What would make you change your opinion on Ole

jackal&hyde

My problem with Saf analogy is that it can be used for every failing manager. People even brought it up with Moyes. Maybe If Moyes got 6 years he would have been more succcesfull, we never know. Maybe if LVG got 6 years he would have been more succesfull, we don't know. Maybe if Rodgers had stayed 6 years at Liverpool he would have been more succesfull we don't know. You can use it literally for every manager who is struggling.

If you have to bring it up, at least do it only for managers who have proven elsewhere they are world class.

Every single big club in world changes managers frequently, it's not murder, but it's treated like it on here. If Ole meets the clubs target end of the season, then maybe he has deserved another one. If a far better manager is availble who suits our vision I don't know why we shouldn't go for it.
It depends on the state of the squad imo. If you are a Real Madrid and every summer you bring the best players in the World and have a squad full of World Class players and an established philosophy then it's reasonable to expect immediate results and good football from managers. It is very different when you embark on a major rebuild the way SAF, Klopp and now Ole and Lampard have done and are doing. You can't mix the 2 together or use prior success to decide if you give a manager time for the rebuild or not.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
It depends on the state of the squad imo. If you are a Real Madrid and every summer you bring the best players in the World and have a squad full of World Class players and an established philosophy then it's reasonable to expect immediate results and good football from managers. It is very different when you embark on a major rebuild the way SAF, Klopp and now Ole and Lampard have done and are doing. You can't mix the 2 together or use prior success to decide if you give a manager time for the rebuild or not.
Let's not lump Saf and Klopp together with Lampard and Ole.

LVG had to do a major rebuild as well. Mourinho had to shape his own squad as well. Unless you inherint a great squad with players in their prime every manager has to rebuild.

I get that people are high that we managed to beat Chelsea and are still in the race for what is now the top 5 despite having our worst point tally in 30 years. But If we go on a consistent winning run and show some good football on the pitch, I'm all for giving Ole more time, but I really don't think Ole is this genius in the transfer market. Everybody knew who Maguire was. Mourinho wanted him last season. We got him for a world record fee. It's not like when we got vidic or evra for 6 mil. Same with AWB. One of the most expensive right backs of all time. Bruno was not some hidden gem either, but I hope he is a succes here. What im saying is that this is obvious signings and difference between us and the smaller clubs is that we can afford them.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Yeah what? We beat a very bad Chelsea side and we were awful as well. You swear we won the league. We are still 7th where we should be comfortably in the champions league spots. Did you actually like our attacking play play today? We were still all over the place as usual with no system in place.

We still have drawn 8 and lost 8 all season and only won 10 out of 26 games.

One game isn't going to change my opinion of him. Is top four realistic after this win? I still think We won't be anywhere near it come the end of the season.
Almost as if 3 key players have been out injured.

jackal&hyde

Let's not lump Saf and Klopp together with Lampard and Ole.

LVG had to do a major rebuild as well. Mourinho had to shape his own squad as well. Unless you inherint a great squad with players in their prime every manager has to rebuild.

I get that people are high that we managed to beat Chelsea and are still in the race for what is now the top 5 despite having our worst point tally in 30 years. But If we go on a consistent winning run and show some good football on the pitch, I'm all for giving Ole more time, but I really don't think Ole is this genius in the transfer market. Everybody knew who Maguire was. Mourinho wanted him last season. We got him for a world record fee. It's not like when we got vidic or evra for 6 mil. Same with AWB. One of the most expensive right backs of all time. Bruno was not some hidden gem either, but I hope he is a succes here. What im saying is that this is obvious signings and difference between us and the smaller clubs is that we can afford them.
The job at hand is similar to what SAF and Klopp had to do, that is where the comparison comes from. LVG and Mourinho failed miserably in the rebuild and that's why we are where we are. Full of mediocre overpaid players and a few that didn't even want to be here but came for the paycheck.

In the signings department it's not just about their quality but about being a good judge of character. The 4 that we brought are spot on. Di Maria, Sanchez, Mkhitaryan, Lukaku etc..not so much.

