What's happened to De Gea?

drdoityourself

Just don't see any other PL keeper make those kinds of mistakes these days. Now he's making them quite frequently. We've tolerated a lack of aerial presence because of his elite shot stopping. We needed to be clever, the signs we're there, but now I feel we've shot ourselves in the foot with another massive, unmovable contract.

LisburnWhite

He looks like a goalkeeper who has the golfing equivalent of the yips.
Agree with the comments above that he was a major part of the reason why we didn't get 4th last year. We could all give him a pass on that because of the credit he has in the bag but he just seems to lost all focus again at the wrong time of the season.
Ole has a big decision to make but for what's it's worth think he needs to at least drop him for a while.

Irwin99

I think he's just mentally weak. He bottles the big games when we need a win
But he's put in enormous performances before in big games against Real Madrid Liverpool Arsenal Chelsea etc. It's just baffling the change in his form in the past two years or so.

Dansk

It's hardly unexpected of a player who has openly tried to get away from the club. We've seen this thing happen countless times across the sport. He tried his best to leave but was hindered by varyious odd bits of happenstance. That's what happens with big stars. If they're lesser names who can't make the move they wanted because the club they tried to go to didn't want them, there's a higher chance that they'll be satisfied to stay where there is. With a world class player who could go almost anywhere they want but is prevented from doing so, you lose something because their heart isn't 100% in it anymore.

lilcurt

Needs to be benched for the West Ham game. You can't let players make this many mistakes and just keep saying, "he's the best in the world for me."

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I think when he has too long to think he cannot make the save. If its a reflex reaction save he can make them. When he has a second to think about it he has messed it up quite often as recent.

crossy1686

career ending
But he's put in enormous performances before in big games against Real Madrid Liverpool Arsenal Chelsea etc. It's just baffling the change in his form in the past two years or so.
I think he just doesn't want to be here, he's tried to leave multiple times. Think's he can get away with putting half shifts in for some games.

FujiVice

Roy Keane used to say this about lesser players at United. Some players excel in the small pond. When we are shite, its easy to stand out and go "look at me saving these cnuts again." Even at his best club form, he was shite for Spain. Eventually, your lack of leadership, you willingness to never move from outside your six yard box and your unwillingness to develop your distribution will catch up with you. And it certainly has with him.

Jev

I think he has generally been quite good since the lockdown. Some mistakes but plenty of outstanding saves, overall solid. Today was a really weird one and you fear it could lead to a relapse of insecurity.

crossy1686

career ending
I think he has generally been quite good since the lockdown. Some mistakes but plenty of outstanding saves, overall solid. Today was a really weird one and you fear it could lead to a relapse of insecurity.
He was decent until we had a semi final and we have to win our league games again. He's got a mistake in him every time we need a win

The Urban Goose

He's done. He was done last season when his howlers cost us the hard fought top-4 place. Then it was blamed on his contract situation, what's the excuse this season?

The club should've seen this coming, he's always had fairly poor positioning and a complete lack of dominance of the area and has relied on his reflexes. The old goalkeeping adage of getting better with age assumes a keeper can rely on positioning and dominance to make up for a slowing down of reflexes. When a keeper can't do that, it's a very swift fall from grace. Take Casillas for example.

No wonder he came out saying he wants to stay here long term; we've got ourselves into another Rooney/Sanchez situation.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Should not be our #1 next season.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
There’s reports from some of the players at the club that they prefer playing with Romero behind them because he talks more and puts them at ease
Sounds like utter bullshit tbf. The sort of things Twitter ITKs would throw out.

Milo2035

The most overrated, overpaid GK in history of football.
And I'm not sure overrated is the right word since only United rate him.

Betson

Don't know what happened to him , but I know what should happen now.

Every successful manager has a ruthless streak in them , and it is time for Ole to show that here. Loyalty should not come into it.

Donut

How long does he have left on his contract? Is it 4 more years?

0le

He can't be our #1 anymore. Its time to give Henderson a crack at it when he returns.

Mindhunter

He is not having a good time and has definitely become progressively worse. But saying that he is the most overrated GK in history is just knee-jerk bs. Tone down your criticism.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I've been critical of him once or twice, but almost always defended him against - what I considered - unfair criticism given his service to the club. But it has to be said, he's a liability at the moment. Zero confidence. If he doesn't shake this off asap, we're going to have to address this.

Whether Henderson is ready for it, I think they should be competing against each other for being #1. There is no one who is going to take an error prone de Gea on 350K a week, at this stage.

Cpt Negative

whilst he’s had a very poor season, with respect, your talking absolute bollocks.

it might be the right time to move him on, he might be “finished” as some are saying, but at least try and think back past the last season before spouting nonSense

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Is this his Karius moment. Shipped off and improved on instantly. Who’s idea was it to give him a bumper new deal, sack them :eek:

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Sounds like utter bullshit tbf. The sort of things Twitter ITKs would throw out.
Based on what you can see on the field, there might be some merit to that. The defense looks far more stable when Romero plays. Noticed that a while ago.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He needs to be dropped pronto and Romero needs to start against West Ham. And if possible he needs to be shipped out when the season is over.

The Purley King

Ozil like liability.
Should be nowhere near the 1st XI at the moment.
I don’t care what we are paying him.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
This £350k+ a week contract is looking more and more ridiculous.

whilst he’s had a very poor season, with respect, your talking absolute bollocks.

it might be the right time to move him on, he might be “finished” as some are saying, but at least try and think back past the last season before spouting nonSense
100% agree. For 5 years he was unquestionably one of the best goalkeepers in the world. That doesn’t mean sentiment should get in the way - but to say he was overrated is revisionism at its finest.

Pathetic fanbase.