What would you prefer?

Walters_19_MuFc

Was watching a video with Wes Brown and David May the other day, and the two believe we need two attacking players - a winger and striker. May believed we should push for Grealish and Haaland, which I personally dont think is realistic, but it would definately be a massive statement from the club.

Anyway, with Cavani yet to commit to a new deal and the right wing spot needing to be addressed for the last few seasons, it could be that Ole does push for a winger and striker. However, it looks like we only have the funds to splash out on one.

My question is, if you were Ole and only had funds to splash out on one position would you:

1. Splash out on a striker and get a budget right winger

2. Splash out on a winger and get a budget striker

Dr. StrangeHate

Was watching a video with Wes Brown and David May the other day, and the two believe we need two attacking players - a winger and striker. May believed we should push for Grealish and Haaland, which I personally dont think is realistic, but it would definately be a massive statement from the club.

Anyway, with Cavani yet to commit to a new deal and the right wing spot needing to be addressed for the last few seasons, it could be that Ole does push for a winger and striker. However, it looks like we only have the funds to splash out on one.

My question is, if you were Ole and only had funds to splash out on one position would you:

1. Splash out on a striker and get a budget right winger

2. Splash out on a winger and get a budget striker
Splash out on Halaand and get a budget right winger; as there is no standout right winger but there is a standout striker in Halaand.

AgentSmith

Outside of Kane and Haaland it’s difficult to to find a good CF candidate. Someone cheap like Andre Silva is a risk in terms of adaptability and someone like DCL would be far too expensive for the talent you’re getting. I think most of the options fall into either of those two categories.

If we could get one of the big two I’d be happy spanking the budget on them but if we can’t the drop off is such that I’d rather give Greenwood a go and get the best RW available while investing the remaining funds elsewhere (CB, CDM).

Last edited:

RUCK4444

Splash out on Halaand and get a budget right winger; because there is no standout available right winger but there is a standout striker in Halaand.
This. Elite level strikers are few and far between, if we don’t get Haaland who are we realistically going after that will improve our attack?

We should put everything into going after Haaland and if he turns us down then grab Sancho for the wing with a backup option at Striker instead of Haaland. OR go all in on Kane but Levy and Kane’s injuries mean I can’t be arsed with that saga really.

Abraxas

I can't see how we can afford Haaland.

However, as much as people quite rightly identify that the options are limited, or that there are significant risks or potential quality issues with certain signings...the reality is we will have to sign a striker this summer when Cavani leaves. Even if it's another short-term signing. We've struggled with that position WITH Cavani so what is the other option, pray that Martial stays fit all year and performs, something which he has never consistently managed throughout his club or international career?

For a club that will be expected to progress beyond what is looking to be a reasonable season, it would be pretty outrageous to expect the manager to produce miracles with arguably no natural strikers at all.

Right wing is slightly different in that Greenwood is pretty good there, and we have a real talent in Amad, who is probably not ready, but he is about the squad. Ideally we'd have a quality addition but it is by no means as bad as going into another season without more competition up front. We are quite a left wing orientated side anyway, which is partly down to lack of quality down the right, and while a big signing may redress the balance slightly, there's no getting away from the fact Shaw is far better than AWB.

Last edited:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Goals win games. Haaland could easily be worth 12 points to this team. Having said that, I also believe we'd be a lot better with a top class right sided attacker, so I don't care too much which position as long as the player has the right attitude

bsCallout

Neither.

Haaland and a cheap CB or CDM. It should have been that lad that went Brighton.

Walters_19_MuFc

Neither.

Haaland and a cheap CB or CDM. It should have been that lad that went Brighton.
Guess he wasnt happy with the contract regards minutes.

It does seem that Ole wants a young CM and CB, which will possibly allow him to push for top quality attacking positions.

ciflood

I don't think we can afford Haaland.

That being said, if money wasn't an issue, I would rather see him come in than a top class right winger. Mase has shown glimpses of very good play off the right this season (and notably towards the back end of last season), and with Amad coming through, we should invest in Haaland.

His goals would, I believe, take us to the next level to seriously challenge again in the league and in Europe. I don't think a Sancho or Grealish would have the same transformative impact on the team.

Andersons Dietician

Personally I think the winger or a wide creative player is more important to us right now as we really do struggle to create anything decent. However if Haaland was on the move this summer and there is the money to get him then you simply can’t risk missing out on him.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Depends on the defensive signing- whether we're signing a DM or CB.