Denis' cuff

Aye so much he hasn't shown since he has arrived, unfortunately him getting rid of the deadwood is making a lot of fans think he has the right vision and is the man to take us, which I agree needed to happen but he naively over did it, leaving him with a paper thin squad is also a red flag in itself.
ever occurred to you that he was told if we got rid, they’d be replaced and weren’t? It wouldn’t be the first time, going all the way back to Ronaldo.

you actually think Ole wants a paper thin squad full of newly promoted yoof to compete with city and Liverpool?

you think it hasn’t occurred to Ole that the squad needs strengthening, yet you are aware of it?

Never mind Poch (who has never won a thing) we need to plunder the depths of an Internet forum full of internet fans - not even real fans to replace the current manager. The last one needed sacking too... and the one before... and the one before that. Do you not see a pattern here? Who is still in place, making important decisions? We will very soon be at the point where nobody will want the job until this lot, owners, podgy-faced garden gnome finance expert and the idiot doing the transfer negotiations are out of the club.

Gehrman

The job at hand is similar to what SAF and Klopp had to do, that is where the comparison comes from. LVG and Mourinho failed miserably in the rebuild and that's why we are where we are. Full of mediocre overpaid players and a few that didn't even want to be here but came for the paycheck.

In the signings department it's not just about their quality but about being a good judge of character. The 4 that we brought are spot on. Di Maria, Sanchez, Mkhitaryan, Lukaku etc..not so much.
The Squad ole inherited was much better than what Klopp and Saf inherited. Man Utd were 21st when Saf took over!

Gehrman

ever occurred to you that he was told if we got rid, they’d be replaced and weren’t? It wouldn’t be the first time, going all the way back to Ronaldo.

you actually think Ole wants a paper thin squad full of newly promoted yoof to compete with city and Liverpool?

you think it hasn’t occurred to Ole that the squad needs strengthening, yet you are aware of it?

Never mind Poch (who has never won a thing) we need to plunder the depths of an Internet forum full of internet fans - not even real fans to replace the current manager. The last one needed sacking too... and the one before... and the one before that. Do you not see a pattern here? Who is still in place, making important decisions? We will very soon be at the point where nobody will want the job until this lot, owners, podgy-faced garden gnome finance expert and the idiot doing the transfer negotiations are out of the club.
Do you think Roy Hogdson is a better manager than Poch because he won the EL with Fulham? Or maybe we should take the recordholder of Norwegian league titles over Ole?

OleTheGreat

Going by what's happening on the pitch there terrible coaches and Ole is a terrible manager. Ed does not influence their style on the pitch so it's not all down to him. I think Sir Alex just made MP look good.
Look, no coach can make an ordinary player a world class player. They can only improve the players with great potential. We don't many of such in our midfield bar Pogba, Bruno.

Denis' cuff

The Squad ole inherited was much better than what Klopp and Saf inherited. Man Utd were 21st when Saf took over!

Klopp inherited a decent side who were one lovely slip away from being title winners

Fergie inherited plenty of decent players. The problem was that Ron had turned the place into a social club.

The club that Ole inherited was totally disfunctional from top to bottom and still is, largely, albeit slowly improving.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He said ‘similar’ not the same situation.

SAF had a major rebuild in task but the majority of fans wanted him gone after the 5-1 at Maine Rd. That was 4 years in IIRC.He came from a background of unprecedented success in Scotland and winning the ECWC. Huge expectation on him because of that.

I don’t know what would convince me about Ole but I will add that he needs to move forward without players as divisive as Pogba, Sanchez etc. Start showing some balls, be a presence on the touch line instead of sitting on his arse. Show us a consistent tactic.And above all get these players to start winning games.

Gehrman

Klopp inherited a decent side who were one lovely slip away from being title winners

Fergie inherited plenty of decent players. The problem was that Ron had turned the place into a social club.

