Whatever happens we have a nest of vipers in the dressing room

Oranges038

There will always be diversions of opinion behind closed doors, but present in that dressing room environment are guys like Bailly, DVB, Henderson, Telles, Dalot, Lingard who are wasting precious years of their career while the likes of Maguire & McTominay stink out the place and Ole picks them no matter what.
Yeap, when you have a team that's playing poorly but the guys that are really playing shite play regardless and others never get a chance. A certain amount of apathy and dissent will build amongst those not getting a chance and that will feed into every aspect of their time at training and in games.

Devil may care

Ole has a whole crew of propaganda buddies in the media, the players need to protect themselves as much more of this and we won't be playing CL football next season.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Joking aside though, number one criteria for a new manager should be assurances and a plan from him on how he can best utilise the existing squad. None of this bullshit allowing a manger a tonne of new players & a clear out.
If a manager says he needs a tonne of money, time and a clear out, he’s the wrong guy.
Tuchel has proven if we didn’t know already that good coaching and structure alone can massively improve a squad.
Yep. This is my main concern with Conte, as it’s these issues which have led him to repeatedly walk out on clubs.

Having said that, every incoming manager will want to recruit at least one, but probably two central midfielders, along with a right-back. That’s the minimum recruitment next summer, whoever is in charge.

Then there are certain managers who will also look to bring in a new GK and possibly CB based on the type of build up they envision.

Back To Madeira

There are vipers in every football dressing room in the world, and especially in every successful dressing room. They are, by the nature of their jobs, highly competitive men looking to advance themselves as much as the team.

We all need to read the following excerpt from Evra's book. In the title-winning team that Moyes took over, some players just did not respect him (read the excerpt to know why!) and actively tried to get him into trouble. When you have world-class players and an average manager, it is bound to happen.

For the United job, you need a big enough personality. Ole is not one; he is just an ex-player who has no standing in the game as a manager. We need to hire and fire managers until we find the right man, while demanding standards from them all the time. It works for other big clubs, especially Chelsea. We, along with Arsenal, are the only big club in the world that indulges the idea of "re-build" so much. Look where that got them.

Anyway, here's the excerpt:

The problems with David Moyes started soon after he’d taken over in pre-season 2013. David was really nice with everyone as he tried to settle into the job as Manchester United manager, but everything he did was compared to how things had been under Sir Alex Ferguson.

Even the slightest change would start players griping about how this wasn’t what the old boss would have had us doing. In Sydney, during a warm-up tour, David suggested that we should do some stretching on Bondi Beach near the hotel.

He wanted the players to relax, to get out of the prison that hotels can become. United’s own security, who travelled with the team, suggested that it wasn’t the best idea because we’d instantly be recognised. David just replied that he’d been to the beach with Everton and that there were no problems. “Yes, but you’re at Man United,” one of the security team pointed out.

So we went to Bondi, and started to stretch on the beach. Within five minutes, about 50 people started running towards us as word spread. Security, who were furious as the situation began to spiral out of control, tried to stop fans who were barging right into the session, but they had no chance — Man United were training right in front of people in a public place. Mounted police arrived to restore some order. It was a shambles and we had to leave for everyone’s safety.

There was every reason, however, to be optimistic for the new season but by late September, for the first time in my stay at United, we were sixth and seventh in the table. The fear other teams had of us disappeared in a few short months. Old Trafford had simply stopped being a fortress. You only had to look at David’s face to see the pressure he was under.

But the way he dealt with it and us was a big mistake. In the dressing room before one game, he said, “Guys, you’ve won everything here, you have to show me the way to win. I have never won the league, you have to show me how to do it.” I could see what David was trying to do by making the players feel responsible, but Ferguson would never have asked his players how to win a game. He would have told us how to do it.

Some players used that against him because they thought they were now in charge. Players who’d accepted being on the bench under Ferguson would complain if they were on the bench under Moyes. That made a very hard job even harder.

I remember one time when the left back Alex Büttner had a massive plate of chips in the hotel before a game, which the manager objected to and banned. Chips aren’t the best food for a professional athlete so I can understand that, and David had a point, but the story appeared in a newspaper two days later.

David was slaughtered in the media for making changes like that and he reacted by letting players eat chips again. The players knew they were in charge, and there was some sort of incident every day, always an unhappy player. Players became cruel and joked that Bebé had won more medals than Moyes.

Guys, we have to take some responsibility,” I said in training after weeks of this negativity. “We have to give the guy a chance.”

How can you kiss his arse when he tried to sign someone in your position?” one came back at me. “He’s tried to sign every fecking left back in the world.”