If it's a DM - I'd prefer a striker, as in that case we can field a creative CM to lessen the burden on Bruno for chance creation.

If we're signing a CB, then I'd prefer a RW

Butty19

Right winger for me. We’ve needed one for years (since Nani was wrongly moved on) and it would give us so much more balance in attack. It would also take pressure off AWB in terms of getting forward and creating. We can muddle through another year without another striker especially if Greenwood continues to grow. Plus we have some good young forwards coming through. I’d prioritise RW, CB and DM over a ST.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Can’t see us signing Haaland, think we’ll try and go for Sancho though. Grealish would be amazing but I think he’ll stay at Villa.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Who? And what contract mentions minutes?
Presume he's talking about the Ecuadorian Caicedo, who's, emmh, yet to play for Brightons first team and looked pretty average against our u23 a few weeks ago.

Andersons Dietician

Presume he's talking about the Ecuadorian Caicedo, who's, emmh, yet to play for Brightons first team and looked pretty average against our u23 a few weeks ago.
I was thinking Bissouma, but then that was 2018 and I don’t recall any stories about us being in for him. Maybe your right but then like you said, Caicedo yet to play and don’t recall us ever getting in to contract talks and people coming out and saying we were never even interested.

MU655

Haaland is not an option based on his comments. He has said in the past he wants to succeed in all the top leagues in his career (so, there is going to be no long term commitment). I think he will choose the teams that give him the best chance of winning a title. And that is City. I still think even Liverpool would be seen as a more attractive option, also, so long as Klopp stays.

I actually think we could end up fourth in the pile in the PL. With Tuchel, I think Chelsea would be ahead of us also, so long as they secure top four. He has already shown himself as a a successful manager, so it would make more sense for Haaland.

Overall, I don't think anyone should put any stock into getting him.

Grealish would be a greats signing, but only if we moved to playing with two Attacking midfielders. He would provide a lot of creativity, but we would still need a striker.

As to the choice, it depends on who you can get. If you could get Kane, then it would be splash out on the striker. At the moment, I am struggling to think of any great right wingers I would say, yes, spend loads of money.

Walters_19_MuFc

A theory that doesn’t really fit with him getting zero minutes for Brighton so far.
Not sure why you're analysisng such a small issue so much.

Fact is, Caicedo, as a young player, has look at the situation (if were ever in for him) and he's obviously felt he has a better chance of breaking into the first team at Brighton as opposed to United.

He was on the bench the other day against us. Granted, he didnt come on, I can almost guarantee that had he joined us, he wouldnt have even made the bench.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Fact is, Caicedo, as a young player, has look at the situation (if were ever in for him) and he's obviously felt he has a better chance of breaking into the first team at Brighton as opposed to United.

He was on the bench the other day against us. Granted, he didnt come on, I can almost guarantee that had he joined us, he wouldnt have even made the bench.
I was just curious. It was an odd comment. A contractual obligation to provide minutes. Maybe he did join Brighton because he thought he’d get more games. That’s his prerogative. Seriously doubt this was in his contract though.

Drz

Haaland no thanks, given Mino.
So anything else I guess.

Walters_19_MuFc

I was just curious. It was an odd comment. A contractual obligation to provide minutes. Maybe he did join Brighton because he thought he’d get more games. That’s his prerogative. Seriously doubt this was in his contract though.
An odd comment that young players look at contracts and what type of role they will play in the team?

We had a similar situation with Pogba all those years back.

Sir Alex said he wouldnt be ready until about 20, whereas Juventus were able to give him minutes more or less from the get go.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
This team would be utterly fecked if Rashford suffered an injury that ruled him out for a prolonged period of a season and considering the wear and tear on him at such a young age plus the non-stop nature of the past couple of seasons plus the Euros , its not improbable either. A winger is a must buy ahead of the upcoming season.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
An odd comment that young players look at contracts and what type of role they will play in the team?

We had a similar situation with Pogba all those years back.

Sir Alex said he wouldnt be ready until about 20, whereas Juventus were able to give him minutes more or less from the get go.
Contracts don’t tell young players what role they will play in the team (or how many minutes) That would be an insane way to run a football club. At a stretch an established star might get some kind of commitment re minimal games but that would be unusual. Making the same commitment to an unproven 20 year old would be utter madness.