The club that Ole inherited was totally disfunctional from top to bottom and still is, largely, albeit slowly improving.
Klopp did not inherit Suarez, Sterling or Gerrard who were the players that made that team challenge for the title.

Ole inherited a dysfunctional and demoralized squad that was thrown under the bus by Mounrinho, but it finished runners up in the league the season before and runners up in Fa Cup, the season before with the excactly same players + Fred and Dalot. So no it's not similar to what Fergie or Klopp inherited. Beneteke is not equal to Martial, Rasford and Lukkaku. Add in Pogba, Herrera, Mcsauce and De Gea there was some good players when he took over. The only quality player in that Liverpool team was Coutinho.

SteveW

Considering that he has signed Maguire, Fernandes, AWB and James - I would gladly let him spend Another £200 million, because unlike our previous managers - they look like Money well spent. Sure Maguire was a bit expensive - but he is by far the best central defender we have had since Ferdinand/Vidic.
Absolutely. No point in pretending Pep, Poch, Klopp etc didn't have to do the same to build their teams. Klopp at 18 has made the fewest signings. 18!!! According to the caf logic he should just have won with the ones he inherited.

Recruitment is a huge part of management. Arguably the part that makes the biggest difference to the teams success. You need good players. Ole has been excellent at it so far. But 4 signings is obviously not enough to bridge the gap. He needs to be backed properly.

Pearl's a minger

Do you think Roy Hogdson is a better manager than Poch because he won the EL with Fulham? Or maybe we should take the recordholder of Norwegian league titles over Ole?
Pretty sure Hodgson didn't win the europa league at Fulham

jackal&hyde

Man Utd finished 3ed, 3ed, 4th, 4th, 4th in the seasons prior to SAF. Then with SAF finished 11th, 2ed, 11th, 13th before going on the upwards trajectory that didn't stop for decades. He "underperformed" badly compared to previous seasons because he was doing a rebuild from ground up.

Liverpool finished 2ed, 6th before Klopp and then 8th, 4th, 4th before finding consistency and the rest is history.

Rebuilding takes time no matter who you are. If we'll be successful under Ole or not we can't know, but time was always going to be needed given how badly we were managed under previous managers in player recruitment. Nothing has changed this season as far as i'm concerned and sacking Ole would be a major knee jerk reaction from the board. Don't know if any other manager would want to take the job knowing that they will be judged 6 months to a year in when the job is at minimum 2 years or 3.

crossy1686

career ending
Absolutely. No point in pretending Pep, Poch, Klopp etc didn't have to do the same to build their teams. Klopp at 18 has made the fewest signings. 18!!! According to the caf logic he should just have won with the ones he inherited.

Recruitment is a huge part of management. Arguably the part that makes the biggest difference to the teams success. You need good players. Ole has been excellent at it so far. But 4 signings is obviously not enough to bridge the gap. He needs to be backed properly.
If we sign Grealish, Sancho and Maddison in the summer this season will quickly be forgotten and the rebuild will be in full swing. The people will re-write history and talk about how Solskjaer finished 5th/4th in his first season and the rest is history.

Fosu-Mens

I would, in theory, change my mind if OGS (and coaches) made the team play a more progressive (and relevant) type of football and brought in players that suited this. We are not going anywhere with our current style of play, nor is it likely that OGS plays this way due to how limited some of our players are.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Sums it up quite well. In the 1989/90 season almost everybody wanted Ferguson gone - but its a question about what to consider early in his United-career. His first season in charge was brilliant - but as you Point out, it all fell to pieces when Ferguson kicked out the old experinced players and replaced them with Ince, Pallister, Phelan and Wallace (Webb was injured)

What a lot of people don't remember is that Ferguson basically sold his entire squad from when he first took charge and replaced them with new players and youngsters:

He kept Robson, Gary Walsh and a young Clayton Blackmore - I think ever other player who started the 1986/87 season was gone when the 1989/90-season started. So in 2.5 years he let 25 or so players leave the club because they weren't good enough, too old, too disturbing to the rest of the squad or too injury-ridden.

