crosses as Beckham was at United under Ferguson? Doubtful. One thing to note he's already on the verge of 2nd season with 20+ goals

BlackBen

De Gea
AWB Bailly Maguire Shaw
Fred Pogba
Bruno
James Cavani Rashford

largelyworried

The difficulty with guessing about what Fergie would do is that he changed so much over the years. For years he played 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1, but then post Ruud suddenly started playing all sorts of variations on 4-5-1 or 4-3-3, especially when he was accommodating Ronaldo a bit later down the line. One interesting thought would be to consider what the 1999 version of SAF would play. Im guessing the following

Henderson
Rashford - Matic - Bruno - James
Cavani - Greenwood
The defence mainly picks itself. Henderson in net for sure.

In 1999 it wasn't that common to see inverted wingers. Rashford would be a definite starter, so I think he'd be played on the right in his "natural" position as a right footer. James would end up on the left due to a lack of options in that position. In the middle, he'd have the classic enforcer + creator pairing that we saw in Keane and Scholes, with Bruno pushing up to make the extra man in the penalty area as often as possible. Up front, he was wedded to using two strikers in that era, so I think he'd go for Cavani and Greenwood, two "real" strikers.

Game plan would be classic 90s Fergie. Maguire or Matic to win the ball, recycle it quickly wide with 2 or 3 passes, where the full back would make a decoy run and create space for the wide player to swing the ball into the box. Then either the two strikers riff off each other to make a chance, or Bruno arrives super late to overload the defence and get a free hit on the ball from 18 yards out.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This season?
De Gea
Wan Bissaka Bailly Maguire Shaw
James McTominay Fred -------------
--------------------- Bruno - Rashford
Cavani
Pogba rotating in when he's fit but that's not frequent enough to count him as a starter. Sometimes Bruno playing CM and us going 2 up top with Rashford on the left, rotating in Greenwood or Martial (or both instead of Cavani). I suspect James would play frequently and McTominay would play almost always, as would Bruno and Rashford.

He would then look at our right wing and see how a position that was always stupidly strong under him is woefully inadequate right now. And he'd go out and get Sancho. He'd also probably go all out to get Haaland, which is what I'm sure Ole is doing anyway so no worries there.

I don't think he'd be a big fan of Lindelof next to Maguire tbh, I also don't think he'd have replaced De Gea this year, but likely next year make the switch to Henderson. All on all, personnel/selection wise, I don't think there'd be a huge difference. Maybe a bigger push to fix right wing and striker more urgently, and look at Greenwood and Diallo and tell them to improve to a level where they have to start and give him a selection problem (and they would be more likely to do so as well).

Deery

Dreary
Henderson
Wan Bissaka Bailly Maguire Shaw

Pogba

Rashford McTominay Bruno James

Cavani​

Grande

Fergie 1988:

Henderson

Bissaka Lindelöf Maguire Shaw

James McTominay Fred Rashford

Bruno Cavani

Fergie 2008:

De Gea

Bissaka Bailly Maguire Shaw

Bruno Matic Pogba

Rashford Cavani Martial

mav_9me

The other huge difference would be RW. He would either play Diallo more if he thought he was good or he would buy (would have bought) a RW. Can you imagine a Fergie team without 2 proper wide players?

tomaldinho1

I think there'd be a lot of changes. He might have dropped Martial by now but I think he'd have kept him LW and shown him a lot of patience, given him penalties and played on his confidence a lot more. Greenwood would get a lot of time at No9 as well.

-------------------------Henderson----------------------
AWB ------ Bailly ----------- Maguire ------ Shaw
------------------------ Matic -------------------------------
----------------McT --------------- Bruno ---------------
Rashford--------------------------------------- Martial
-------------------------- Cavani-----------------------------

mav_9me

Fergie 1988:

Henderson

Bissaka Lindelöf Maguire Shaw

James McTominay Fred Rashford

Bruno Cavani

Fergie 2008:

De Gea

Bissaka Bailly Maguire Shaw

Bruno Matic Pogba

Rashford Cavani Martial
Zero chance he plays Martial. Unless you are saying martial would be much better under him by now.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Is this thread a test? Ferguson didn't have a first XI for any situation. He rotated and picked bespoke. tailored sides more than any other manager has done.

bosnian_red

Zero chance he plays Martial. Unless you are saying martial would be much better under him by now.
Yeah Martial would be a squad player at best IMO. Bruno would be his Rooney and Rashford would be his Ronaldo from 07-09 (he's at his best when used like that, though obviously not on the same level...). Now just need someone to swap with him on the other side.