Zen86

Tough choice, but probably a proper CF. We have options on the RW and Amad is one to keep an eye on as well.

However, I don't particularly want us to sign Haaland, but I would very much like Grealish. I guess it depends on who is available.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Get Aguero to do a Figo leaving City with a statue of one of our players outside their ground.

Spend all of the money on a right winger.

jackal&hyde

Sancho and we have a class RW/LW after 10 years it feels. Rashford is alone in being a big threat from those areas and is already overplayed imo. This is what we will do I feel as Ole is already playing down the enthusiasm on Diallo whenever asked; he is not ready and the manager wants a winger. For the center, like them or not we do have Martial, Cavani and Greenwood. If Cavani goes then find a cheaper option. Martial scored 24 goals last season and we must hope he can do it again.

Or Mbappe as he is very good across the front 3.

SATA

Get Sancho and play Mason as number 9. The striker's fund i hope we can spend it on a midfielder that is an upgrade to Fred and Matic

RedDevilzFox

Is this even a serious question? Goals cure all problems, if there is a 25 league goals / season striker out there, we need to go for him.

Walters_19_MuFc

This team would be utterly fecked if Rashford suffered an injury that ruled him out for a prolonged period of a season and considering the wear and tear on him at such a young age plus the non-stop nature of the past couple of seasons plus the Euros , its not improbable either. A winger is a must buy ahead of the upcoming season.
True, although if we buy a striker, we could see Martial being used on the wing a lot more.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

I thought the deal with Caciedo was pulled because of third party ownership (maybe a large sell on clause) or something like that. Brighton had dealt with his club before. I’d say he’s still on our radar and wouldn’t cost the world if he comes good

Regarding the OP I’m actually going off Haaland because of the agent. I don’t want the same thing to happen here the season after next. Mino is insufferable acting like Pogba is prime Roy Keane for the last few years, imagine what he’d be like with the top scorer in the league....

Sancho seems like a good lad and he’s the creative we need. Sancho and Rice and keeping Cavani for one more year would be a very productive window. Get Ings or Toney on the cheap if Cavani is definitely leaving. We are going to have to go big for the striker again at some stage but beyond Haaland and Martinez I don’t really see anyone else coming in and taking us up a level. A good solid poacher or target man will tide us over for now.

Last edited:

Mike Smalling

Top quality striker. We need someone that can both score the 'easy' goals, and who has strong link-up play to also set up our wide forwards. Basically, a Harry Kane type forward would be great, and go a long way towards solving our attacking problems.

This is assuming we keep our current key players. If we lose Pogba, it would be essential to add a CM with some creativity.

Vida_15

Bringing in a world class winger first, then a striker the following year would be the way I would build the squad. I feel like it's the better option to maintain balance and build chemistry in the squad, which we finally seem to be doing.

Ideally Cavani stays fit from here on in, sticks around for one more year and rotates with Greenwood for the plan to work best.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Haaland is not an option based on his comments. He has said in the past he wants to succeed in all the top leagues in his career (so, there is going to be no long term commitment). I think he will choose the teams that give him the best chance of winning a title. And that is City. I still think even Liverpool would be seen as a more attractive option, also, so long as Klopp stays.

I actually think we could end up fourth in the pile in the PL. With Tuchel, I think Chelsea would be ahead of us also, so long as they secure top four. He has already shown himself as a a successful manager, so it would make more sense for Haaland.

Grealish would be a greats signing, but only if we moved to playing with two Attacking midfielders. He would provide a lot of creativity, but we would still need a striker.

As to the choice, it depends on who you can get. If you could get Kane, then it would be splash out on the striker. At the moment, I am struggling to think of any great right wingers I would say, yes, spend loads of money.
Not sure how Liverpool are seen as the more attractive option.

Kane is coming up to 28. We'd get ripped by Levy and have no onsale value. Definitely not for me.

Sad, but true.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
  1. Sign Sancho
  2. Make Greenwood striker
  3. Rotate Martial
  4. Either extend Cavani for added depth or sign someone like that for an experienced goalscorer/added depth
Then rotate Rashford/Sancho/James/Amad as the wingers with Greenwood occasionally there if needed.

Also in terms of realism and ignoring that IMO Sancho is most suited to us and our current needs than any player around. Haaland and Grealish are both unrealistic price wise, with Grealish being a weird signing from a profile/our need perspective.