I’d gone to talk to David after our drubbing at City in September, where Sergio Agüero had run riot. I gave it to him straight, “There’s something wrong here, boss. The dressing room is not happy and I’ve not seen that in my time here before.” David admitted that he wasn’t the best communicator with the players, but told me that I should focus on my own game as I was playing well. What was a big issue in my mind didn’t seem to worry the manager.

As the situation deteriorated I decided to text Ferguson to see if I could talk to him at his home. Cathy Ferguson made me a nice cup of tea. “Boss, you have to help David,” I told Ferguson. “Patrice, I appreciate your concern and I’ll try and speak to him, but I’ve given him the biggest chance of his life and I think it’s fair that I keep a distance and let him do his job.”

We lost at home to West Brom at the end of September, a humiliating result for a team who had won the league five months earlier. I wasn’t alone in thinking David had made a mistake by getting rid of Ferguson’s three main coaches, Mick Phelan — a real football coach who held enjoyable training sessions — René Meulensteen and Eric Steele.

In February 2014, we lost 2-0 at Olympiacos in the Champions League. Our performance was dreadful. As I got back on to the team plane, I walked past David Moyes’s father sitting at the front. I felt for him, he should have been proud to see his son managing Manchester United in a big European game, but the defeat overtook everything.

I expected the players to be distraught on that plane; instead they were laughing around and playing video games, which admittedly was the normal thing to do on the way back home, but I didn’t feel it was the right thing to do after a humiliating defeat in Greece. The players had decided that the manager, not them, was the problem.

Again, I went to see David and told him that I was going to call a players’ meeting because the season was turning into a disaster. “I’m telling you because I don’t want you thinking that I’ve gone behind your back,” I explained. “Do it, Pat, that’s fine.” David was really down and getting criticism from everywhere. He needed support from the people who could help him, the players.

We held that meeting at Carrington and everyone aired their opinions. The players admitted that they weren’t performing to their abilities but that they didn’t have full faith in the manager. Too many of them blamed the manager.

We won away at West Brom in the first game after Olympiacos, but then we lost 3-0 at home to Liverpool, a disastrous result. David called a meeting of the defenders the following day. Nemanja Vidic was coming back from injury and it was common knowledge that he was leaving for Inter Milan at the end of the season.

David went through all the defensive players and picked out Nemanja and Phil Jones for criticism for their positioning. Suddenly, Nemanja started swearing in Serbian. “Sorry, do you have a problem?” David asked a visibly emotional Nemanja. “We have to defend one against one, but Rafael and Patrice are always high, they think they are strikers, they need to stay back.”

I disputed that, shouting, “You have to take your responsibility, Nemanja!” We stood up and argued, unable to hear each other above each other’s shouts. We started to square up and then I pushed him. David was going mad, telling me to calm down.

David’s assistants were now keeping us apart as I shouted at Nemanja, “I’ll wait for you after training.” It escalated in no time. My plan was to wait for Nemanja and fight him after training because David’s assistants wouldn’t let me get near him at the club. I would see him in the car park and we could fight there and then, man to man.

As I was thinking my plan through, one of the coaches told me that the manager wanted to see me in his office. David was shocked — I don’t think he’d seen two players fight like that before. I told the manager that I was sorry, that I shouldn’t have pushed Nemanja. “Where did that strength come from, Pat?” he replied, surprised and laughing. “But seriously, you cannot fall out with Nemanja like that.” “I know,” I replied.

I was still really angry, though, and went back home and planned how I was going to punch Vida the next day. I’d barely calmed down the next morning when I arrived at training and changed, but I didn’t see Vida all day. David told me not to do anything stupid and I promised him that I wouldn’t.

On Easter Sunday 2014, we lost 2-0 to Everton. Giggsy, who had been dropped, went mad after that match when Everton fans surrounded our bus and started abusing us. One of them threw something that bounced off the coach window. Giggsy stood up on the coach and shouted: “fecking Everton fans are now taking the piss out of us. Enough is enough.”

Thanks for this, must search that book out. Love me a bit of Evra.

I think this is the cycle when a manager has lost the players. Leaks to the press etc only help push a manager towards the exit. This chapter will soon be closed. We have to trust the process!