bosnian_red

The other huge difference would be RW. He would either play Diallo more if he thought he was good or he would buy (would have bought) a RW. Can you imagine a Fergie team without 2 proper wide players?
This does my head in. Our right wing was our strongest position or one of them for pretty much his entire time here. Kanchelskis, Sharpe, Beckham, Ronaldo, Valencia (won POTY under Sir Alex there), Nani... to then having Januzaj for a bit, Mata out of position, Di Maria stinking it up under Van Gaal, Mkhitaryan, and then just playing players out of position on the right since Mkhitaryan left since we had nobody natural. The most natural right sided player we have now is James, and he's a solid player but not good enough of course. Greenwood is a 19 year old striker. Rashford a left winger. Diallo way too young still. It'd be the absolute #1 priority for Sir Alex as he knew how important a quality winger was for him.

Counterfactual

In 1999 it wasn't that common to see inverted wingers. Rashford would be a definite starter, so I think he'd be played on the right in his "natural" position as a right footer. James would end up on the left due to a lack of options in that position. In the middle, he'd have the classic enforcer + creator pairing that we saw in Keane and Scholes, with Bruno pushing up to make the extra man in the penalty area as often as possible. Up front, he was wedded to using two strikers in that era, so I think he'd go for Cavani and Greenwood, two "real" strikers.

Game plan would be classic 90s Fergie. Maguire or Matic to win the ball, recycle it quickly wide with 2 or 3 passes, where the full back would make a decoy run and create space for the wide player to swing the ball into the box. Then either the two strikers riff off each other to make a chance, or Bruno arrives super late to overload the defence and get a free hit on the ball from 18 yards out.
Bloody nostalgia trip that! Loved it!

NinjaFletch

I think these questions are always interesting because they strike at the heart of the issues of human memory. All of us remember ‘Ferguson’ slightly differently, and end up with some radically different teams as a result. I also think it highlights how much the game has changed since Ferguson’s retirement, and I’m not convinced what Ferguson would have done would be the same as what he would do now if he were still managing. We notably struggled against teams that pressed us even in the last years of Ferguson’s reign and he would have to have addressed that.

So with those caveats raised, this is what I remember.

Ferguson absolutely loved strikers and Cavani is the only player we have that fits the profile. He’s a nailed on started with Fernandes in behind him. I also think it’s a possibility that he’d go 4-4-2 at times with the team and play Greenwood or Martial alongside Cavani. I don’t see him being a huge fan of Martial full stop, but I don’t think he would have seen him as a wide player.

I don’t think Ferguson was ever fully convinced by the idea of inverted wingers and even Ronaldo spent large periods of time playing from the right, so I think Rashford would operate from there more than some of us would like. He wasn’t an idiot though, so if Rashford’s performances from the left were better he’d have played him there. I also agree with the idea that he’d like the idea of James, but again, that’s because I don’t think the other options fit his idea of a wide player.

I also am not convinced I can think of a single Ferguson midfielder who was like Fred. I guess some people will point towards Keane as a box to box midfielder, but I don’t think the comparison makes any sense. These high energy work horses have become commonplace since Ferguson retired, but I think he’d have plumped for a more solid option. I also am not sure what he’d do with Pogba (although I’m sure he wouldn’t have resigned him), but I suspect he would take issue with Pogba’s defensive work in what, often, became a midfield two. I’d suspect we’d end up with Matic and McTominay, but that might be my own biases creeping in.

Defence is easier, but I don’t recall him favouring players like Bailly, and I think that De Gea would have gone, too. Anyone that’s heard Ben Foster talk about his time at United knows that Ferguson did not suffer goalkeeping errors gladly.

So I think, probably: Henderson, AWB, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw, Rashford, Matic, McTominay, James, Fernandes, Cavani is the most Fergie side it’s possible to assemble from our options, but I don’t think we’d have built the side we had if he was still here.

I also think that it’s plausible Pogba would play wide in big games; in fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if that idea came from Fergie himself.

Last edited:

Remember the geese

Henderson, Shaw, Maguire, Bailly, Wan-Bissaka, McTominay, Pogba, Fernandes, Rashford, Cavani, Greenwood.