And he replaced them with strong characters, strong leaders and players who never were injured - Bruce (leader/never injured), Ince (almost arrogantly confident), Phelan (leader/never injured), Anderson (leader/never injured), McClair (never injured), Hughes (leader/never injured), Irwin (reliable/never injured), Keane (leader/never injured)

You can see that OGS i trying to copy this - by signing Maguire, Fernandes (leaders who never are injured - strong personalities).
And at the same time, also getting rid of 8 post Mourinho squad players and with more to go. Its not OGS's fault that he inherited a squad put together by 3 previous managers.

Right now, we are the very definition of a transition team, both in squad composition as well as culture, playing style and identity. And guess what: just like SAF, the results and performances are like a yo-yo.

Not sure what else to realistically expect. Unless one is an instant gratification addict or thinks our club is entitled to success.

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He didn’t win the EL with Fulham. They lost in the final

Gehrman

He didn’t win the EL with Fulham. They lost in the final
My bad, I thought he did, but I think you got my point. There's countless of examples of managers who's won the odd cup but for good reasons are not courted by the biggest clubs in the world.

jackal&hyde

If we sign Grealish, Sancho and Maddison in the summer this season will quickly be forgotten and the rebuild will be in full swing. The people will re-write history and talk about how Solskjaer finished 5th/4th in his first season and the rest is history.
And at the same time, also getting rid of 8 post Mourinho players with more to go. Its not OGS's fault that he inherited a squad put together by 3 previous managers.

Right now, we are the very definition of a transition team, both in squad composition as well as culture, playing style and identity. And guess what: just like SAF, the results and performances are like a yo-yo.

Not sure what else to realistically expect. Unless one is an instant gratification addict or thinks our club is entitled to success.
This. There are also a lot of good signs that are willingly ignored by some. Like the improvement in key players like Rashford, Fred, Greenwood, Williams, even Matic and Martial will probably have his most prolific season ever for United; the defense is much more solid then previous years and the counter attack is one of the best in the league; results vs the top 6 have been great showing tactical prowess to stop this "superior" managers with much more established teams.

Some just want to focus on the negatives all the time and can't appreciate the good work that is being done until everything falls in to place and we win the title. This i can understand actually, but some idiots go way over the top and throw some really disgusting insults at the manager that just makes you think if they are even United fans or just teens supporting Liverpool and are here for some trolling.

Gehrman

Man Utd finished 3ed, 3ed, 4th, 4th, 4th in the seasons prior to SAF. Then with SAF finished 11th, 2ed, 11th, 13th before going on the upwards trajectory that didn't stop for decades. He "underperformed" badly compared to previous seasons because he was doing a rebuild from ground up.

Liverpool finished 2ed, 6th before Klopp and then 8th, 4th, 4th before finding consistency and the rest is history.

Rebuilding takes time no matter who you are. If we'll be successful under Ole or not we can't know, but time was always going to be needed given how badly we were managed under previous managers in player recruitment. Nothing has changed this season as far as i'm concerned and sacking Ole would be a major knee jerk reaction from the board. Don't know if any other manager would want to take the job knowing that they will be judged 6 months to a year in when the job is at minimum 2 years or 3.
Yeah, but first of all, Liverpool sacked Rodgers and signed Klopp. They could have given Rodgers more time, because you say it takes time no matter who you are, but they didn't, because they didn't want to pass up the oppourtunity to sign one of the very best managers in the world who had a record of overachieving and improving players.

And SAF really is the exception rather than rule. Like I said, any failing manager in the world can say that it took Saf 6 years to win the title, so why shouldn't I get 6 years? All the big clubs routinely change managers when they fail, but I don't see that stopping great managers from going there.

Raineri won the league with Leicester. A historic achievement. And was sacked the next season for underperforming.