The Siege

Also, actively entertain the idea that the players are shit because the manager's shit.
Players don't make individual errors in isolation necessarily. If the system they're playing in is pulling them in a bunch of different directions, it takes a mental and physical toll on players where their errors increase.

johanovic

United are constantly getting outrun and outworked by other sides. Pep, Klopp, Simone and Nagelsman all put great demands on their players to be able to run and sprint as much or better than any other team they are facing. We run less, tackle less, press less than any of those teams. How in feck can a coaching team at a club like United fail season after season to put forward a team that does the basic fundementals of football way below par compaired to other top clubs in Europe? It does not matter how good the players are or what kind of a system we play IF we can never outrun or outwork the other teams. I like OGS as a person like most do but as an figurehead of a club that calls itself the biggest club in the world he´s so out of his depth is just sad to see....having a happy go lucky manager in charge of what should be a ruthless professional team that always gives a maxium effort can never work...he´s afraid to call the shots and make difficult decisions and the lineup and tactics he decided on against Liverpool were so stupid not even a teenager playing FM would dare to try them

Polar

We all know Pogba is the lead viper, and I’m pretty sure it’s exaggerated. Pogba, Martial, Bailly aren’t unfamiliar with rioting, and Lingard and AVB have off course nothing to loss by joining the rebels.

led_scholes

The players we had under Moyes and LVG or even Jose are not the same. This is a common thing. If I am not mistaken, Bayern players were vocal against Ancelloti and Kovac. It didn't turn to be that bad for the team eventually.

Sviken

PLAYERS WANT TO WIN AND HAVE A COMPETENT MANAGER?! Utterly shocking for us. Yep, give Ole another 3 years contract with an option for a 1 year extension.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Big clubs have big players, who have massive egos. Managing those egos is part of the job, if you can’t handle it then it’s another reason why the job is too big for you. Ole might be a legend in the fans’ eyes with everyone singing his name after getting smashed to pieces every week but in that dressing room we have players ranging from very good to elite, they’ve tasted success at the very top and want more.

Zen86

I don't think our dressing room is particularly underhanded or "vipery", although I can see Ronaldo upsetting the dynamics somewhat.

Enigma_87

You know who
I thought Ole elevated the morale? Brought the team spirit? Yadda, yadda..

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
In the past it’s been that way but these aren’t players not playing for the manager, these are players being given inadequate instructions.

You might as well put them out against Spurs with no manager. It’s the same thing as having Ole looking glum and confused in the dug out.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Gotta love the mob on here thinking everything is fine when someone in that dressing room has thrown Maguire, Greenwood, McKenna, Ole and countless knows who else under the bus in the last 20 hours alone. We’re a fecking mess, from the unity and spirit of last year to this.

Sviken

I don't think our dressing room is particularly underhanded or "vipery", although I can see Ronaldo upsetting the dynamics somewhat.
Ronaldo is actually one of the few that hasn't aired any grievance towards Ole so far in public, nor in private, despite looking increasingly frustrated in matches. I don't think he is very happy to have Ole as a manager, but he is nevertheless respectful enough towards Ole. The rest are not so kind. They seem to see Ole as a charlatan that has no place or abilities to be in charge of this club. The questioning of the tactics, both in private and public, is especially brutal.

Pronewbie

Peep
Human nature at play here. Ole did well getting this group united but tactically just wasn't good enough. May have also been too soft just to appease some
To identify the toxic players, you just need to observe the on-the-pitch behaviour. Identify players that have a pattern of prioritising themselves and throw the team under the bus because things aren't going their way.

Zen86

Ronaldo is actually one of the few that hasn't aired any grievance towards Ole so far in public, nor in private, despite looking increasingly frustrated in matches. I don't think he is very happy to have Ole as a manager, but he is nevertheless respectful enough towards Ole. The rest are not so kind. They seem to see Ole as a charlatan that has no place or abilities to be in charge of this club. The questioning of the tactics, both in private and public, is especially brutal.
You seem to have a lot of insight into our dressing room. I must have missed all these public criticisms of our tactics by the players.

Sviken

You seem to have a lot of insight into our dressing room. I must have missed all these public criticisms of our tactics by the players.
Been living under a rock these past two days?

Zen86

Been living under a rock these past two days?
I can't say I've been following the media too closely, no. Feel free to show me instances of these grievances being aired in public (and I don't mean anything with "our sources.." or "source close to..").

Sviken

I can't say I've been following the media too closely, no. Feel free to show me instances of these grievances being aired in public (and I don't mean anything with "our sources.." or "source close to..").
Well, if you don't like "our sources" and "sources close to", then you'd be okay to know that Bruno, Pogba and Shaw has outright questioned the tactics and coaching in the media. Is that enough evidence for you?

Zen86

Well, if you don't like "our sources" and "sources close to", then you'd be okay to know that Bruno, Pogba and Shaw has outright questioned the tactics and coaching in the media. Is that enough evidence for you?
Fair enough. What have they said that's so out of line?

binary bot
Stories come about every manager.

They only make headlines in cases of blatant incompetence

These threads come up every time a manager is doing poorly and under pressure. Snakes, overpaid primadonnas, throwing the manager under the bus, get them all out, etc. etc.

Luckily, the squad looks pretty different now vs 2016 and 2018, so at least we know this is a new nest - unless Jones has actually been the king cobra / viper puppetmaster all along!