If everyone was fit, I think this would be his team. The two areas I'm most unsure of is the goalkeeper and whether Martial would sneak into the lineup. Perhaps over Greenwood. Though not sure how that would be a balanced front 3. I think Pogba would play in a pivot with McTominay despite his talents being best utilised further forward. Reminds me a bit of when he tried to mould Anderson into an all action central midfielder, rather than the player I thought he would become when we first signed him.

jem

James is a good shout. I didn’t include McT as I directly compared him to the likes of Fletcher and Butt, and aside from Fletcher’s prime in 2008-10 those two were never first XI players. At this moment, Matic can do the job Carrick used to while McT is not in his prime yet.
I think you are somewhat underrating the job Carrick used to do for us - if Matic were in his prime, I’d be more inclined to agree.

OleBoiii

Fergie is a wizard, but not even he could keep Jones away from the infirmary.

My guess:

---------------------------- DDG -----------------------
--- AWB - Lindelöf - Maguire - Shaw ----
James - McTominay - Fred - Rashford
------------------------- Bruno -----------------------
------------------------ Cavani -----------------------

Pogba would be sold asap. He'd be looking for a CF and CB. He'd love Haaland, but feel conflicted because of Raiola.

Grande

Depends. if it was Martial of last season, I think he would. Not in1998 though, he didn’t have the patience nor understanding for characters like Martial then. By 2008, he’d learnt that some players nead a more caring approach. I think Nani was not too dissimilar. If it was Martial of this season, I think he would play him vs Crystal Palace this week to build his confidence, but he would have sat out the Chelsea game. He’d possibly have tried Van de Beek in a Park-role, or gone with James in a 4-5-1. Said the psychic.:lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'd love to know how many posters who post a line-up in this thread will be able to successfully differentiate between "the line-up the greatest manager of all time would have gone with" and "the line-up I would go with".

Because if the brief spell I was posting on this forum while SAF was still here is anything to go by, the surest way to pick SAF's favoured line-up would be to opt for one that leaves the caf hivemind angry and confused.

Eire Red United

Henderson
AWB Jones Bailly Shaw
Matic
Bruno Pogba

I’d agree with all, but McT would be in ahead of Matic I reckon, also Smalling or Evans would likely be still here and starting.

Grande

When / Which side?
I’d say

Schmeichel
Parker Pallister Bruce Irwin
Kanchelskis Ince Robson Sharpe
McClair Hughes

was a pretty clear one, with Webb in for Robson because of all the injuries. Giggs slowly displaced Sharpe, and McClair went into rotation on the arrival of Cantona.

Schmeichel
Neville Johnsen Stam Irwin
Beckham Keane Butt Giggs
Cole Yorke

with Scholes almost there of course, and Johnsens injuries gave space to Berg mostly. Rotation became increasingly necessary with the growth of CL, but

Van der Sar
Neville Ferdinand Vidic Evra
Ronaldo Carrick Scholes Giggs
Tevez Rooney

was also a pretty clear preferred choice for a while there, thrown into a 4-3-3 in Europe.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
———————De Gea—————
AWB—Lindelof-Maguire-Shaw
———McTominay-Pogba———
Amad———-Bruno——Rashford
——————-Cavani———————

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Henderson
Wan-Bissaka Bailly Maguire Shaw
McTominay Pogba
---James----------Fernandes----------------
-----------------------------------
Rashford
--Cavani​

SplitzMagic

Let's not kid ourselves. Pogba would be transfer listed and put straight into the reserves if fergie was managing us now.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I’d say

Schmeichel
Parker Pallister Bruce Irwin
Kanchelskis Ince Robson Sharpe
McClair Hughes

was a pretty clear one, with Webb in for Robson because of all the injuries. Giggs slowly displaced Sharpe, and McClair went into rotation on the arrival of Cantona.

Schmeichel
Neville Johnsen Stam Irwin
Beckham Keane Butt Giggs
Cole Yorke

with Scholes almost there of course, and Johnsens injuries gave space to Berg mostly. Rotation became increasingly necessary with the growth of CL, but

Van der Sar
Neville Ferdinand Vidic Evra
Ronaldo Carrick Scholes Giggs
Tevez Rooney

was also a pretty clear preferred choice for a while there, thrown into a 4-3-3 in Europe.
Not sure what year the first one would be? Giggs was a staple in the side from 91/92...rotation was less back then of course but 93/94 was probably the closest we came to a first choice XI (though even the had the Sharpe /Kanchelskis switcheroo)

98/99 I don't think you can ever say Scholes or Butt were first XI over the other, played just as man games.

The last line up didn't even start the CL final!

Thats the thing with Fergie it was never really a first XI... It was a squad game to him, and whatever XI was best used to win that particular game.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Henderson
AWB Maguire Bailly Shaw
Matic McTominay
Greenwood Bruno Rashford
Cavani​

slored1

Good question.

Probably:
Henderson