I'm not in the camp who thinks that Ole is the worst manager in the league, but overall his record in the PL is terrible, so there is not much to go by apart from his 2 norwegian league titles with Molde many years ago.

jackal&hyde

Yeah, but first of all, Liverpool sacked Rodgers and signed Klopp. They could have given Rodgers more time, because you say it takes time no matter who you are, but they didn't, because they didn't want to pass up the oppourtunity to sign one of the very best managers in the world who had a record of overachieving and improving players.

And SAF really is the exception rather than rule. Like I said, any failing manager in the world can say that it took Saf 6 years to win the title, so why shouldn't I get 6 years? All the big clubs routinely change managers when they fail, but I don't see that stopping great managers from going there.

Raineri won the league with Leicester. A historic achievement. And was sacked the next season for underperforming.

I'm not in the camp who thinks that Ole is the worst manager in the league, but overall his record in the PL is terrible, so there is not much to go by apart from his 2 norwegian league titles with Molde many years ago.
There are arguments on both sides. It will be somewhat settled by the end of next season and i'm in the camp that thinks that with the replacement of Lingard and Pereira with quality AMs, a RW and some back up in other positions would transform this team in the areas we struggle the most, braking down low blocks. I actually expect even this season to see significant improvement in this area with Bruno on board.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Why do folk keep saying 21st, it was 19th

18) Leicester C on 15 points(13 games)
19) Man Utd on -----13 (13)
20) Chelsea on -----13(13)
21) Man City on -----9(13)
22) Newcastle on -- 9(13)

And it's debatable inherited a better squad than SAF

El Zoido

No chance with this fanbase, seen the same old story for years. Ole ain’t no SAF, but for all the people saying “it was different because he won with Aberdeen”, like that makes a difference. SAF would have been hounded out of a job within two seasons in this day and age.

Keeping Ole is risk free right now, we’re not in decline. In fact we’re on a good path despite inconsistencies. Squad harmony is good, everyone at the club is pulling in the right direction. When Ole leaves, he’ll leave a good squad for whoever comes in. Compared to Jose, who was tearing the club down around him, he had to go before more damage was done. You can’t say the same about Ole, he’s doing fine with a very difficult rebuild. There’s very little risk in keeping him on.

Gehrman

Why do folk keep saying 21st, it was 19th

18) Leicester C on 15 points(13 games)
19) Man Utd on -----13 (13)
20) Chelsea on -----13(13)
21) Man City on -----9(13)
22) Newcastle on -- 9(13)

And it's debatable inherited a better squad than SAF
I just used wiki for reference either you got it right or they got it wrong

"Ferguson was appointed manager at Old Trafford on 6 November 1986. He was initially worried that many of the players, such as Norman Whiteside, Paul McGrath and Bryan Robson were drinking too much and was "depressed" by their level of fitness, but he managed to increase the players' discipline and United climbed up the table to finish the season in 11th place, having been 21st (second from bottom) when he took over "

Gehrman

No chance with this fanbase, seen the same old story for years. Ole ain’t no SAF, but for all the people saying “it was different because he won with Aberdeen”, like that makes a difference. SAF would have been hounded out of a job within two seasons in this day and age.

Keeping Ole is risk free right now, we’re not in decline. In fact we’re on a good path despite inconsistencies. Squad harmony is good, everyone at the club is pulling in the right direction. When Ole leaves, he’ll leave a good squad for whoever comes in. Compared to Jose, who was tearing the club down around him, he had to go before more damage was done. You can’t say the same about Ole, he’s doing fine with a very difficult rebuild. There’s very little risk in keeping him on.
Do you think Moyes deserved more time? He's been going on about that ever since? Apparently past achievements don't matter, so should we just have given Moyes more time?

jackal&hyde

Agree with all of that. SAF would have been sacked 3 times over in todays game and Klopp was "Flopp" for many for 2 or 3 years, not that they would admit it now of course. Plus, there isn't any obvious World Class manager available imo. Had Pep been out of a job i'd be tempted but for Poch or Alegri, no thanks. Improve the squad in the summer and we'l improve as a team, i'm sure of it.

jackal&hyde

Do you think Moyes deserved more time? He's been going on about that ever since? Apparently past achievements don't matter, so should we just have given Moyes more time?
No because players under him got worse on an individual level while under Ole many of them got better and because Moyes was an absolute calamity in the transfer market while Ole has been good. He also finished 7th with the champions of England and given what we've heard from the players under him at the time he had lost the dressing room, there is no coming back from that.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Stop using this as some kind of example or benchmark? It was historic because it happens once in a generation. Not mush else can be gleaned from it in terms of relativity or learning.

