What would happen if transfer fees got abolished?

Skills

Snitch
Say in this imaginary scenario, there are no transfer fees. Clubs aren't allowed to 'purchase' players from other clubs.

How would player recruitment work? What other system can you put in place? I'm guessing 'American style' trading won't work because of European employment regulations. You can't force a player to sign for another club through a trade.

So you have a scenario where players are only allowed to leave at the end of a contract.

How would the landscape of football change? I think player salary's would shoot up - I'm guessing the transfer fees in scenario B, those transfer fees would end up in the players back pockets as signing on fees.

Are clubs signing longer or shorter contracts? Higher risk/Reward? Do the players want to sign shorter contracts? What else would it impact? Are the smaller clubs screwed, or do they benefit because they can hold onto players for potentially a little longer on average?

Atze-Peng

Dortmund Fan
Higher Wages
Shorter Contracts
Clubs shitting players with money when their contract runs out.

Paul_Scholes18

I think contracts would probably be 2-3 years normally. Some players might want to move on so I can see younger players not wanting longer contracts. Older players though might rather stay at the same team with the security of earning decent wages.

The Urban Goose

Lots of people would withdraw from football due to the lack of money laundering opportunities.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
They would still be there, but instead of using bank accounts they would be using black suitcases in dark alleys.