AndySmith1990

There's nothing wrong with employees losing confidence in the management and underperformimg as a result. It happens in any industry.

The most concerning thing and our biggest problem by far is the ineptitude of the people that run this club. Unfortunately there's no getting rid of them.

Maticmaker

As I am led to believe there are four levels to Team Development;

Level 1 FORMING - assembling the participants, fitting round pegs in round holes etc.
Level 2 STORMING - getting all the arguments and aggravations, (personal and technical) unearthed and out in the open, i.e. crying and stamping of feet etc.
Level 3 NORMING - beginning to look like and act like a team, each member understanding their own and every body else's role, identifying and agreeing tactics
Level 4 PERFORMINING - Putting all the planning and development into action and getting results, winning things etc.

At times its looked liked we might have progressed into level 2, but we are still miles off levels 3 and 4, possibly because we have constantly failed in Level 1, still too many square pegs trying to be fitted into round holes!

Lets hope the next manager squares all the holes or rounds all the pegs...first!

ToToMarshall

I can’t help feeling this is a bit dramatic.

This is just how modern football works now. Managers/head coaches don’t have that kind of totalitarian control of a club anymore, bar a few examples like maybe Pep at City at the moment they’re not as integral to the day to do running of a club as they used to be. Managers are even more disposable than players, they cost less, get paid less, and it’s much easier to get rid of one manager and replace him than it is to clear out 10 (or however many players it may be in any given situation) players who want him out and replace all of them.

Sviken

Fair enough. What have they said that's so out of line?
Questioned the tactics and coaching?

"We have a lot to improve on and the coach also knows there has to be some improvement at their end but that is part of football."

That enough to you? Or is your idea of "out of line" is for them to say that Ole is utterly incompetent and should get the sack?

lilcurt

In all fairness I don't blame the players for this one. Not much has come out in the last couple of years and only is now as everyone expected him to be sacked.

If I'm a professional player who has put in the work to be where I am and sign for a top club, I'd be pretty disgusted to be coached by this lot.

At to that the treatment of some of the squad, Donny, Eric, Amad, Matic etc and I can see why some wouldn't piss on Ole if he was on fire.

If a player isn't good enough the are dropped and shown the door. Why is it different with the manager who is LEVELS below where he should be.

lilcurt

"We have a lot to improve on and the coach also knows there has to be some improvement at their end but that is part of football."

That enough to you? Or is your idea of "out of line" is for them to say that Ole is utterly incompetent and should get the sack?
But why should the players shoulder the blame and be scrutinised if the training and tactics are as poor as we now all suspect they are?

Zen86

:lol: is that it? There's nothing particularly out of line there.

Sviken

But why should the players shoulder the blame and be scrutinised if the training and tactics are as poor as we now all suspect they are?
Who says that? The players are absolutely right to criticize Ole and his ineptitude.

:lol: is that it? There's nothing particularly out of line there.
Okay, it's nothing. Keep living in Disneyland.

padzilla

Hipster
I am completely of a mind that Ole is nowhere good enough for the job of managing Manchester United and never will be but I am equally convinced that many of the players wearing our shirts week in, week out are also not up to it for one reason or another.
There's no excuse for a complete capitulation at home in the biggest game of the season in the league, they should be ashamed of themselves.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
No names have come out and you don't know who all are expressing the concern. Also, if you ask anyone after a 5-0 dubbing, they will just lash it out. Feck, even SAF would say we are so bad.
Having said that, our manager is clueless and our coaching staff is so incompetent. Players are right. If they voice their opinion, you listen to them. This is not the old times where everyone should just listen to the manager always.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
They threw Mourinho under the bus briefing the media to get rid of him and are now doing the same with Solksjaer.
There were similar tales under LVG and Moyes - it's clear we have a rotten bunch of prima donnas who are not prepared to accept blame.
The likes of Maguire and Shaw regularly put in dreadful performances and then slabber on social media about making it right and keeping the faith.
We need clowns like them out - surely if it's the end for Solksjaer it should also be the end for most of the frauds wearing United shirts these days like Maguire, Shaw, Lindelof, Fred, McTominay, AWB and Martial who simply are not good enough.
Don't put this on players. Every kid knows it's our coaching and manager. Let's not try to get a middle ground here stating players are also responsible for it. It's not. It's purely the manager and staff

Sviken

No names have come out and you don't know who all are expressing the concern. Also, if you ask anyone after a 5-0 dubbing, they will just lash it out. Feck, even SAF would say we are so bad.
If there is smoke, there is fire. You don't get these rumblings if the manager hasn't lost the dressing room. The fact that two of the leaders in this team in Bruno and Pogba have outright questioned the tactics in the media is sufficient enough proof. And these comments were made before Pool even smacked us around.