SAF is also not an exception at all, in terms of teams progressing at a gradual and incremental level. That's the reason people use the start of his tenure as a benchmark for a team like ours, currently in dramatic transition.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Moyes inherited a champion, experienced and unified team. OGS didn't.

If you are going to use comparison as a tool for criticism, at least ensure situations are comparable.

Doracle

Pretty sure we were 19th when SAF took over and dropped to 21st when we lost his first match in charge.

The team in 1986 was probably stronger on paper - it had been good enough to look unstoppable for half a season the year before. However, there were obvious issues with culture that needed sorting out.

Gehrman

Stop using this as some kind of example or benchmark? It was historic because it happens once in a generation. Not mush else can be gleaned from it in terms of relativity or learning.

SAF is also not an exception at all, in terms of teams progressing at a gradual and incremental level. That's the reason people use the start of his tenure as a benchmark for a team like ours, currently in dramatic transition.
Who is the comparison to SAF? No one has had a career like his.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I just used wiki for reference either you got it right or they got it wrong

"Ferguson was appointed manager at Old Trafford on 6 November 1986. He was initially worried that many of the players, such as Norman Whiteside, Paul McGrath and Bryan Robson were drinking too much and was "depressed" by their level of fitness, but he managed to increase the players' discipline and United climbed up the table to finish the season in 11th place, having been 21st (second from bottom) when he took over "
I've actually got the Oxford United programme from 08/11/86 in my hand and i'm going off their printed table, it depends when the programme was printed but it includes results up to the 01/11/86, Chelsea may have played midweek and knocked us down to 20th by getting a point, but either City or Newcastle would have had to play twice that midweek and won both to knock us down to 21st, highly unlikely methinks

Gehrman

Agree with all of that. SAF would have been sacked 3 times over in todays game and Klopp was "Flopp" for many for 2 or 3 years, not that they would admit it now of course. Plus, there isn't any obvious World Class manager available imo. Had Pep been out of a job i'd be tempted but for Poch or Alegri, no thanks. Improve the squad in the summer and we'l improve as a team, i'm sure of it.
Klopp has only improved Liverpool from season to season. I cant say why anyone uses him as an example of someone who should be sacked.

El Zoido

No because Moyes lost the dressing room after two months, the players didn’t respect him and his football was terrible. This is totally different to Ole, who has full backing of the players and is attempting to implement a more progressive style of football, playing out from the back and using wide fullbacks in a similar style as Liverpool. It’s a totally different situation, Moyes was grim and did everything wrong.

Ole has made mistakes (and is clearly learning from them), but he’s got a unified squad and signs of brilliance have been there. He’s improved Fred immensely, Rashford and Martial are having their best seasons ever, McT has developed really well, he’s brought in youngsters successfully (Williams and Greenwood). There are some solid positives to what he’s done despite some poor results and performances. Moyes did nothing right, ever. He was an embarrassment to himself and to the club.

jackal&hyde

Klopp has only improved Liverpool from season to season. I cant say why anyone uses him as an example of someone who should be sacked.
He shouldn't have obviously. But neither should Ole until we have 2 full seasons to compare improvement or lack there of.

SteveW

My bad, I thought he did, but I think you got my point. There's countless of examples of managers who's won the odd cup but for good reasons are not courted by the biggest clubs in the world.
What I find unusual is the desire to get rid of a hungry manager who has won trophies for one who's never won anything and literally said trophies are just a way to boost your ego.

I know which attitude is suited to Manchester United and which one isn't.